Photo

SPEED TV Formula 1 coverage in the United States [merged]

• Please log in to reply
241 replies to this topic

#201 beanoid

beanoid

• 5,247 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 17:01

Sam Posey is suffering from Parkinson's. It's up to you but you might give him a break.

That's what I meant by "sad." His witterings, for me at least, add nothing to the coverage, and smack of the network just giving him the job out of pity. It's patently obvious that no one edits his stuff. It's not analysis, it's not news, it's not anything--a bit like that music video filler they're so fond of.

Anyway, I hope your judgment of Posey isn't based on emotion. ;)

Advertisement

#202 Xpat

Xpat

• 17,673 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 17:58

That's what I meant by "sad." His witterings, for me at least, add nothing to the coverage, and smack of the network just giving him the job out of pity. It's patently obvious that no one edits his stuff. It's not analysis, it's not news, it's not anything--a bit like that music video filler they're so fond of.

Anyway, I hope your judgment of Posey isn't based on emotion.;)

Like I said, it is up to you if you give him a break.

#203 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 19:02

Man, Leigh Diffey is a lot better than Varsha.

#204 Satchel

Satchel

• 10 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 19:13

I watched Speed's coverage for the first time in months this morning - it further solidified my hatred for Steve's commentary, during-session commercials, and the way that Speed seemingly tells the three of them to cater exclusively to the fan who has never seen an F1 race in his life as opposed to talking about.... well, anything that an F1 fan would be interested to hear. 99% of viewers know the qualifying format, and if you can't figure it out after watching for 30 minutes then F1 isn't the sport for you to follow. David and Steve have a great sense of humor with each other, this is the nicest thing I can say unfortunately.

Edited by Satchel, 22 September 2012 - 19:16.

#205 montoyasminion

montoyasminion

• 387 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 20:11

Is the USGP gonna be on Speed or Fox. Just wonderin'

#206 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 21:14

I watched Speed's coverage for the first time in months this morning - it further solidified my hatred for Steve's commentary, during-session commercials, and the way that Speed seemingly tells the three of them to cater exclusively to the fan who has never seen an F1 race in his life as opposed to talking about.... well, anything that an F1 fan would be interested to hear. 99% of viewers know the qualifying format, and if you can't figure it out after watching for 30 minutes then F1 isn't the sport for you to follow. David and Steve have a great sense of humor with each other, this is the nicest thing I can say unfortunately.

+ 1

Had the misfortune of having to watch quali on Speed today.... it was awful.

They missed the first 2 mins of Q1, choosing to show a feature instead. They they showed clips of any "incidents" - no matter how trivial - whenever possible rather than the live action on the track in Q1 and Q2... then in Q3 they missed the fact that LH's first lap was mega! in fact they only once mentioned in passing that the lap was "quite rapid" ... WTF is their problem :mad:

I shall be watching the race on a bootleg stream... as I tend to do when I find that Speed is my only option on TV.

These guys are singlehandedly responsible for F1's lack of popularity in the USA. If I had to watch them rather than British commentary when I was younger there is no way I would be an F1 fan today.

#207 montoyasminion

montoyasminion

• 387 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 23:48

They don't control the replays, thats FOM.

#208 SUPRAF1

SUPRAF1

• 400 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:36

I found out that SPEED has quite a lot of videos online by Varsha/Matchett/Hobbs including things like post race/qualifying analysis and in-depth track guides. I'm not sure if they are available to everyone though. Could just be North America only. However it's nice to see that they do them despite getting only 1-2k views.

www.speedtv.com

#209 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,037 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 19:49

So then Lovers and Haters....
As of next year SPEED TV will be no longer as FOX is turning it into Fox Sports 1.
It will feature baseball and college football.
F1???.... no mention anywhere of coverage and, correct me if I am wrong here, their contract runs out at the end of the year.

So .. Where' Bernie gonna do the next TV deal and where would Y'all like to see it ?

Jp

Edited by jonpollak, 03 October 2012 - 19:51.

#210 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 19:54

They should just allow us to purchase the GPs on the net. Work a deal with SKY since they already have a net feed and open it up for N. American viewers. They need to finalize a means for us to watch ALL of the GPs in real time.

