Photo

SPEED TV Formula 1 coverage in the United States [merged]

• Please log in to reply
241 replies to this topic

#101 T-Mobile

T-Mobile

• 665 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:47

Good thing the alternative these days isn't nothing.

Yea but the alternative doesn't permit live viewing? Or does it?

I can tape delay BBC, but I'd rather watch live.

Advertisement

#102 MightyMoose

MightyMoose
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,188 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 13:54

Yea but the alternative doesn't permit live viewing? Or does it?

I can tape delay BBC, but I'd rather watch live.

I certainly pick up live BBC coverage via my PC, and if I could be bothered to link that into the TV I'm sure I could watch it on my nice widescreen. It all depends on how pissed off you are at the level of coverage/knowledge/adverts etc that you get and whether it's enough to make you go that extra mile to improve it.
MM

#103 FEDERAL

FEDERAL

• 113 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 16:19

Good thing the alternative these days isn't nothing.

Not trying to be a smart ass here, but really? I did not realize that there was an other free to air broadcast of F1 available in my part of the United States? Yes, there are other sources for information/viewing available to US fans today thanks to the advent of technology, but when it comes to free TV, Speed is it. Take it or leave it.

As MightyMouse said, I know I can locate a BBC feed online (illegally) and stream it through my iMac which is wired into my 60" plasma, but is it really worth all of that effort? I have done it a few times and the quality of the feed has not been all that great compared to the HD feed from Speed.

I thought this discussion was about Speed and their quality of coverage of free to air racing. I was merely pointing out that while being far from perfect, it is a hell of allot better than what was available only a few years ago.

#104 Bunchies

Bunchies

• 1,501 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 16:23

Peter Windsor was terrible. I hope he never comes the the USA again. Considering the carnage and unpaid bills he left in his wake I wouldn't doubt if he skipped the Austin race.

Peter Windsor would never ask if anyone would be starting on Intermediates for a dry race.

#105 Bunchies

Bunchies

• 1,501 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 16:31

Not trying to be a smart ass here, but really? I did not realize that there was an other free to air broadcast of F1 available in my part of the United States? Yes, there are other sources for information/viewing available to US fans today thanks to the advent of technology, but when it comes to free TV, Speed is it. Take it or leave it.

As MightyMouse said, I know I can locate a BBC feed online (illegally) and stream it through my iMac which is wired into my 60" plasma, but is it really worth all of that effort? I have done it a few times and the quality of the feed has not been all that great compared to the HD feed from Speed.

I thought this discussion was about Speed and their quality of coverage of free to air racing. I was merely pointing out that while being far from perfect, it is a hell of allot better than what was available only a few years ago.

Is SPEED really free to air in your area? Our local (national) conglomerate, Comcast, requires that you buy a premium sports package (it's only an extra 5 dollars a month), in order to watch Speed. The thing is, I've had this for years, and have looked at alternatives.

The streaming quality is usually quite terrible, yes. But if you don't have to watch it live, the bbc provides a much better broadcasting package, and you can even get it in HD.

If you look back on my posts in this thread, you will see that I did discuss the quality of Speed coverage, and my opinions on it. The BBC comparison can be used as a model for what we would like to see and what we would not like to see.

#106 Xpat

Xpat

• 17,723 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 18:28

Is SPEED really free to air in your area? Our local (national) conglomerate, Comcast, requires that you buy a premium sports package (it's only an extra 5 dollars a month), in order to watch Speed. The thing is, I've had this for years, and have looked at alternatives.

The streaming quality is usually quite terrible, yes. But if you don't have to watch it live, the bbc provides a much better broadcasting package, and you can even get it in HD.

If you look back on my posts in this thread, you will see that I did discuss the quality of Speed coverage, and my opinions on it. The BBC comparison can be used as a model for what we would like to see and what we would not like to see.

Speed, on Comcast, has always been part of our basic cable package.

#107 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:53

Speed, on Comcast, has always been part of our basic cable package.

Same here. I go through Cox Cable here in Virginia.

We even get the HD Speed channel at no extra cost.

Sucks some people have to pay extra to watch the channel, which is generally crap other than their scant motorsport showings.

