Photo

McLaren MP4-27 [split]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17347 replies to this topic

#15151 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,403 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 13:03

I'm sure you've got better things to do than trawl all the way back there, M69, as have I.

Point that I would like to stand though, is do you not agree that a hell of a lot of bluster goes on (extending even to poo-pooing perfectly legitimate sources) just because of an emotive issue like step noses? Separate emotion from logic.

Thought experiment: If GA had been gushing and enthusiastic about the MP4-27 would there have been all the criticism of him? By all your examples he would still be just as fallible, so presumably you would have to disagree with him about his affection for the McLaren design?

Advertisement

#15152 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 13:10

I'm sure you've got better things to do than trawl all the way back there, M69, as have I.

Point that I would like to stand though, is do you not agree that a hell of a lot of bluster goes on (extending even to poo-pooing perfectly legitimate sources) just because of an emotive issue like step noses? Separate emotion from logic.

Thought experiment: If GA had been gushing and enthusiastic about the MP4-27 would there have been all the criticism of him? By all your examples he would still be just as fallible, so presumably you would have to disagree with him about his affection for the McLaren design?

TBH - I don't give a **** about the noses. Sure I took the mickey out of them - but I don't care either way. I'm only interested in the engineering side. That's why I studied it as an undergraduate. The aesthetics really mean nothing to me.

And why would I disagree with his affection for the aesthetics of the car if I was to look at that aspect alone? It's pretty obvious that it's one of the best looking cars on the grid.... but I'd much prefer it to be the outright fastest car in the race.

#15153 Go_Go

Go_Go

• 292 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 14:46

My thought,new nose is for the next season :)

#15154 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 14:54

My thought,new nose is for the next season :)

There is talk amongst the twitteratti and those on F1 technical that it could be circuit specific.

Where there is a premium is on high speed rear downforce - the high nose could be used.

Where a "pointy" agile car is needed the low nose could be used.

#15155 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,414 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 15:06

TBH - I don't give a **** about the noses. Sure I took the mickey out of them - but I don't care either way. I'm only interested in the engineering side. That's why I studied it as an undergraduate. The aesthetics really mean nothing to me.

And why would I disagree with his affection for the aesthetics of the car if I was to look at that aspect alone? It's pretty obvious that it's one of the best looking cars on the grid.... but I'd much prefer it to be the outright fastest car in the race.

To be fair to Gary Anderson all he said was that teams that had higher noses have more area for development in the front and middle of the car, more aggressive barge boards/t-tray, etc. More mass air flow is better in this case. He specifically stated that if you put the two cars with low & high nose in the wind tunnel you probably couldn't measure the difference. But having the higher nose allows you to exploit more things further back on the car. He didn't say the '27 was doomed. He only made an observation, which has proven correct thus far.

Personally I find his comments/technical analysis hit & miss. Sometimes he's right & other times he's wrong in my opinion. But I think a lot of that leads back to different philosophies. I do however look forward to the technical section of AutoSport each week for his analysis. More times than not he's spot on. AutoSport thinks so too because they pay him, as does the BBC. So our opinion of him doesn't matter too much, he's obviously skilled at what he does and unlike us has worked in F1.

As for the MP4-27 and the high nose, word is we'll see it in Montmelo. We'll see how it goes from there, but it's not guaranteed McLaren use this nose ever again.

Edit: the specific circuit comment came from the original source, AutoSprint. They are speculating of course because McLaren have'n't mentioned the new nose at all.

Edited by CrucialXtreme, 08 May 2012 - 15:07.

#15156 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 15:10

Anyone else find it strange that no one noticed the high nose until the monday after the test?

#15157 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,621 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 15:11

Anyone else find it strange that no one noticed the high nose until the monday after the test?

Incredibly so. (I do wonder if JB or Lewis was driving if it would have been spotted earlier).

#15158 femi

femi

• 8,288 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 15:20

You've misread that then. I was saying that just because it works for McLaren, doesn't mean it will suit every team.

Other teams know of the solution and already have lots of experience understanding how brake duct design affects tyre temperature. If the other teams have found they do not find brake heat\duct affects the tyre temp. This may be to do with wheel design or other factors.

That's OK then. I thought you meant rival F1 engineers do not believe Mclaren's solution isn't worth going after since it could not affect tyre temp sufficiently enough to justify the effort.

