Photo

Should FOTA/TEAMS boycott Bahrain GP 2011?

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

Poll: Should FOTA/TEAMS boycott Bahrain GP?? (346 member(s) have cast votes)

Should FOTA/Teams/Sponsors boycott Bahrain GP??

1. Yes- humanity grounds/Greedy Bernie/Logistics! (256 votes [73.99%])

Percentage of vote: 73.99%

2. Yes- F1 employees deserve their scheduled 'November' holiday with family! (38 votes [10.98%])

Percentage of vote: 10.98%

3. No- F1 season will be better with Bahrain Race!! (52 votes [15.03%])

Percentage of vote: 15.03%

Can teams be forced to race by the FIA?

1. Yes- teams have no say! (99 votes [28.61%])

Percentage of vote: 28.61%

2. No- teams can decide not to race on various grounds! (247 votes [71.39%])

Percentage of vote: 71.39%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Nivra

Nivra

• 1,065 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 11:02

FIA reinstates Bahrain Grand Prix -
http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/91955

Team to 'discuss' Bahrain decision- Teams may boycott race-
http://planetf1.com/...ace-In-Bahrain-

Failing The Fans And India
http://planetf1.com/...-Fans-And-India

Webber critical of Bahrain decision
http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/91981

'Red Bull has been singled out by protestors, with almost 400,000 signing an online petition already'
http://en.espnf1.com...html?CMP=chrome

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“On the one hand, Formula One isn’t respecting human rights, but on the other, it’s a good chance for people to express how they feel on television worldwide,” Mohamed Al- Maskati, head of the Bahrain Youth Society for Human Rights, told Bloomberg.
http://www.jamesalle...ain-gp-back-on/

Media reports suggest that unrest continues to be rife in Bahrain – even while the FIA meeting was taking place in Paris....
F1 will face worldwide condemnation for putting its own (financially driven) agenda ahead of ongoing abuse of human rights....
If the Grand Prix takes place, protests are guaranteed. F1 could end up with blood on its hands....
http://www.motorspor...on-time-to-act/

Mosley warns Bahrain decision could haunt F1
(good explanation of difference between Bahrain compared to other countries)

No F1 in brutal Bahrain- 403,828 have signed since yesterday the RED BULL petition
http://www.avaaz.org...tal_bahrain/?fp

Is the FIA right to reinstate the Bahrain GP at this time?
Yes 7.93% (270 votes)
No 92.07% (3,136 votes)
http://www.jamesalle...ain-gp-back-on/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally, I don't get it!
-A scheduled race has missed the boat because of internal problems in that country.
-F1 moved on and had some terrific races so far this season, with all going as planned.
-Then Bernie decides that Bahrain must return.... in place of Indian GP!
-This p!$$es a lot of Fans who were preparing for that event, not even counting backlash on humanitarian grounds.

Edited by Nivra, 05 June 2011 - 02:23.

Advertisement

#2 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 11:06

No. What they should do is all turn up, qualify and everything the same and then do an Indy. I.e. all of them pull in after the first lap. That way they fufill thier contractual duties and not be liable for Bernies ridiculous charges, and still get a chance to show their dismay of the decision, and embarass the royal family.

It'll never happen, but this is what I would like to see happen.

I think that your poll needs more options.

#3 sawyer_si

sawyer_si

• 347 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 11:08

Indian GP wil still take place, it will even be the final race...

#4 Wi000

Wi000

• 1,163 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 11:15

No if it's safe they should race.

Teams can't be made to race but if some boycott they'll have to face the (financial) consequences.

About the Indian GP I'm not so sure but maybe the organisers aren't to sad with a bit of extra time to get everything in order.

#5 stevewf1

stevewf1

• 3,259 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 11:15

Well, everyone has to do what the boss says I guess, but if any team or team members genuinely believe that they may be in danger visiting that country then they should be allowed to stay home.

#6 Nivra

Nivra

• 1,065 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 11:17

Indian GP wil still take place, it will even be the final race...

But that's the point Brawn & co. were making to Bernie... Logistically it's not that easy to pull off.

