Snetterton Combine races and late Colin Armes

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 carrotcruncher

carrotcruncher

• 100 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:52

Dear all.
is there any other enthusiast out t they here who may have pictures of the old Snetterton Combine races and Colin Armes invoilvement?
There seems little information out there or am I just looking in the wrong place, Remember those days fondly as that was the time I started going to my local circuit.
Many changed since 1968 and not always for the better,so come on guys dig out those old photos and let us wallow in nostalgia once again,
Regards to all.
David aka carrotcruncher

Advertisement

#2 dixie

dixie

• 65 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:13

Dear all.
is there any other enthusiast out t they here who may have pictures of the old Snetterton Combine races and Colin Armes invoilvement?
There seems little information out there or am I just looking in the wrong place, Remember those days fondly as that was the time I started going to my local circuit.
Many changed since 1968 and not always for the better,so come on guys dig out those old photos and let us wallow in nostalgia once again,
Regards to all.
David aka carrotcruncher

I raced in quite a few or those races in the late 60's. My brother has a load of photos but unfortunately as put them in such a safe place even he doesn't know where they are. I do however have a load of Snetterton programmes from that era so i f I can help youwith anything through them I will only too pleased to assist. Regards, Michael :clap:

#3 tonyed

tonyed

• 981 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:17

Dear all.
Regards to all.
David aka carrotcruncher

Got most of the programs from 1967 thru to 1982 including clubmans, nationals, internationals from when I was racing and before including the 2004 Snetterton Combine Reunion.

Right from 1967 thru to 1982 the 'national' program front cover featured a silhouette John Cooper on his Norton.

I have some photos on me racing at Snetterton during that era and somewhere a photograph of hailwood picking up the Honda a at the old hairpin in the wet in 1967.

#4 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:03

Seen 'many' times before, photo from my first ever race meeting Snetterton Combine April? 1971
Posted Image
Photo Copyrighted to Graham Etheridge.

#5 tonyed

tonyed

• 981 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:27

Seen 'many' times before, photo from my first ever race meeting Snetterton Combine April? 1971
Posted Image

12 Mike Trimby
29 Bob Bentley

At the bomb hole coming under the bridge off the Home Straight

I was on my 250 Chat Greeves that day

#6 carrotcruncher

carrotcruncher

• 100 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:36

Thanks to all who replied,
I understand that Mr Armes was not a man to cross, yet he was helpful and lenient towards some of the club racers.
I recall hearing that he was responsible for getting all of the East Anglian clubs to work together , to further club r
acing especially ,Anyone got tales or experiences to tell? I know that his wife, Marie, was often kind and helpful to some of the less well off racers.
I also used to attend the motocross meetings at Cadders Hill ,great times with my young family.
Please try to keep the info. pictures and experiences coming.
All good stuff
Regards,David

#7 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 978 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 15:50

I remember them both being regular faces at the TT, along with Phil their son who was a pretty handy rider, I think Phil suffered serious injuries in a racing accident which confined him to a wheelchair in the mid to late 90's

Colin was pretty hard nosed when he had to be, just like Jim Parker who recently passed away, but in fairness those guys had a big old job to do and had to stay focussed on the big picture, so yes they could all bite at times but generally they got the important stuff sorted out and kept the meetings going.

I found Colin to be spot on in my limited dealings with him, but as you say he was very black and white and didn't suffer fools.

#8 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 18:07

12 Mike Trimby
29 Bob Bentley

At the bomb hole coming under the bridge off the Home Straight

I was on my 250 Chat Greeves that day

I have the beginings of a slight inkling that the bloke in the middle is John Goodhall.

#9 RC162

RC162

• 332 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 19:44

I remember them both being regular faces at the TT, along with Phil their son who was a pretty handy rider, I think Phil suffered serious injuries in a racing accident which confined him to a wheelchair in the mid to late 90's

Colin was pretty hard nosed when he had to be, just like Jim Parker who recently passed away, but in fairness those guys had a big old job to do and had to stay focussed on the big picture, so yes they could all bite at times but generally they got the important stuff sorted out and kept the meetings going.