#15159 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 15:21

To be fair to Gary Anderson all he said was that teams that had higher noses have more area for development in the front and middle of the car, more aggressive barge boards/t-tray, etc. More mass air flow is better in this case. He specifically stated that if you put the two cars with low & high nose in the wind tunnel you probably couldn't measure the difference. But having the higher nose allows you to exploit more things further back on the car. He didn't say the '27 was doomed. He only made an observation, which has proven correct thus far.

Personally I find his comments/technical analysis hit & miss. Sometimes he's right & other times he's wrong in my opinion. But I think a lot of that leads back to different philosophies. I do however look forward to the technical section of AutoSport each week for his analysis. More times than not he's spot on. AutoSport thinks so too because they pay him, as does the BBC. So our opinion of him doesn't matter too much, he's obviously skilled at what he does and unlike us has worked in F1.

As for the MP4-27 and the high nose, word is we'll see it in Montmelo. We'll see how it goes from there, but it's not guaranteed McLaren use this nose ever again.

Edit: the specific circuit comment came from the original source, AutoSprint. They are speculating of course because McLaren have'n't mentioned the new nose at all.

Oh. In no way am I trying to cane Gary - he's probably forgotton more about F1 than I'll ever know (the senile old git :lol: ). But I was just maintaining my right to have an opinion on the matter.

He's obviously right about the higher nose giving one more scope for packaging of developments, higher flow rate etc. But it was just the "I don't understand why they did this" thing that I thought was odd.

Like I said - it's the path that they have been following - and up until now it seems to have been working pretty well. But just because something is good on paper doesn't mean it's good with the concept that they have/had. For example: In 2010 the general consensus was to go with the biggest volume DDD that you could get away with. Yet the fastest car that year - and the WCC winner had arguably the smallest DDD on the grid.... if you get what I am saying.

Systems theory and all that shizzle.

Advertisement

#15160 femi

femi

• 8,288 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 16:01

Oh. In no way am I trying to cane Gary - he's probably forgotton more about F1 than I'll ever know (the senile old git :lol: ). But I was just maintaining my right to have an opinion on the matter.

He's obviously right about the higher nose giving one more scope for packaging of developments, higher flow rate etc. But it was just the "I don't understand why they did this" thing that I thought was odd.

Like I said - it's the path that they have been following - and up until now it seems to have been working pretty well. But just because something is good on paper doesn't mean it's good with the concept that they have/had. For example: In 2010 the general consensus was to go with the biggest volume DDD that you could get away with. Yet the fastest car that year - and the WCC winner had arguably the smallest DDD on the grid.... if you get what I am saying.

Mclaren didn't look desperate on track - so far this year so there is little chance that was what happened or would happen. But I think they may have determined (assuming they are going to stick to the high nose) that they need some more airflow than the low nose could ever deliver to achieve some set performance / DF levels or whatever, hence the high nose. I bet they must have spent some considerable time in designing and testing this back at Woking.

Just doing an out/in lap did not seem like a thorough on track testing though... So maybe it bummed OR it was a spectacular success. I have a feeling it wasn't a middle of the road loss or gain result.

Edited by femi, 08 May 2012 - 16:04.

#15161 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 16:06

Mclaren didn't look desperate on track - so far this year so there is little chance that was what happened or would happen. But I think they may have determined (assuming they are going to stick to the high nose) that they need some more airflow than the low nose could ever deliver to achieve some set performance / DF levels or whatever, hence the high nose. I bet they must have spent some considerable time in designing and testing this back at Woking.

Just doing an out/in lap did not seem like a thorough on track testing though... So maybe it bummed.

Or Maybe they didn't want Oliver to bin the only new front wing they had at the test.

One lap would be enough to gauge how it worked, we will see it on friday being tested at an F1 track.

#15162 Lazy

Lazy

• 6,747 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 16:08

I know saving face is more important to you guys than anything else, but come off it! Gary Anderson was obviously correct to say that he was surprised the McLaren launch design didn't allow more air to flow under the chassis front to the back of the car. Just because you've invested so much in defending it, doesn't mean you were right.

The car has a hell of a lot going for it in every other way, and it was of course good enough to set the standard to start with, but that isn't the same as it being perfect. It is unfortunate that the regulations mean that to make the cars perform the best they have to be ugly, but that isn't McLaren's fault. Maybe this way they can keep the benefits of lower chassis and susp pick-up points, and get some of the rear df benefit of having more air going under the front of the car - although I do have to add that it is tempting to conclude that if having the nose a bit higher gives some benefit, then having it higher still (and, yes, with a step) would yield even more.

