Photo

SPEED TV Formula 1 coverage in the United States [merged]

• Please log in to reply
241 replies to this topic

#1 T-Mobile

T-Mobile

• 665 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 23:19

The BBC has a thread, and after today's Turkish Grand Prix I felt compelled to start a SPEED TV thread for us few US fans. While I have typically enjoyed Speed's Formula 1 coverage, some things are getting better while others aren't.

For one, there were way too many commercials. I believe there was one on lap 40-42, and then another one on lap 46. As luck would have it we also missed Webber's pass on Alonso. I read on another forum that FOM restricts picture-in-picture commercials similar to Indy Car, where you still see the race in the corner. Does anyone know about this?

Aside from that, the new graphics are atrocious. Here in the first year of high-definition F1, we have graphics so large that they cover the action on screen. During the parade lap, SPEED displays driver pictures and names showing their starting position. OK, but do these graphics have to take up nearly half of an HD picture? While there is not much action on a parade lap, I'd still like to be able to see the cars.

Of course, the fact that we only have Will Buxton on location is also problematic. It would be nice to have more on-location content. Then again, that probably just reflects F1's popularity in the US. I envy fans overseas who talk of watching F1 in a pub. The day I get to watch a GP during the evening at a pub while enjoying some hops is the day I die happy. I don't even have any friends remotely interested in F1. People give me blank stares when I speak of it.

As for the commentators, I don't really want to complain. Unless we know of people who would certainly be better, I am fine with Bob, David, and Steve.

...and if Will Buxton keeps saying 'unlucky' every time a driver retires I might just mute the TV.

Thoughts?

Advertisement

#2 Yolandy

Yolandy

• 168 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 23:31

Thoughts?

I think the over-played commercials is just the American thing. On almost every networks (except for those like HBO) commercials are supposed to be there every 12 minutes.
I like the Speed pictures better than BBC, though not so sure this year since I haven't watched BBC HD on TV. Commentators are good, even though I wouldn't say better than MB and DC, but definitely much better than JA/Legard.
Coverages are of course, not as good as BBC, but considering they don't have BBC's budgets, I'm fine with that.

One thing might increase the audience is to move F1 from Speed to local FOX networks, as Speed is on cable.

The only thing I'm unhappy with is the race time :evil: It's not American-friendly that unless you're on the East Coast, almost every race is supposed to either start too early or too late. In order to better market F1 in the US, Bernie has to work!

Edited by Yolandy, 08 May 2011 - 23:39.

#3 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 23:32

I read on another forum that FOM restricts picture-in-picture commercials similar to Indy Car, where you still see the race in the corner. Does anyone know about this?

I can tell you that it's not restricted, with 100% confidence.

#4 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,934 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 23:34

Texas is coming. Good thread idea too.

#5 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,658 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 23:36

I used to watch TSN and record SPEED and quite liked their coverage but the commercials just **** me to tears, common for US networks.

#6 smitten

smitten

• 4,982 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 23:40

I like the Speed pictures better than BBC, though not so sure this year since I haven't watched BBC HD on TV.

Do you mean the quality of the broadcast or the direction? I thought all broadcasters took the same world feed so had the same visuals from a few minutes before the off 'til the end.

#7 zold

zold

• 308 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 23:44

What does will buxton do? For some reason i follow him on twitter but he seems like a knob (not a hard thing to do on twitter mind you)
and why does speed feel the need to put its own graphics over fom's? As a bbc viewer it seems like a no brainer.

#8 boomer1

boomer1

• 70 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 23:58

I love Speed's commentary team but they seem out of sorts this year. At their best, it's like watching F1 with a bunch of funny, knowledgeable guys in your living room, but they often lose the thread and are starting to make an increasing number of obviously incorrect statements. Will seems to be getting more toolish by the race and the gap between the realities of today's F1 and Steve Matchett's experience as an F1 mechanic is really starting to show itself.

But even given all that, I prefer watching them to finding the BBC broadcast through other means. You may miss out on some things but it's a more enjoyable experience overall.

#9 stevewf1

stevewf1

• 3,259 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 00:11

I'm OK with SPEED's coverage, but I have to be since it's the only thing I get here in Indy. I'd rather not have all those commercials of course, but if it pays the bills and keeps them on the air...

I would like to see SPEED calm down on the graphics. I'm sure there's a way to gracefully show data while leaving as much actual picture as possible.

