Photo

Unseen 1964 Texas SCCA photos from Jerry Melton

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 etceterini.com

etceterini.com

• 288 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:58

Jerry sent me these photos today and once again I'm blown away!

Posted Image

http://www.cliffreut...eytexas1964.htm

Advertisement

#2 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:33

Once again, a great cache, Cliff - thanks for sharing

The No.3 Cooper which appears early on (after the pictures of Ol' Shel) doesn't seem to be in the entry-list. It looks very much like an ex-F1 T53. Does Jerry Melton (or anyone) know whose it was?

#3 OCTARD

OCTARD

• 22 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:36

Jerry's photos are outstanding! Not only is the quality top notch, but he's so kind to share them with all of the various racing enthusiasts.

I'm particularly fond of Jerry's attention to detail... Like this picture of a Grand Sport Corvette (004) with a Terlingua Racing Team sticker.

Posted Image

Many of Jerry's early Trans-Am photos have also recently been shared on this forum:

http://www.camaros.o....php?board=19.0

In particular, here are his 1967 Green Valley Trans-Am images:

http://www.camaros.o...hp?topic=8946.0

And, both Ron Lathrop and Jerry Melton's images of the 1969 Wolverine Trans-Am can be seen here:

http://www.camaros.o...hp?topic=8328.0

Great stuff, and thanks for posting these 1964 Green Valley images.

-Chad

#4 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,466 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 07:12

... I'm particularly fond of Jerry's attention to detail... Like this picture of a Grand Sport Corvette (004) with a Terlingua Racing Team sticker.

Great shots... and I know Terlingua and am sure curious about "Racing Team" being attached. Inside joke I imagine, as it is one remote ghost town of strictly West Texas diehards (in life) now — and likely has been since its incorporation (township status).

Has to be a great story behind this... I love that place.

#5 OCTARD

OCTARD

• 22 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 07:20

Great shots... and I know Terlingua and am sure curious about "Racing Team" being attached. Inside joke I imagine...

Has to be a great story behind this...

http://v6mustangperf...ua-racing-team/

OR:

http://www.terlingua...g-team-history/

#6 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 07:24

The No.3 Cooper which appears early on (after the pictures of Ol' Shel) doesn't seem to be in the entry-list. It looks very much like an ex-F1 T53. Does Jerry Melton (or anyone) know whose it was?

Apparently Harry Washburn. I believe it is the same one as discussed here:

http://forums.autosp...showtopic=99813

Vince H.

#7 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 07:29

Agreed. Super shots of how it was, with bonus items of the race entry list and the 3 shots of the Mecom Lola GT, and I wonder if the MGA was on the way up or on the way down...
Roger Lund

Edited by bradbury west, 22 December 2011 - 08:30.

#8 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,466 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 07:36

http://v6mustangperf...ua-racing-team/

OR:

http://www.terlingua...g-team-history/

Thank You, Octard! Shelby's connection (via his chili) rings a Terlingua Bell now, very cool history knowing the place!

Today, and Yesterday:
http://www.ghosttown.../terlingua.html

Thanks! :up:

#9 Barrie Hobkirk

Barrie Hobkirk

• 133 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 16:28

Great photos!
Pictures of the "post burned-out" Maserati 300S 3052 keep coming out of the woodwork, thanks to some hard research and the internet. One day, we'll know it all. But maybe not in my time.
Cheers,
Barrie

"History is a series of lies, agreed upon". Napoleon

#10 ERIKZ

ERIKZ

• 76 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 17:18

Thanks for posting the great set of photos by Jerry....the Shelby/Holbert photos are from the February 8-9, 1964 Green Valley race....the same weekend for the SCCA convention. It's interesting to see the Gene Hammon/Bill Steele Cobra and also REL Hayes Cobra in action. Delmo Johnson drove the Grand Sport Corvette for the weekend.

#11 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 17:29

At the very bottom of the dozens of photos of Jerry Melton there is an entry list and a program cover. While the program cover is from Green Valley, which was near Ft Worth, the entry list is headed "Carrera de Capitol" or words to that effect. That tends to indicate to me that the entry list was from the Austin race. Am I right? Also, does anyone have results from the Austin race?