I found Colin to be spot on in my limited dealings with him, but as you say he was very black and white and didn't suffer fools.

Colin was always very fair to me and would help me get a ride in most nationals at Snetterton. I remember being at Spa for the 24hr race in I think 1998 and a British lad had come over with his kit hoping for a ride which he got with one of the teams but sadly he was killed either in practice or during the race and I wish I could remember his name but Colin was the ACU rep for this event and he had to deal with everything as a result of this lads death and it can't be easy. Does anyone remember who the rider was ?

#10 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 20:27

Lee Pullan was killed at Spa in 1996, is it him racing one of Russell Bennys bikes when he hit a marshal who had gone onto track to retrieve a piece of someone else's bodywork.

Edited by picblanc, 13 August 2013 - 20:29.

#11 tonyed

tonyed

• 981 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:27

I have the beginings of a slight inkling that the bloke in the middle is John Goodhall.

Must admit I too thought it was John, however I chated and looked in the program and Mr G is not enetred. It is a low number and a white sidepalte which indicates a machine of over 500cc capacity, yet it still looks like John Goodall.

Answers ona £50 note please.

#12 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:38

Must admit I too thought it was John, however I chated and looked in the program and Mr G is not enetred. It is a low number and a white sidepalte which indicates a machine of over 500cc capacity, yet it still looks like John Goodall.

When blown up it looks like blue side plates. He was racing a 7R back then. Maybe he snuck a ride somehow?

#13 RC162

RC162

• 332 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:07

Lee Pullan was killed at Spa in 1996, is it him racing one of Russell Bennys bikes when he hit a marshal who had gone onto track to retrieve a piece of someone else's bodywork.

Yes Lee Pullan and two years earlier than I thought. Tragic accident that one. I can remember them calling for Colin Armes over the tannoy after it happened.

#14 carrotcruncher

carrotcruncher

• 100 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:24

Thanks again guys,
I had forgotten the tragedy at Spa , also that Phil Armes had been a regular rider .Must have been hard to keep on doing his ((Colins) job under the circumstances, Perhaps that was one of the things that made him so determined. His "uniform of blazer and flannels always made him easy to spot at any race meeting, I used to feel that things were safer and more under control when he was visible. Good bloke who no doubt upset some, but mostly for reasons of safety rather than principle . Anyone remember the regulars of those days, many for me are lost in the mists of time(too much time playing Tetrus I suspect , still I got really good!)
Very slightly OT, how many of us can recall the lines of various bikes parked that were a source of interest to us enthusiasts , specially in the breaks between races at snetterton ,and the awful commentary,By that I mean the loudspeakers that often did not work, Not our own Uncle Norman, much missed.Bet you all know somebody from those days, Do tell, please.
Regards,David

#15 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:26

Not on a £50 note but its #9 John Wilcox on a 350 Honda.

#16 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 20:16

Snetterton 1976 Easter Monday Snett Combine meeting, Russell Chicane.
Posted Image

#17 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,720 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 20:55

Yes, at Blanchimont. :cry:

#18 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 21:32

Les Kenny Easter Monday 1976 Snetterton Combine meeting.
Posted Image

#19 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:07

Easter Monday 1975 Snetterton Combine meeting, mixed morning practice session, lots of familiar riders here, photo seen before but not for a while?
Posted Image

Advertisement

#20 carrotcruncher

carrotcruncher

• 100 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:28

Thanks to all for your help,
I do recall the sad story of Lee Pullan, and how very hard it must have been to deal with. I admired his bravery and tenacity when riding at Snetterton. On a slightiy happier note the shot by Picblanc astonished me at how much the terrain of Snetterton has changed since those days, to see a Transit on the skyline behind Russell was slightly weird, but then in those impoverished days I could not afford to enter the infield, normally watched from the old bombhole stand, when if you could get to the top at right of stand you could see much of the track. You must have taken that pic laying on your stomach, Graham!
All good information/memories chaps, PLEASE try to keep it coming.
Regards to all,David

Edited by carrotcruncher, 15 August 2013 - 12:30.

