keeppushingurep1

• 194 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 10:29

Race Date: 10 Apr 2011
Circuit Name: Sepang International Circuit
Number of Laps: 56
Circuit Length: 5.543 km
Race Distance: 310.408 km
Lap Record: 1:34.223 - JP Montoya (2004)

Advertisement

#2 keeppushingurep1

keeppushingurep1

• 194 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 10:59

The track looks like red bull is gointo to be the team to beat

(I know thats quite obvious)

#3 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:29

Will they have KERS here though?

#4 sergeym

sergeym

• 610 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 13:25

Will they have KERS here though?

They don't seem to suffer at all for the lack of KERS. Webber was close to Hamilton at the start, despite not having KERS.

Edited by sergeym, 28 March 2011 - 13:34.

#5 domhnall

domhnall

• 1,668 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 13:32

They don't seem to suffer at all for the lack of KERS. Webber for close to Hamilton at the start, despite not having KERS.

Longer run down to turn 1 here though.

I really like this track but for some reason the races are rarely exciting.

#6 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 13:45

I used to like it more, but I've grown tired of it. It doesn't really help that there are lots of other Tilke-o-Domes.

As far as I can tell, all tracks look like Red Bull tracks. But I have no idea how will Red Bull and the teams deal with the tyres.

Now, even if a circuit is a Red Bull circuit, will it be a Webber weekend?

#7 BRK

BRK

• 5,197 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 13:50

I've always hated this track for some reason. It's been around a while, however, and usually throws up some surprises in terms of weather so should be good.

There's usually a lack of grip on Fridays despite this being a proper race track so the times will tumble through the weekend. Mercedes will have a difficult time IMO but they had better deliver at their title sponsor's home race.

#8 Coops3

Coops3

• 1,841 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 13:54

They don't seem to suffer at all for the lack of KERS. Webber was close to Hamilton at the start, despite not having KERS.

I think it was KERS that saved Hamilton from losing 2nd. Webber got a better start, but once the KERS kicked in Lewis was just able to beat him to the 1st corner.

Although RB are now saying they will have KERS for Malaysia, I'm not 100% convinced they're not just spinning us another yarn. From the noises Horner was making on Sunday, it sounded to me as though Newey is against it as it will spoil the balance of the car, so why would that stance suddenly change?

#9 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 13:56

They've already said they need KERS for Malaysia. It is indeed another Red Bull track, hopefully it rains as is traditional. I have a feeling this season is going to be completely dry to make up for what was a rather wet 2010 (outside Europe, at least).

The thing is the RB7's are never gonna top the speed traps, if teams can get to within 1 second of them I think they will be easy meat on the huge straights of Sepang with the DRS.

Edited by King Six, 28 March 2011 - 13:58.

#10 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,658 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 13:58

Last year Webber left the door opened for seb, now this year the door won't even be there for Mark to leave open in the first place :lol:

Edited by Henrytheeigth, 28 March 2011 - 13:59.

#11 chhatra

chhatra

• 2,710 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 14:01

I think it was KERS that saved Hamilton from losing 2nd. Webber got a better start, but once the KERS kicked in Lewis was just able to beat him to the 1st corner.

Although RB are now saying they will have KERS for Malaysia, I'm not 100% convinced they're not just spinning us another yarn. From the noises Horner was making on Sunday, it sounded to me as though Newey is against it as it will spoil the balance of the car, so why would that stance suddenly change?

I hope that by Malaysia the FOM will have sorted the graphics and we can see which cars have KERS enabled. It was so easy for Red Bull to cover their lies because the whole world could see a fully charged battery on the graphics.

Weather is and has played a significant role in the last two Malaysian GP's even if the forecast is not showing rain it will probably show up anyway.

I think we'll see Ferrari and Mercedes back up there, will also be the first time if the weather remains consistent to start to build a true pecking order(with RB already at the front of course).

#12 sergeym

sergeym

• 610 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 14:04

I hope that by Malaysia the FOM will have sorted the graphics and we can see which cars have KERS enabled. It was so easy for Red Bull to cover their lies because the whole world could see a fully charged battery on the graphics.

Weather is and has played a significant role in the last two Malaysian GP's even if the forecast is not showing rain it will probably show up anyway.

