Photo

NASCAR's Cup Circus in Kansas this weekend (Nationwide in Chicago)

• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#1 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 14:40

There's also a Truck race, the Trucks are in Kansas with the Cup cars. So expect to see Shrub and Harv in trucks.

http://www.nascar.com/races/tune_in/

jayski:

http://jayski.com/ne...tory?id=6142712

For you Europeans, it's a watchable race.

#42-Juan Pablo Montoya: Crew Chief Brian Pattie and the No. 42 Target team are bringing chassis #1105 to Kansas Speedway this weekend. This chassis has been used twice in 2011 at Texas and Darlington with finishes of 13th and 23rd respectively.

Advertisement

#2 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,677 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 17:20

At 19:00 CET? Not bad, not bad :)

#3 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:21

There will be some live press conferences streamed from NASCAR.com today.

#4 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 17:14

Garage cam! http://www.nascar.co...ebcast/generic/

Submit your requests by logging in to twitter/Fb

#5 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 00:18

So it turns out JPM and Jamie Mac were sandbagging during practice on purpose so as to have an earlier qualifying run, since it's expected to get hotter as qualifying proceeds.

#6 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,151 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 08:22

hey all, I'm at a show until Monday so I'll be checking here for updates.

www.driveraverages.com for past form.

#7 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,258 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 08:46

hey all, I'm at a show until Monday so.....

A 'show' Crafty?
What kinda show?
Do tell...
Jp

#8 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,151 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 09:21

A 'show' Crafty?
What kinda show?
Do tell...
Jp

nothing from your line of work JP. I'm at a hot rod show near northampton, take a look at www.nsra.org.uk for billing fun run.
Will be down at beaulieu in the new forest in a couple of weeks time for the south coast internationals and then hertfordshire at the end of July for the nsra supernationals. There are a few other events through the year too.

When I go for a walk around I'll grab a pic or two.

#9 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,151 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 13:32

crappy cellphone pics but gives you an idea
Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Crafty, 04 June 2011 - 14:54.

#10 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 16:32

awesome, reminds me of some of my toys from childhood :D

#11 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,258 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 18:06

We'll Crafty those "crappy" cell pix look great on my I-touch !
Looks like loads a fun.

OLB hit the sand bag routine right on the head.
Wish Ganassi had as much strategic savvy at the 500 last week but I digress.
Jp

#12 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,151 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 18:12

lots more pics of hotrods and btcc stuff on my Flickr www.flickr.com/hotrods

#13 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 18:33

JPM outside front row, not bad.

Truck race on now, PK Jr started 4th I think but dropping back.

Hornaday loses a LR and goes for a spin and crash. Good. He's a dirty driver IMO.

#14 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,151 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 18:56

where did Jamie end up ?

#15 Guest_4L3X_*

Guest_4L3X_*

Posted 04 June 2011 - 19:15

Piquet spins

#16 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 19:52

where did Jamie end up ?

6th I think.

Piquet is hanging tough in the top 10 as the laps wind down.

#17 Guest_4L3X_*

Guest_4L3X_*

Posted 04 June 2011 - 20:22

20th after the spin, running 8th now. Good.

#18 Dispenser89

Dispenser89

• 3,460 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 20:25

Bowyer gets his home win. Good finish for PK after his dramas.

#19 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 20:35

Bowyer gets his home win. Good finish for PK after his dramas.

:up:

Advertisement

#20 Guest_4L3X_*

Guest_4L3X_*

Posted 04 June 2011 - 20:38

Cool race. I wonder if Montoya will drop down too much after the early laps. Hopefully not.

#21 Giannazzo

Giannazzo

• 37 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 21:37

Cool race. I wonder if Montoya will drop down too much after the early laps. Hopefully not.

I think he will drop back, he's been a little inconsistent lately. Roush Fenway Fords should pick up the pace in race conditions. Kyle could be a "surprise" :)

Here's my little preview of the race and a bunch of news about Danica, the return of Trevor Bayne and Stewart/Edwards debate about Ford "superiority". It is written in italian, hope you enjoy it anyway :-)

http://motorsportran...oni-dal-kansas/

Edited by Giannazzo, 04 June 2011 - 21:41.

#22 Guest_4L3X_*

Guest_4L3X_*

Posted 04 June 2011 - 23:06

Yeah, hope it's not by MUCH!