To be fair McLaren always said that more air under the nose would be nice, maybe they have just found a better compromise.

#15163 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,403 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 16:31

To be fair McLaren always said that more air under the nose would be nice, maybe they have just found a better compromise.

Could be, yea. They might have overestimated the exhaust effect a tad too - that's difficult to judge with simulation and wind tunnel.

#15164 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,414 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 17:00

Totally understand mate. I didn't get the "I don't understand why they did this" either. Like I said he's hit & miss and at times I don't care for him much at all. But some of the flak(not saying you) he's gotten in these forums isn't warranted. That's all. :)

Indeed they have. They've said it's a compromise but it works for them. Scarbs also said Lowe(pretty sure it was Lowe) told him the lower nose worked the best with their suspension geometry. Makes sense. Plus, it was just testing. And that's what they were doing. Sometimes people make a mountain out of a mole hill.

#15165 Octavian

Octavian

• 703 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 17:36

So who's outright said or thinks that they know more abouth the technical side of F1 than Gary Anderson :rolleyes:

Forming an opinion is nothing like the same thing.

I could also point out numerous times where Gary has been inaccurate with his opinions.

This is a thread about the technicalities of the MP4-27. No need to be a dick about it.

The people constantly berating him. I once posted something by Gary Anderson to be met with "Don't believe a word he says" yet what the combined knowledge of every person on this forum wouldn't equate 25% of what Anderson has forgotten about F1. He's designed cars, he is still consulted by teams on designs and he's paid to give his expert opinion.
When McLaren were fast out of the box in Oz many laughed at Anderson yet a few races later and McLaren are struggling and testing the solution Anderson highlighted at the launch. He's paid to give his opinion for a reason, he knows a lot more than us.

Please don't swear at me btw.

#15166 dans79

dans79

• 279 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 17:56

The higher nose should help with medium to high speed aerodynamic grip, but that's not our problem. I thought are biggest problem was mechanical grip, hence the reason we never seem to do well in the slow speed sections? I think Hamilton even mentioned this during winter testing. How does this help up get better slow speed mechanical grip?

#15167 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 18:01

Well if it gains lap time in medium to high speed corners it will help the nullify the mechanical "problem".

#15168 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 18:17

The people constantly berating him. I once posted something by Gary Anderson to be met with "Don't believe a word he says" yet what the combined knowledge of every person on this forum wouldn't equate 25% of what Anderson has forgotten about F1. He's designed cars, he is still consulted by teams on designs and he's paid to give his expert opinion.
When McLaren were fast out of the box in Oz many laughed at Anderson yet a few races later and McLaren are struggling and testing the solution Anderson highlighted at the launch. He's paid to give his opinion for a reason, he knows a lot more than us.

Please don't swear at me btw.

Your original post was:

People on this forum actually think they know more about the technical side of F1 than Gary Anderson......how utterly wrong they are.

Apart from no-one actually saying or "thinking" that - you basically imply that if you are not an seasoned F1 aerodynamicist or engineer, then you have no place to debate on a forum the ins and outs of an F1 car based on the comments of Gary Anderson for example.

The (growing) community of people on here and F1 technical for example, with folk like Scarbs joining in, has actually become rather competent, accurate, and informative.... to the point that I understand that F1 teams often look at these forums in order to help their own research into what others are up to.

So sorry for calling you a dick (I thought you were "talking" to me specifically) - but just because someone doesn't have the "badge", it doesn't mean that their opinion is wrong, invalid or irrelevant.

Edited by maverick69, 08 May 2012 - 18:19.

#15169 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 19:01

http://www.suttonima...amp;count=57317

Is that what really passes for photography these days? Surely a decent photographer has taken some images of the new nose without all the hideous self promotion :down:

#15170 Octavian

Octavian

• 703 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 19:07

Your original post was:

Apart from no-one actually saying or "thinking" that - you basically imply that if you are not an seasoned F1 aerodynamicist or engineer, then you have no place to debate on a forum the ins and outs of an F1 car based on the comments of Gary Anderson for example.

The (growing) community of people on here and F1 technical for example, with folk like Scarbs joining in, has actually become rather competent, accurate, and informative.... to the point that I understand that F1 teams often look at these forums in order to help their own research into what others are up to.