Tom

#12 ERault

ERault

• 336 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 17:36

At the very bottom of the dozens of photos of Jerry Melton there is an entry list and a program cover. While the program cover is from Green Valley, which was near Ft Worth, the entry list is headed "Carrera de Capitol" or words to that effect. That tends to indicate to me that the entry list was from the Austin race. Am I right? Also, does anyone have results from the Austin race?

Tom

I think, based on what I read in Willem's Birdcage book and some of the cars listed, that the "Carrera de la Capital" entry list might actually be from the august 1963 event, indeed held at Austin.

Since Johnson's Maserati is no longer a mystery, how about the 3 liter entered by Owens with number 3 ? The only clue I have is that a Bill Owens raced a 3 liter Maserati at the Jim Bowie Races, Opelousas, on july 28, 1963.

#13 ERIKZ

ERIKZ

• 76 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 17:48

There are two Green Valley races in the set of photos by Jerry Melton.....February 8-9, 1964 and also April 18-19, 1964....not sure on the date of the Austin event....could possibly be August 15-16, 1964 (only a guess).

#14 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 17:57

The [incomplete] entry list at the end is in fact the one for the August 10-11, 1963, Carrera de la Capital at Austin.

all research: Willem Oosthoek

#15 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 18:00

Barrie, definitely in your lifetime!

The "burned out" chassis 3052, Ebb Rose's short-nose 300S with Chevy engine [installed by Lloyd Ruby], did survive. It was brokered by Big Jim Hall of Houston and ended up with Tom Johnson of Dallas, seen in the Melton photos. The transaxle of the 300S was damaged in the crash and fire at Meadowdale and Johnson replaced the 4-speed Chevy transmission with an automatic gearbox.

#16 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 19:07

ERault:
The other Maserati 300S showing up in the 1963 Austin program was chassis #3073, another former Rose car, which kept its original 3-liter engine and ran in DM. Again it was Big Jim Hall who brokered its sale on behalf of Rose. The new owner was Bill Owens, who ran a Ferrari dealership in Austin.

As for the feature winners at Austin in 1963, Enus Wilson [Birdcage] won the one for modifieds and J.C. Kilburn [Corvette] the one for production cars.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 23 December 2011 - 14:56.

#17 etceterini.com

etceterini.com

• 288 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 04:06

Thanks for looking everyone and I have just added the captions:

http://www.cliffreut...eytexas1964.htm

Jerry put the new 1965 GVR Disk in the snail mail to me today so stay tuned!

-cliff

Edited by etceterini.com, 24 December 2011 - 13:41.

#18 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 06:30

Link doesn't work Cliff (though the original link serves the purpose)

I haven't gone right through again, but the two FJ Lotuses after the FJ Brabham pic are a 22 and a 27 respectively

#19 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 18:19

Here are some more I.D.'s courtesy of Willem Oosthoek:
Harry Washburn's Cooper Monaco #47 was still 2.7 Climax powered here, based on the DM class indication on its body. Only the "organ pipe exhaust" #7 version had a Chevy installed.

- The #87 deTomaso driven by Kirby was owned by John Mecom; next to it is Jeff Koehne, wife of George, in her Formula V.

- The #17 D-type/Chevy was Bill Fuller's

- The 250TR/Chevy was Willis Murphey's

- The #93 Genie was George Koehne's and Ford powered

- The #6 Iso was Bill McLaughlin's

- The #15 Maserati was Ed Sevadjian's [note spelling], the former Alan Connell/J.C. Kilburn 250S

- Note a shirtless Richard Macon in front of his #8 Lotus 23 in the photo of the stationary Enus Wilson Birdcage #2 at Austin. Both cars were maintained by John Miller.