Plus, there still may be a huge issue where Team Employees may themselves may skip the Bahrain race.... or the Indian race citing personal & family issues.

Thousands of employees of the 10-11 teams had a schedule to work with... with all of their holidays being charted out in the beginning of the season by Team bosses. What bernie wants to do technically tramples on Family time for all the employees in F1. He may be greedy for money... what to these guys gain by racing in a stupid race which got cancelled in the first place.

#7 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 32,997 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 11:18

No. What they should do is all turn up, qualify and everything the same and then do an Indy. I.e. all of them pull in after the first lap. That way they fufill thier contractual duties and not be liable for Bernies ridiculous charges, and still get a chance to show their dismay of the decision, and embarass the royal family.

I think that your poll needs more options.

HRT, not being in FOTA will prob race to the finish.

#8 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,551 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 11:38

HRT, not being in FOTA will prob race to the finish.

So will many other teams really. After all there is still money up, I'm sure Williams or Virgin or someone else will be happy to get the win and the prize money that comes with it. And of course teams will still be fighting for constructors championship positions, a few extra million in the budget will easily convince a team to race.

#9 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 32,997 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 11:47

So will many other teams really. After all there is still money up, I'm sure Williams or Virgin or someone else will be happy to get the win and the prize money that comes with it. And of course teams will still be fighting for constructors championship positions, a few extra million in the budget will easily convince a team to race.

Similarly, I might say I won't watch the race on ethics grounds, but I know I will still watch it anyways.

#10 Wi000

Wi000

• 1,163 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 11:47

Mclaren will race too they are part owned by the sovereign wealth fund of Bahrain controlled by the Al Khalifa family.

#11 Touti

Touti

• 341 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 11:58

No. What they should do is all turn up, qualify and everything the same and then do an Indy. I.e. all of them pull in after the first lap.

And face the consequences of breaking the "Don't bring the sport into disrespute" rule. If I remember correctly Indy was different, the teams were stupidly required by the FIA to run one lap because Mosley couldn't see the difference between common sense and his freakin' rule book.

#12 santori

santori

• 4,108 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 11:58

Yes. Williams said that they wouldn't have gone to Bahrain when it was originally due to be held, but only said so after it had been cancelled. I'm interested to see what they'll do.

#13 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,934 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 12:08

I would hope they can persuade a different decision before actually staging a boycott. A threat of such might help.

1 - It is reasonable to consider it a safety risk.

2 - It will damage the image of the sport.

No other reasoning is applicable, or legally consistent.

#14 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 32,997 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 12:11

I has to be said though, why stop at Bahrain. Why not boycott all races where there is a dictatorial regime in place ?

That would also rule out

- Abu Dhabi
- China
- Monaco ? :D

#15 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 12:15

The line has to be drawn somewhere. It would be quite possible to ethically judge the US and UK not to be up to standard either.

But many other people have argued better than me about why Bahrain is different than the other countries.

#16 JimmyStew

JimmyStew

• 51 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 12:18

Well done, Mark Webber. A man among boys.

#17 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 12:21

In my opinion it's unlikely FOTA will flat out boycott Bahrain. Bahrain does after all own 30% of McLaren, I can't see Whitmarsh staging war against his shareholders.

#18 Nivra

Nivra

• 1,065 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 12:29

I has to be said though, why stop at Bahrain. Why not boycott all races where there is a dictatorial regime in place ?

That would also rule out

- Abu Dhabi
- China
- Monaco ? :D

The issue here is bigger, but simpler than that. As you & I can recall.... the race got cancelled in the beginning of the year, or Bahrain could not meet it's expectations to provide ample security etc etc to hold the race on it's scheduled date.. hence it got cancelled.

The same cannot be said about
-Abu Dhabi
-China
-Monaco!!

Now, the issue isn't if F1 should go to Bahrain... it's more like why the hell should the Teams & it's over-worked employees give up their own holidays with their families just to make some Bahraini King & Bernie happy!!!