I've always liked Varsha and Hobbs. Matchett I think is getting better. He doesn't ramble on as much but someone needs to take his telestrator away. Will Buxton needs to calm down a bit, but he's a lot better than Windsor.

IMO. :)

#10 nosaj100

nosaj100

• 1,030 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 00:18

I've got no problem with Speed's F1 coverage. There were times I'd watch F1 through the magic of the internet, but I never thought the broadcasts overseas were that much better than Speed. Plus, its a heck of a lot easier to set the DVR for the races that are 3am my time than stay up and watch a feed that gets dropped halfway through. You guys are right about the graphics though. It needs to be trimmed up a bit.

#11 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 00:31

I've watched SPEED's coverage for several years now. I really like the commentators a lot and feel that they're pretty much the best we're going to get after Brundle and Coulthard. Hobbs is a silly old man who usually makes light of driver misfortunes and so forth. Steve Matchett, while his 1990s knowledge is starting to fail on occasion, he's still pretty insightful at times and the RPM segments are somewhat interesting. Bob Varsha is fantastic as a lead commentator. He just strikes me as a guy who really likes F1 and enjoys commentating, he's very likable. I usually feel a little sad when Leigh Diffey is standing in when Bob is away sick or covering the car auctions.

I'm not too crazy over Will Buxton, but I actually prefer him over Ted Kravitz who just comes across as being TOO LOUD ON TELEVISION. Will is less knowledgeable, but he is easier on the ears at least.

Edited by UPRC, 09 May 2011 - 00:31.

#12 T-Mobile

T-Mobile

• 665 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 00:32

I should update the OP, because as has been pointed out there are indeed a lot of things that Speed does well. Just this year they started streaming FP1 and FP3 live on the internet, since the only air FP2 on TV. That was excellent and I am very pleased. I should have also indicated that I do indeed like Bob Varsha and David Hobbs, although I think Hobbs seems out of sorts at times.

As for FOM and picture-in-picture commercials, there is a thread at speedtv.com but I didn't sort through it all, but it was definitely a discussion. I'll try and find out what's going on. However, while searching I did find that Bob Varsha and Will Buxton participate in the forums, and at least appear to be looking for fan input. I'd participate there as well, but being primarily an F1 fan there is more discussion over here.

I've watched SPEED's coverage for several years now. I really like the commentators a lot and feel that they're pretty much the best we're going to get after Brundle and Coulthard. Hobbs is a silly old man who usually makes light of driver misfortunes and so forth. Steve Matchett, while his 1990s knowledge is starting to fail on occasion, he's still pretty insightful at times and the RPM segments are somewhat interesting. Bob Varsha is fantastic as a lead commentator. He just strikes me as a guy who really likes F1 and enjoys commentating, he's very likable. I usually feel a little sad when Leigh Diffey is standing in when Bob is away sick or covering the car auctions.

I'm not too crazy over Will Buxton, but I actually prefer him over Ted Kravitz who just comes across as being TOO LOUD ON TELEVISION. Will is less knowledgeable, but he is easier on the ears at least.

I agree about Bob Varsha. His enthusiasm for the race carries over to me, especially at the start when he says something like "Turn up your volume! The Grand Prix of Canada starts now!"

Edited by T-Mobile, 09 May 2011 - 00:34.

#13 paulogman

paulogman

• 2,642 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 01:14

we have to remember that they are not at the race. they are in a studio commentating on the feed from FOM. they get no extra data too assist them in understanding how the race is unfolding.
I think they use the live timing from f1.com as a source of laptimes but beyond that they are just guessing.
it would be interesting of they could be at the track with full access during the weekend.

#14 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 01:32

I am quite comfortable with Bob Varsha, actually between BBC and Speed, I think that he is the only sane person there IMO. I am not so crazy about rest of them.

#15 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 04:10

we have to remember that they are not at the race. they are in a studio commentating on the feed from FOM. they get no extra data too assist them in understanding how the race is unfolding.
I think they use the live timing from f1.com as a source of laptimes but beyond that they are just guessing.
it would be interesting of they could be at the track with full access during the weekend.

That's right. Considering where they are and what they have access to, I think they do a fantastic job with what they have.

#16 fastlegs

fastlegs

• 1,984 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 04:44

I read on another forum that FOM restricts picture-in-picture commercials similar to Indy Car, where you still see the race in the corner. Does anyone know about this?