Happy Piquet Jr. finished ahead of Cole Whitt and Austin Dillon...Too much hype for them (okay, they're on top of the leaderboards), I think. I don't like them already.

#23 shotcaller

shotcaller

• 296 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 23:39

Looks like Kyle is in the middle of it again:

http://www.sbnation....ltercation-2011

Edited by shotcaller, 05 June 2011 - 00:19.

#24 nosaj100

nosaj100

• 1,030 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 00:32

Looks like Kyle is in the middle of it again:

http://www.sbnation....ltercation-2011

I missed the race. Was the "battling" that bad and did Kyle just outright spin Coulter on the cool down or was it just a tap? I would say that its pretty bad for a car owner to behave in such away, but I know the type of people where Childress is from and this behavior is par for the course (I'm from the same general area so I'm use to it :p ) I'd also hope that Childress would remember he owes much of his racing success from a driver that made a habit of hitting people on cool down laps and outright wrecking people as well.

Edited by nosaj100, 05 June 2011 - 00:33.

#25 shotcaller

shotcaller

• 296 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 00:52

I missed the race. Was the "battling" that bad and did Kyle just outright spin Coulter on the cool down or was it just a tap? I would say that its pretty bad for a car owner to behave in such away, but I know the type of people where Childress is from and this behavior is par for the course (I'm from the same general area so I'm use to it :p ) I'd also hope that Childress would remember he owes much of his racing success from a driver that made a habit of hitting people on cool down laps and outright wrecking people as well.

Regular type of battle in the closing laps. Coulter got position on Busch and slid up the track in front of him to take the spot. Didn't seem like a big deal, but Kyle did have to slow his momentum since he was on the top of the track. It was just a tap in cool down.

#26 ktsayshi

ktsayshi

• 1,094 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 01:01

Looks as if I missed the good stuff today. It's a busy weekend around here and getting busier tomorrow morning, but I hope to be around by a few laps into the Cup race. Meanwhile, time to hit YouTube for clips of the NNS finish....

#27 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 01:21

enjoying how the nationwide cars look on track :)

#28 Dispenser89

Dispenser89

• 3,460 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 01:22

Nationwide's just over halfway through......

#29 loki

loki

• 12,301 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 02:11

Reports are starting to trickle in. According to some accounts Busch made some derogatory comments on the radio and RC went to Kyle's hauler, took his watch off, handed it to Austin Dillon, punched Kyle in the face, it was broken up, more unpleasantries exchanged and RC got Kyle in a head lock and punched him two more times in the face before they were separated. RC is usually not that aggressive so I'd have to wonder what was said to make him have a go a Kyle like that.

#30 Dispenser89

Dispenser89

• 3,460 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 02:30

Man, close finish in the NNS. Fuel races are pretty good. :D

#31 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 02:33

The on track action was actually really great, really clean, no contact.

The door slam at the end, without radio context, looked to me like it was just as likely to be a "you done good, kid" as a "watch yourself" message.

He did slide up in front of Busch and KyBu did a good job to not wreck, but HELLO it's the LAST LAP.

In my mind, a non-driver going after a driver physically after a race is a no go. I don't care if you're 65 or 25.

Driver vs driver is fine, but anyone who's been in a 134 degree oven driving his butt off for 2 hours is going to be at a disadvantage. Not fair play.

#32 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 02:36

Man, close finish in the NNS. Fuel races are pretty good. :D

I missed it. But wow, lots of great stories..p1&2 ran out of gas and coasted across the finish line, Trevor bayne 3rd, Danica 10th.

#33 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 02:51

yep that was cool :D
aprently theres arca on soon? some ama/daytona bike thing, with some deep south dude in hte commentary box is rather odd for me xD

#34 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 02:54

Yeah that AMA commentator with a DEEP Florida accent is a bit annoying.

#35 Dispenser89

Dispenser89

• 3,460 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 03:00

I missed it. But wow, lots of great stories..p1&2 ran out of gas and coasted across the finish line, Trevor bayne 3rd, Danica 10th.

Yeah, great comeback for Bayne. Thought he won it for a moment. Driver of the race by a long shot. Pretty good result for Danica too. Didn't quite have the car to move up the order significantly, but came it going solidly throughout the race and a top 10 finish is a nice bonus.

Edited by Dispenser89, 05 June 2011 - 03:00.

