Photo

Don't Even Think About "Have At It, Boys"

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#51 genespleen

genespleen

• 408 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:04

I am not religious what so ever, but wtf did you just write? Where you psychologically scarred as a child? or what exactly are you trying to tell us with the second half of your post? :down:

Geez, mate. Seemed pretty clear to me....

Advertisement

#52 BRG

BRG

• 25,949 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 13:02

Lol, obviously you've never seen DC.

It must have been someone else pretending to be him then. :rolleyes:

If you ever see the guy without his shirt, he has abs where most people don't even have muscles.

#53 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,126 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 13:30

Imo all these driver feuds should be decided by rap battles. Let them have a go with each other but with mics and a good beat. I'm sure Bernie would be happy.

As hilarious as this sounds I don't think Di Resta, Raikkonen et al have the oration skills or quick witted humour to read a joke out loud let alone the improv skills required to rap at each other!

#54 rm111

rm111

• 406 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 14:01

It must have been someone else pretending to be him then. :rolleyes:

If you ever see the guy without his shirt, he has abs where most people don't even have muscles.

so did Bruce Lee, are you telling me he was built like a brick shithouse?

#55 Rich

Rich

• 18,302 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 14:09

so did Bruce Lee, are you telling me he was built like a brick shithouse?

I don't think Michael would have wanted to fight Bruce Lee either. :p

#56 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 2,541 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 15:37

Couple of interesting things on this thread.

Someone brought up Senna punching Irvine. Funny things is, that´s probably what he will be remembered for the most. "The guy that was punched by Senna".

I haven´t seen Spongebob without a shirt nor do I want to but wasn´t MS supposed to be one of the fittest drivers out there in his time? I think it would have been a good fight.

Regarding drivers being robots, nothing more telling about this than when Massa and Alonso were interviewed after HH 2010. Man that took self-control but, on the other hand, one of the funniest post-race conferences and journalist questions I have ever heard.

Tifosi4ever, funny story about art teacher and the whisky comment...

#57 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 15:49

I don't think Michael would have wanted to fight Bruce Lee either. :p

I would have paid good money to watch that!

#58 Rich

Rich

• 18,302 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 16:20

I don't think fitness is much of a factor in determining fights. Jeff Gordon is doubtless very fit, he still fights like a girl. Or, at least, he did when he took on Jeff Burton.

I think racing drivers are generally too small in stature to be convincing brawlers. For that, I'd look to rugby forwards. The most effective punch I've ever seen in a sports fight was in the 1980s. The Northern Transvaal Blue Bulls had a lock called Drikus Hattingh, a mean basta who switched to rugby after being banned from shot-putting for doping. There was a bit of argy-bargy around a loose scrum and Hattingh poleaxed his opponent with a single uppercut that wouldn't have looked out of place in a Mike Tyson showreel. If the punch had been thrown in the ring, the ref wouldn't have even bothered to count. It was one of those hits where you knew immediately that the victim wasn't going to be getting up anytime soon. The odd thing is that replays seemed to indicate that it was an Obelix-style upwards slap with an open hand. Lord knows what would have happened if he'd hit the bloke with a clenched fist.

Not that I approve of what Hattingh did. It's just as unacceptable on a rugby field as at a race track. Although I guess rugby players have the excuse that it's a contact sport where tempers will fray quite easily. Still, if you're going to resort to fighting against an opponent, at least be somewhat good at it. Not like these guys, heh. How humiliating is that? Not just that they lost control to the point of fighting in public like little kids, but that they somehow contrived to make teenage girls look macho by comparison. Why did the onlookers rush to intervene? They should have just let them continue. Based on what we saw, the chances of either actually landing a punch were effectively zero.

Edit: sorry, fixed the link now.

Edited by Rich, 08 April 2012 - 20:13.

#59 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,522 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 19:53

Obelix-style upwards slap with an open hand

:rotfl: Must read those books again.

Your link didn't work btw.

