Photo

Should FOTA/TEAMS boycott Bahrain GP 2011?

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

Poll: Should FOTA/TEAMS boycott Bahrain GP?? (346 member(s) have cast votes)

Should FOTA/Teams/Sponsors boycott Bahrain GP??

1. Yes- humanity grounds/Greedy Bernie/Logistics! (256 votes [73.99%])

Percentage of vote: 73.99%

2. Yes- F1 employees deserve their scheduled 'November' holiday with family! (38 votes [10.98%])

Percentage of vote: 10.98%

3. No- F1 season will be better with Bahrain Race!! (52 votes [15.03%])

Percentage of vote: 15.03%

Can teams be forced to race by the FIA?

1. Yes- teams have no say! (99 votes [28.61%])

Percentage of vote: 28.61%

2. No- teams can decide not to race on various grounds! (247 votes [71.39%])

Percentage of vote: 71.39%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#151 R2D2

R2D2

• 780 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 16:57

As to hands, I m sure you are referring to that article by the telegraph? No clue

The Telegraph and lots of other sites ran the first WMSC story that indicated Stefano was present because he's Ferrari's representative on the WMSC (just like Todt used to be). In this follow-up story the Telegraph and other sites are persisting with this for some reason. The FIA web site does not appear to agree with them about the make-up of the WMSC, but, really, would it surprise anyone?

Advertisement

#152 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 17:25

I say yes, but I couldn't pick any of the options in the poll as a reason - so I didn't vote. It is funny how that often seems to be the case on a BB. That is why it is always best to have a Yes and No "other" option. :D

Edited by bourbon, 06 June 2011 - 17:26.

#153 wrighty

wrighty

• 3,794 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:12

wait....what??

#154 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:15

wait....what??

LOL. You couldn't make this stuff up. :stoned:

#155 wrighty

wrighty

• 3,794 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:18

ok let's go with this a second.......let's just say that the plan goes ahead and Bahrain is reshuffled to the season finale, then we (through an increasingly unlikely twist of fate) end up with a championship that goes to said final race.....and then it all kicks off in Bahrain.....then what? cancel the last race? press ahead despite the running battles between the Saudi army and the protesters outside the gate?

or plan C, which involves burying your head in the copious amounts of local sand and counting the money?

Bernie.....no, just no. Shut up. Stop thinking F1 is really that important. No.

#156 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:31

Bernie was lobbying everybody in Monaco to reinstate Bahrain and now he isn't so sure? This is verging on farcical

#157 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,456 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:42

wait....what??

Ruh roh!

#158 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:43

F1 is a sport that is more reliant on sponsors than many others, and it has many more sponsors required for each race than other sports. I suspect that public pressure on certain sponsors is beginning to filter up to Bernie. Certainly Red Bull are a little worried about it, and unlike some others, they have chosen not to remove al the spam from their facebook pages from the angry public. The BBC reports that Mercedes, Renault and Pirelli are all uneasy about the amount of negative publicity could be generated, and if you weigh this up against the 'benefit' of an extra race that nobody within the sport really wants, it becomes a no brainer.

Almost any of the large sponsors have the ability to show up the sport by choosing to boycott the race, and of course Pirelli have the ability to cencel the race alone. Just imagine what a farce it would become if four teams chose not to travel to Bahrain, (Mercedes, Renault and Red Bull x2.)

As I mentioned earlier or elsewhere, there is no benefit to anybody in F1 for this race to happen, apart from for Bernie and the royal family of Bahrain. THere is so much opposition and drawback within the sport that it is almost certain that it shall be cancelled.

#159 SimMaker

SimMaker

• 771 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:55

One susspects Bernies apparant U-turn is due to as yet unseen by us events.

My geuss, is that he has heard from teams, sponsors and broadcasters, and they have let it be known that all kinds of **** will hit the fan if the race goes ahead as currently planned. And they must have been pretty forceful about it or some other info came to light, as this is a pretty dramatic volte-face.

Advertisement

#160 R2D2

R2D2

• 780 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 12:23

And they must have been pretty forceful about it or some other info came to light, as this is a pretty dramatic volte-face.

Mosley is pointing out that a change to the calendar requires unanimous support from the teams, although I can't find the regulations about that. I certainly don't think using force majeure would wash with the teams.

Edited by R2D2, 07 June 2011 - 12:23.

#161 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 12:27

What's going to happen if the Championship closes up and the running of this race or not proves highly controversial from THAT point of view?

#162 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 12:28

Mosley is pointing out that a change to the calendar requires unanimous support from the teams, although I can't find the regulations about that. I certainly don't think using force majeure would wash with the teams.

It is not in the F1 Sporting Regulations, it is part of the International Sporting Code.
I am not going to argue with Mosley's interpretation but suffice to say the relevant clause is not explicit.

66. Amendments to Supplementary Regulations
No amendments shall be made to the Supplementary
Regulations after the beginning of the period for receiving entries,
unless unanimous agreement is given by all competitors already
entered, or by decision of the stewards of the meeting for reasons
of force majeure or safety (see Article 141).

Edited by Dunder, 07 June 2011 - 12:33.

#163 wrighty

wrighty

• 3,794 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 12:29

i think that's because it's a Concorde Agreement-based commercial decision and therefore you'll not find the current version written anywhere. The WMSC decision to reinstate the race is covered by the regulations but in effect any decision change made 'on the hoof' has to have unanimous backing or be on the basis of safety which allows the FIA to over-rule a Concorde-based team vote.

#164 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,171 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 14:39

FOTA requests delay to Bahrain return

#165 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 15:45

Mr. Mosley likes (favourable) headlines. He knows the rules, he let us know he knows the rules, and that's fine, but so does Mr. Todt, and that's what counts at the end. No need for kibicing from sidelines.

#166 R2D2

R2D2

• 780 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 16:02

Imagine a bizarre world where FOTA employ Mosley to help them against the FIA. :rotfl: [Oh dear, I think the thought of it has just made me ill.]

#167 Hairpin

Hairpin

• 4,468 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 22:45

FOTA requests delay to Bahrain return

If they don't want to do it maybe they should not have voted "yes" to reinstate the GP.... What clowns.