They aren't going to gain anything out of it, except a few more weeks of hard work & time away from their respective family, friends or time to themselves. I can't imagine you giving up your holidays for somebody else.... without any apparent reason at all. Especially if you have planned your holiday with your kids & family!

What will happen if employees refuse to turn up for the India GP... citing personal reasons! Surely, they have the rights... or legal right to refuse working 'extra weeks', since they were given a proper schedule & dates to work with!

This situation created by Bernie is purely selfish & the story isn't over yet.... :down:

PS- Even if they do agree to race, I can't imagine the employees being very cheerful about it in the end. Hence, Bernie gains- everyone else loses.... as usual!

Edited by Nivra, 04 June 2011 - 12:34.

#19 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 32,997 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 12:30

Well done, Mark Webber. A man among boys.

You might want to give some context to your post. It's fairly meaningly as is.

Advertisement

#20 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 12:32

Mclaren will race too they are part owned by the sovereign wealth fund of Bahrain controlled by the Al Khalifa family.

It's not a controlling interest. And if they aren't happy they can sell their shares to someone else.

#21 Wi000

Wi000

• 1,163 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 12:38

What will happen if employees refuse to turn up for the India GP... citing personal reasons! Surely, they have the rights... or legal right to refuse working 'extra weeks', since they were given a proper schedule & dates to work with! This situation created by Bernie has lots more to come for sure.... :down:

Then they'll be told to take a hike because for every man and woman in a team there are 10 willing to take his or her place.

Yes it could spoil a holiday or 2 but haven't many of us had to cancel a holiday or days off because of work?

#22 Touti

Touti

• 341 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 12:43

The issue here is bigger, but simpler than that. As you & I can recall.... the race got cancelled in the beginning of the year, or Bahrain could not meet it's expectations to provide ample security etc etc to hold the race on it's scheduled date.. hence it got cancelled.

The same cannot be said about
-Abu Dhabi
-China
-Monaco!!

I don't think it was ever officially cancelled.

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/89604

Formula 1's ruling body, the FIA, says it fully supports Bahrain's decision to withdraw the opening race of the 2011 season.

The governing body also hinted at a possible rescheduling of the Bahrain Grand Prix by saying it supported the decision to "postpone" the event.

Edited by Touti, 04 June 2011 - 12:43.

#23 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,921 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 12:50

I think that the poll here is getting to the point of this issue - which is that, money aside, this has provided the FIA/FOM with an excellent opportunity to remind FOTA of who is in charge, sadly.

#24 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 12:50

I think there better not be Bahrain GP simply and solely because of safety ground.

Bring humanity to table and GPs at all NATO countries should be boycotted too, which is absurd.

#25 faaaz

faaaz

• 1,870 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 12:54

"When people in a country are being hurt, the issues are bigger than sport. Let's hope the right decision is made.." -Mark Webber (Twitter account)

#26 Nivra

Nivra

• 1,065 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 13:01

Teams meet to discuss Bahrain decision

"Bernie Ecclestone and the FIA might be faced with a rebellion by several Formula One teams in the aftermath of the decision to rearrange the Bahrain Grand Prix for the end of October.".... Formula One Teams Association (FOTA), said that "a detailed joint position" would follow talks which are due to take place when the F1 roadshow reaches Canada next week.

"Red Bull has been singled out by protestors, with almost 400,000 signing an online petition started earlier this week aimed at persuading to oppose the race going ahead. "Red Bull will only act if enough of us join together to make clear that its brand, its very reputation, is on the line," the site message said.

It is believed Mercedes and Renault have reservations, but others could follow if it becomes clear their sponsors are attracting negative publicity as a result.

"Caught in the crossfire is McLaren in which Mumtalakat Holding, the Bahrain royal family's investment group, has a substantial holding. However, its other sponsors such as Vodafone, are likely to come under pressure in the coming weeks, as are drivers Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button"

-------------------------------------------

Great. Looks like Bernie & FIA are in for a tough time going against 'Millions of F1 Fans' around the globe. Teams are, for the first time ever, going to come under serious Fan Pressure to 'Man up' a bit and show some steel again this autocratic decisions made by one greedy hobbit :mad:

May the petitions continue at Mclaren, Ferrari & Mercedes, along with RBR who's already being bombarded by fans in their official website :clap:

Edited by Nivra, 04 June 2011 - 13:17.