Advertisement

#60 Supersleeper

Supersleeper

• 1,441 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:47

is there actually fist fight in Nascar?

Well if you text Boris Said with Greg Biffles home address - you could start one...

Here's Boris after a bad day at Watkins Glen:
“He is the most unprofessional little scaredy cat I’ve ever seen in my life.  He wouldn’t even fight me like a man after. So if someone texts me his address, I’ll go see him Wednesday at his house and show him what he really needs.”

....though Boris and Greg have made up... apparently.

Yes - F1 is far too politically correct when it comes to drivers and their reactions just after getting out of a car.

#61 MattPete

MattPete

• 2,633 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 14:24

I watch F1 to see drivers pushing their cars to the limit and racing their backsides off...............I don't watch it to see drivers fight each other or disrespect each other off the race track. Some people in this thread really need to grow up. Watch boxing or WWE if you want to see punches and trash talk.

Amen. I've got no use for fisticuffs or dirty driving. I want racing, not WWE.

#62 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 14:42

I don't think the fans or the media can handle it.

Last year after Singapore people in this forum were shittting bricks after the mere pat Massa gave Hamilton on the shoulders. Can't imagine what would happen if he had punched him in the face an broke his nose. And the other way around...

#63 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 16:53

Imo all these driver feuds should be decided by rap battles. Let them have a go with each other but with mics and a good beat. I'm sure Bernie would be happy.

Good thing DJ Alguersuari is gone, he would win every time. It wouldn't be fair! :eek:

#64 mursuka80

mursuka80

• 5,106 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 17:25

Last year after Singapore people in this forum were shittting bricks after the mere pat Massa gave Hamilton on the shoulders. Can't imagine what would happen if he had punched him in the face an broke his nose. And the other way around...

I remember some users here demanding a assault charges for Felipe. :lol:

#65 g1n

g1n

• 894 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 17:48

I remember some users here demanding a assault charges for Felipe. :lol:

huh really? just goes to show that some people are just out of their depths in this world :rotfl: :wave:

#66 Sausage

Sausage

• 1,820 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 18:32

Yeah we don't have enough entertainment yet wich panders to the lowest common denominator. Also as previously shown most motorsports figures are/were already dicks, so do they really need the opportunity to expand on that?

As soon as a driver can't keep his hands to himself my opinion of him becomes extremely low, words are fine and gestures at times can be ok, but not further than that. A good overtake or action should be hooks for news, not a brawl wich out of context have nothing to do with any form of motorsport.

#67 Xpat

Xpat

• 17,722 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 19:26

There is a strong strain of drama queen that runs through these boards. :rotfl:

Posted Image

#68 blackonyx4

blackonyx4

• 1,284 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 21:27

Kyle Busch pissed at Jimmie Johnson

#69 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 22:04

Kyle Busch pissed at Jimmie Johnson

Well, there's the difference between NASCAR and F1, and hence the tempers that can and do flare up.
In NASCAR bullring racing, it is a contact sport...and there is serious blocking going on.
yet if you watch the action there on track, Kyle could easily have dumped Johnson, but didn't. Johnson after three or four smacks, got the message he was on the verge of getting dumped and took the high line and let Kyle go.

The drivers today in F1 are so vanilla and robotic, the 'passion' of racing is all but buried.
Pretty sad, IMO. But apparently the F1 driver is so scared of losing his job, that they won't say anything that hasn't been scripted for him

#70 Tifosi4ever

Tifosi4ever

• 786 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 22:34

I am not religious what so ever, but wtf did you just write? Where you psychologically scarred as a child? or what exactly are you trying to tell us with the second half of your post? :down:

The point, my friend, is that everything depends on circumstance, and who is giving the beating. Yes, I will admit that I have a bit of a problem with being forced into Catholocism as a baby kicking and screaming, and my experience of faith schools is that they are more than willing to give a beating. However, it does also give you the opportunity for some class A experiences to laugh about in future. If Eddie was punched by Fabrizio Barbazza, for example, it wouldn't have been a story he could tell, as noone would really give a ****.