#36 loki

loki

• 12,301 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 03:00

The on track action was actually really great, really clean, no contact.

The door slam at the end, without radio context, looked to me like it was just as likely to be a "you done good, kid" as a "watch yourself" message.

He did slide up in front of Busch and KyBu did a good job to not wreck, but HELLO it's the LAST LAP.

In my mind, a non-driver going after a driver physically after a race is a no go. I don't care if you're 65 or 25.

Driver vs driver is fine, but anyone who's been in a 134 degree oven driving his butt off for 2 hours is going to be at a disadvantage. Not fair play.

According to Marty Smith at ESPN Childress and Busch have had issues where he thinks Busch was deliberately tearing up Childress equipment. It was said that Childress told him that if he didn't knock it off he was going to personally see to it that he did stop. Looks like once again RC kept his word.

#37 Slyder

Slyder

• 5,453 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 03:09

Yeah that AMA commentator with a DEEP Florida accent is a bit annoying.

You guys are probably talking about Scott Russell, AKA Mr. Daytona. 5 time winner of the 200 race and former AMA Superbike champion.

His very slurred and accented speech is an aftereffect of his terrible accident at Daytona in 2001 when he stalled and was hit at full speed by another rider. HE suffered severe head injuries that ended his motorcycle career.

I honestly prefer Freddie Spencer over Scott. Not to be rude or anything and I'm very sorry for what happened to him, but he just sounds weird on the TV. But at least he has the knowledge so...

Edited by Slyder, 05 June 2011 - 03:09.

#38 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 03:49

he seemed fine knowledgewise for me, just sounds so redneck xD, not used to that for bikes, more used to strong northan island accent xD

#39 nosaj100

nosaj100

• 1,030 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 04:34

Wow...what a strange finish for the NNS. I was pretty bored with the race overall but the end at least made it interesting. I can't recall the last time I have seen something like that in which both guys run out and its a race to see who can coast the furthest.

As for the Busch incident, if it really went down on track like you guys said, I see no reason for Childress to be that upset. Kyle must have tossed a family insult his way or something. If Childress went off for just the on track situation, then I've lost a ton of respect for him. There's got to be more to it. Hopefully someone releases all the details

Edited by nosaj100, 05 June 2011 - 04:44.

Advertisement

#40 Slyder

Slyder

• 5,453 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 04:41

Apparently, Childress had told Kyle that he'd better stay away from RCR cars because if he'd wreck another one, he was going to take matters into his own hands and make sure he'd got the message.

So, apparently yeah, he was true to his word.

#41 nosaj100

nosaj100

• 1,030 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 04:50

Richard Childress' grandson, Ty Dillon, just won the ARCA race. A few weeks ago, Ty won a race by wrecking Frank Kimmel with 10 laps to go. I wonder if Childress put his grandson in a headlock afterwards to teach him a lesson about dirty driving?

Edited by nosaj100, 05 June 2011 - 04:53.

#42 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,275 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 06:35

You guys are probably talking about Scott Russell, AKA Mr. Daytona. 5 time winner of the 200 race and former AMA Superbike champion.

His very slurred and accented speech is an aftereffect of his terrible accident at Daytona in 2001 when he stalled and was hit at full speed by another rider. HE suffered severe head injuries that ended his motorcycle career.

I honestly prefer Freddie Spencer over Scott. Not to be rude or anything and I'm very sorry for what happened to him, but he just sounds weird on the TV. But at least he has the knowledge so...

Huh? Scott Russell is from Georgia and sounded like that accent wise long before any accident. He always had a pronounced drawl.

#43 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 11:39

According to Marty Smith at ESPN Childress and Busch have had issues where he thinks Busch was deliberately tearing up Childress equipment. It was said that Childress told him that if he didn't knock it off he was going to personally see to it that he did stop. Looks like once again RC kept his word.

Interesting. I didn't see the damage to the Childress truck, Kyle was on the outside and the camera angle was from the infield. But it really did look like just a swipe like you might see a teammate give another teammate after a hard race, like just to give them a donut on the door or something.

I mean, I get that Mr. Childress is a badass and if it was a movie, I'd cheer and laugh that the aged hero silently removed his watch for his grandson to hold and beat up the young punk and showed him a lesson.

But this is real life, the driver has just spent ~2 hrs wringing the neck of a balky car in 100+ degree conditions, and you're going to beat him up?

I think I actually read on here that drivers must always be protected after a race because they are very vulnerable.

#44 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 12:44

Interesting. I didn't see the damage to the Childress truck, Kyle was on the outside and the camera angle was from the infield. But it really did look like just a swipe like you might see a teammate give another teammate after a hard race, like just to give them a donut on the door or something.
I mean, I get that Mr. Childress is a badass and if it was a movie, I'd cheer and laugh that the aged hero silently removed his watch for his grandson to hold and beat up the young punk and showed him a lesson.
But this is real life, the driver has just spent ~2 hrs wringing the neck of a balky car in 100+ degree conditions, and you're going to beat him up?
I think I actually read on here that drivers must always be protected after a race because they are very vulnerable.

From what I understand, and knowing Kyle's history, believe, Kyle was warned by Childress to knock it off. Regardless of whether it was a love tap from Kyle, it still caved in the side of a perfectly good truck. Childress has to pay for that, not Kyle, and it ain't cheap. In addition, I've also heard that Kyle gave Childress quite a bit of lip on the radio, and in the pits after the race. Kyle's truck was crap, and losing a spot for fifth doesn't give you the right to mess someone's ride up.
I see in my tea leaves a rude awakening fairly soon for Kyle, and if I'm not mistaken, it will come from Gibbs, not NASCAR, not another competitor, and not another team owner.
Gibbs has a sterling reputation in life and in NASCAR racing, and if he can't rein in Kyle and Kyle doesn't see it's not just his reputation he's putting in the shitter, he'll dump his ass.

Edited by whitewaterMkII, 05 June 2011 - 12:45.

#45 Giannazzo

Giannazzo

• 37 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 13:38

Yeah, hope it's not by MUCH!

Hope it too! The Ganassi team seems to have lost the pace they had at beginning of the season and Juan didn't help with his tempers.

I saw the nationwide finish: AWESOME :-)

Regarding the post-race fight, Coulter declared they got together during the last lap when he got tight while being underneath Busch.

I'm abusing a bit of your patience to let you know I made an interview with Marcos Ambrose (in english) and one with Max Papis (in italian) you can read here:

http://motorsportran...torsport-rants/

and here:

http://motorsportran...vostre-domande/

#46 Slyder

Slyder

• 5,453 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 14:39

Huh? Scott Russell is from Georgia and sounded like that accent wise long before any accident. He always had a pronounced drawl.

Well, the reason I assumed that is mainly because he sounds way too robotic, with his accent making things worse. So I figured that his robotic way of speaking was more or less attributed to his accident.

#47 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 16:47

Hope it too! The Ganassi team seems to have lost the pace they had at beginning of the season and Juan didn't help with his tempers.

I saw the nationwide finish: AWESOME :-)

Regarding the post-race fight, Coulter declared they got together during the last lap when he got tight while being underneath Busch.

I'm abusing a bit of your patience to let you know I made an interview with Marcos Ambrose (in english) and one with Max Papis (in italian) you can read here:

http://motorsportran...torsport-rants/

and here:

http://motorsportran...vostre-domande/

You interviewed those guys?

wwMk2 understood.

#48 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 16:55

Right now ESPN's home page has a misleading teaser "Kyle Busch cleared in Childress altercation" - as if there was any doubt that he did anything wrong.

The page with the article itself makes more sense--"Richard Childress faces discipline."

Sounds like NASCAR has the right idea on this. They were strongly considering ejecting Childress from the track for the rest of the weekend but severely restricted his movement instead (he's not allowed on pit road.)

I just think that, as I said before, as cool as it is if it's in a movie or something, handling things by fighting is just not the right thing.

Send your drivers in Trucks out to wear out Kyle Busch on track with the ol' chrome horn--that's in the spirit of "have at it, boys."

#49 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 16:59

Pit stall selections:

http://jayski.com/st...kan2011pits.htm

The 42 has an opening in front so should have no problem pulling out. The 30 car is pitting behind him and the 30 is the Inception Motorsports Chevy driven my David Stremme. Not sure if it's a start and park but Montoya will likely be ahead of the 30 on track so they should have no excuses for losing time on pit road.

#50 Giannazzo

Giannazzo

• 37 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 17:00

You interviewed those guys?

Yes :-)

Unfortunately I'm in Italy so I had to make the interviews via e-mail. They were both very kind :-)