#21 tonyed

tonyed

• 981 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 17:03

Snetterton 1976 Easter Monday Snett Combine meeting, Russell Chicane.
Posted Image

Er Yes guilty as charged No5 on my 250 Marvel Yamaha TD2B

No6 Trevor Wise
No35 Roger Santon
No70 George Hardwick
No11 Tony Jarvis (Kaos abounds)
Then in the next paddock photo ME AGAIN (same helmet) with a few alsorans fearing my inevitable challenge in the bar afterwards.

Edited by tonyed, 15 August 2013 - 17:04.

#22 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 19:57

Wayne Dinham 1975 Easter Monday Snett Combine meeting, Wayne rounding Coram Curve as it used to be called!
Posted Image

#23 carrotcruncher

carrotcruncher

• 100 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:33

Thanks again, Graham
post no 19 crossed with my post 20,oh.............the clouds of two stroke and some very familiar old(ish) faces.Wish it could have been bottled and sold as aftershave ,I, d have bought it by the pallet and have two sons who are as keen as me. Not sure how it would would have been viewed by the ladies , but that's a minor concern.
I love the one of Wayne Dinham , but what happened to the grass/wheat?
I always recall the infield as being green, not playing with the images again, are you?
Probably the old grey matter letting me down again.
Getting back to Colin Armes , was,nt he the owner of Slaughters Motorcycles in Oak Street in Norwich. Or am I muddled yet again.
Regards to all, once more,
David

#24 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:40

Hi David, its Easter & the crops are not through yet, just the ploughed field?

#25 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:46

Better shot of the fields, Brian Hussey on his 350 Harley Davidson Aermacchi same day in 1975.
Posted Image

#26 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:57

Your right about the smell David, I used to get to the races early & to see & hear the bikes warming up first thing in the morning & then get a wiff of the Castrol? smell, lovely!! Another from that 1975 Easter meeting, Alan Sansum & his outfit with Phil Landeg #85 push starting his TZ in background with a haze of blue smoke across the photo!! :D
Posted Image

#27 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:59

Just struck me how different it is now days, not a motorhome insight here or awning etc, it WAS better back then wasn't it!?

#28 knickerbrook

knickerbrook

• 1,231 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 14:30

Too right it was Graham - keep the old photos coming matey :up: .

I reckon this is Brian "Fred" Hussey also.
Posted Image

#29 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 15:35

Indeed it is Barry, is that one of your friends new stash!? :up:

#30 knickerbrook

knickerbrook

• 1,231 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 15:40

Yes - but one of the very few national shots amongst mostly club stuff.

#31 tonyed

tonyed

• 981 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 16:04

Thanks again, Graham
post no 19 crossed with my post 20,oh.............the clouds of two stroke and some very familiar old(ish) faces.Wish it could have been bottled and sold as aftershave ,I, d have bought it by the pallet and have two sons who are as keen as me. Not sure how it would would have been viewed by the ladies , but that's a minor concern.
I love the one of Wayne Dinham , but what happened to the grass/wheat?
I always recall the infield as being green, not playing with the images again, are you?
Probably the old grey matter letting me down again.
Getting back to Colin Armes , was,nt he the owner of Slaughters Motorcycles in Oak Street in Norwich. Or am I muddled yet again.
Regards to all, once more,
David

Stop fermenting the carrot juice :blush:

