• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:11

Posted Image
John Gunn

I am sorry to report that John Gunn has passed away in his sleep. This is all I know at this time.
He had been suffering with some heart problems and was under care for that, and other issues.
As further information about services are announced I will post them.

Rest in peace, John Gunn

As told site by his ex crew chief and long time friend Don Schnieders

Photo: Larry Neuzel
scanned for site Rob Neuzel

Edited by Jerry Entin, 08 July 2010 - 23:54.

Advertisement

#2 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

• 976 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:52

Hello, Jerry. Sorry to learn of this. I seem to recall John Gunn as doing some CanAm and Formula A work back in the day and doing rather well. My chief memory is seeing him in action at Mosport in an lively liveried Eagle FA circa 1970.

My condolences to his family and friends.

#3 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,466 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 13:56

Sad news, but thanks Jerry, for letting us know.

Jack

#4 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 14:47

Another tie to the past gone.

John Gunn, just off the top of my head, raced a variety of cars primarily in F-5000 and Can Am. I recall seeing him race a Lola T-140, Eagle F-5000, Surtees TS-5, Lola T-300, Lola T-260, March 73A, Lola T-332, Lola T-333, and his own Phoenix Camel GT/Can Am II creation. Off hand I cannot recall his winning any pro race, but he was a regular participant, did not disgrace himself, a guy who just liked to race. For a while he financed his racing operations with his own racing equipment company, Gunn's Goodies.

#5 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,811 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 14:55

Awwwwwww. I watched John race many times.

#6 mwphoto

mwphoto

• 117 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 16:49

Sad news indeed
RIP
F/5000 1974..
Posted Image

Posted Image
Can-Am 1978...
Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 bobLee

bobLee

• 65 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 18:22

Another tie to the past gone.

John Gunn, just off the top of my head, raced a variety of cars primarily in F-5000 and Can Am. I recall seeing him race a Lola T-140, Eagle F-5000, Surtees TS-5, Lola T-300, Lola T-260, March 73A, Lola T-332, Lola T-333, and his own Phoenix Camel GT/Can Am II creation. Off hand I cannot recall his winning any pro race, but he was a regular participant, did not disgrace himself, a guy who just liked to race. For a while he financed his racing operations with his own racing equipment company, Gunn's Goodies.

I am very sorry to hear this news. John was a great guy and very helpful to me in restoring his Lola 332 HU47. He was leading the first center seat Can-Am race at Mount Tremblant in 1977 but a spin in the waning laps caused him to finish second. John did very well for as he said "a low buck" privateer. He will be missed.

#8 wingsandslicks

wingsandslicks

• 6 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 19:18

I well remember seeing him in one of the old garages at Road America in the F5000 years. He was one of my heros that drove those mighty machines. His T332 is still raced in vintage events by it's current owner. Thanks for the memories Mr. Gunn!

#9 URY914

URY914

• 236 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 22:15

I remember his IMSA GTP car. There was nothing else like it.

Edited by URY914, 08 July 2010 - 22:15.

#10 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:44

The following comes from Jonsey Morris:

I never will forget how proud I was of John Gunn when he smoked everyone for the F5000 pole at Lime Rock in 1972. He had that Lola T300 humming and blew everyone away. I remember his big smile and his curly red hair and his great driving talent.
He was my friend and I will never forget him

Jonesy Morris

Edited by Jerry Entin, 09 July 2010 - 09:45.

#11 jimclark

jimclark

• 169 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 08:49

:cry: :cry: :cry:

#12 rfrederi2

rfrederi2

• 1 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 16:39

Dear Folks:

Johnnie Oliver Gunn, Jr. (1939-2010) was born in Yanceyville, Caswell County, North Carolina. He graduated from Bartlett Yancey High School and was interested in motor sports from the start. This may have come partly as a result of his father being the Ford dealer in Yanceyville. I also grew up in Yanceyville. It is a small town where there were no strangers. We all knew each other. Johnnie had a very distinctive Ford coupe and was the local daredevil.

