• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#51 Repco von Brabham

Repco von Brabham

• 694 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 18:36

Official map of the Circuit, designed by Hermann Tilke in 2010
He call "Atlantic F1 Street Circuit"

the city Major mister Pulti talks this morning, and said "contract will signed the 22 April, in Paris"

Posted Image

Advertisement

#52 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 18:58

Lokks odd and interesting... I think I like it. Hopefully it'll be safe.
Now will it simply add to the calendar or should we expect some other circuit to be dropped? Spa? Valencia?

#53 Otaku

Otaku

• 1,715 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 19:11

Now will it simply add to the calendar or should we expect some other circuit to be dropped? Spa? Valencia?

Yes please :up:

#54 freya

freya

• 1,585 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 19:14

That looks awesome.

#55 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,548 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 19:15

I'll still believe it when I see it.

Bernie is the one who will announce any race contract, at the moment it's just the proposal of the month.

Edited by Fastcake, 16 March 2012 - 19:23.

#56 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 19:15

that looks better than the previous offerings

im so bored of medium speed race tracks :|

#57 sock22

sock22

• 408 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 19:16

Definitely designed by Tilke, almost all of the corners are either hairpins or chicanes. Interesting shape though, looks like it will be clockwise and is that red building the pit area? Could be a bit cramped

#58 Otaku

Otaku

• 1,715 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 19:45

Definitely designed by Tilke, almost all of the corners are either hairpins or chicanes. Interesting shape though, looks like it will be clockwise and is that red building the pit area? Could be a bit cramped

Counter clockwise.

#59 Giz

Giz

• 734 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 20:18

Canada moved to South America

Advertisement

#60 DinocoBlue

DinocoBlue

• 944 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 20:26

Impressive looking enough I guess.

Could they build it in time though? I know November '13 is quite some time away but I don't think we need another S.Korea/India...

#61 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 21:18

It's definitely clockwise, check out the run offs. Street circuits can get away with hairpins and slow corners if they provide some atmosphere and nice races.

#62 Repco von Brabham

Repco von Brabham

• 694 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:14

Brazilian company in charge of organizing the F1 in Mar del Plata
The total cost of the test would be about $ 300 million, but would make millions. The competition would be to 2013 and generate a high economic impact.

Posted Image

Formula One is one of the most expensive shows worldwide, even more than that generated by the NBA, and so, following the announcement of Cristina Kirchner, who said the return of the category to Argentina, everything has become a genuine curiosity. It is estimated that hosting the F1 cost about $ 300 million, although that would include millions in profits.

While Enrique Meyer, Minister of Tourism, said the state would pay for "20 to 22 million dollars" for each of the three races, the newspaper reports that BAE would test a very affordable rent.

Furthermore, it is mentioned that Times For Fun, a Brazilian company, is responsible for organizing the grand prix race in Mar del Plata. As confirmed DyN, "would be paying the square for three years and part of the works necessary for the circuit, the resurfacing and widening of several possible avenues to be used as part of the circuit."

Link:
http://www.infobae.c...-del-Plata.html

Kind regards

#63 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,132 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:22

These circuits have already been "half-dropped".

#64 Les

Les

• 2,116 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:44

To me Valencia was stupid as they had a perfectly good circuit nearby but they went for a street circuit for political reasons. For racing reasons (what I care about) it is bloody useless. This seems to be exactly the case here as well. Argentina has two perfectly good circuits that surely could easily be adapted for F1 use. Instead the proposal is 'hairpin, chicane, hairpin, roundabout, hairpin, chicane etc' to me it looks hopeless!

I also agree with the person who said 'I'll believe it when I see it' though.

#65 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 4,975 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 14:50

Brazilian company in charge of organizing the F1 in Mar del Plata
The total cost of the test would be about $ 300 million, but would make millions. The competition would be to 2013 and generate a high economic impact.

[...]

Furthermore, it is mentioned that Times For Fun, a Brazilian company, is responsible for organizing the grand prix race in Mar del Plata. As confirmed DyN, "would be paying the square for three years and part of the works necessary for the circuit, the resurfacing and widening of several possible avenues to be used as part of the circuit."

[...]

T4F, interesting... they already have two street races on their portfolio: Stock car Brasil round of Salvador/BA and Ribeirão Preto/SP

Posted Image
Stock Car Brasil - Salvador/BA

Edit: Btw, Repco has forgotten to mention it here, but in Mar del Plata tobacco and alcohol advertisement is allowed. This alone makes things easier for F1.

Edited by highdownforce, 20 March 2012 - 21:33.

#66 Repco von Brabham

Repco von Brabham

• 694 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 17:31

In Miami (USA) was presented the F1 race in Mar del Plata

http://www.lacapital...3/19/212390.htm

Kind regards.,

:clap:

#67 August

August

• 3,277 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 20:14

Posted Image

IMO the corners are just too slow, except for the last corner. That seems to be downhill, so it looks somewhat similar to the downhill sweep from JFK Blvd at NJ. But, in a higher-res map, you can see the pit entry is after that sweep. I'm afraid it can be a dangerous place. I think the next straight would be a better place for pits. Also, according to Google Earth, the track has a height difference of 49 metres, and it's about 5.13 km long.