TSN shows "picture-in-picture commercials" during the race feed from BBC.

#17 flyer121

flyer121

• 4,570 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 10:18

Just out of curiosity - Do guys in the US who have watched BBC find the Scottish accent of DC and to a lesser extent the English accent of MB to be a problem at all.

I ask because there was an issue with Cheryl Cole getting diction classes when she was up for a job of American Idol judge..

#18 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 10:30

Just out of curiosity - Do guys in the US who have watched BBC find the Scottish accent of DC and to a lesser extent the English accent of MB to be a problem at all.

I ask because there was an issue with Cheryl Cole getting diction classes when she was up for a job of American Idol judge..

That's just punishment for being selected as an American Idol judge.
You really shouldn't watch that ****, btw...

As an Aussie ex-pat with Scottish parents living in the States. no problem at all.

As much as i like Varscha and Hobbs, I will never watch Speed's coverage.
I will forego HD visuals for the BBC's FP1, FP2, FP3, Qualifying and race commentary, with no commercials, via a stream on the PS3.

Edited by gm914, 09 May 2011 - 10:32.

#19 Bunchies

Bunchies

• 1,501 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 10:30

The issue is when an educated fan can out-analyze the Speed team with the same tools.

Advertisement

#20 Bunchies

Bunchies

• 1,501 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 10:31

Not at all.

#21 Option1

Option1

• 14,892 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:13

I"ve said for years that they should be at the track. However, for being in the studio, they do a great job.

Ditto to what others have said on there being too many commercials.

Neil

#22 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 13:03

In the States we are having a new "British Invasion" on TV. For some unknown reason most of the cable news organizations have hired Brits in the last year. Don't really know why that is.

Back on Topic - I think the 3 amigos do a good job but I actually kind of tune out the announcers during the race. I think Will Buxton brings nothing to the party.

#23 Barky

Barky

• 67 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 14:11

As an American living in the UK, I'd take Varsha, Machett, and Hobbs over Brundle and Coulthard any day. More entertaining and a little more level-headed. They don't have a problem sitting back and letting the pictures speak for themselves, whereas the BBC crew seem to be hyperventilating the whole race (at least Legard got the boot).

Now, if Speed didn't have commercials and let you watch every session online the week after...

#24 Barky

Barky

• 67 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 14:13

The issue is when an educated fan can out-analyze the Speed team with the same tools.

Educated fans can out-analyze the BBC team as well.

#25 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,658 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 15:10

I have no issue with commercials per se but SPEED has always had a problem with way, way too many of them. It's a phenominal amount of ads, never seen anything like it other than the AMC channel which has the NASTY habit of running very few ads for the first hour of a movie then ABSOLUTELY BOM****ingBARDING you with ads in the last hour.

Pricks.

#26 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,165 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 15:12

There's quite a difference in intelligence between your average American Idol viewer and your average F1 viewer, I suspect.

#27 Andy865

Andy865

• 2,447 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 15:26

There's quite a difference in intelligence between your average American Idol viewer and your average F1 viewer, I suspect.

Not to mention Cheryl Cole.

#28 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 15:28

If you are a displaced British race fan, Speed TV is great. Otherwise, you quickly tire of the Hamilton, Button, McLaren bias (in that order). The difference of course is that we can go over to the website and tell um off American style and there is lots of support for more neutral commentating. It is getting to be time for complaining once more so that they can chill on that front - last round was quite poor with their statements bordering on lies in order to pump Hamilton, and Will Buxton giving us the pre race McLaren low down as if that was the only team we cared about - better stated - as if we cared about that team at all.

Too many commercials for sure and unlike our major sports, the play doesn't stop while they go to commercial breaks. They are way better on the replays this year in terms of allowing us to see the missed action, so that is good. They are "on time" now too, so kudos for that. And a huge congrats to them for getting the 1st and 3rd practice to us via 'sights and sounds' on the website - that is very cool to watch. I LOVE no commentating and just hearing the drivers and crew, cars and others - sweet stuff.

I am used to getting up early to watch, so no complaints there. That was the nice bit about living in Europe. But getting up early in the USA with coffee and bleary eyes has its own kind of charm. Besides, the first few races are awesome for the West coasters. Prime time TV.

Edited by bourbon, 09 May 2011 - 15:29.