#32 RC162

RC162

• 332 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 17:39

Thanks again guys,
I had forgotten the tragedy at Spa , also that Phil Armes had been a regular rider .Must have been hard to keep on doing his ((Colins) job under the circumstances, Perhaps that was one of the things that made him so determined. His "uniform of blazer and flannels always made him easy to spot at any race meeting, I used to feel that things were safer and more under control when he was visible. Good bloke who no doubt upset some, but mostly for reasons of safety rather than principle . Anyone remember the regulars of those days, many for me are lost in the mists of time(too much time playing Tetrus I suspect , still I got really good!)
Very slightly OT, how many of us can recall the lines of various bikes parked that were a source of interest to us enthusiasts , specially in the breaks between races at snetterton ,and the awful commentary,By that I mean the loudspeakers that often did not work, Not our own Uncle Norman, much missed.Bet you all know somebody from those days, Do tell, please.
Regards,David

Hi David. Are you and old Norfolk boy then ? If so I'll throw some local lads names your way and see who you remember. Greg Page, Grant Goodings, Mike James, Andy Watts, Andy Bond, Kevin Clarke, Bob Capps, Gordon Russell etc.

#33 RC162

RC162

• 332 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:48

It is nice to see that Phil Armes will be riding in the Manx winners parade at the Classic TT on an adapted bike. Has anyone any info on what this is and how it has been modified to allow Phil to ride it ?

#34 carrotcruncher

carrotcruncher

• 100 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 15:26

Hi Picblanc,
thanks Graham for pointing out my very elementary mistake, and YES RC162 i,m a good old Norfolk boy, born and bred so I should know better!
I recall Andy Bond and Andy Watts in particular, though the other names are not so recognisable, but I am getting on a bit now, bor . Really glad that I am not the only one who prefers the days before motorhomes and huge trucks with every spare part you possibly needed .
Did you guys really consider it safe to race when concrete posts lined the inside of the corners?
Much braver than me, you mad lot.Just realised as I type that Dennis Slaughter ran the Slaughters bike shop in Oak Street,so apologies to Colin and his family.I am sure however that Dennis was very involved with Lyng, can recall him at the end of one race where a rider had gone down,and he was not satisfied with the flag marshal,he ran into the track in his shirtsleeves to try and slow the flying bikes,having just crested a blind brow,immediately before the start and finish line.
Much enjoy the pics Graham,please keep us enjoying them.
Regards to all
David.

#35 carrotcruncher

carrotcruncher

• 100 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 15:28

Hi Picblanc,
thanks Graham for pointing out my very elementary mistake, and YES RC162 i,m a good old Norfolk boy, born and bred so I should know better!
I recall Andy Bond and Andy Watts in particular, though the other names are not so recognisable, but I am getting on a bit now, bor . Really glad that I am not the only one who prefers the days before motorhomes and huge trucks with every spare part you possibly needed .
Did you guys really consider it safe to race when concrete posts lined the inside of the corners?
Much braver than me, you mad lot.Just realised as I type that Dennis Slaughter ran the Slaughters bike shop in Oak Street,so apologies to Colin and his family.I am sure however that Dennis was very involved with Lyng, can recall him at the end of one race where a rider had gone down,and he was not satisfied with the flag marshal,he ran into the track in his shirtsleeves to try and slow the flying bikes,having just crested a blind brow,immediately before the start and finish line.
Much enjoy the pics Graham,please keep us enjoying them.
Regards to all
David.

#36 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 21:55

More Snett Combine Easter Monday 1976, & trying out posting on new forum! here goes!!
SNETTAPR1976STARTPRACTICE2013wm_zps0e514

It works!!

Edited by picblanc, 20 August 2013 - 21:57.

#37 tonyed

tonyed

• 981 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 17:38

It works!!

Mon Dieu (as Delboy might have said)

Geoff Bastard a racing son of Norfolk, now resident in the US of A. Changed his name to Barr to relieve his Irish born wife (name Ama) the obvious grief.