Height profile from Google Earth:

Posted Image

#68 britishtrident

britishtrident

• 1,954 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 22:21

With the current political situation between the UK and Argentina spiralling downhill towards a possible war I think the UK based teams might find the prospect ill timed.

#69 ezequiel

ezequiel

• 2,799 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 22:48

With the current political situation between the UK and Argentina spiralling downhill towards a possible war I think the UK based teams might find the prospect ill timed.

yes, and pigs can fly.

#70 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,548 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 22:56

yes, and pigs can fly.

A war is a far fetched possibility obviously, but given recent events of British flagged ships being turned away and threats of trade embargoes, that could completely sink the chance of a Grand Prix if the bulk of the teams, FOM and FIA technical staff will have trouble getting there.

Still if the Argentine government government is so keen to get a race, it may convince them to give up the ridiculous Falklands claim.

#71 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,984 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 23:56

Tin-foil hat time: Perhaps this is a ploy to get Ferrari to win at least one Grand Prix in the next couple of years, as the British teams will not be allowed in Argentina? :stoned:

#72 ezequiel

ezequiel

• 2,799 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 00:11

A war is a far fetched possibility obviously, but given recent events of British flagged ships being turned away and threats of trade embargoes, that could completely sink the chance of a Grand Prix if the bulk of the teams, FOM and FIA technical staff will have trouble getting there.

Still if the Argentine government government is so keen to get a race, it may convince them to give up the ridiculous Falklands claim.

I'm afraid this may not be the right place to discuss this. Just let me tell it's quite silly to think that a government is going to give up in a historical territorial claim due to the organization of a Formula 1 race. Argentina has hosted F1 several times in the past as well as several other international motor racing venues, many of them with British teams and drivers participating, and at the same time has kept on with the aformentioned territorial claims which, as I mentioned, are nothing new. And for the British flagged ships (err... I don't think the problem is with the British flag ships, it is with the Falkland flag ships), Brazil has gone ahead with similar restrictions backing up Argentina's politics in this matter and that's not problem with Brazil's F1 round. And, of course, the war hypothesis is ridiculous and does not resist a minimal rational well-informed analysis on the subject but, I repeat, this is definitely not the best place to start a discussion on this matter, hence I won't go deep on your statement about the supposedly ridiculous Falklands claim from Argentina.

Edited by ezequiel, 21 March 2012 - 00:14.

#73 marchi-91

marchi-91

• 440 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:06

It's a pity this isn't at http://en.wikipedia....s_Funes_Circuit

Such a beautiful track

#74 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,548 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:33

I'm afraid this may not be the right place to discuss this. Just let me tell it's quite silly to think that a government is going to give up in a historical territorial claim due to the organization of a Formula 1 race. Argentina has hosted F1 several times in the past as well as several other international motor racing venues, many of them with British teams and drivers participating, and at the same time has kept on with the aformentioned territorial claims which, as I mentioned, are nothing new. And for the British flagged ships (err... I don't think the problem is with the British flag ships, it is with the Falkland flag ships), Brazil has gone ahead with similar restrictions backing up Argentina's politics in this matter and that's not problem with Brazil's F1 round. And, of course, the war hypothesis is ridiculous and does not resist a minimal rational well-informed analysis on the subject but, I repeat, this is definitely not the best place to start a discussion on this matter, hence I won't go deep on your statement about the supposedly ridiculous Falklands claim from Argentina.

It is the wrong place to discuss anything political of course, but I was bringing up hypothetical problems in the same way as people did for the Korean or Bahrain races. I fear you completely missed my point when I brought up a trade embargo as a possibility, it's never happened in previous runnings of the event, but should it happen in the future it would make a race likely impossible to hold. It is important to think from every eventually, even if they look unlikely at present. And FYI, I was talking about the British cruise ships that got turned away several weeks back.

Oh and I was just using some light-hearted sarcasm on my last sentence. Obviously the Argentinian government are not going to drop this issue, but it would be nice if sport could solve such a thing wouldn't it?  ;)

#75 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:23

50meters is pretty huge elivation change :D

#76 August

August

• 3,277 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 16:04

http://www.lacapital...20319-0076.html

The governor of San Luis, Claudio Poggi, has sent a letter to the Argentine president Cristina Fernandez, saying the province would be willing to make the necessary investment, yet not told the amount of money.

I hope that would happen, and I don't think it's that more unlikely than the street circuit of Mar del Plata. Mar del Plata might be better for sponsors, but in Potrero de los Funes they'd already have the circuit, only the paddock should be built.

Btw, what have been spectator numbers in Potrero de los Funes's races like? I mean, if they can have enough spectators there, the distant location wouldn't be too bad.

Edited by August, 03 April 2012 - 16:08.

#77 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 4,975 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 16:38

That's interesting, San Luis has just lose their FIA GT round for this season.