#29 flyer121

flyer121

• 4,570 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 15:34

That's just punishment for being selected as an American Idol judge.
You really shouldn't watch that ****, btw...

As an Aussie ex-pat with Scottish parents living in the States. no problem at all.

As much as i like Varscha and Hobbs, I will never watch Speed's coverage.
I will forego HD visuals for the BBC's FP1, FP2, FP3, Qualifying and race commentary, with no commercials, via a stream on the PS3.

I dont even watch the British Idols leave alone the American ones..
I just found it amusing when I read somewhere that Cheryl Cole had to take speaking lessons ( quite humiliating if you ask me )

#30 McLarenforever

McLarenforever

• 70 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 15:45

Here is what I do...

I have the F1 race on Speed playing on the TV and the BBC feed on the Laptop. When speed goes to commerical, I mute the TV and un-mute the laptop giving me 100% of the action.

Also I like to watch the F1 Forum on the BBC feed after the race since the Speed Race coverage after the race is non existent.

Also I feel the HD is improved but no where close to the HD quality picture one receives when I watch American football or any other sport now covered in the US.

#31 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 15:48

I've never had a problem with English/Scottish accents at all. May be because there are a good number of English people living in Atlantic Canada. I don't know, it's the same language and everything so it shouldn't be very hard for anyone I would imagine.

Edited by UPRC, 09 May 2011 - 15:50.

#32 Louis Mr. F1

Louis Mr. F1

• 3,495 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 16:19

I use Speed for their pre-race show & recap (a week later), but for the race & qualifying coverage, I stick with BBC & Martin Brundle.

btw - we have picture in picture commercials so at least we are not missing any action here in Canada.

Edited by Louis Mr. F1, 09 May 2011 - 16:22.

#33 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 17:03

Does SPEED have feedback capability? If so tell them what you think. It doesn;'t they do have a feedback mode. The race yesterday was re-broadcast at 10AM when the newspaper said 1:30PM. Luckily I turned on the TV just in time by accident; it was only of the best races in a LONG time.

They rarely do repeat showing of practice and qualifying. I rather sleep in once and awhile.

#34 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 17:03

Does SPEED have feedback capability? If so tell them what you think. Unfortunately it doesn't they have a feedback mode. The race yesterday was re-broadcast at 10AM when the newspaper said 1:30PM. Luckily I turned on the TV just in time by accident; it was only of the best races in a LONG time.

They rarely do repeat showing of practice and qualifying. I rather sleep in once and awhile.

SPEED is way too Nasty Car oriented.

Edited by David M. Kane, 09 May 2011 - 17:05.

#35 Scudetto

Scudetto

• 8,226 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 17:17

The Speed crew utilizes the live FOM world feed, highlight/video playback feed, timing & scoring feed, iPhone F1 app video, and a real-time statistics program as the basis for their commentary.

#36 biercemountain

biercemountain

• 1,014 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 17:22

Will Buxton seems to know most everyone in the paddock and gets pre-race interviews with all the major players. I think he does a good job.

What's really entertaining are the Speed commentators calling a GP2 race. They're a lot more laid back and quite funny sometimes.

Edited by biercemountain, 09 May 2011 - 17:22.

#37 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 17:26

I love the commentating team but the commercials are way too common. Haven't really noticed the overlay to be a problem.

#38 Palmero

Palmero

• 296 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 17:30

I'm not dramatically opposed to the commentary on speed, in fact I think its not bad at all.

However the commercials are far far too frequent and long for me, therefore I watch F1 on speed as a last resort, plus the BBC coverage for this year is IMO the best F1 coverage ever, so its hard to pass up.

#39 Bunchies

Bunchies

• 1,501 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 17:56

Educated fans can out-analyze the BBC team as well.

Yes but the Speed team holds the audience's hand. They rehash the same rules over and over. They are catering to possible newcomers every race.

Advertisement

#40 Scudetto

Scudetto

• 8,226 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 19:14

Yes but the Speed team holds the audience's hand. They rehash the same rules over and over. They are catering to possible newcomers every race.

It is not an unreasonable approach to tailor commentary with an toward less savvy, new-to-F1 viewers. Besides which, the Speed crew, particularly Matchett, delves into a rule explanation in order to give some event context. It's done rather deftly, in my opinion: being informative for newcomer without making F1 veterans feel like they are being spoken down to.