Geoff n me 1980 Junior MGP both just won replicas (he beat me the  Bastard :rolleyes: )  I averaged 95.07 and Goeff average 97.01 mph anfd the rear tyres are still good for another 6 laps on the Friday in the Senior when Geoff won another replica and my TZ350 had to retire at the Creg on lap 1 when the water temp gauge seal split and it overheated, well it split at Brandywell and I coasted to the Creg to ensure I didn't overheat :smoking:, if you get my drift). No pitting for a new tyre very two laps, at Ken Inwoods prices it would have mean't a dry old Manx (only joking :confused: )

A nicer guy you'd be hard pushed to meet. He built the 500cc Crescent I won the Newmarket championship on (twice 1977 and 1978, seems like only yesterday, well it is, almost, at my age) 

ik3p.jpg

Edited by tonyed, 21 August 2013 - 17:59.

#38 RC162

RC162

• 332 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 17:54

More Snett Combine Easter Monday 1976, & trying out posting on new forum! here goes!!
SNETTAPR1976STARTPRACTICE2013wm_zps0e514

It works!!

Is that Steve Parker with all the stars ?

#39 tonyed

tonyed

• 981 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 18:02

Only Steve Parker had all those stars. But so did someone else, who was it now :confused:  (Steve Ellis) 

Advertisement

#40 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 18:11

Is that Steve Parker with all the stars ?

Yes Robin, Brian Kemp was another with stars.

#41 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 18:25

Tony in the background of this 1975 Snett shot is a Cresent & Green Bedford van, yours or Geoff's maybe?
http://i20.photobuck...zps14d42749.jpg

#42 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 18:42

Why is the tool icon bar greyed out so I cant post up photos only link to photo?

#43 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 22:07

Good on ya Phil.
http://www.bbc.co.uk...orfolk-23784594

#44 carrotcruncher

carrotcruncher

• 100 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:58

Hear,Hear, Picblanc,  

re Phil Armes wish him well in his endeavours, hope all goes well for him. 

Just how and why did the Snetterton Combine happen?  I realise now how clever you guys are  ,we are talking about a series I know very little  of its origins, Note to self ,stop drinking the carrot whisky.

Regards to all, :drunk:

David(carrot cruncher)

#45 tonyed

tonyed

• 981 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 18:03

Tony in the background of this 1975 Snett shot is a Cresent & Green Bedford van, yours or Geoff's maybe?
http://i20.photobuck...zps14d42749.jpg

That is not a Crescent adjacent to the Bedord CF. Although I did have CF it was not green. I can't remember Geoff having a CF or Peter (the only other Crescent racer of the time) and that is not his bike (wrong colour). It may be a Konig (looks Konigy). to many people (and I am not suggesting you) one hydroplane engined bike was confused with the other. Usually they were all Konigs as that was the more famous of the two. but, as you know, totally different. Tank shape on the Konigs (unless it was  Seeley framed one like Alan Blasdells) were different to the Crescents although again Peters and Willy Ryans were Seeley framed.

#46 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 18:33

OK thanks Tony, just found out its not from Snett combine meeting its from Newmarket & District meeting July 12th 1975, only #2 was you & a 125 Bantam rider Andy Francis. dosnt look like a Bantam to me, but there again I thought it was a Cresent!

#47 BillPentelow

BillPentelow

• 121 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 20:02

RC162   carrotcruncher, on Aug 14 2013, 08:24, said:

snapback.png

Thanks again guys,
Regards,David

Hi David. Are you and old Norfolk boy then ? If so I'll throw some local lads names your way and see who you remember. Greg Page, Grant Goodings, Mike James, Andy Watts, Andy Bond, Kevin Clarke, Bob Capps, Gordon Russell etc.

You missed Peter Lee out

#48 BillPentelow

BillPentelow

• 121 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 20:07

Graham in your post 36, No 58 is myself with no screen as usual!

#49 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 20:53

Yes it is Bill, Team Yamaha leathers. :up:

#50 Revetts

Revetts

• 41 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 21:11

RC162   carrotcruncher, on Aug 14 2013, 08:24, said:

snapback.png

You missed Peter Lee out

I remember most of those riders including Peter Lee.  How about adding Dick Aldous to your list?  Great subject matter. Even spotted myself behind my brother in the Snetterton paddock photo.