Johnnie and I both saw the first wheel turned in anger at Virginia International Raceway (VIR) in 1957. While the track is in Virginia, it is most often associated with Milton, North Carolina, which is only a few miles from Yanceyville. At one time Johnnie held the VIR course record. My good friend (and later judge) Phil Allen traveled with Johnnie all over the country racing with limited financial support. Phil would keep me informed as to Johnnie's exploits. In 1967 (or 1968, as memories fade), we attended the twelve hours of Sebring to watch Johnnie race a Mini-Cooper. Phil Allen co-authored a book on VIR and contributed to the VIR history website. Here is Phil's entry on Johnnie:

"Johnnie Gunn first raced at VIR (near Milton, NC) in April 1967 in a Lotus 23 when he took top honors in G Sports Racing. A native of nearby Yanceyville, he grew up with the track and was a spectator at the inaugural event in August 1957. His racing career began while a student at the University of Miami in an Alfa Romeo that carried him to two SCCA divisional championships. He turned pro in 1968 by entering the SCCA Formula A Continental series and became a regular for the entire life of the championship. After his second season he returned to VIR at the conclusion of the 1969 pro races to enter the September SCCA Nationals. In his Lola T-142 he set the final overall lap record for the original course at 2:06.3. He later was a regular entrant in Can Am and IMSA events."

In addition to having some personal knowledge of Johnnie and the Gunn family, I also serve as an archivist and the webmaster for the Caswell County Historical Association. In this capacity I am collecting all information possible about Johnnie's life, including photographs, racing results, stories, anecdotes, cars owned and raced, etc. We will place these materials on our website as a permanent tribute to a fine individual and a good race driver.

Please send what you are willing to share to me at:

rick@ncccha.org

Thanks and best regards,

Rick Frederick
Archivist and Webmaster
Caswell County Historical Association
http://www.rootsweb....ry.com/~ncccha/

PS Johnnie has an older sister, Ann Newman Gunn Everitt, who still lives in Yanceyville in the house that Johnnie and she were raised.

PPS Here is Johnnie's obituary:

"Services for Johnnie Oliver Gunn, Jr., 70, who died July 7, 2010, at his home in Palm City, Florida, will be held at the Yanceyville United Methodist Church on July 29, 2010, at 10:30 AM. Private interment will follow in the church cemetery. The family requests no flowers. Donations may be made to the Yanceyville United Methodist Church Cemetery Fund or the charity of your choice. Support is provided by Marley Funeral Home."

Edited by rfrederi2, 30 July 2010 - 16:46.

#13 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 18:01

Thanks Jerry and everyone:

When Chuck and Jim Sarich went racing F5000 with Quicksilver, their wrench Sandy Shamilan (sp?) had good things to say about the advice they got from John. RIP.

#14 Cynic2

Cynic2

• 402 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 00:44

John Gunn's Lotus 23 at Selma, Alabama, in 1967. As I recall, in the race Corky Bell in a Datsun 2000 Roadster (running in C/Production) rolled over the top of Gunn's Lotus. Gunn was uninjured and the Lotus was not badly damaged, but I remember that he was NOT happy about the incident.

Posted Image

Edited by Cynic2, 31 July 2010 - 00:47.

#15 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

• 976 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 13:19

That's an interesting induction system pictured there on JG's Lotus 23, Cynic2. I take it that the power unit must have been something other than a TC Lotus. Any ideas as to what?

#16 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 14:14

Today, at 5 pm, about 40 or 50 of John Gunn's friends and lovers will be celebrating John's time with us.

Yes he is gone (July 6, 2010) but we, his loyal friends and acquaintances, need to celebrate his life and honor his death with a memorial gathering.

Place: The Grady's Automotive Warehouse
4412 SE Commerce Avenue
Stuart, Florida 34997

Time: 5:00-9:00pm

Date: Saturday July 31st

Hosts: Don Schnieders, Henry & Rocky Grady, Eddie Alvarez

RSVP: schnieders.1@netzero.net or Rocky001@aol.com

Edited by Jerry Entin, 31 July 2010 - 14:17.

#17 Cynic2

Cynic2

• 402 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:49

That's an interesting induction system pictured there on JG's Lotus 23, Cynic2. I take it that the power unit must have been something other than a TC Lotus. Any ideas as to what?

No recollection and no idea, unfortunately. It would have been under 1100cc; would an Imp engine be a candidate? There was one other Lotus 23 from the era which ran a similar down-draft setup (David Bland from Texas) but his ran in H/Modified, under 750cc. I don't think that's any help.

Rick Frederick and I do believe that is John Gunn in the photo, leaning in the back of his van.

And Jerry, thank you for providing the information on the celebration of John's life.

David S.

#18 wildman

wildman

• 294 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 21:15

John Gunn finished fourth in the 1984 IMSA race at Laguna Seca, the best-ever result for his homebuilt Phoenix JG-1.

Posted Image

Edited by wildman, 20 September 2010 - 21:15.

#19 bill p

bill p

• 697 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:05

Cosworth SCA??