So sorry for calling you a dick (I thought you were "talking" to me specifically) - but just because someone doesn't have the "badge", it doesn't mean that their opinion is wrong, invalid or irrelevant.

People have said that - I'm simply not prepared to trawl hundreds of pages looking for quotes.

I'm not saying that unless you're a seasoned F1 engineer that you can't debate that...............what I'm saying is that laymen shouldn't write off a seasoned expert simply because he made negative comments about fan favourite's car design.

#15171 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 19:13

People have said that - I'm simply not prepared to trawl hundreds of pages looking for quotes.

I'm not saying that unless you're a seasoned F1 engineer that you can't debate that...............what I'm saying is that laymen shouldn't write off a seasoned expert simply because he made negative comments about fan favourite's car design.

Fair enough..... But sometimes the good stuff or reasonable stuff often gets chuckled in with the not so good stuff...... and is perceived in a similar way.

#15172 dans79

dans79

• 279 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 19:48

Well if it gains lap time in medium to high speed corners it will help the nullify the mechanical "problem".

Well yes, But how much more can we gain? We are already much faster than RB in speed traps during qualifying (over 10kph in Bahrain). So, seems like we are geared high already to compensate for our lack of mechanical grip. This could also explain why we get better deeper into the race, in other words we are geared to high on full fuel to accelerate properly. Look at Vettel's start in Bahrain he has a huge lead by the first turn and a 2.27 second lead after the first lap. Imo the only way he can do this, is because he is running lower gears and getting better mechanical grip.

#15173 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 4,333 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 20:06

Is that what really passes for photography these days? Surely a decent photographer has taken some images of the new nose without all the hideous self promotion :down:

It's not about self promotion it's about people not paying to use his images so he puts a watermark on them - those that pay get a copy without the watermark

#15174 femi

femi

• 8,288 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 20:13

Well yes, But how much more can we gain? We are already much faster than RB in speed traps during qualifying (over 10kph in Bahrain). So, seems like we are geared high already to compensate for our lack of mechanical grip. This could also explain why we get better deeper into the race, in other words we are geared to high on full fuel to accelerate properly. Look at Vettel's start in Bahrain he has a huge lead by the first turn and a 2.27 second lead after the first lap. Imo the only way he can do this, is because he is running lower gears and getting better mechanical grip.

Maybe, but I think the RB fuel economy and hence lighter starting weight played a significant role as well.

#15175 dans79

dans79

• 279 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 20:35

Maybe, but I think the RB fuel economy and hence lighter starting weight played a significant role as well.

That's a good point, I wonder how much carrying 18 liters less amounts to time wise!
http://www.formula1o...-efficient.html

#15176 techspeed

techspeed

• 373 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 20:47

So a professional photographer who has paid for a licence from F1 to take photos - who only earns his living by selling the photos he's taken - is supposed to offer them for free with no branding?
Considering some news websites are notorious for lifting photos from the internet then doing everything they can to avoid paying for them, do you expect anything different.

#15177 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 21:03

So a professional photographer who has paid for a licence from F1 to take photos - who only earns his living by selling the photos he's taken - is supposed to offer them for free with no branding?
Considering some news websites are notorious for lifting photos from the internet then doing everything they can to avoid paying for them, do you expect anything different.

He's free to do that, all I'm saying is considering there are tons of other sources out there and photographers who do not participate in this kind of behaviour, I don't know why people decide to keep on choosing this guy. It's a free market, yes?

All I was saying is surely there is someone out there, or images out there, without the hideous self promotion. And I know there is. No need to jump down my throat just for suggesting better alternatives.

#15178 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 21:37

That's a good point, I wonder how much carrying 18 liters less amounts to time wise!
http://www.formula1o...-efficient.html

If the 18 litres (approx 12.5kg) was accurate, it would equate to around 0.4 secs per lap at the start of the race.
With that said, I highly doubt that the Renault is really that much (10%!) more fuel efficient than the Mercedes.

#15179 hunnylander

hunnylander

• 4,448 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:35

Easy!

I was linking from the Sutton Images public database for the very reason to verify that specific - first introduced to thread - image wasn't Photoshop, when it was new to us and still questioned. Why Sutton Images? Because Sutton Images was the source of that specific image, which was linked from F1Technical and Autosprint.

You may find these images without watermarks at a gazillion sites. Why? Because Sutton Images are offering them for editorial usage etc.

You have NO reason to bash Sutton Images. They were the professional photographers who have taken some images of the new nose, and then the images were up on Formula1.com and co, on the same or next day in hi-res!

It's not really the photographers and media site's responsibility no-one noticed a new nose! It's the fans' and the experts' blindness and dilettantism too!

Advertisement

#15180 makroncommander

makroncommander

• 142 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:05

Cant a wheel heating system be designed so that the driver flips a switch on or off when he needs adjustment in tyre temp?

Changing aero to blow(by the driver) is outside the rules, but what about a separate system, like coils that heat up the wheel that heat up the tyre. instead of a mechanic manually fiddling with aero in the pits?

Anybody?

#15181 hunnylander

hunnylander

• 4,448 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:12

Anybody?

What would control the coil or how a coil could control the tyre temp toward the optimum?

This is not about simple heat up, this is about controlling the temperatures, sometimes it's too much, sometimes it's not enough.

Edited by hunnylander, 09 May 2012 - 05:12.

#15182 makroncommander

makroncommander

• 142 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:47

What would control the coil or how a coil could control the tyre temp toward the optimum?

This is not about simple heat up, this is about controlling the temperatures, sometimes it's too much, sometimes it's not enough.

"What would control the coil"
Electricity

"how a coil could control the tyre temp toward the optimum?"
This was just a basic idea, there could be heat sensors that control the amount of heat delivered.

This system could be more precise than a driver weaving to the right and left getting temp into the tyres.

Would such a system be illegal?

#15183 tommyhjortasen

tommyhjortasen

• 587 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:04

If the 18 litres (approx 12.5kg) was accurate, it would equate to around 0.4 secs per lap at the start of the race.
With that said, I highly doubt that the Renault is really that much (10%!) more fuel efficient than the Mercedes.

About the fuel consumption, I mentioned this a few hundred pages back, but no one belived me. Guess it is the same with the very low chassi and air.

Edited by tommyhjortasen, 09 May 2012 - 07:10.

#15184 hunnylander

hunnylander

• 4,448 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:44

About the fuel consumption, I mentioned this a few hundred pages back, but no one belived me.

That's not true!

You were late to the party. When you brought that subject into the topic, it wasn't new already.

Your numbers were wrong, exaggerated. We could know the numbers from the boss of Renault F1 Sport, well before you made up yours. And even those Renault numbers were guesses and calculated on 2011 data, cannot be precisely relevant for 2012.

#15185 FerrariAlonso

FerrariAlonso

• 409 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:13

http://www.omnicorse...inamico-sanchez

Apparently McLaren's head of aerodinamics David sanchez has left the team and is about to join Ferrari.

#15186 Speedoholic

Speedoholic

• 212 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:27

http://www.omnicorse...inamico-sanchez

Apparently McLaren's head of aerodinamics David sanchez has left the team and is about to join Ferrari.

What's with all the McLaren employees leaving to Ferrari?

#15187 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,621 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:30

Pretty sure these things happen all the time (going both ways), just not necessarily publicised.

#15188 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 4,333 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:31

"What would control the coil"
Electricity

"how a coil could control the tyre temp toward the optimum?"
This was just a basic idea, there could be heat sensors that control the amount of heat delivered.

This system could be more precise than a driver weaving to the right and left getting temp into the tyres.

Would such a system be illegal?

Not sure it's legal but also it uses a lot of energy/ electricity to heat elements - battery would need to be big (heavy), if the energy was harvested then it would be on top of the KERS so would effect brake balance. The control of airflow to the tyres seems a far more efficient way of controlling temperature - fewer moving parts, easily adjustable by mechanics I think it's a neat solution. On the flip side it's been interesting to see that Mac have been losing pace in the race since they've had it on the car. Are they fiddling around too much and actually hindering rather than helping? I'm sure it's something that can bring benefit but I feel like we're yet to see that benefit.

#15189 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 4,333 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:33

Pretty sure these things happen all the time (going both ways), just not necessarily publicised.

jonathan neale made that point early on in the season suggesting that perhaps Ferrari publicise their acquisitions more. However, it can't be a great thing to lose the head of aerodynamics. Again, to play devils advocate, I remember there being a lot of talk at the end of last year about all the engineers going to Ferrari and Mercedes and how Mclaren would suffer yet that hasn't turned out to be the case at the beginning of 2012.