Anyway, times change and whilst Catholic teachers are probably still beating up their students, F1 drivers now get accused of assault if they pat Lewis on the shoulder.

I reckon that in years to come, Massa would have preferred if Lewis turned around and punched him in the face. It would be a funny story to tell his children.

BTW, I proudly got a U in RE. This was my aim. I got A's in subjects such as Maths, English, Computer Studies and Physics, but the one result I am most proud of, is the U in RE. And Jesus most probably was drinking Carling Black Label. :)

#71 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,156 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 22:56

I'm all for drivers speaking their minds, but unfortunately the incidences of it that get reported are usually something along the lines of "I'm right, my opponent is wrong and also a worse driver than me" (polite version), so I prefer to see the on-track action speak for itself in the main.

#72 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 00:46

The point, my friend, is that everything depends on circumstance, and who is giving the beating. Yes, I will admit that I have a bit of a problem with being forced into Catholocism as a baby kicking and screaming, and my experience of faith schools is that they are more than willing to give a beating. However, it does also give you the opportunity for some class A experiences to laugh about in future. If Eddie was punched by Fabrizio Barbazza, for example, it wouldn't have been a story he could tell, as noone would really give a ****.

Anyway, times change and whilst Catholic teachers are probably still beating up their students, F1 drivers now get accused of assault if they pat Lewis on the shoulder.

I reckon that in years to come, Massa would have preferred if Lewis turned around and punched him in the face. It would be a funny story to tell his children.

BTW, I proudly got a U in RE. This was my aim. I got A's in subjects such as Maths, English, Computer Studies and Physics, but the one result I am most proud of, is the U in RE. And Jesus most probably was drinking Carling Black Label. :)

wow,guy
my private catholic schooling did me wonders
sure, we were disciplined, and I picked up a swat or two, neeling by the desk and the general staying after school, but not 'beaten'
I'll tell you this though, when I entered public school, i coasted because the private schooling was eons better
my years of nuns and ex military teachers were educating, not nurturing
doesn't this belong in >P<C?

Edited by whitewaterMkII, 10 April 2012 - 00:47.

#73 pinkypants

pinkypants

• 1,510 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 00:50

I don't want to see punch ups, I do wish that drivers were able to express more of their personalities.. but that's not going to happen due to mainstream sponsorship. We instead get corporate bleh...

#74 Henrik B

Henrik B

• 2,861 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:51

Yeah, after the last race Vettel should have gone and swinged one at Narain.

...and then, defending himself, Narain accidentally hits Vettel with the champagne glass he's holding, injures him and Vettel is forced to sit out a few races. These kind of threads somehow always assumes the "right" person would win a fight. Irvine decking Senna wouldn't be as fun, would it?

#75 wrighty

wrighty

• 3,794 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:36

yeah, F1 is too much plastified and artificial. I would like to have seen Vettel bash Narain even more because the reality is that the Indian driver don't give a damn about anyone there. I still remember what he did to Schumacher in India's qualifying, I wish Schumi could have slapped him in front of his crowd for behaving like a prick on the track and being totally disrespectfull to another driver.

or how about ......

I wish Schumi could have slapped him in front of his crowd and being seen to be totally disrespectful to another driver.

it cuts both ways y'know.....

#76 Kraken

Kraken

• 980 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:16

I would hate to see F1 degenerate into the sort of loutish behaviour we see at football matches and even in some Nascar races.

Any parent who takes their kids to play football will tell you how bad it's got over the last few years with the kids copying what they see on the TV. There are enough problems in junior karting with the behaviour of some kids and their parents already without them having "role models" to follow as well.

Like it or not modern motorsport is 30% talent and 70% sponsorship (IMHO) so knowing how to behave like a civilised human being is incredibly important even if some people do find it boring.

#77 wrighty

wrighty

• 3,794 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:40

indeed. The use of the word 'sportsman' is lost on some people non? :)