#211 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 19:54

As of next year SPEED TV will be no longer as FOX is turning it into Fox Sports 1.
F1???.... no mention anywhere of coverage and, correct me if I am wrong here, their contract runs out at the end of the year.

So .. Where' Bernie gonna do the next TV deal and where would Y'all like to see it ?

Jp

Get it on ESPN. The job ESPN does with NASCAR is 1000000000000000000x better than FOX puts together.

#212 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 19:57

Jp

Also, can we get some links?

#213 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,037 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 22:30

Links?
What like hot links, barbecue links, deep fried pork links ?
Lemme slip down to QueenBee and pickup Y'all some of them fine fixin's.

Oh wait... is it proof you're after?

Jp

#214 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,037 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 22:49

You prolly think I'm a wise ass...

Dunno if this will work but...
http://news.google.c...UMjcA5HqgAennwE

Jp

#215 beanoid

beanoid

• 5,247 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 23:37

Article says 2014 rather than next year, although some of the Fox stuff looks to be starting next summer. Mid-season? WTF is up with that?

I am prepared that this may be the end of F1 coverage in the US, as well as all the bike stuff, unless the niche-y NBC Sports channel (formerly Vs.) picks some of it up, which it may--they already cover some open wheel and motocross stuff.

Sad, but not surprised. Speed has been on the ropes for quite a while.

Edited by beanoid, 03 October 2012 - 23:38.

#216 zeph

zeph

• 804 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 23:42

Fox already did a few broadcasts this summer. It was awful. I used to dislike SpeedTV but after Fox's abomination I was kind of relieved to have them back.

#217 FSA

FSA

• 613 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 23:57

It would be ironic if as the US gets not one but two Grand Prix on the F1 calendar for the first time in the recent era, it then drops tv coverage of the sport. You have to believe F1 tv coverage in the US will survive this.

The big plus is that most of the live practice/quali/race broadcasts take place at 5-8am US time so they wouldn't clash with any meaningful US sports events regardless of which sport we're talking about. So F1 might well survive whether on this new channel Fox Sports 1 or on the network Fox channel. It should survive (subject to Bernie's asking price).

And Ecclestone will probably know in advance if Fox is looking to drop F1 in the US completely as of next year. Presumably he will then shop it to other major US broadcasters, both network and sports-related ones.

But it's gonna be a nervous next few months waiting to find out.

Edited by FSA, 04 October 2012 - 19:46.

#218 loki

loki

• 12,097 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 00:43

Also, can we get some links?

It's all oer the Internets. Been known over here for the last several months. They'll still do NASCAR, half a season. No word yet on the NASCAR programming like quals and lifestyle shows or things like Windtunnel. There is Speed2.com that is a US only racing only streaming site. Word from Jayski is that Fox/Speed might not get the trucks again, that might go to NBC Sports (nee Versus) and the History Channel might be interested in some of the races. No word on F1 but I'd think that NBC Sports could be in a position top make a play. Fox may stil take a stab at it. Even that early in the morning they have to top brands advertising and for some of those sponsors it's not so much about how many watch but about who those are that watch. You don't sell a lot of 50-60k luxury sedans to Joe Six Pack.

#219 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 00:48

Links?
What like hot links, barbecue links, deep fried pork links ?
Lemme slip down to QueenBee and pickup Y'all some of them fine fixin's.

Oh wait... is it proof you're after?

Jp

Pork links please!

Advertisement

#220 montoyasminion

montoyasminion

• 387 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:36

Fox has been doing mid-season F1 broadcasts for like 5 years now people.

Used to be the USGP would be on ABC live. At least thats the way I remember.

Edited by montoyasminion, 04 October 2012 - 04:37.

#221 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:54

FOX and SPEED are the same people. It is the exact same announcers. The only change is that FOX tape delays the broadcast and SPEED doesn't.

#222 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,037 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:35

Pork links please!

Posted Image
Jp

#223 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,993 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:44

It was revealed on Midweek Motorsport yesterday that the rumours suggest that SPEED (or rather, it's replacement) is going to axe their own in-house F1 production and dump Varsha/Hobbs/Matchett/Buxton, and to use the Sky world feed instead :( :(

Edited by SonnyViceR, 04 October 2012 - 09:47.