#27 Wi000

Wi000

• 1,163 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 13:06

It's not a controlling interest. And if they aren't happy they can sell their shares to someone else.

While that's true I don't think Mclaren with the transition of the Mercedes shares going on and starting up it's Automotive division will be happy to piss off a major shareholder or so to say kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.
I can't see them voting for a FOTA boycott which I should add is not a bad thing imo.

#28 Nivra

Nivra

• 1,065 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 13:15

"When people in a country are being hurt, the issues are bigger than sport. Let's hope the right decision is made.." -Mark Webber (Twitter account)

The only reason Ferrari aren't out with a protest is coz these same Bahrani guys buy their Cars. The same goes for Mclaren who has one Bahrani dude money as it's sponsor! What sissy's!

If Ferrari and Mclaren don't stand by their majority fans perception & decide to go to Bahrain by over-ruling Mercedes, RBR, Renault & others in the FOTA meeting.... then I can't help but think they'll get a lot of negative feelings/hate from their fans (with common sense)!!

It'll also tell us that FOTA is nothing but a name.... and Ferarri/Mclaren are puppets to bernie!! :down:

PS- Hoping they'd boycott for sure!

#29 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 13:19

While that's true I don't think Mclaren with the transition of the Mercedes shares going on and starting up it's Automotive division will be happy to piss off a major shareholder or so to say kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.
I can't see them voting for a FOTA boycott which I should add is not a bad thing imo.

They sold the shares, they cashed the check. The Bahraini's don't get to micromanage McLaren.

#30 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 13:21

As of June 2nd, this is the UK Foreign Office travel advice for Bahrain. Up to that date they were advising against all but essential journeys.

We advise British nationals in Bahrain to maintain a high level of security awareness and to exercise caution, particularly in public places and on the roads, and avoid large crowds and demonstrations. The airport remains open and transiting through the airport is unaffected by this advice.

Our assessment remains that travel on the main routes on the island during daylight hours is orderly and has now returned to normal levels. Police checkpoints remain but have been reduced around the main highways. You should exercise caution in particular on any routes you use to get to these main routes, and consider carefully the situation in your local vicinity.

We have had no recently confirmed reports of serious security incidents, but the risk of outbreaks of violence is ongoing and the security situation remains uncertain.

The Government of Bahrain has imposed a curfew on the waterways around Bahrain between 18:00 and 04:00. You are strongly advised to respect the curfew.

Admittedly F1 tends to live in its own little bubble, but if I was a team principal I'd be seriously concerned about asking my employees to travel to a country which had that level of warnings in place, especially considering how much heritage the sport doesn't have there. And yes - I know you could make a similar argument against Brazil.

#31 Victor

Victor

• 1,006 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 13:21

Webber on the Barhain GP:
"In my personal opinion, the sport should have taken a much firmer stance earlier this year rather than constantly delaying its decision in hope of being able to re-schedule it in 2011. It would have sent a very clear message about F1's position on something as fundamental as human rights and how it deals with moral issues. It's obvious that the parties involved have struggled to reach a decision but sadly I feel that they still haven't made the right one. Like it or not, F1 and sport in general isn't above having a social responsibility and conscience. I hope F1 is able to return to Bahrain eventually but now isn't the right time.

"As a competitor I do not feel at all comfortable going there to compete in an event when, despite reassurances to the contrary, it seems inevitable that it will cause more tension for the people of that country. I don't understand why my sport wishes to place itself in a position to be a catalyst for that."

At last, someone with a conscience and an opinion!

#32 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 13:22

Then they'll be told to take a hike because for every man and woman in a team there are 10 willing to take his or her place.

Yes it could spoil a holiday or 2 but haven't many of us had to cancel a holiday or days off because of work?

I rememeber either MW, Horner or Brawn at Monaco stating that an important member of his team has scheduled his wedding on the weekend where the Indian GP is now to be held, so that is hardly the same thing as postponing a holiday, is it ?