I think we'll see Ferrari and Mercedes back up there, will also be the first time if the weather remains consistent to start to build a true pecking order(with RB already at the front of course).

Why should RBR lie about KERS? It's their right to use or not to use KERS this season.

#13 Ellios

Ellios

• 3,070 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 14:09

it gets incredibly hot in Malaysia - those that handle the heat the best will have the edge, I'm sure the majority of drivers are fit as a butcher's dog - but some may struggle towards the end of the race

Edited by Ellios, 28 March 2011 - 14:10.

#14 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 4,991 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 17:29

FIA set to define a 700m zone of allowed DRS area in the pit straight.
http://adamcooperf1....r-malaysian-gp/

#15 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 17:33

You need a lot of downforce here and the McLaren is the only car that was within 7 tenths of the RB in the last sector at AUS.

#16 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 7,462 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 17:35

FIA set to define a 700m zone of allowed DRS area in the pit straight.
http://adamcooperf1....r-malaysian-gp/

I think this is interesting, in terms of its implications:

Whiting also confirmed that later in the season the FIA might add more than one DRS opportunity at some circuits.

#17 ferrarijon123

ferrarijon123

• 851 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 17:37

Speaking of rain its highly likely it'll rain a lot at malaysia. It doesnt show the exact race time which is 4pm in malaysia but theres rain for most of the weekend going by this.
Look at the 8th,9th and 10th of april.
http://www.myweather...uit.aspx?sday=7

#18 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 17:47

You need a lot of downforce here and the McLaren is the only car that was within 7 tenths of the RB in the last sector at AUS.

There are some significant differences though.
Sepang has corners which are much longer than those at Albert Park.
5, 6, 7-8 (they are close enough to really be a double apex single corner, IMO), and then from 12 through 14.
And then you have the back and main straights and the flat out run from corners 2 to 4. Not to mention hairpins and 2nd gear corners; 1, 2, 4 and 9.

Put it all together and it suddenly becomes more complicated than simply sorting out who has the most downforce.

Of course I still consider Red Bull outright favourites, but there is a lot more to decide the form guide other than Albert Park Sector 3.

I could be wrong though.

Edited by Atreiu, 29 March 2011 - 17:48.

#19 hunnylander

hunnylander

• 4,448 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 17:58

"We'll get the RBR in Malaysia for sure!" - an unofficial McLaren source

"Over two weeks ago we thought we were probably on the pace of the Force India cars in testing. But we qualified two seconds quicker than them. We have picked up so much pace, it is unbelievable. Looking at the performance of the car now and seeing where we have come from, it's massively impressive. I've never seen anything like it. You can see in the team everyone is now really positive, and there is a good atmosphere because we know this is only the beginning for us." - Jenson Button

On top of that; "[Sepang] is a circuit that should suit our car." - Jenson Button

Advertisement

#20 TURU

TURU

• 2,786 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 18:02

"We'll get the RBR in Malaysia for sure!" - an unofficial McLaren source

For sure. :lol:

#21 chhatra

chhatra

• 2,710 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 18:19

Why should RBR lie about KERS? It's their right to use or not to use KERS this season.

I'm not saying they should lie, I'm saying that because the KERS indicator showed a fully charged battery it was easy for RBR to pull the wool over everyone's eyes.

There should be more clarity with regards to who's running KERS and who's not.

#22 Tstag

Tstag

• 473 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 18:56

I think far too many pundits are just jumping on the band wagon saying that the RBR will rule the roost in Malaysia but frankly I'm not buying it. Ignore at your peril the fact that Mclaren are going to bring an upgraded floor, an upgraded exhaust system and an improved diffuser. In the last races these 3 areas of the Mclaren were hurriedly thrown together. Mclaren thought after testing that they were only competitive with Force India so in the space of a couple of weeks they threw together lots of new parts which weren't optimised or properly tested. At the next race I really wouldn't be surprised if they could find somewhere in the region of another half second/ second from improved downforce alone.

Ah I hear you say but RBR will possibly have Kerr's. Yes but Malaysia has more straights and is tough on tyres. This again plays into Mclarens hand. Mclaren has better tyre wear and a more powerful engine.