Advertisement

#20 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 20:19

:up: :up:

#21 Jake Alderson

Jake Alderson

• 71 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 16:31

So who won the Austin races #1 and #7 for E Prod and Formula Junior? How did Liming's Morgan do?
Thanks for all this wonderful history
Jake Alderson

Harry Washburn's Cooper Monaco #47 was still 2.7 Climax powered here, based on the DM class indication on its body. Only the "organ pipe exhaust" #7 version had a Chevy installed.

- The #87 deTomaso driven by Kirby was owned by John Mecom; next to it is Jeff Koehne, wife of George, in her Formula V.

- The #15 Maserati was Ed Sevadjian's [note spelling], the former Alan Connell/J.C. Kilburn 250S

- Note a shirtless Richard Macon in front of his #8 Lotus 23 in the photo of the stationary Enus Wilson Birdcage #2 at Austin. Both cars were maintained by John Miller.

#22 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 19:20

Jake:

The Austin report in Sports Car is rather superficial and does not mention the EP races. Murray Forsfall of the Dallas newspaper doesn't either and just concentrates on how the Dallas drivers did:

Norm Lamb [EP Sunbeam Alpine]: EP2 and EP3
Bobby Burger [EP Austin-Healey]: EP4 and EP4

Bill Hagan [EP Porsche] earned the hard-luck trophy. My guess for EP1 is Bill Carter of Houston and his EP Elva Courier, regular winners in those days. R. Liming's EP Morgan is not mentioned.

#23 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 23:14

Jerry

While it may be Richard, that is not a Lotus 23, the aperture in the front of the nose is too wide - perhaps a Cooper Monaco given the rear body section lying on the ground just in the background of the Birdcage?

Michael

#24 ERIKZ

ERIKZ

• 76 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 23:27

To Cliff:

I don't know why you changed the caption on the #45 Cobra to Graham Shaw, but the #45 Cobra driver is R.E.L. Hayes....

Erik

#25 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 23:49

Erikz: I thought it was Charlie Hayes in the Cobra and Charlie said it wasn't him but thought it may be Graham Shaw.

Posted Image
Richard Macon in his Cooper Monaco

Michael:
This comes from Willem Oosthoek:
Although Macon is in the entry list with his Lotus 23, he actually raced his old 1.5-liter Cooper Monaco in FM class.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 27 December 2011 - 00:04.

#26 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:02

Great shots... and I know Terlingua and am sure curious about "Racing Team" being attached. Inside joke I imagine, as it is one remote ghost town of strictly West Texas diehards (in life) now — and likely has been since its incorporation (township status).

Has to be a great story behind this... I love that place.

I have it on good authority that Bill Neale - designer of the Terlingua shield - said the first time it appeared on a car at Green Valley Raceway was in February of 1965 rather than 1964.

I am ecstatic at seeing all these wonderful photos from the Golden Age of racing in the US.

Thanks and thanks again.

#27 Jake Alderson

Jake Alderson

• 71 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:06

Was the Carrera de la Capital meeting at Austin held at the Austin Raceway Park, 1.5 mile road circuit with drag strip?
Jake

#28 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 13:39

Jake:
The track for Austin's inaugural Carrera de la Capital in 1963 was described as a 1.4-mile layout on the streets and parking lots of the Municipal Auditorium, the City Coliseum and the baseball park. The straight on Riverside Drive, a public road, was 2,500 feet long.

all research : Willem Oosthoek

#29 Sunbeam74

Sunbeam74

• 65 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:11

Jake:

The Austin report in Sports Car is rather superficial and does not mention the EP races. Murray Forsfall of the Dallas newspaper doesn't either and just concentrates on how the Dallas drivers did:

Norm Lamb [EP Sunbeam Alpine]: EP2 and EP3
Bobby Burger [EP Austin-Healey]: EP4 and EP4

Bill Hagan [EP Porsche] earned the hard-luck trophy. My guess for EP1 is Bill Carter of Houston and his EP Elva Courier, regular winners in those days. R. Liming's EP Morgan is not mentioned.

Norm Lamb in the Alpine won the SW division championship in EP in 1963. This was the only year the Alpine raced in E-production.

Steve