#41 CONOSUR

CONOSUR

• 10,647 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 19:16

As an American living in the UK, I'd take Varsha, Machett, and Hobbs over Brundle and Coulthard any day. More entertaining and a little more level-headed. They don't have a problem sitting back and letting the pictures speak for themselves, whereas the BBC crew seem to be hyperventilating the whole race (at least Legard got the boot).

Now, if Speed didn't have commercials and let you watch every session online the week after...

The hyper-ventilating comment fits Leigh Diffey to a T, when he sits-in for Varsha. The guy would be a great radio announcer, but for TV, he's just too much.

:cool:

#42 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,658 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 19:32

Diffy shits me to tears, always has even when i was in oz and he commentated on tourers.

#43 Barky

Barky

• 67 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 19:44

The hyper-ventilating comment fits Leigh Diffey to a T, when he sits-in for Varsha. The guy would be a great radio announcer, but for TV, he's just too much.

:cool:

Yes, true. I always hate watching Speed and finding that Varsha is gone...

#44 Obster

Obster

• 195 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 19:56

Rarely watch the coverage live anymore-record it and zap thru the commercials. Tho, in turkey there was a LOT of action during the Speed coverage commercials.
The commentators are fine with me. The new graphic of race position-strung across the bottom of the picture with 3 letter driver idents...well, I can' read it as it is too small.
Man, you really have to pay attention with all the pitstops now...that has got to be a challenge for the speed commentators.

#45 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,658 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 20:09

What about qualifying? They get another 30 minutes out of it by SLAMMING it with ads. idiots.

#46 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 20:11

Yes, true. I always hate watching Speed and finding that Varsha is gone...

Varsha just posted thanks for well wishes on the SPEED board. Troubling is that he also posted this:

"In all seriousness, my issue is in fact a big one, but we're working on the treatment and I hope to be back in the chair for Spain."

Get well Bob!

#47 T-Mobile

T-Mobile

• 665 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 20:30

Varsha just posted thanks for well wishes on the SPEED board. Troubling is that he also posted this:

"In all seriousness, my issue is in fact a big one, but we're working on the treatment and I hope to be back in the chair for Spain."

Get well Bob!

Wow, definitely sad to hear that. Hopefully he makes it through as he is a big asset to SPEED. While I did post to initially complain, Bob is a big reason for my enjoyment of F1 on Speed. He is also rather good at commenting on the auctions (however I don't watch these all that often).

Get well Bob! We look forward to seeing you back!

---

On another note, I completely forgot to mention races that are tape delayed by FOX. Throughout the season, 4 races are typically aired on FOX rather that SPEED, but using the SPEED crew. The only race of those 4 that isn't tape delayed is Canada, I believe. Really sucks that Silverstone gets delayed. While some people don't mind it, I prefer watching live even if it means getting up in the middle of the night. Then again those races are usually in Europe and wouldn't have too unreasonable of a start time.

#48 Barky

Barky

• 67 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 20:45

Oh, is he sick or something? I'm in the UK so I haven't been watching SPEED. Hope he has a quick recovery if so.

#49 Xpat

Xpat

• 17,658 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 20:56

Cheryl Cole speaks? Who cares? :love:

I like Hobbes and Varsha. Specially when Hobbes is all crotchety.

I also like DC and MB.

Just different styles.

#50 loki

loki

• 12,038 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 21:25

I can tell you that it's not restricted, with 100% confidence.

Bob Varsha stated in an interview with the Austin Statesman that the contract with FOM specifically prohibits the practice.

http://www.statesman..._formula_austin

Is there a reason Speed doesn’t do split screen or banner ads during commercials? Can you speak to that?

It’s not something that Formula One, which controls our broadcast rights, or the sponsors were terribly excited about. I guess that’s the best way to put it.

Our contract — and this is another one of the myths of Formula One television that I think a lot of folks are not aware of — is everybody in the world uses the same feed. Some folks think those are Speed cameras bringing Formula One into their homes; they’re not. It’s a world feed that every broadcaster in the world uses by contact, and we are bound by contract not to manipulate that feed in too many distinct ways.

We put our own graphics on it, we put some replays and that sort of thing. But we are typically not supposed to do anything from the time the cars line up on the grid until the podium ceremony is over. So the idea of side-by-side action during commercial breaks is not something that Formula One is allowing us to do.