Speed Trap Data - Sources?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 handel

handel

• 445 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 20:20

'Allo all.

So, the forum & Internet in general is full of various theories on each of the teams and if they've gone for wet setups, compromised etc - seemingly without any kind of foundation or evidence apart from the cars over/underperforming in comparison with expectations.

Engineers will know better than I, but I imagine that setting a car up for wet conditions involves a number of tweaks which we can't judge such as suspension damping, etc. However the one big thing which would change noticeably as a result of downforce levels & gearing would be ultimate top-speed. We have baseline data from FPs so what is the best/most frequently updated source of speed trap data?

Advertisement

#2 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 20:42

'Allo all.

So, the forum & Internet in general is full of various theories on each of the teams and if they've gone for wet setups, compromised etc - seemingly without any kind of foundation or evidence apart from the cars over/underperforming in comparison with expectations.

Engineers will know better than I, but I imagine that setting a car up for wet conditions involves a number of tweaks which we can't judge such as suspension damping, etc. However the one big thing which would change noticeably as a result of downforce levels & gearing would be ultimate top-speed. We have baseline data from FPs so what is the best/most frequently updated source of speed trap data?

The FIA website is usually what i use, heres stuff from this weekend.

http://fia.com/en-GB...ges/timing.aspx

and the main page.

http://fia.com/en-GB.../home_page.aspx

#3 handel

handel

• 445 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 20:56

Thanks! For some reason I never thought to even look at the FIA website. My bad.

Interesting results. Quite hard to pick out clear strategies but shocking to see Macca down there with HRT on speed traps. For all the talk of Merc vs Cosworth power...

I still think they might have gone for a more rain orientated setup, but perhaps in more subtle ways than just downforce levels alone.

#4 joshb

joshb

• 3,387 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 21:25

But of course the speed trap isn't neccessarily the highest speed the cars achieve, as they tend to be 100m or more before the braking zone.
If the speed traps covered an area including the braking zone, they could find the hihgest speed in that zone and put that as the ST speed.

#5 HPT

HPT

• 2,102 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 05:49

Thanks! For some reason I never thought to even look at the FIA website. My bad.

Interesting results. Quite hard to pick out clear strategies but shocking to see Macca down there with HRT on speed traps. For all the talk of Merc vs Cosworth power...

I still think they might have gone for a more rain orientated setup, but perhaps in more subtle ways than just downforce levels alone.

I've read that McLaren's ARW isn't as effective as the others so that could be a reason why they're slow on the straights.