I imagine that Bernie has actually severely under estimated just how many of the team personnel will have booked holidays and things for that weekend. Think about it, it is the first time in nine months that the staff can have some proper time off, and Bernie has forced ALL of the F1 staff to change their plans. The more I think about this the more I realise this is an own goal for Bernie. He has managed to piss off almost everyone who works in the sport, and a large percentage of the fans, and put a lot of worry in a lot of sponsors' minds, all for what ? The gain is actually very minimal really, and the sheer amount of negative feeling he will create will easily overcome any of the benefits that he might get. I'm really not sure that this decision will stand for more than a few weeks.

Edited by Tsarwash, 04 June 2011 - 13:22.

#33 Nivra

Nivra

• 1,065 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 13:27

Webber speaks out on Bahrain - http://en.espnf1.com...tory/50674.html

Mark Webber has become the first driver to make a statement on the decision to reinstate the Bahrain Grand Prix. Webber issued a statement on his official website criticising the outcome.

"I do not feel at all comfortable going there to compete in an event".

"When people in a country are being hurt, the issues are bigger than sport. Let's hope the right decision is made."

"My opinion is unchanged since I was first asked about this in late February," Webber said. "Even though a decision has been made, I'll be highly surprised if the Bahrain Grand Prix goes ahead this year.

"In my personal opinion, the sport should have taken a much firmer stance earlier this year rather than constantly delaying its decision in hope of being able to re-schedule it in 2011. It would have sent a very clear message about F1's position on something as fundamental as human rights and how it deals with moral issues. It's obvious that the parties involved have struggled to reach a decision but sadly I feel that they still haven't made the right one. Like it or not, F1 and sport in general isn't above having a social responsibility and conscience. I hope F1 is able to return to Bahrain eventually but now isn't the right time.

"As a competitor I do not feel at all comfortable going there to compete in an event when, despite reassurances to the contrary, it seems inevitable that it will cause more tension for the people of that country. I don't understand why my sport wishes to place itself in a position to be a catalyst for that."

:up: :up:

#34 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 13:27

As of June 2nd, this is the UK Foreign Office travel advice for Bahrain. Up to that date they were advising against all but essential journeys.

Admittedly F1 tends to live in its own little bubble, but if I was a team principal I'd be seriously concerned about asking my employees to travel to a country which had that level of warnings in place, especially considering how much heritage the sport doesn't have there. And yes - I know you could make a similar argument against Brazil.

I fear they may have been part of the problem. Bahrain declared Martial Law was lifted. Within a matter of hours the FCO lowered it's travel advisory. Those sorts of things impact the legal status with regards to insurance, force majeure, etc.

#35 Nivra

Nivra

• 1,065 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 13:30

Webber speaks out on Bahrain - http://en.espnf1.com...tory/50674.html

"It seems inevitable that it will cause more tension for the people of that country.
I don't understand why my sport wishes to place itself in a position to be a catalyst for that."

:up: :up:

This. :up: :up: :up:

Edited by Nivra, 04 June 2011 - 13:31.

#36 Supersleeper

Supersleeper

• 1,441 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 13:31

Me too.

On a side note, can anyone confirm if ticket holders who were killed earlier this year are entitled to a refund?

The WMSC are probably very interested in having the race reinstated, as it will be the only race of the season that will have the grandstands packed - well if you're going to be beaten to death, or shot for not attending, the numbers should be on the up.

Great decision by a group of people who once again prove that they are a bunch of moral bankrupts whom have no place in decent society.

#37 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 13:38

Yes, I realise that, Ross. But it's hardly a ringing endorsement, is it?

We have had no recently confirmed reports of serious security incidents, but the risk of outbreaks of violence is ongoing and the security situation remains uncertain.

That's the FCO covering their arses. In effect what they're saying is "The Bahrainis say they've lifted Martial Law but at the first sign of a problem it will be back. Travel there at your own risk - if you must - but don't blame us if it goes tits up." That's how insurers would probably read it anyway.