#224 Xpat

Xpat

• 17,673 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:18

One thing that really seems to hinder the SPEED broadcast was that they won't cough up the money to send the announcers to the races.

Having the mid-season races on FOX was horrible. It's like F1 for slow kids. I recall the start of one broadcast where the half the cars were already stopped in their grid positions for the start. Really? Turns out they had to trim time so we could watch Back to the Future at 3pm.

#225 Rubens Hakkamacher

Rubens Hakkamacher

• 1,567 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 14:32

It was revealed on Midweek Motorsport yesterday that the rumours suggest that SPEED (or rather, it's replacement) is going to axe their own in-house F1 production and dump Varsha/Hobbs/Matchett/Buxton, and to use the Sky world feed instead :( :(

Having seen the Sky coverage - if they're talking about all of it, I hate to say but losing Varsha/Hobbs/Matchett pales. They do an hour beforehand - interviews with major players, at the track - it's incredible.

The only goal for Bernie would be to get the best coverage on cable systems in the U.S.. I'd suggest that might not be ESPN.

The Velocity channel, or a Discovery channel, featuring the *whole* Sky coverage would be great. Not to mention if they could get it to re-air during North American-friendly time slots.

#226 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,993 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 14:56

I've seen all of the variations currently available to English speaking world (BBC, Sky, Ten, Starsports, Setanta Ireland (with BBC comms) and SPEED/FOX)) but SPEED still remains as my favourite... dunno why, I just feel like home with Varsha and co. Yeah they make silly mistakes from time to time and stuff but to me they feel less generic and cold than the British counterparts. And yeah ads are there of course but EVERY SINGLE motorsport series I follow (both American and European) have them so I don't really care. And F1 isn't my holy grail

Shame if/when we loose the inhouse production. Hopefully SPEED/FOXSports1/whatever it becomes at least picks the new ALMS / Grand-Am merger series once the current TV deal ends. Signs of that are in the air

I guess Varsha could take the Indycar job from Jenkins and Hobbs could retire and possibly only do the selected events (Daytona, Le Mans etc)?

Edited by SonnyViceR, 04 October 2012 - 15:05.

#227 CONOSUR

CONOSUR

• 10,647 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 15:39

F1 will continue to air on Speed next year, as their contract currently runs through 2013. When the station's name changes isn't finalized, yet. The Austin race will air, with extended coverage of all sessions, on Speed this year. The NJ race will air on FOX next year (with any extended coverage on Speed/FS1), as FOX airs four races in-a-row beginning with Canada. There is currently no news regarding their current, in-house F1 production.

FOX/FS1 will never do a full hour of pre-race, or post-race broadcasting, and if anything interferes with baseball, or any baseball-related programming, F1 will be cut short, edited, or delayed.

The history of F1 broadcasting in America since the '80s has been to use the loyal F1 fan-base to build a new network, then dump F1 for higher-rated stick-and-ball sports. Sadly, the trend appears to be continuing...

:cool:

Edited by CONOSUR, 04 October 2012 - 15:40.

#228 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 15:47

The history of F1 broadcasting in America since the '80s has been to use the loyal F1 fan-base to build a new network, then dump F1 for higher-rated stick-and-ball sports. Sadly, the trend appears to be continuing...

I'm no expert but this hardly makes sense to me since most sports in North America are happening during the evening or the afternoon, while F1 is mostly in the morning or even during the night due to the time zones..

I guess it's inherently difficult to get good ratings, except for Brazil, Canada and now Austin but it doesn't clash with baseball or football and it's only a couple of blokes in a studio to provide basic coverage, so I don't see why it has to be so complicated.

Edited by Slowinfastout, 04 October 2012 - 15:51.

#229 CONOSUR

CONOSUR

• 10,647 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 16:00

It doesn't make much sense to me, either, because it doesn't really interfere with other programming, but that's what has happened. Imo, broadcasting rights for F1 are expensive and don't make much money for the broadcasters, due to the ratings, so they eventually dump it for something much more profitable.

#230 biercemountain

biercemountain

• 1,014 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 16:48

I guess Varsha could take the Indycar job from Jenkins and Hobbs could retire and possibly only do the selected events (Daytona, Le Mans etc)?