Edited by Seanspeed, 14 May 2011 - 11:53.

#108 T-Mobile

T-Mobile

• 665 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 21:55

I feel fortunate because of what I had to do for a few months in college...I was in a dorm and had no access to SPEEDTV and had to search for the BBC feed.

I have to say the recent BBC feature comparing Vettel and Webber's qualifying laps was great.

#109 T-Mobile

T-Mobile

• 665 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 13:06

Thank you SPEED, for interrupting Alonso's mid-race radio transmission around lap 40 for a Spanish culture interlude. Even Varsha was put off and surprised by it.

Edited by T-Mobile, 22 May 2011 - 13:07.

#110 T-Mobile

T-Mobile

• 665 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 13:33

now a commericial during the final battle for re lead in Spain.

#111 Flash

Flash

• 1,168 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 15:09

Well, I don't know if any of you have a channel called Fox Deportes, It's Fox Sports in Spanish. They are showing the races (mostly live) at the same time as Speed. Obviously the language is spanish, but I prefer to watch this over the Speed channel, the reason? they don't have too many commercials as Speed.
Could be an option when Speed goes to commercial breaks.

#112 Bunchies

Bunchies

• 1,501 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 15:56

Why on earth does Speed think that it's a good idea to slot a music video and a 'travel to spain' infomercial during the MIDDLE of the grand prix? And then they have the audacity to immediately follow it with commercials.

Why, when Heikki crashed, did Speed think that it was necessary to show footage of his 08 crash? Who gives a ****? There's a RACE going on.

Speed's coverage this year is seriously making me rethink my cable package. I'm paying for junk.

edit:

And Speed's INANE commentary team. Those guys seem to be 20-30 years removed from the racing world, they suck at reading races.

*Shot of Kobayashi on HARDS*

"Now a LOTUS is behind him, he must be having some sort of problem."

Honestly, their work only deserves a patronizing glance and a shake of the head. It is simply AWFUL.

Edited by Bunchies, 22 May 2011 - 16:00.

#113 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 17:24

Honestly, their work only deserves a patronizing glance and a shake of the head. It is simply AWFUL.

I agree.

#114 T-Mobile

T-Mobile

• 665 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 17:06

I knew the races on FOX were bad but this was shameful- the broadcast started after the cars had already taken off. They are going through the starting grid on the 3rd lap...no pre race at all. They didn't even show us the cars on the grid.

#115 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 18:50

The BBC has a thread, and after today's Turkish Grand Prix I felt compelled to start a SPEED TV thread for us few US fans. While I have typically enjoyed Speed's Formula 1 coverage, some things are getting better while others aren't.

For one, there were way too many commercials. I believe there was one on lap 40-42, and then another one on lap 46. As luck would have it we also missed Webber's pass on Alonso. I read on another forum that FOM restricts picture-in-picture commercials similar to Indy Car, where you still see the race in the corner. Does anyone know about this?

Aside from that, the new graphics are atrocious. Here in the first year of high-definition F1, we have graphics so large that they cover the action on screen. During the parade lap, SPEED displays driver pictures and names showing their starting position. OK, but do these graphics have to take up nearly half of an HD picture? While there is not much action on a parade lap, I'd still like to be able to see the cars.

Of course, the fact that we only have Will Buxton on location is also problematic. It would be nice to have more on-location content. Then again, that probably just reflects F1's popularity in the US. I envy fans overseas who talk of watching F1 in a pub. The day I get to watch a GP during the evening at a pub while enjoying some hops is the day I die happy. I don't even have any friends remotely interested in F1. People give me blank stares when I speak of it.

As for the commentators, I don't really want to complain. Unless we know of people who would certainly be better, I am fine with Bob, David, and Steve.

...and if Will Buxton keeps saying 'unlucky' every time a driver retires I might just mute the TV.

Thoughts?

I am not sure but do they even have their camera at the track, or they watching TV as a next guy is? Varsha is loveable, and allways fair; can't stand the other two.

Edited by Sakae, 12 June 2011 - 18:53.

#116 saintclaire

saintclaire

• 23 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 18:54

I do that too. The Speed announcers are unwatchable. The average fan at home can work out what's happening better than those three.