#38 wrighty

wrighty

• 3,794 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 13:38

I fear they may have been part of the problem. Bahrain declared Martial Law was lifted. Within a matter of hours the FCO lowered it's travel advisory. Those sorts of things impact the legal status with regards to insurance, force majeure, etc.

.....and that is the main reason i think the teams can be brought under pressure by their own employees with regard to this. Employers have a basic duty of care for their employees abroad (think about how we'd feel if our employer asked us to sign a disclaimer absolving them of responsibility if we were then injured or worse on foreign soil in their name.....not a likely prospect surely?) and i did hear an interviewee on the radio last night (the first 10 mins of Stephen Nolan's show on 5live if anyone wants to hear again) who said that one of the local political groups had declared a 'day of rage' for the day of the race! Employers have to think very seriously indeed whether they should be there with their employees - they're liable, contractually obligated by the FIA or not, and the FIA have been ludicrously naive in enforcing this when the local situation and the outlook are so unstable.

#39 Nivra

Nivra

• 1,065 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 13:43

Failing The Fans And India

The FIA's decision to reinstate the Bahrain GP into the 2011 schedule is reprehensible on many levels, not least for the position it places fans heading to the Indian GP.

.....for many F1 fans the chance to go to the inaugural Indian Grand Prix would have seemed priceless;

.....with the FIA making the ridiculous decision to move the Indian Grand Prix from its scheduled date of October 30. What was - and should be - an incredible event for India and indeed F1 as a whole now stands a potential nightmare.

.....FIA's blatant disregard for fans of the sport that have planned to attend the race is sickening. And it's not the only aspect of the decision that leaves one feeling ill.

.....The Brazilian racing federation too must be feeling terribly hard done by as they had looked set to host the final race of the season, a point which is certainly a money spinner for them.

.....The world of F1 is a crazy place but this decision is simply insane.

Julia Harris

http://planetf1.com/...-Fans-And-India

Advertisement

#40 chhatra

chhatra

• 2,710 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 13:51

Teams meet to discuss Bahrain decision

"Bernie Ecclestone and the FIA might be faced with a rebellion by several Formula One teams in the aftermath of the decision to rearrange the Bahrain Grand Prix for the end of October.".... Formula One Teams Association (FOTA), said that "a detailed joint position" would follow talks which are due to take place when the F1 roadshow reaches Canada next week.

"Red Bull has been singled out by protestors, with almost 400,000 signing an online petition started earlier this week aimed at persuading to oppose the race going ahead. "Red Bull will only act if enough of us join together to make clear that its brand, its very reputation, is on the line," the site message said.

It is believed Mercedes and Renault have reservations, but others could follow if it becomes clear their sponsors are attracting negative publicity as a result.

"Caught in the crossfire is McLaren in which Mumtalakat Holding, the Bahrain royal family's investment group, has a substantial holding. However, its other sponsors such as Vodafone, are likely to come under pressure in the coming weeks, as are drivers Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button"

-------------------------------------------

Great. Looks like Bernie & FIA are in for a tough time going against 'Millions of F1 Fans' around the globe. Teams are, for the first time ever, going to come under serious Fan Pressure to 'Man up' a bit and show some steel again this autocratic decisions made by one greedy hobbit :mad:

May the petitions continue at Mclaren, Ferrari & Mercedes, along with RBR who's already being bombarded by fans in their official website :clap:

You do realise it was also Jean Todt who visited the country and had say in the decision to race there. The Bahraini officials want to see a race there to show that they have the situation there under control and that things are returning back to normal.

For them to turn around and cancel the race completely would be a blow for the Kingdom as investors, corporations etc could lose faith and leave. The problem is bigger than sport, it's all about the money.

Follow the money.

#41 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 13:51

Looking at weather reports for Delhi, there also seems to be a significant risk of fog in December. I wonder if Bernie's aware of that little detail?

#42 chhatra

chhatra

• 2,710 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 13:53

Looking at weather reports for Delhi, there also seems to be a significant risk of fog in December. I wonder if Bernie's aware of that little detail?

I'm sure someone has made him aware of that, but they aren't going to make a decision based on a weather report 6 months prior to the race going ahead.

#43 BinaryDad

BinaryDad

• 1,017 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 14:02

The only, and I mean ONLY reason that an F1 race should not take place is on safety grounds. If the safety of F1 drivers and crew cannot be guaranteed, then the race shouldn't take place.

Sport and politics don't mix. It's crap that the people of Bahrain have such a raw deal, but boycotting the race for that, would not change the situation. If anything, it would force the government to crack down on protesters even more than they are now. I'm afraid that the people of Bahrain cannot count on the West to help them in any way or form...it's entirely on their own shoulders to get rid of the ruling elite.

#44 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 14:02

I'm sure someone has made him aware of that, but they aren't going to make a decision based on a weather report 6 months prior to the race going ahead.

I believe one of the reasons the Indian race was originally scheduled for October was to avoid the meteorological extremes, the hottest months being April to September and the coolest December and January.

#45 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 14:03

You do realise it was also Jean Todt who visited the country and had say in the decision to race there. The Bahraini officials want to see a race there to show that they have the situation there under control and that things are returning back to normal.

For them to turn around and cancel the race completely would be a blow for the Kingdom as investors, corporations etc could lose faith and leave. The problem is bigger than sport, it's all about the money.

Follow the money.

Which is precisely the reason it was dumb to go all out to accommodate Bahrain. They could have easily postponed the problem to next year, when realistically the whole situation stood a better chance of getting defused instead of sticking the thing now and basically forcing F1 to make a statement.

#46 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 14:05

The only, and I mean ONLY reason that an F1 race should not take place is on safety grounds. If the safety of F1 drivers and crew and spectators cannot be guaranteed, then the race shouldn't take place.

:)

#47 Alx09

Alx09

• 1,283 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 14:12

http://www.avaaz.org...rain/?slideshow

400,000 signatures and growing. Suck on that Bernie.

:up: Webber

Time to take a stand for the teams, corporations, money and greed is not more important than human rights.

Edited by Alx09, 04 June 2011 - 14:18.

#48 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 14:15

The only reason Ferrari aren't out with a protest is coz these same Bahrani guys buy their Cars. The same goes for Mclaren who has one Bahrani dude money as it's sponsor! What sissy's!

If Ferrari and Mclaren don't stand by their majority fans perception & decide to go to Bahrain by over-ruling Mercedes, RBR, Renault & others in the FOTA meeting.... then I can't help but think they'll get a lot of negative feelings/hate from their fans (with common sense)!!

It'll also tell us that FOTA is nothing but a name.... and Ferarri/Mclaren are puppets to bernie!! :down:

PS- Hoping they'd boycott for sure!

Well, for example companies like Kraft are allowed to sell their products in Iran for the reason that these are daily merchandises that are necessary for people's daily life, while companies of "allied" countries self-impose sanction and cannot or do not sell their products in Iran.

http://news.antiwar....ations-trivial/

also some other interesting reads
http://edition.press...ail/120099.html
http://news.antiwar....rly-documented/

Excuse me but Panasonic, Toyota etc sell daily products (only) too. I want them to do businesses in Iran, Bahrain or wherever, which is nothing wrong morally. Honesty never pays off!

#49 schuey100

schuey100

• 655 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 14:18

It all seems like a lot of bother over nothing. Will the teams and drivers be safe? If so then they must race. Teams and drivers can't decide on an ad-hoc basis as to which races they will and won't compete in. There are human rights issues with many countries that host F1 races. Be it China or perhaps some teams might take issue with even the UK! What about America? This is a country that openly tortures innocent people and keeps them locked up all in the name of 'war against terror'. It is a country so barbaric that it kills it's own citizens under the pretence of justice. Now you may not agree with me but many in the pitlane would, so should teams be allowed to choose if they race in the US if it comes back on the calendar?

If the teams and drivers are safe then they should race.

#50 KateLM

KateLM

• 2,342 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 14:29

He was aware that he has been scheduling the Malaysian GP to coincide with rainstorms too but it doesn't seem to bother him.