Fontana was Jenkins last Indycar broadcast. Although I'm not a huge fan of his work in the past decade you can't deny his staying power in American motorsports.

#231 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,993 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 17:35

Fontana was Jenkins last Indycar broadcast.

Yes, hence the suggestion  ;)

#232 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,037 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 17:42

F1 will continue to air on Speed next year, as their contract currently runs through 2013.

Well, there we have it...
A source to be trusted.

Thanks CONNIE :up:
Jp

#233 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,993 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 17:52

That was never in doubt... the real question mark will be the production

#234 travbrad

travbrad

• 1,058 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 18:34

They should just allow us to purchase the GPs on the net. Work a deal with SKY since they already have a net feed and open it up for N. American viewers. They need to finalize a means for us to watch ALL of the GPs in real time.

I would love it if they did that, and they might even get more viewers if they did since most people don't have the $150+ cable subscription that carries SPEED. If they really want F1 to gain popularity in the North America, blocking people from watching it with expensive cable plans isn't a great way to do it.

I don't have much hope of it actually happening though. For a sport that is so "high tech" they don't seem to want to join the 21st century when it comes to broadcasting.

#235 Xpat

Xpat

• 17,673 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 18:44

Having seen the Sky coverage - if they're talking about all of it, I hate to say but losing Varsha/Hobbs/Matchett pales. They do an hour beforehand - interviews with major players, at the track - it's incredible.

The only goal for Bernie would be to get the best coverage on cable systems in the U.S.. I'd suggest that might not be ESPN.

The Velocity channel, or a Discovery channel, featuring the *whole* Sky coverage would be great. Not to mention if they could get it to re-air during North American-friendly time slots.

Remember if it is on somewhere in the US they'll have to put commercials every 4 minutes to pay Bernie's fee.

I like the Speed guys but the BBC/SKY team is excellent. (are excellent?)

Edited by Xpat, 04 October 2012 - 19:10.

#236 zeph

zeph

• 804 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 18:46

FOX and SPEED are the same people. It is the exact same announcers. The only change is that FOX tape delays the broadcast and SPEED doesn't.

And way more commercial breaks on Fox. I missed a few crucial moments thanks to that.

#237 CONOSUR

CONOSUR

• 10,647 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 18:54

And way more commercial breaks on Fox. I missed a few crucial moments thanks to that.

The quantity of commercial breaks is about the same (+/- 2). The problem is that it's done in a broadcast that is 30min shorter.

#238 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,131 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 19:38

It would be ironic if as the US gets not one but two Grand Prix on the F1 calendar for the first time ever, it then drops tv coverage of the sport. You have to believe F1 tv coverage in the US will survive this.

The USA had at least two Grands Prix on the calendar from 1976 until 1984, with Watkins Glen, Long Beach, Las Vegas, Detroit and Dallas all sharing the load. In 1982, the championship schedule featured three American races: Long Beach, Detroit and Las Vegas.

#239 FSA

FSA

• 613 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 19:43

The USA had at least two Grands Prix on the calendar from 1976 until 1984, with Watkins Glen, Long Beach, Las Vegas, Detroit and Dallas all sharing the load. In 1982, the championship schedule featured three American races: Long Beach, Detroit and Las Vegas.

Thanks. I don't know why I phrased it that way. It isn't the first time ever, that's true. I must have been thinking recent era and typed first time ever instead.

(Just edited my original post)

Edited by FSA, 04 October 2012 - 19:46.

Advertisement

#240 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,131 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 19:49

Thanks. I don't know why I phrased it that way. It isn't the first time ever, that's true. I must have been thinking recent era and typed first time ever instead.

Perhaps because, despite the two or three races during these seasons, awareness of F1 in the USA was low in comparison with domestic series, and the succession of street races held after moving the event away from Watkins Glen were a failure in terms of penetrating the American market, thus rendering them unmemorable? Hopefully Austin and New Jersey (if the latter happens) will be more successful.

#241 CONOSUR

CONOSUR

• 10,647 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 20:52

This showed up on the screen this last race:

Posted Image

#242 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,037 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 17:20

That was never in doubt... the real question mark will be the production

Oh Was It Now....
I don't come in here without real reason ya know..
Jp