The only one there that I don't mind is David Hobbs. Bob varsha is always making idiotic comments not related to what's actually going on and still to this day can't pronounce Senna's name.

I watch all the races on line and record speed tv to compare and it's the only way for me.

The best speed coverage is the on line practice sessions that they don't broadcast. There is no commentary, only the sound of the engines. Bliss.

#117 loki

loki

• 12,301 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 19:10

I knew the races on FOX were bad but this was shameful- the broadcast started after the cars had already taken off. They are going through the starting grid on the 3rd lap...no pre race at all. They didn't even show us the cars on the grid.

That's normal for Fox. At times there was a pre grid on Speed but not today. I am surprised that they are carrying it past the two hour time slot though some markets may have switched to local programming.

#118 seltaeb

seltaeb

• 680 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 19:26

Oh my god, the Fox coverage is horrible. I've seen more commercials today than ever before in my whole life.

Thank god for downloadable BBC coverage.

#119 Bunchies

Bunchies

• 1,501 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 20:01

That's normal for Fox. At times there was a pre grid on Speed but not today. I am surprised that they are carrying it past the two hour time slot though some markets may have switched to local programming.

I hope they finish the race. It would be a farce not to, and Speed would surely do it.

Advertisement

#120 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:39

The only one there that I don't mind is David Hobbs. Bob varsha is always making idiotic comments not related to what's actually going on and still to this day can't pronounce Senna's name.

The best speed coverage is the on line practice sessions that they don't broadcast. There is no commentary, only the sound of the engines. Bliss.

To be fair, DC can't pronounce Massa or Vettel's names.

And I agree that the best SPEED coverage is the free online streaming.

#121 Collective

Collective

• 1,524 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 13:57

Happy stream-hunting for the next 3 races people! They'll be tape delayed at 1pm on FOX.

#122 Kubiccia

Kubiccia

• 1,370 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 14:23

Can someone, please, post the audio of it after the red flagged part?

I would love to listean to Bob and David comments :D

#123 T-Mobile

T-Mobile

• 665 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 14:41

I'll certainly be using an online feed for the next few races. The tape-delay is ridiculous.

I actually used it this race - during commercial breaks I turned up the volume of the BBC on my PC, then switched back to FOX when it resumed. The downside is that the stream video quality is quite poor.

I really don't know what FOX is thinking...the race was late to come on, and on my channel the only program before it (directly preceding the GP) was an informercial about a shirt women wear to suck in their fat! If youre going to delay the race at least do so for a good reason! I wonder what will be airing in the mornings of the delayed race starts. Probably more infomercials.

FOX :down:

#124 loki

loki

• 12,301 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 19:33

What's on prior to the race is a local affiliate decision. Fox only owns a handful of stations due to US law. The majority of the stations are independently owned and operated and decide what is on prior to the race.

#125 T-Mobile

T-Mobile

• 665 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 02:36

So, the local affiliates deem it necessary to reduce the race so that we can't even see the cars on the grid?

The other thing was...I though Bob Varsha was supposed to be on-location in Montreal?

#126 lanceroten

lanceroten

• 9 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:04

Hate the tape delays :rolleyes: . Stream search coming up ...as for Varsha, he was on "assignment" in Montreal. Then left. :lol:

#127 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:13

Fox sucks - but at least they played the race on time for the Canada race. When they play it at a "later convenient time" it is terrible. Speed is much better - but all US channels have a huge problem called commercials. Football/Basketball and Hockey have worked them into the game schedule, but racing can't do it. Some millionaire(s) need to buy out the commercial time so we don't get interruptions.

Edited by bourbon, 14 June 2011 - 03:14.

#128 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 16:25

I'm not sure where else to put this, so seeing as this appears to be a SPEED TV thread, I thought I'd put it here - SPEED TV are launching a wrestling promotion involving NASCAR personalities, and no, I'm not joking:

- http://twitter.com/AWWCommish
- http://www.pwinsider...pdates.html?p=1

I'm not sure how wrestling and motor racing can possibly mix, but there you are.

#129 pup

pup

• 2,614 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 16:42

God bless America.