A combination of track and improvements to the Mclaren will I think see the Mclaren emerge as the joint fastest/ fastest car after the next GP. As for Ferrari they are said by their own test driver to have no new upgrades coming, which means they will fall even further back. This season could quickly become about RBR vs Mclaren.

Edited by Tstag, 29 March 2011 - 18:56.

#23 FNG

FNG

• 5,761 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 18:57

I love this track. I don't get why it gets so much schtick, aside from being a Tilke track. My second or third favourite track.

#24 Sausage

Sausage

• 1,820 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 19:13

It's my favourite Tilkedrome as well. 1st corner is nice and not overdone like in China. The run up to the righthander is an overtake spot, after that there is a sweeping left-right followed by this tiny but fast complex running up to the hairpin, another overtaking corner. Then the least amazing part uphill and a quick right, but the next left-right + the righthand corner up to the straight is real cool again, cars look fast. The straight + hairpin up to startfinish is basic but just nice as well.

Well drs sounds interesting here, and maybe I should be more optimistic on RBR being not totally dominant. Still think that will likely be the case though if they get their kers working.

#25 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 19:32

I like wet races, and even if it might not suit RBR it would be nice to see one.

#26 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,746 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 19:50

Even if there are great unknows with regards to how much time McLaren can find just with being more familiar with the MP4/26, they have some new bits, so they should be closer to Red Bull. Perhaps being "just" half a second off pole can translate to them matching or perhaps even be a tad quicker in the race. I wouldn't mind.

...but, I'm pretty sure Ferrari will be a lot, a lot closer to the front here, than they were in Melbourne. Surely their showing there must've been a hick-up. I think so, and believe they will make a much improved impression.
The same must go for Mark Webber, otherwise I'll be very downbeat. He simply can't under perform like that again, so I'll expect him to be able to look like a threat for the front-row.

Brawn and Haug says they'll have a stronger car too, more in tune with what they thought they'd field after testing. Another strong race from Rosberg again this year perhaps?

Heidfeld needs to do something too, and hopefully Petrov will still be flying high after his podium!

I think a lot of teams will turn things around, so with that in mind a dry weekend would be better, to start getting a read on where they stand.

Edited by race addicted, 29 March 2011 - 19:51.

#27 joshb

joshb

• 3,387 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 21:06

RBR will probably have to use KERS. Its a long run to turn 1 and with the DRS zone being made longer they could well find themselves behind at some stage and without KERS, it will be difficult to overtake (as the ARW seems to be nullified when the guy in front uses KERS)

I wonder if they're predicting any wild weather at some stage of the weekend to spice things up a bit.

Also with this being the first of the permanent tracks, we sbhould get a good idea of the true pecking order here.

#28 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 21:12

RBR with KERS, i think Vettel could win.

RBR without KERS, a Mclaren 1-2

#29 BigJug99

BigJug99

• 4 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 00:45

Although RB are now saying they will have KERS for Malaysia, I'm not 100% convinced they're not just spinning us another yarn. From the noises Horner was making on Sunday, it sounded to me as though Newey is against it as it will spoil the balance of the Aftermarket parts car, so why would that stance suddenly change?

I think they are just saying it to keep people off of their back about it.

#30 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 01:55

Even if there are great unknows with regards to how much time McLaren can find just with being more familiar with the MP4/26, they have some new bits, so they should be closer to Red Bull. Perhaps being "just" half a second off pole can translate to them matching or perhaps even be a tad quicker in the race. I wouldn't mind.

...but, I'm pretty sure Ferrari will be a lot, a lot closer to the front here, than they were in Melbourne. Surely their showing there must've been a hick-up. I think so, and believe they will make a much improved impression.
The same must go for Mark Webber, otherwise I'll be very downbeat. He simply can't under perform like that again, so I'll expect him to be able to look like a threat for the front-row.

Brawn and Haug says they'll have a stronger car too, more in tune with what they thought they'd field after testing. Another strong race from Rosberg again this year perhaps?

Heidfeld needs to do something too, and hopefully Petrov will still be flying high after his podium!

I think a lot of teams will turn things around, so with that in mind a dry weekend would be better, to start getting a read on where they stand.