#78 ezequiel

ezequiel

• 2,799 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 14:30

I would say there's zero chance for the F1 race in Argentina to go to San Luis (if it's hold next year). Everything is arranged for the race to be in Mar del Plata, the project first started like three or four years ago, Tilke's people have already designed the circuit and if Argentina's tourism minister Enrique Mayer is not lying, an agreement should be signed on May in Paris with the FIA for the 2013 Argentine Grand Prix.
Apart from that, I understand Potrero de los Funes is "in the middle of nowhere" so there's the problem of hotel capacity and other big touristic facilities.

#79 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 4,975 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 16:34

ezequiel, what happened with the FIA GT round?

Advertisement

#80 ezequiel

ezequiel

• 2,799 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 20:00

The weird thing is that there's no news about it on the Argentine media yet which really surprises me.

#81 rabbitleader

rabbitleader

• 1,746 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:07

What the hell is that?

A map of the Falkland Islands..... ;)

#82 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,414 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:45

AutoSprint reports the 3 year deal will be signed in May and take the place of the Korean GP. This will be a street circuit, but Tilke will be responsible for the layout. GP count will still be at 20 GP's for 2013.

Posted Image

http://www.auto.it/a...entina nel 2013!

Argentinian GP. Sorry for mis-spelling in the title.

Edited by CrucialXtreme, 05 April 2012 - 12:57.

#83 jmkaos

jmkaos

• 120 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:47

Replacing the Korean GP already? :confused:

Edited by jmkaos, 05 April 2012 - 12:47.

#84 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,414 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:53

Replacing the Korean GP already? :confused:

After last years Korean GP they said they had money issues. It seems they can no longer honor their financial obligations with Bernie.

#85 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 4,975 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 13:14

That's the news we've got already on the other thread, but this info about the Korean GP is new to me.
We better put it on the Korea thread.

By the way, great for Argentinians, Uruguayans and Brazilians.

Posted Image

#86 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 13:23

A track that is nothing but hairpin bends and low speed chicanes? Pass...

Edited by johnmhinds, 05 April 2012 - 13:23.

#87 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 4,975 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 13:24

Basically.
It looks like this today:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
(roundabout)

[ Panoramic view ]

Edited by highdownforce, 05 April 2012 - 13:30.

#88 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,138 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 13:24

Exactly what I was thinking.

#89 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,414 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 13:28

No that's not the actual track. If you read the article is says Tilke hasn't even designed it yet.

"Herman Tilke will be responsible for the design of the track which should include 18 curves and develop in good part in a naval base in the army."

#90 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,548 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 13:32

Basically.
It looks like this today http://static.panora...al/32912029.jpg

The track is meant to be placed there? A run-down dock with a few old ships tied alongside it? I hope there is accompanying plans of redevelopment for the area, it hardly looks like prime a Grand Prix territory. Almost a danger of becoming a Valencia.

I really don't like the number of hairpins there. One is sufficient, give us some more high speed corners.

#91 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,991 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 13:36

Almost a danger of becoming a Valencia.

Valencia looks like Spa compared to that street circuit that resembles a course designed for Manhattan.

#92 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 13:39

No that's not the actual track. If you read the article is says Tilke hasn't even designed it yet.

"Herman Tilke will be responsible for the design of the track which should include 18 curves and develop in good part in a naval base in the army."

So this is a previous design?
I'm pretty sure whatever Tilke is doing is in the same location anyway, there isn't any other "naval base" in the area.

Looks like it's in the ass end of nowhere from a quick scan on google maps, how the heck are they going to be able to afford a race.

IMO Bernie is just using the half assed attempt of an event to squeeze more money out of Korea.

#93 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,414 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 13:43

So this is a previous design?
I'm pretty sure whatever Tilke is doing is in the same location anyway, there isn't any other "naval base" in the area.

Looks like it's in the ass end of nowhere from a quick scan on google maps, how the heck are they going to be able to afford a race.

IMO Bernie is just using the half assed attempt of an event to squeeze more money out of Korea.

I think it's just AutoSprint's feeble attempt to put something together that resembles a track. They say 18 turns. Guess time will tell. And I totally agree that this could just be Bernie trying to get money out of Korea. Although they did say the current price was too high and they couldn't afford it. Makes no difference to me either way really, I like Korea. And I could possibly like Argentina. :)

#94 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 13:48

I think it's just AutoSprint's feeble attempt to put something together that resembles a track.

Looks far too detailed for that, they wouldn't go to the trouble of outlining buildings and stuff, it looks like it was taken from some planning documents.

#95 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,132 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 14:01

Today's Autosport attributes the loss to a change of local politicians.

#96 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 14:04

I'd love to see at least one more race in South America, but are Argentina really looking to spend money promoting themselves through F1 at the moment?

#97 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 14:15

Another image of the layout:
Posted Image

#98 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 14:21

That looks rather uninspiring. Another street track that could end up like Valencia? No thanks.

But the question that will be most important - how good will the hotel be? As long as that looks pretty the track can apparently be a dull wasteland.

#99 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 14:53

Looks like it has potential to be another Valencia............... great!

Advertisement

#100 ezequiel

ezequiel

• 2,799 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 15:25

Today's Autosport attributes the loss to a change of local politicians.

The new governor is from the same force than the previous one, so perhaps it would be "a change of local politics"