#130 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 16:55

FOX doesn't work for me either; but they do have broader coverage in the USA. For example, most hotels DON'T carry the Speed Channel. So you're screwed if you're traveling. The one thing Bernie doesn't do well is TV.

#131 alexocfp

alexocfp

• 271 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 04:07

so, not only are the races tape delayed on fox (I'm sure the Sunday 8am time slot is so important to fox that they cant show the race, the infomercial for cheap blenders takes precedence) but the coverage is dumbed down so much I'm surprised they don't tell us the cars on the grid each have 4 tires.

On the bright side, Fox Deportes will show the races live with Spanish language commentary. For football matches on the channel, they have English language sap options so maybe the race will have the English commentary track live that fox will air later that afternoon.

Or why not have speed show the race live the air it on delay on fox for the novices?

Tape delay? what year is this again?

Edited by alexocfp, 18 June 2011 - 04:16.

#132 T-Mobile

T-Mobile

• 665 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 04:48

It's one of those things where I would love to see FOX try and justify their decisions. I mean they didn''t even show the begining of the race! The cars were halfway around the circuit by the time it came on...I couldn't believe it.

#133 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 11:33

I thought the whole reason for the 4 races on Fox was to grow the sport in the US by showing it on a broadcast channel and at a reasonable time. The bottom line is F1 is a niche sport in the US and there isn't that many people getting up at 6:00am or earlier to watch the races.

We have around 310 million people in the US and how many watch SPEED's F1 coverage? 300-600,000? More people in the US watch Deadliest Catch and Jr. vs. Sr than F1. Heck I bet more people watch the midgets than F1.

SPEED is coverage on a shoestring because no one watches it but a small group of us. You can tell by the small time commercials that the audience isn't even big enough to draw major companies.

It is what it is. :cool:

#134 tkulla

tkulla

• 3,824 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 20:53

Using tape delay is ridiculous. There's just no reason for it... Wimbledon will be shown live here, as is every other European sporting event that finds it's way to network TV over here. The European season is great here on the east coast because an 8:00 race along with coffee and breakfast is a great way to start the day.

Now it's dead in the middle of the day and I have to avoid finding out the results. Damn you Fox!

#135 T-Mobile

T-Mobile

• 665 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 23:07

It actually felt strange for me to be watching a GP at a 'normal' hour like 2PM. I am kinda used to and expecting to be watching at odd hours. Though I do enjoy it..

Edited by T-Mobile, 18 June 2011 - 23:07.

#136 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,812 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 23:18

Using tape delay is ridiculous. There's just no reason for it... Wimbledon will be shown live here, as is every other European sporting event that finds it's way to network TV over here. The European season is great here on the east coast because an 8:00 race along with coffee and breakfast is a great way to start the day.

Now it's dead in the middle of the day and I have to avoid finding out the results. Damn you Fox!

The post before yours explains it perfectly.

#137 tkulla

tkulla

• 3,824 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 00:42

The post before yours explains it perfectly.

Except that they're not building an audience - they'd have to actually promote the race with ad time to do that, and I've seen no evidence of that. Frankly, I think they'd have much better luck showing the races live in the morning rather than trying to compete head to head with NASCAR in the middle of the afternoon.

The Senna movie would have helped get an audience for these races but it's not in theaters here until August, and even then will be limited release.

#138 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,255 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 02:46

...For example, most hotels DON'T carry the Speed Channel. So you're screwed if you're traveling. The one thing Bernie doesn't do well is TV.

And that,David,is the reason I employ my own small, tidy solution upon these hotel offerings.

SlingBox your way out of oppression.
Worked for me...but then I end up streaming the frickin' NASCAR when they [insert world champions here/] :yawnface:

Some millionaire(s) need to buy out the commercial time so we don't get interruptions.

F1... A time buy.
AWESOME.

Jp

#139 loki

loki

• 12,301 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 05:06

Except that they're not building an audience - they'd have to actually promote the race with ad time to do that, and I've seen no evidence of that. Frankly, I think they'd have much better luck showing the races live in the morning rather than trying to compete head to head with NASCAR in the middle of the afternoon.

The numbers on Fox are typically twice to four times the numbers for Speed.

Advertisement

#140 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 05:40

The numbers on Fox are typically twice to four times the numbers for Speed.

I get the point, but what's the likelihood of someone going out to mow the lawn while leaving FOX running and scoring points instead of Speed?

I can relate to having (had) Speedvision as a default channel, but Speed? yuck..

And so on.. etc..

We'd need an Adjustment Bureau for those stats.. (cool movie btw, 50% love story 50% action flick with a twist, forgettable but excellent before eventually getting laid.. 'it's in the script!'.. yay.)

#141 hunnylander

hunnylander

• 4,448 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 07:38

We have around 310 million people in the US and how many watch SPEED's F1 coverage? 300-600,000?

It's 1,200,000 for a 10 million country here.

Despite the coverage is sub-optimal; 4:3 SD, near clueless lead commentator with near unbearable voice and style. No free practices, no classy running-up parts to qualy and race etc.

I think we beat the UK too with this popularity ratio.

#142 Bunchies

Bunchies

• 1,501 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 16:40

It actually felt strange for me to be watching a GP at a 'normal' hour like 2PM. I am kinda used to and expecting to be watching at odd hours. Though I do enjoy it..

It kinda sucks, because the weekend is moving along "slower" than usual. You would usually have a race ready on sunday mornings, rather than having to wait until mid day.

#143 Lotus72b

Lotus72b

• 1,980 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 19:57

I depise watching tape delay Formula 1 races because once the race is over. ESPN will show who won the race and makes it impossible to enjoy the race good or bad. Can someone give me a link in my PM so I can watch the next race live instead of tape delay.

#144 Kubiccia

Kubiccia

• 1,370 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 14:11

Can someone, please, post the audio of it after the red flagged part?

I would love to listean to Bob and David comments :D

Please, anyone :|

I wanna listean the comments of Hobbs and Varsha when Schumacher had the flamboyant moment after the red flag

#145 ch103

ch103

• 2,039 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 14:20

:up: for early GP's
:down: for FOX F1 coverage

#146 alexocfp

alexocfp

• 271 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:19

as a reminder, fox deportes will be showing the race live at 8am eastern, coverage begins at 7 with the pre race show,

Hopefully they provide a english language sap option to complement the spanish announce team. Im betting if there is sap, it will be the fox track to be used later that afternoon. Or if the sap option is just the on track sounds, I will take that over everything else.

Edited by alexocfp, 22 June 2011 - 03:21.

#147 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:48

I depise watching tape delay Formula 1 races because once the race is over. ESPN will show who won the race and makes it impossible to enjoy the race good or bad. Can someone give me a link in my PM so I can watch the next race live instead of tape delay.

Is it some kind of requirement that you watch ESPN the morning of the race? How about walking the dog? Cutting the grass? Having the Grand Slam breakfast at Denny's? You do have some control about what choices you make the morning of the race...don't you? :smoking:

BTW - Go to the race thread on the day of the race and ask then for a link via PM and someone will help you. When it comes to sharing race links via PM's we are all brothers and sisters no matter what team or driver you support.

Edited by Watkins74, 22 June 2011 - 03:51.

#148 Lotus72b

Lotus72b

• 1,980 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 04:46

Is it some kind of requirement that you watch ESPN the morning of the race? How about walking the dog? Cutting the grass? Having the Grand Slam breakfast at Denny's? You do have some control about what choices you make the morning of the race...don't you? :smoking:

BTW - Go to the race thread on the day of the race and ask then for a link via PM and someone will help you. When it comes to sharing race links via PM's we are all brothers and sisters no matter what team or driver you support.

Well I like watching highlights from the night before and I don't have grass in front of the house. But the crazy part is I try to sleep late until 12pm, but I usually wake up around 8am for the morning of the race, Maybe it's a routine.

#149 Lotus72b

Lotus72b

• 1,980 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 06:13

Well I like watching highlights from the night before and I don't have grass in front of the house. But the crazy part is I try to sleep late until 12pm, but I usually wake up around 8am for the morning of the race, Maybe it's a routine.

Does anybody have any links so I can watch the race lice from The US?

#150 tkulla

tkulla

• 3,824 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:38

Does anybody have any links so I can watch the race lice from The US?

I need a link too!