A lot of teams have high ambitions for this race. There aren't enough spots at the front of the grid for all these teams :cat:

#31 OS X

OS X

• 213 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 03:45

In Sepang the DRS zone will be on the pit straight rather than the approach to the final corner, which the FIA believes is already a clear overtaking opportunity.

For the same reasons it is likely to be on the pit straight again in Shanghai, rather than the back straight, which had been mentioned as the likely spot.

Before the race in Australia the FIA’s Charlie Whiting gave an insight into how the original distance was arrived at: “With all the teams the sort of thing we were looking at was a 600m section of the straight in question. From the simulations we thought that would be enough.

“We didn’t want to do the whole straight, because depending on the length of the straight, it would vary the effect of the wing, and the last thing we want is to have an easy overtaking. We felt 600m was about the right time on full throttle, ie 600m before the braking point.

“We always indicated that this would be varied depending on the circuit and the speed at the beginning of the relevant sector. To that end we did more simulations after Barcelona, and then we came up with what we felt was appropriate for here, and last week we made a map that we sent to the teams.”

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this, but putting the DRS zone on the second straight seems quite silly. Will it not lead to one of the two following situations:

a) the 1-second gap is measured at the entry to turn 14 (second to last corner)
The driver will know driving down the back straight whether DRS will enabled coming onto the pit straight which will serve as a disincentive to overtake at the last corner for two reasons:
i) it will be easier to overtake on the pit straight with the trick wing
ii) he leaves himself open to a riposte down the pit straight (à la Petrov on Hamilton) whereas if he overtakes into turn 1 he has a twisty section to distance himself

or b) the 1-second gap is measured at the entry to turn 15 (the final hairpin)
The onus again will be to get a good exit of the final hairpin and use the wing instead of trying to lunge inside of a car at the hairpin leaving yourself vulnerable down the pit straight.

Either way, won't the overtaking at the final hairpin be severely compromised?

#32 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 60,656 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 04:04

Isn't KERS worth 0.3 seconds a lap . . . not 0.7 . .

#33 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 04:36

I love this track. I don't get why it gets so much schtick, aside from being a Tilke track. My second or third favourite track.

It's still a Tilkedrome designed on a computer.
Was the proper Nurburgring or Monza designed on a computer, and simulated for optimal viewing angles from the corporate boxes?

#34 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 05:06

Yeah, it is a fun track and it has those sweeping corners that F1 fans stuck in the 1970s seem to love so much. I think what most people don't like about Sepang is that the main straight is very wide which creates the illusion that the car isn't moving fast.

#35 Slyder

Slyder

• 5,453 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 05:11

Was the proper Nurburgring or Monza designed on a computer, and simulated for optimal viewing angles from the corporate boxes?

Monza was designed on a park and the Nurburging around a castle. ;)

#36 Bunchies

Bunchies

• 1,501 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 05:42

Speaking of rain its highly likely it'll rain a lot at malaysia. It doesnt show the exact race time which is 4pm in malaysia but theres rain for most of the weekend going by this.
Look at the 8th,9th and 10th of april.
http://www.myweather...uit.aspx?sday=7

It rains there every day at the same time around this part of the year.

#37 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 07:27

Isn't KERS worth 0.3 seconds a lap . . . not 0.7 . .

i just think that if RBR are without KERS, they will lose out at the start... and I didnt think they were 0.7 ahead of Mclaren in the race.

#38 dau

dau

• 5,373 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 10:48

They would've been if they had had computers back then.

#39 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:47

Lewis agrees. Just might be a bit of gamesmanship going on here though. :p
http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/90339

Advertisement

#40 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 13:27

I am interested to see how the cars/tires perform in warmer weather.

#41 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 13:39

I think far too many pundits are just jumping on the band wagon saying that the RBR will rule the roost in Malaysia but frankly I'm not buying it. Ignore at your peril the fact that Mclaren are going to bring an upgraded floor, an upgraded exhaust system and an improved diffuser. In the last races these 3 areas of the Mclaren were hurriedly thrown together. Mclaren thought after testing that they were only competitive with Force India so in the space of a couple of weeks they threw together lots of new parts which weren't optimised or properly tested. At the next race I really wouldn't be surprised if they could find somewhere in the region of another half second/ second from improved downforce alone.