#15190 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:39

Ferrari wants the best so naturally they poach McLaren employees. Ferrari must not have a very good system going if they don't have any young technicians/engineers/aero etc etc etc guys of their own to promote.

#15191 FerrariAlonso

FerrariAlonso

• 409 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:43

I think it is quite obvious. Fernando tempted Fry to join Ferrari back at the middle of 2010. Since then Fry has been tempting some of his good collegues.
McLaren has lost some very important technicans in December who all joined Ferrari. That should have its effect later in the future, maybe after the middle of this season.

#15192 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,621 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:52

I think it is quite obvious. Fernando tempted Fry to join Ferrari back at the middle of 2010. Since then Fry has been tempting some of his good collegues.
McLaren has lost some very important technicans in December who all joined Ferrari. That should have its effect later in the future, maybe after the middle of this season.

I couldn't decide which response to go with so here are both:

(a) Yeah, because Pat Fry turned out so well.

(b) Keep dreaming. It was supposed to have it's effect this year, look how that turned out.

#15193 f1rookie

f1rookie

• 254 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:55

FIA want to reduce fuel consumption in 2014 to 70% of the current 150kg allowance. V6 Turbo going to increase laptimes?

No…turbo boost pressure will be limited and KERS will augment the 1.6 Litre turbo.

#15194 FerrariAlonso

FerrariAlonso

• 409 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:59

I couldn't decide which response to go with so here are both:

(a) Yeah, because Pat Fry turned out so well.

(b) Keep dreaming. It was supposed to have it's effect this year, look how that turned out.

Maybe you got my post wrong. I don't think McLaren will suffer from that cos they have quite strong group of technicians and lots of newly graduated newcomers. On the other hand, Ferrari should be much stronger in aerodinamics, cos this is the very area where they have to catch up.

#15195 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,621 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:03

Maybe you got my post wrong. I don't think McLaren will suffer from that cos they have quite strong group of technicians and lots of newly graduated newcomers. On the other hand, Ferrari should be much stronger in aerodinamics, cos this is the very area where they have to catch up.

Fair enough, I thought the "effect" you were referring to was some form of detriment to Mclaren, not improvement in Ferrari, if so, yes I read it wrong.

#15196 revlec

revlec

• 2,721 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:10

Gazzetta reports McLaren did pass a new crash test for the new nose and says McLaren will test it Friday in Montmelo. And that the new nose will allow more aggressive aerodynamic solutions.

Posted Image

Even McLaren goes to the stepped nose? (almost)
At Mugello the Woking team has
surprised everyone with a nose much higher off the ground,
but especially with the wavy pattern in the
upper part (circle to the right). It was an
experiment, but also on Friday at the
practice of the Spanish Grand Prix at Montmelo we will see this
solution that resulted in a new crash tests. The
Corrugated high nose allows greater passage
air in the lower part and then more aggressive aerodynamic solutions.
Finally McLaren would
follow the Mercedes GP in an attempt to
introduce the f duct on the front.
In the circle to
left the nose used in the first 4 races.

Finally, Mclaren mercedes would have given up trying to follow the Mercedes Gp in an attempt to introduce the F-duct at the front.
(In other words, Mclaren would NOT follow Mercedes)
[sorry to be late, and thanks for the article]

Edited by revlec, 09 May 2012 - 08:12.

#15197 Pamphlet

Pamphlet

• 414 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:12

It does say "rinunciato", which is awfully close to renounce, AKA give up. So yeah, don't expect the W-Duct any time soon.

Not that they need it - they still have the best quali car.

#15198 f1rules

f1rules

• 8,033 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:54

Actually i would prefer they forgot the ddrs, and concentrated in, making it possbile for mechanics to easy and fast change rear wheel geometry during pitstops. Or whatever it takes to get the most out of theese tires. No upgrade will get you the time, an always optimal rear tire setup will give you, i think thats the one thing we have learned from theese first 4 races.

#15199 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:20

Martin Whitmarsh confirms that McLaren is likely to run a higher nose in Barcelona as seen at the Mugello test

ESPN F1 Live ‏ @ESPNF1 - twitter

Advertisement

#15200 Owen

Owen

• 13,183 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:35

ESPN F1 Live ‏ @ESPNF1 - twitter

Hope it can deliver on track. :up: