Photo
* * - - - 11 votes

Kimi Raikkonen confirmed at Ferrari for 2018 [updated]

• Please log in to reply
1076 replies to this topic

Poll: new Scuderia contract for Kimi (461 member(s) have cast votes)

Kimi at Ferrari ?

1. please no more (306 votes [66.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 66.38%

2. yes, give him a new contract (155 votes [33.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.62%

If I responded yes to the first question, reason is

1. I feel he deserves it based on the results (148 votes [37.37%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 37.37%

2. I want Vettel to have a support driver (59 votes [14.90%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.90%

3. I didn't vote yes to the first question (189 votes [47.73%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 47.73%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#451 charly0418

charly0418

• 3,289 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 15:52

So Haas just announced both drivers are coming back, no Grosjean at Ferrari

Sainz is staying at TR as well, maaaaybe gets bought out by Renault but I doubt it

Both Red Bull drivers are locked

And I know for a fact Perez aint moving to Ferrari

Other than a surprise promotion of Leclerc it looks like Kimi is coming back

Advertisement

#452 VolvoT5

VolvoT5

• 3,178 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 16:37

Other than a surprise promotion of Leclerc it looks like Kimi is coming back

Well I think so too, unless something crazy happens like Alonso returning or Ferrari managing to steal Verstappen or Ricciardo... all highly unlikely...  

Vettel appears to be after a deal which includes keeping Kimi as his team mate as well so...  

#453 BillBald

BillBald

• 5,819 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 18:01

Well I think so too, unless something crazy happens like Alonso returning or Ferrari managing to steal Verstappen or Ricciardo... all highly unlikely...  

Vettel appears to be after a deal which includes keeping Kimi as his team mate as well so...  

If Kimi manages to stay reasonably motivated until it's contract time, he seems to be pretty assured of continuing with Ferrari.

But next year, if the Renault PU shows some improvement and brings the Red Bulls closer, we might get used to seeing Kimi finishing 6th in a lot of races. Good enough for Ferrari?

#454 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 18:07

If Kimi manages to stay reasonably motivated until it's contract time, he seems to be pretty assured of continuing with Ferrari.

But next year, if the Renault PU shows some improvement and brings the Red Bulls closer, we might get used to seeing Kimi finishing 6th in a lot of races. Good enough for Ferrari?

Certainly not, but who do you suppose would do better? If the RBs improve (due to an improved PU), we would very likely see Vettel off the podium as well. Is there anyone (in your opinion) available, who could challenge and occasionally  outperform Vettel.

#455 travbrad

travbrad

• 1,058 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 18:31

Somehow I don't think Vettel would be too happy with Verstappen as a teammate.  Even in an inferior car he was able to hold up Vettel for half the last race.  In equal machinery the temper tantrums would reach a whole new level.  I'd love to see it though of course.   :p  Same for Ricciardo "Hey Sebastian we are hiring the guy who beat you the one season you were teammates".

#456 Oho

Oho

• 11,844 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 19:48

Perhaps the moderators could rename this thread 'Open season on Vettel and Räikkönen alike', would much better reflect its contents as of late...

#457 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,921 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 20:15

Disappointing if Kimi stays. If Ferrarimis just looking for a place-holder until Verstappen comes along then it would surely be better to give someone else a stab at it. I'd still be interested to see what Grosjean might do in that car. He might do absolutely nothing, but rather that than just let Kimi lumber along without any apparent ambition.

#458 RaikkonenFan96

RaikkonenFan96

• 239 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 21:09

Disappointing if Kimi stays. If Ferrarimis just looking for a place-holder until Verstappen comes along then it would surely be better to give someone else a stab at it. I'd still be interested to see what Grosjean might do in that car. He might do absolutely nothing, but rather that than just let Kimi lumber along without any apparent ambition.

Apparent ambition?, why this is still even questioned, guy has 2 kids, wife and hundreds of millions to his name. Why else he would compete anymore if he ain't looking for success?.

Again I can only wonder why some people think they should give second seat to somebody else just because they should :confused:

Edited by RaikkonenFan96, 21 July 2017 - 21:10.

#459 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 21:16

According to Turrini we could hear some news about second Ferrari driver today (22th of july). If and yes Vettel stays, the only choices for second seat are Kimi and Leclerc. I would say Kimi will stay for 2018 and Leclerc will take his place after he retires.

Edited by Vesuvius, 21 July 2017 - 21:17.

Advertisement

#460 tghik

tghik

• 2,408 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 21:20

Apparent ambition?, why this is still even questioned, guy has 2 kids, wife and hundreds of millions to his name. Why else he would compete anymore if he ain't looking for success?.

Again I can only wonder why some people think they should give second seat to somebody else just because they should :confused:

Hey even Palmer said he is in F1 to become a champion. Your argument has no value, just because he wants doesn't mean he should be given a free ride. Remember he got a beating year after year, time to answer for lack of results. F1 audience would like to see another driver get a shot in ferrari car

#461 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 21:32

Hey even Palmer said he is in F1 to become a champion. Your argument has no value, just because he wants doesn't mean he should be given a free ride. Remember he got a beating year after year, time to answer for lack of results. F1 audience would like to see another driver get a shot in ferrari car

perhaps yes, but then again more will likely want Kimi to stay in F1. If Kimi leaves, then I would like to see Vettel- Alonso but that wont´t happend. Than I would get that seat for Leclerc, there is no other driver available who is clearly better than Kimi.

#462 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 21:34

Leclerc to Ferrari.   :D

#463 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 21:36

Leclerc to Ferrari.   :D

It´s possible, Marchionne likes him very much.

#464 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 21:41

It´s possible, Marchionne likes him very much.

It'd be an inspired move.  

And I do think Ferrari is in an 'inspired' situation right with this new organization.  

Not saying it'll definitely happen, but I can see it happening.  

#465 jals99

jals99

• 1,063 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 21:50

http://www.autosport...t-his-f1-future

Autosport sources  say Ferrari still prefers Giovanazzi over Charles, i hope it is not true

#466 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 21:53

http://www.autosport...t-his-f1-future

Autosport sources  say Ferrari still prefers Giovanazzi over Charles, i hope it is not true

it´s because Giovinazzi has already some F1 experience, Leclerc will test Ferrari at hungary next month. It would be a risky move from Ferrari to take Leclerc immediately, but let´s wait and see. I would say the most likely outcome is that Kimi will stay one more year.

#467 BillBald

BillBald

• 5,819 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 22:01

Certainly not, but who do you suppose would do better? If the RBs improve (due to an improved PU), we would very likely see Vettel off the podium as well. Is there anyone (in your opinion) available, who could challenge and occasionally  outperform Vettel.

Well, I'm guessing that Alonso would make himself available...

If they don't win a Championship this year, maybe Ferrari will get bored with team harmony. :)

#468 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 11,082 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 22:02

Ferrari is just way too conservative since the '90s.
Williams (Hill, Coulthard, Villeneuve, Hülkenberg) and McLaren (Hamilton, Magnussen and now Vandoorne) have frequently put rookies or almost rookies in their cars and it paid out for them. McLaren also hired Raikkönen when he had done just 1 season with Sauber.
Putting Leclerc in Kimi's car could revitalise the team, it could give them just the  spark that they need, a young talented driver and especially hungry driver can do that. The hunger factor is what seems missing with Kimi.

Edited by William Hunt, 21 July 2017 - 22:08.

#469 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 22:14

Well, I'm guessing that Alonso would make himself available...

If they don't win a Championship this year, maybe Ferrari will get bored with team harmony. :)

Ferrari already said that they are not interested about Alonso. 

#470 Celloman

Celloman

• 1,604 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 22:27

He took a beating against Alonso and Vettel, guys with 6 championships in total. The same way as Barrichello took a beating year after year to Schumacher, or Coulthard losing every year (except one) to Hakkinen. Yet they kept their seats for over five years. I'm sure F1 audience would like to see another driver, but there are no guarantees that Leclerc would do better than Kimi against drivers like Vettel or Alonso. In fact odds are much higher he will do worse, as all the recent "young talents" that came to F1 have failed to show any superstar signs, except for Max Verstappen. Just look at Kevin Magnussen and Stoffel Vandoorne, both were touted to be "future world champions" a couple of years ago.

#471 RaikkonenFan96

RaikkonenFan96

• 239 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 22:33

It's just very likely he will be given one, should he be given for not, that's a thing everybody has to decide themselves.

No reason to doubt Palmer's wishes to become champion, every driver wants to become one, realistic or not.

Edited by RaikkonenFan96, 21 July 2017 - 23:11.

#472 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 11,082 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 22:42

@ Celloman: you can't say that Leclerc would 'do worse' as Kimi, that's just pure speculation from your side
The only way we would know is if Ferrari would give him that car
I however believe it would be better for the team if they put a quick & hungry youngster next to Vettel instead of a driver at the end of his career who seems to be fine with just playing second fiddle to Sebastian, a young driver would give a spark to the team

Edited by William Hunt, 21 July 2017 - 22:42.

#473 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 23:11

I dont mean to be harsh, but you really have to have not paid attention to Ferrari in recent times to still think this.  

Ferrari took pretty bold steps in the past few years in terms of organization, the 2016 car was already quite a non-conservative design, and there's zero doubting that Ferrari in 2017 are about the antithesis of the Ferrari of just a few years ago, both with the radical car design, but also the forthright manner in which they've gone about hiring and firing top personnel.  

This Ferrari team in 2017 is nothing like it was in years past.  Maybe that's not super obvious to casual observers or those who dont follow this team that closely, but seriously - it's a very different beast from before.  Whether that's good or not long-term, I dont know, but 'conservative' is the last word I'd use to describe it. 

#474 RaikkonenFan96

RaikkonenFan96

• 239 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 23:14

I dont mean to be harsh, but you really have to have not paid attention to Ferrari in recent times to still think this.  

Ferrari took pretty bold steps in the past few years in terms of organization, the 2016 car was already quite a non-conservative design, and there's zero doubting that Ferrari in 2017 are about the antithesis of the Ferrari of just a few years ago, both with the radical car design, but also the forthright manner in which they've gone about hiring and firing top personnel.  

This Ferrari team in 2017 is nothing like it was in years past.  Maybe that's not super obvious to casual observers or those who dont follow this team that closely, but seriously - it's a very different beast from before.  Whether that's good or not long-term, I dont know, but 'conservative' is the last word I'd use to describe it. 

I would say Ferrari has been like football or any teamsport team, it's easier to fire manager than your players.

#475 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 11,082 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 23:16

When Enzo Ferrari was still alive they were known to be frequently taking really bold and unexpected driver moves (Gilles Villeneuve probably the most famous example), often drivers that did not have that much experience in F1 yet, and it often turned out to be an excellent choice.
The one thing I am extremely sad of is that we never got to see Stefan Bellof at Ferrari, he has signed for them for '86 but lost his life half a year before he could drive for them.

Edited by William Hunt, 21 July 2017 - 23:54.

#476 DrF

DrF

• 2,581 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 23:17

@ Celloman: you can't say that Leclerc would 'do worse' as Kimi, that's just pure speculation from your side
The only way we would know is if Ferrari would give him that car
I however believe it would be better for the team if they put a quick & hungry youngster next to Vettel instead of a driver at the end of his career who seems to be fine with just playing second fiddle to Sebastian, a young driver would give a spark to the team

If there was a "quick and hungry" driver available, do you seriously think Ferrari would hesitate? And if Kimi is no longer "hungry" whatever the hell that means, then why does he even want to continue? He has millions in the bank, two young children to miss all year long, yet he wants to keep racing. If that's not a sign of a motivated driver, then I don't know what is.

#477 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 11,082 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 23:24

McLaren didn't hesitate promoting Hamilton to their team when he was trashing oposition in GP2, Ferrari should not hesitate either and dare to take a gamble, yes they are conservative. They kept Massa too long as well.

#478 Erik89

Erik89

• 102 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 00:00

If they manage to somehow lose Vettel, they should definitely immediately go for having at least one young hungry driver in their F1 seats. I dont see anyone available in F1 to be able to replace Räikkönen, so its Leclerc, Giovinazzi, Gasly, Rosberg or no change for car number 7.

#479 ThomasCrown

ThomasCrown

• 260 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 06:08

Williams (Hill, Coulthard, Villeneuve, Hülkenberg) and McLaren (Hamilton, Magnussen and now Vandoorne) have frequently put rookies or almost rookies in their cars and it paid out for them. McLaren also hired Raikkönen when he had done just 1 season with Sauber.
Putting Leclerc in Kimi's car could revitalise the team, it could give them just the spark that they need, a young talented driver and especially hungry driver can do that. The hunger factor is what seems missing with Kimi.

And since the '90s which team has won the most Williams, McLaren or Ferrari?

Let Williams and McLaren have that needed spark/hunger factor you talk about and let Ferrari continue doing what they do, because to me it seems the Ferrari way works better.

Edited by ThomasCrown, 22 July 2017 - 06:11.

Advertisement

#480 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 06:19

It could be asked the other way around too.

Why they should keep KImi just because he is Kimi?

#481 RaikkonenFan96

RaikkonenFan96

• 239 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 06:56

It could be asked the other way around too.

Why they should keep KImi just because he is Kimi?

I don't know,maybe they don't keep Kimi because he is Kimi. Believe they feel they don't have any better candidates available who would fit their needs

Edited by RaikkonenFan96, 22 July 2017 - 06:57.

#482 AmonGods

AmonGods

• 1,110 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 06:58

And since the '90s which team has won the most Williams, McLaren or Ferrari?

Let Williams and McLaren have that needed spark/hunger factor you talk about and let Ferrari continue doing what they do, because to me it seems the Ferrari way works better.

Indeed Ferrari way did wonders the last 10 years  :drunk:

#483 tghik

tghik

• 2,408 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:08

I don't know,maybe they don't keep Kimi because he is Kimi. Believe they feel they don't have any better candidates available who would fit their needs

let's have this conversation.....

first, we need to establish their needs, so what need is that ?

#484 VolvoT5

VolvoT5

• 3,178 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:23

According to Turrini we could hear some news about second Ferrari driver today (22th of july). If and yes Vettel stays, the only choices for second seat are Kimi and Leclerc. I would say Kimi will stay for 2018 and Leclerc will take his place after he retires.

Where did he say that?   I keep an eye on his *blog and I didn't see any reference to the 22nd....  and today would be a strange time to announce anything, surely they would wait unitl a race weekend?

*though I have to rely on google translate so it isn't always easy to make out what is being said..

#485 RaikkonenFan96

RaikkonenFan96

• 239 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:52

let's have this conversation.....
first, we need to establish their needs, so what need is that ?

We can't know for sure but as I see it, they are looking for seasoned driver who could perform atleast on equal level what Kimi currently. Another need could be to have 2nd driver who can "be backup" for 1st driver (likely to be Vettel) and time to time beat him.

No guarantees for either of reasons, that's why I see them likely to continue with Kimi.

Edited by RaikkonenFan96, 22 July 2017 - 08:07.

#486 ThomasCrown

ThomasCrown

• 260 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 08:35

Indeed Ferrari way did wonders the last 10 years  :drunk:

Are you suggesting the Williams and McLaren way has been more successful?

#487 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 08:40

The relative success of Ferrari, Williams and McLaren in recent times have nothing to do with driver choices.

And even then McLaren had the most exceptional line-up of them in this millennium back in 2007, which ultimately sew seeds for their ultimate decline.

#488 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 11:04

Where did he say that? I keep an eye on his *blog and I didn't see any reference to the 22nd.... and today would be a strange time to announce anything, surely they would wait unitl a race weekend?

*though I have to rely on google translate so it isn't always easy to make out what is being said..

He said it on Radio 24. There is a Ferrari board meeting today, so he said we could hear some news.

#489 tngy

tngy

• 272 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 12:21

Thats very arguable by looking at results. Took results from Wiki and if I miss some technical or else problem, pardon me.

Germany: Kimi was 2nd in race and 4th in quali, Romain was 3rd in race and 5th in quali. No technical problems in race for either of 2.

Hungary: Kimi was 2nd in race and 6th in quali, Romain was 6th in race and 3rd in quali. No technical problems in race for either of 2. Also Romain received 20 second penalty for causing a collision after race.

Belgium: Kimi retired race for brakes failing, 8th in quali, Romain was 8th in race and 7th in quali.

Italy: Kimi was 11th in quali and 11th in race, Romain was 13th in quali and 8th in race. Race took on 8th of September, and Kimi's Ferrari contract was announced on 11th. We will never find out what kind of impact it had for results, Lotus could have switched their focus more to Grosjean after that.

Singapore: Kimi was 3rd in race and 13th in quali, Romain retired for pneumatics issue and was 3rd in quali. Also Kimi suffered his back injury here during weekend which he later went to get fixed. Also don't remember how far away of Kimi Romain were before his retirement.

Korea: Kimi was 2nd in race and 10th in quali, Romain was 3rd in race and 4th in quali. If I remember right Kimi overtook Romain on track.

Japan: Kimi was 5th in race and 9th in quali, Romain was 3rd in race and 4th in quali. Romain had first corner incident.

India: Kimi was 7th in race and 6th in quali, Romain was 3rd in race and 17th in quali. Kimi lost grip of his tires few laps before finish and was on 2nd place.

Abu Dhabi: Kimi retired race on first lap after colliding with another driver, was 5th in quali but later disqualifyied after failing floor deflection test. Romain was 4th in race and 7th in quali. After Abu Dhabi Kimi went to get his back fixed and was replaced by Kovalainen

Do you still think Grosjean was arguably better driver?. Seems to me that you just don't like Kimi or some other results or performanse unrelated thing :confused:

Grosjean was faster in Germany and Korea but SC ruined his strategy both times. In Singapore he lost a podium by mech issues, although Kimi had his share of that in Abu Dhabi.

All in all, Grosjean was better in that period even if it wasn't a big advantage.

He also had the edge in the first half of 2012, but the incidents in Monaco and Australia, also the failure in Valencia costed him massive points.

He utterly sucked between Spa 12 and Britain 13, but that idiotic crash might have been a reason.

#490 Branislav

Branislav

• 3,511 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 12:32

Should Raikonnen be given another year at Ferrari ?

No! Because he's old and slow. There are plenty out there who's better than him.

#491 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 12:36

No! Because he's old and slow. There are plenty out there who's better than him.

Like who? That are available? I wouldn't say Kimi is slow, this and last season actually proved he is still fast, it's other things that he is lacking.

#492 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 12:41

Grosjean was faster in Germany and Korea but SC ruined his strategy both times. In Singapore he lost a podium by mech issues, although Kimi had his share of that in Abu Dhabi.

All in all, Grosjean was better in that period even if it wasn't a big advantage.

He also had the edge in the first half of 2012, but the incidents in Monaco and Australia, also the failure in Valencia costed him massive points.

He utterly sucked between Spa 12 and Britain 13, but that idiotic crash might have been a reason.

Kimi still scored more points in latter half of 2013.

The only reasons why he started to lose in qualifyings to Romain was that Pirelli changed their tyre structures completely (which ruined the whole season and affected to title fight) and that Lotus did bring longer wheel based car to Monza, to be used for rest of the season, Kimi took shorter back to Abu Dhabi and was clearly faster than Romain.

#493 Branislav

Branislav

• 3,511 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 12:48

Like who? That are available?

Perez, Ocon, Wehrlein, Alonso

#494 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 13:16

Alonso isn't on Ferrari's list. Perez, Ocon and Wehrlein better than Kimi...I don't know about that.

#495 Burtros

Burtros

• 3,333 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 13:19

McLaren didn't hesitate promoting Hamilton to their team when he was trashing oposition in GP2, Ferrari should not hesitate either and dare to take a gamble, yes they are conservative. They kept Massa too long as well.

Hamilton had done loads of F1 testing and was one of, if not the most prepared rookies ever don't forget.

That's not really an option for Ferrari these days, they can run an old car but they conform to old regs.

Increasingly looks like it's going to take a big contract break somewhere for anything to stop Raikkonen getting a renewal. Not in favour of that personally but he's a world champion who delivers on the right sort of day. It could be worse.

There's always the kovalinen factor to consider.... McLaren 2008 should have won that WCC with a better driver.

#496 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 13:31

Hamilton had done loads of F1 testing and was one of, if not the most prepared rookies ever don't forget.

That's not really an option for Ferrari these days, they can run an old car but they conform to old regs.

Increasingly looks like it's going to take a big contract break somewhere for anything to stop Raikkonen getting a renewal. Not in favour of that personally but he's a world champion who delivers on the right sort of day. It could be worse.

There's always the kovalinen factor to consider.... McLaren 2008 should have won that WCC with a better driver.

Yup Lewis testing program was huge, he was the best prepared rookie no doubt. Also McLaren tested him during 2006 (to compete for the remain of the season) and back then he wasn't ready yet.

#497 Slowersofterdumber

Slowersofterdumber

• 1,809 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 14:20

I doubt even Romain's family think so. He closed the (huge) performance gap of the first part of the season and had an edge on Saturday, but overall he was still lagging a bit behind.

#498 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 15:59

Ferrari doesn't care one bit what the F1 audience, or at least a vocal minority, wants. They will do what is best for the team. Apparently they think Kimi's performance warrants a continuation, at least until someone better comes along.

#499 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 16:03

Better than Kimi? Perez no. Wehrlein no. Ocon .... maybe with another year at FI.

Advertisement

#500 tghik

tghik

• 2,408 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 16:46

Ferrari doesn't care one bit what the F1 audience, or at least a vocal minority, wants. They will do what is best for the team. Apparently they think Kimi's performance warrants a continuation, at least until someone better comes along.

so true they don't care, because they think by not caring about WCC they optimize WDC chances. The only team that does that. But by doing so they neglect F1 audience by not giving the show F1 audience asks for. And you know what, I wish they don't win their beloved WDC for years as long they don't realize this.

And true again, Kimi performance warrants a continuation....continuation in losing. year after year...so great isn't it