Ah I hear you say but RBR will possibly have Kerr's. Yes but Malaysia has more straights and is tough on tyres. This again plays into Mclarens hand. Mclaren has better tyre wear and a more powerful engine.

A combination of track and improvements to the Mclaren will I think see the Mclaren emerge as the joint fastest/ fastest car after the next GP. As for Ferrari they are said by their own test driver to have no new upgrades coming, which means they will fall even further back. This season could quickly become about RBR vs Mclaren.

I think that's wishful thinking. McLaren brought upgrades and that's worked. But They have to bring more to lapfrog RBR, but that's impossible so you have to give them more time. Two weeks is to short period of time. Unless Sepand siuts McLaren, RBR should win comfortably.

#42 TeamMacca

TeamMacca

• 534 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 14:28

Looking forward to it.

If Red Bull don't use KERS they will be eaten alive anyway as the run down to the first corner is quite long, so it doesn't matter if they qualify 1st and 2nd.

Christian Horner

" We took it off both cars and didn't race it at all this weekend, its quite a complex system, Adrian being Adrian didn't want to compromise the car around the system, the system has to fit in around his aero shape that has presented some big challenges"

BBC After the race with Eddie and Jake

I thought that car looked like it was on slimming pills :) , fitting KERS in with all the Cooling is gonna be a big challenge to them i feel without compromising reliability, performance, balance hugely.

I did hear that they ran it Friday Second Practice and look at the times. Both Mclaren's top.

:up:

#43 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 14:45

I expect RBR to face KERS problems at Malaysia. That should slow donw them a little

#44 nomeg1

nomeg1

• 4,942 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 16:09

Only as an add up :

Posted Image

#45 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 16:47

Only as an add up :

Posted Image

They're going to be side-by-side going through 1-2 on the first lap, that will be exciting.

After that, time to nod off and hopefully wake up in time to watch the end.

#46 Stormsky68

Stormsky68

• 1,623 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 17:09

I expect Mclaren to close the gap to RB having stripped off the lash-up diffuser and built a proper one, moved some ballast around, and with some set up experience of the car. I also expect the proper Ferrari to turn up (at least Fred's if not the sidekick) and Renault will also be quick. Methinks a very close race and I can see RB properly challenged this time. Webber's gonna be feeling some pressure to.

#47 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,746 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 17:18

Webber's gonna be feeling some pressure to.

Probably, but he would be very worn down if he couldn't come back strongly from a bad weekend, and I don't think he is that. I fully expect both Red Bulls to feature convincingly.

#48 Kubiccia

Kubiccia

• 1,370 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 17:30

Hamilton's S3 was 6 tenths slower than Vettel's and 3 tenths faster than Kobayashi's(fastest S3 excluding RBR,Mclaren). Which means Mclaren's downforce is closer to Sauber's than to RBRs. :rolleyes:

I think that's wishful thinking. McLaren brought upgrades and that's worked. But They have to bring more to lapfrog RBR, but that's impossible so you have to give them more time. Two weeks is to short period of time. Unless Sepand siuts McLaren, RBR should win comfortably.

Tstag's post is pathetic(I'm saying the post, NOT HIM). Delusional post with only make believe and wishfull thinking.

Mclrean PR worked again, now a lot of people believe they make miracles.

#49 chhatra

chhatra

• 2,710 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 17:40

Hamilton's S3 was 6 tenths slower than Vettel's and 3 tenths faster than Kobayashi's(fastest S3 excluding RBR,Mclaren). Which means Mclaren's downforce is closer to Sauber's than to RBRs. :rolleyes:

Tstag's post is pathetic(I'm saying the post, NOT HIM). Delusional post with only make believe and wishfull thinking.

You are right but it's similar to what Horner said about Hamilton's comments that the team will leapfrog RBR. Horner said that Hamilton needs to believe that else there's no point turning up at the next race. Let Tstag have his day. Who knows he may be right or he could be wrong and McLaren could crash and burn and he'll silently eat his own words. No need to slag the post.

#50 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 17:52

Well, that depends on whether you believe Lewis Hamilton is a god, or just a prophet.

:rotfl: