The definitive 1950-1980 F1 TV coverage thread

• Please log in to reply
329 replies to this topic

#101 dweller23

dweller23

• 1,568 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 20:28

Found some very interesting information regarding RAI broadcasts:

- Piero Casucci was F1 commentator for RAI at least since Monaco 1959. His last commentaries should be around 1974-75 (last confirmed: Italy 74)

- Italy 55 was available on Eurovision. This is the oldest F1 race confirmed to be available on Eurovision!

And something that I knew for a bit of time:

- First F1 race shown in Italy on TV is 1953 Italian GP (three live segments). Interestingly, parts of that broadcast (if not everything) are still in RAI archives

Advertisement

#102 PeterElleray

PeterElleray

• 1,120 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 22:36

It probably does as the ORF archives do not make anything available unless it was hosted on Austrian soil. Home VCRs were available from 76/77-ish so most likely someone just taped them.

the quality of these old analogue derived recordings seems to be a direct function of how many 'generations' away from the original tapes they are. some of the tapes from this era that i have seen look to be no more than 1 or 2 generations away from the ORF masters, although, ironically, an old betamax machine from the early 80's can prodce a better image than a later vhs machine, which complicates matters.don't have first hand knowledge of home recording in the late 70's so i cant comment on the quality, presumably not a great deal different.

so whilst they could be derived from old home recordings. those are usually given away by some sort of continuity announcement (or adverts on commercial channels). was/is ORF a commercial station and would coverage of a GP during this era have had 'ad' breaks?

there are a few spots on the swedish broadcast where the tape does a typical analogue 'woopsie' as the signal seems to drop away, and a continuity announcer on the start , before the king starts to do his 'king' bit in a tour of the circuit, which might lend some weight to that one being a home recording.

but i'd lay money on quite a few of these tapes having been recorded directly from the masters, whether or not the official line is that nothing is avaliable from the ORF archive. who was it who said that borrowing is theft without a court case afterwards.?

#103 dweller23

dweller23

• 1,568 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 18:36

Some people probably know this video of 1977 Canadian GP:

Does anyone have an idea where could it be from? French language suggests either French or Quebec TV. The changes between shots make it look like world feed, which is currently the only suggestion that there ever was one. I know that French TF1 showed highlights of the race in AutoMoto magazine and that segment is definitely not from that show. Unfortunately, Montreal Gazette doesn't mention any broadcast of that race in any TV station. The only race from that week is Michigan 150 on CTV mixed with lumberjack world championships from Quebec...

#104 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,180 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 19:16

Hmm, lumberjack world championships? Has to do with felling, too, hasn't it...  ;)

#105 dweller23

dweller23

• 1,568 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 23:09

It's actually sad, ABC and CTV devoted tons of time to lumberjack championships every year in 1970s... It was probably cheaper than F1, but I would imagine that CTV was the host TV of Canadian GP in 1970s (they were in 1978-82 period as well as in late 60s).

Any information on that clip would be really, really amazing.

#106 dweller23

dweller23

• 1,568 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 18:13

Okay, so this video is from TVA, but is from a program about Gilles Villeneuve showed shortly after his death. This could mean that CTV/TVA indeed were the host tv, but still didn't show the race live on tv (unless it was live in local Ontario channels).

#107 dweller23

dweller23

• 1,568 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 16:13

The Swedish GP ´78 was originally scheluded on Sunday the

18th of June but was later changed.

The change of dates was reported in Autosport on March 2nd.

The reason given was that 18th of June was the day of the

second round of the World Cup (soccer I presume) and the

networks were comitted to that.

The race was to be televised around the world including the US

by Societe Francais de Production.

ITV confimed one week later that London Weekend would show

the race live.

The midsummer weekend was 23-24th of June that year. 

Christer

It seems that Societe Francais de Production was involved in producing Monaco GP broadcasts for some time. SFP is on the graphics for 1976 Monaco GP.

Also, some updates - it would appear that Sweden 1975 is almost for sure gone. SVT doesn't hold the copyrights and they have no idea who has the copyrights. I checked with almost every archive in countries which showed the race - apart from Italy and Brazil. Another possibility is that it is hidden somewhere in French archives, perhaps...

Maybe if the copyright holder is found, it might help a little bit.

I also updated the broadcasts spreadsheet, added a lot of new stuff from various countries.

#108 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 11,796 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:50

For Austrian TV - when did Heinz Pruller start to commentate and who was the commentator before him?

Sorry if posted before: according to German Wikipedia, Prüller started to comment F1 in 1965.

http://de.wikipedia....i/Heinz_Prüller

#109 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 11,796 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:54

the quality of these old analogue derived recordings seems to be a direct function of how many 'generations' away from the original tapes they are. some of the tapes from this era that i have seen look to be no more than 1 or 2 generations away from the ORF masters, although, ironically, an old betamax machine from the early 80's can prodce a better image than a later vhs machine, which complicates matters.don't have first hand knowledge of home recording in the late 70's so i cant comment on the quality, presumably not a great deal different.

so whilst they could be derived from old home recordings. those are usually given away by some sort of continuity announcement (or adverts on commercial channels). was/is ORF a commercial station and would coverage of a GP during this era have had 'ad' breaks?

there are a few spots on the swedish broadcast where the tape does a typical analogue 'woopsie' as the signal seems to drop away, and a continuity announcer on the start , before the king starts to do his 'king' bit in a tour of the circuit, which might lend some weight to that one being a home recording.

but i'd lay money on quite a few of these tapes having been recorded directly from the masters, whether or not the official line is that nothing is avaliable from the ORF archive. who was it who said that borrowing is theft without a court case afterwards.?

No, ORF was and is Austria's state-financed public station and had no ad breaks at all then.

#110 Spaceframe

Spaceframe

• 258 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:40

Hi Dweller!

I took a walk to the library today and looked through the Röster i Radio/TV ´70-´75.

´70 10/5 18:05-19:00 Monaco SVT1

´71 23/5 16:15-17:15 Monaco SVT1 Sigward Andersson
15:45-17:15 Monaco DR
19:15-19:40 Monaco NRK

17/7 14:20-16:30 Silverstone SVT1 Sigward Andersson

1/8 16:00-16:40 Nürburgring SVT1 Sigward Andersson

5/9 14:00-18:00 Sportspegeln (Sporting Mirror) SVT1 including cycling WC, Mendrisio
pre Olympics, München and F1, Monza

´72 1/5 16:50-18:00 Jarama SVT1 Sigward Andersson

14/5 16:00-17:10 Monaco SVT1 Sigward Andersson
Unfortunatley there was no danish or norwegian schedules for this date so I don´t know
if they had their usual highlights.

13/8 14:55-17:30 Österreichring SVT1 Jan Svanlund

´73 3/6 15:15-16:00 Monaco DR
no time Monaco NRK

´75 11/5 18:55-19:30 Monaco NRK

8/6 13:15-15:45 Anderstorp SVT1 Jan Svanlund
13:30-15:45 Anderstorp DR

3/8 16:20-17:00 Nürburgring DR
17:30-18:00 Nürburgring NRK

I´ll look through ´76-´80 another day.

Christer

DR of course means Danmarks Radio.

Monaco 1971 by DR was commented by Finn Kobberø.

Monaco 1972 was also broadcast by DR. I seem to recall a similar split format as in 1971.

Germany 1972 was scheduled by DR, but I was on holiday abroad and can't remember whether they cancelled it. I have a faint memory of something like that. Germany 1973 was likewise - incidentally the (German?) producers didn't cover the entirecircuit with stationary cameras, so for some sections only helicopter footage is available.

Germany 1974 was broadcast as a half hour highlight by DR - pretty much as 1975, although the program was in the evening rather than the afternoon.

Sweden 1975 was broadcast live by DR. Incidentally i seem to recall it being a Saturday?

#111 Spaceframe

Spaceframe

• 258 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:54

Today was another day!

And a quite depressing one at that.

Here are the races broadcasted in Scandinavia ´76-´80:

´76   30/5    17:30-18:00     Monaco                   NRK

´77    2/10   17:15-18:00     Motorlöb                  DR                motor race (can be almost anything)

´78     7/5    16:40-19:00     Motor Grand Prix     DR                most likely Monaco

13/8   16:00-17:00      Österreichring         DR

10/9   17:00-18:00      Monza                     DR

So no races shown in Sweden during these years.

Christer

In 1976 DR showed a one hour or so edited broadcast of the Austrian GP.

And in 1978 DR indeed broadcast the Monaco GP, once again not the entire race - we got the early laps, and then the last part, but missed Lauda's pit stop at lap 45 (and, if my memory doesn't fail me, Watson's stop which gave Depailler the lead).

DR also broadcasted the Dutch GP of 1978 live.

I recall watching the first start of Italy 1978, with the huge crash the claimed Ronnie. Afterwards the second start was delayed when Scheckter  put his Wolf in the fence at the first Lesmo, causing a repair of the armco, before the race could go ahead. The 17-18 schedule mentioned was not the originally schedule, but as the race got postponed, the managed to add that hour - incidentally I seem to recall the time ran out before the race was finished, and this time no re-scheduling was possible, so we never got see the chequered flag...

#112 dweller23

dweller23

• 1,568 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 17:48

That's great information, thank you for that. If you have any additional information about DR broadcasts (such as any other races or commentators) don't hesitate to share. :)

It's good to see people from more and more countries in this thread, increases the chances for this list to be completed. I just hope some South American TNFers will look here as well at some point and help out with broadcasts in Argentina, Chile, Uruguay, Peru and Venezuela.

#113 Spaceframe

Spaceframe

• 258 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:33

That's great information, thank you for that. If you have any additional information about DR broadcasts (such as any other races or commentators) don't hesitate to share. :)

You're welcome!

Motor racing wasn't exactly a favourite of DR's sport editors - Finn Kobberø's main expertise was in badminton (he won quite a few mens' and mixed doubles at the All England) - so they didn't have a regular comentator. I seem to recall Hans Grønfeldt (main interest handball), Palle Holgersen (boxing and cycling) and later in the 70s Jørgen Steen Nielsen all having a go.

Slightly off topic: DR did broadcast Le Mans 1972 - the start and a couple of short updates on Saturday evening plus the finish on Sunday. It could well have been the legendary Gunnar "Nu" (now) Hansen commentating on this occasion. I seem to recall him talking about Jo Bonnier - and that DR showed a huge crash of Bonnier's. The viewers could then think it was the fatal accident, but really it was rom an earlier date, a late 60s BOAC 500, if my memory doesn't fail me.

#114 seb333

seb333

• 22 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 15:23

Given the commentators accent I'd say it's from a Belgian TV broadcast. But no historical knowledge behind that...

Some people probably know this video of 1977 Canadian GP:
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=DpZnE7gj0gY

Does anyone have an idea where could it be from? French language suggests either French or Quebec TV. The changes between shots make it look like world feed, which is currently the only suggestion that there ever was one. I know that French TF1 showed highlights of the race in AutoMoto magazine and that segment is definitely not from that show. Unfortunately, Montreal Gazette doesn't mention any broadcast of that race in any TV station. The only race from that week is Michigan 150 on CTV mixed with lumberjack world championships from Quebec...

#115 dweller23

dweller23

• 1,568 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:15

You're welcome!

Motor racing wasn't exactly a favourite of DR's sport editors - Finn Kobberø's main expertise was in badminton (he won quite a few mens' and mixed doubles at the All England) - so they didn't have a regular comentator. I seem to recall Hans Grønfeldt (main interest handball), Palle Holgersen (boxing and cycling) and later in the 70s Jørgen Steen Nielsen all having a go.

Slightly off topic: DR did broadcast Le Mans 1972 - the start and a couple of short updates on Saturday evening plus the finish on Sunday. It could well have been the legendary Gunnar "Nu" (now) Hansen commentating on this occasion. I seem to recall him talking about Jo Bonnier - and that DR showed a huge crash of Bonnier's. The viewers could then think it was the fatal accident, but really it was rom an earlier date, a late 60s BOAC 500, if my memory doesn't fail me.

Thanks.

Given the commentators accent I'd say it's from a Belgian TV broadcast. But no historical knowledge behind that...

This video is from Canadian TV documentary about Gilles Villeneuve which was screened a bit after his fatal accident, I believe.

#116 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 11:36

Launched today, the BBC Genome Project, which includes the BBC TV and radio listings from every issue of Radio Times between 1923 and 2009. Presumably for copyright reasons it doesn't include listings for other broadcasters, which started appearing in RT in 1991 when the rules changed.

(O/T - I discovered a whole series of television broadcasts which my late father had done for BBC Schools in 1962! Never knew about those!)

#117 nmansellfan

nmansellfan

• 433 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 11:53

Nice find, thanks for the link Vitesse2!  I'm sure Dweller23 will appreciate it as well.

Was your father a broadcaster by trade or was he chosen to present as a result of him being knowledgeable in his profession?

#118 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:10

Professional meteorologist and BBC TV and radio weather forecaster. He's the one in the screen test video half way down the page:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-25665340

#119 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,180 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:42

BBC weather forecaster? Easiest job in the world, "rain, rain, rain..." :lol:

Advertisement

#120 dweller23

dweller23

• 1,568 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 14:34

Good stuff, will surely use it to cover some gaps.

Btw looks like it contains titles of all Wheelbase episodes as well.

#121 Alan Baker

Alan Baker

• 200 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 14:45

Launched today, the BBC Genome Project, which includes the BBC TV and radio listings from every issue of Radio Times between 1923 and 2009. Presumably for copyright reasons it doesn't include listings for other broadcasters, which started appearing in RT in 1991 when the rules changed.

(O/T - I discovered a whole series of television broadcasts which my late father had done for BBC Schools in 1962! Never knew about those!)

The Genome site is annoyingly addictive, however, for research into BBC broadcasts of motor racing in the 1960's it is flawed by the lack of detail of the contents of the Saturday afternoon "Grandstand" programme, in which all of these events would have been broadcast (the same applies to the various "Bank Holiday Grandstand" shows). No racing on Sundays in the UK in those days of course and it would have been nice to see details of some of the weird and wonderful events that got shown, such as the annual Autopoint, autotests and trials (The Ken Wharton Memorial Trophy springs to mind). Interesting to be reminded of how many Continental GP's the BBC covered in those days, albeit usually only twenty minutes at the start and twenty minutes at the finish. Monaco was covered every year as was Le Mans and of course, the British GP until 1965 when ITV did a deal with Silverstone and in those pre package deal days it included the GP in '65,'67 and '69. Of course, it all went pear shaped in 1968 when the BBC refused to show motor racing due to the new advertising rules introduced that year, the only exception being the British GP. All of these events were commentated on by Raymond Baxter except for Le Mans 1967, which was Murray Walker's first car racing commentary for BBC TV (Raymond Baxter was doing the coverage of the Biggin Hill Air Fair that weekend). When the BBC resumed GP coverage in 1969, Walker did all three events that they covered, but Baxter did Le Mans.

#122 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 15:37

The Genome site is annoyingly addictive ...

Indeed. My interests being mainly pre-war these days, I thought I was aware of all their early motor racing TV output, but this one, at 3pm on May 19th 1939, came as something of a surprise:

Television Surveys: No. 100

The History of Motor Racing

A review, with the co-operation of the Veteran and Vintage Car Clubs, of the development of the racing car, televised direct from Crystal Palace

The cameras were there for the Sydenham Trophy meeting the following day, but when you consider that there were probably only about 12000 households in possession of a set at the time, you have to wonder if the Friday afternoon viewing audience actually made it into four figures!

#123 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 08:57

It's odd how some threads can escape my attention completely.  This is a great piece of research.  My congratulations to dweller23 and his collaborators.

#124 dweller23

dweller23

• 1,568 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 09:21

Thanks, I just wish I had more time to do release a better version of database (with exact broadcast times, commentators, information if the given broadcast exists somewhere etc), I just can't get time to finish it.

Anyway, I recently did an update of 1965-1980 French TV broadcasts, a few significant changes were introduced, since I have the exact confirmation on what was broadcasted and what was only scheduled to be broadcasted, but not broadcasted after all.

I am still finishing up 1981-1990 part, but I'd rather release it in the full version, i.e. with all the information possible on each broadcast. One day hopefully it will see daylight. As for 1950-1980, I am looking for any information from Argentina, they broadcasted a lot of races in 1970s, but I am yet to determine details. I also have a significant DB of various North American races broadcasted in 1960s and 1970s, just no time to create a quickly working website to share all that data.

#125 nmansellfan

nmansellfan

• 433 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 12:00

Hi dweller23, I noticed (having not looked at your database in a while) that the '76 German GP had race highlights shown by TSR and TF1.  The race footage I've seen other than the well known 8mm clip of Lauda's shunt and the German TV news report of the race (complete with badly dubbed over Formula Ford soundtrack!), both have no footage from the world feed that I know of.

The other footage I've seen is the black and white shot of the aftermath of Lauda's shunt from the outside of Berkwerk, the camera low down to the track (I've seen colour screengrabs of the same footage in a German motorsport managzine that was scanned onto the internet as well).  If you've seen that, was it part of the world feed / race highlights?  I assume not - although it looks professional, it doesn't have the look of video (or video that has been telecined to film) and the '63-'75 race highlights I've seen never had a camera at that section, usually only a helicopter covering that area.

#126 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 13:06

Thanks, I just wish I had more time to do release a better version of database (with exact broadcast times, commentators, information if the given broadcast exists somewhere etc), I just can't get time to finish it.

Anyway, I recently did an update of 1965-1980 French TV broadcasts, a few significant changes were introduced, since I have the exact confirmation on what was broadcasted and what was only scheduled to be broadcasted, but not broadcasted after all.

I am still finishing up 1981-1990 part, but I'd rather release it in the full version, i.e. with all the information possible on each broadcast. One day hopefully it will see daylight. As for 1950-1980, I am looking for any information from Argentina, they broadcasted a lot of races in 1970s, but I am yet to determine details. I also have a significant DB of various North American races broadcasted in 1960s and 1970s, just no time to create a quickly working website to share all that data.

If a corner of OldRacingCars.com would be useful to you, I would of course be only too happy to help.

#127 JtP2

JtP2

• 452 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 14:39

thought BBC weather forecast was "Hurricane! What hurricane?"

#128 dweller23

dweller23

• 1,568 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 17:01

Hi dweller23, I noticed (having not looked at your database in a while) that the '76 German GP had race highlights shown by TSR and TF1.  The race footage I've seen other than the well known 8mm clip of Lauda's shunt and the German TV news report of the race (complete with badly dubbed over Formula Ford soundtrack!), both have no footage from the world feed that I know of.

The other footage I've seen is the black and white shot of the aftermath of Lauda's shunt from the outside of Berkwerk, the camera low down to the track (I've seen colour screengrabs of the same footage in a German motorsport managzine that was scanned onto the internet as well).  If you've seen that, was it part of the world feed / race highlights?  I assume not - although it looks professional, it doesn't have the look of video (or video that has been telecined to film) and the '63-'75 race highlights I've seen never had a camera at that section, usually only a helicopter covering that area.

I believe that TF1 highlights, which were part of Auto Moto Magazine shown every Saturday (so this was 6 days after the race), are floating somewhere in the internet, I've seen them, they're titled "Drama at Nurburgring" and are about 10-12 minutes long. They do not feature any world feed pictures, but it is important to notice that TF1 started to use world feed pictures in Auto Moto not earlier than 1980s.

I have no idea what could be inside those TSR highlights, but those were broadcasted on the same day as race, but in the late evening. They were scheduled prior to the race, so they may not be as focused on Lauda's accident as other highlights.

If a corner of OldRacingCars.com would be useful to you, I would of course be only too happy to help.

Thanks for the offer, I will send you a PM to discuss it. :up:

#129 nmansellfan

nmansellfan

• 433 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 08:16

Thanks for the info, dweller, I'll track down the Auto Moto highlights.  It's amazing what's has surfaced in the last few years on video sharing sites...

#130 Blue6ix

Blue6ix

• 230 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 08:49

Happened to stumble this topic and I have to say it's quite impressive!

However, what is the current situation?

For this thread since it wasn't being replied for a long time?

Hopefully there are updates for this fine topic?

Edited by Blue6ix, 07 August 2018 - 08:50.

#131 retriever

retriever

• 560 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 16:00

BBC weather forecaster? Easiest job in the world, "rain, rain, rain..." :lol:

How times have changed!

#132 nmansellfan

nmansellfan

• 433 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 11:30

I realised I said much the same thing three years ago, but it is amazing what can be found on the internet these days - for example I've seen that the world feed, the ORF and (I think) the TF1 versions of the '72 British GP are all watchable on YouTube. The BBC also still has at least the beginning of the race in its archive too, a clip was shown a few years ago on the tribute program to Raymond Baxter IIRC. Other odd things like French TV's broadcast of the build-up towards the start of the '73 British GP which the BBC supplied the feed for, but did not show itself as they only picked up a minute or so before the dummy grid started moving...

None of this will be relevant to dweller23's original database but it's nice to know what's out there to watch nonetheless. Where do people find this stuff?!

Edited by nmansellfan, 19 August 2018 - 11:38.

#133 dweller23

dweller23

• 1,568 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 20:45

Happened to stumble this topic and I have to say it's quite impressive!

However, what is the current situation?

For this thread since it wasn't being replied for a long time?

Hopefully there are updates for this fine topic?

Well I've got some updates, had them nicely put into SQL database however had a system crash and didn't salvage everything (mostly lost commenators data, but I've got most of it around in bunch of notes). I believe I updated the XLS this year once and it is up to date with my database. I will eventually create a website to browse this stuff, but I keep doing other stuff instead of coding the website. I believe I also have majority of F1 data from 1980s collected now as well, but it's scattered all over my files.

#134 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,727 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 23:02

Not seen this before.

Austria 75 & the footage from 31.22 reminded  me why racing drivers deserved every penny ! And of course why I was such a fan of Vittorio ( even if he doesn't quite live up to the Gorilla nickname this time !! ) 

Edited by LittleChris, 21 September 2018 - 23:14.

#135 Pablo Vignone

Pablo Vignone

• 309 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 19:50

Dweller23, are you still in need of Argentinian broadcasts details? Sorry, only yesterday did I saw this.

#136 56Lotus

56Lotus

• 55 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 20:34

Hi all

Does anyone have any contacts within the BBC or know how to get any info out of them? I've tried and been rebuffed.  I knew the BBC recorded a race at Goodwood in 1956 but using the Radio Times listing above I've found the listing

Motor Racing

Synopsis
 Edit
The British Automobile Racing Club's Whit Monday Meeting at Goodwood
BBC Outside Broadcast cameras visit this famous Sussex circuit.

1.35 One hundred kilometres scratch race for sports cars (up to 1,500 c.c.)

2.35 Twelve-lap scratch race for 500 c.c. racing cars
Contributors
Commentator: Robin Richards
Presented for television by: John Vernon

Thanks Jon

#137 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 11:13

Back in post 122 I mentioned a feature which went out on BBC in 1939:

My interests being mainly pre-war these days, I thought I was aware of all their early motor racing TV output, but this one, at 3pm on May 19th 1939, came as something of a surprise:

Television Surveys: No. 100

The History of Motor Racing

A review, with the co-operation of the Veteran and Vintage Car Clubs, of the development of the racing car, televised direct from Crystal Palace

The cameras were there for the Sydenham Trophy meeting the following day, but when you consider that there were probably only about 12000 households in possession of a set at the time, you have to wonder if the Friday afternoon viewing audience actually made it into four figures!

Turns out it wasn't just 'talking heads'. There was a challenge race between Arthur Dobson's ERA and Dick Nash on Vieux Charles III. This is from the Daily Mail, May 20th:

DMHA-1939-0520-0013-F.jpg

#138 back86

back86

• 18 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 06:22

I have Just find out that Japan 1976 was on live tv in Melbourne on channel 9 there it was 2:30 pm start 

#139 Blue6ix

Blue6ix

• 230 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 12:30

Definately it was.

It is quite interesting that in Japan they had F1 coverage for TBS and Fuji TV during the old times.

However, I have looked a few Northern Germany newpapers recently and had found out that Danish TV, meaning DR and later TV2 had some races in television back then, starting from the 1971 Monaco Grand Prix and they seem to have appeared to be in a mood to broadcast some more races than what they did before they had other thoughts about them.

Advertisement

#140 racer69

racer69

• 225 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:17

Finally, I managed to find information about 1976 Japanese GP broadcast in Australia. The race was shown on Channel 9, scheduled from 2PM to 4PM (Sydney time).

Has any footage of the Ch9 coverage of the 1976 Japanese GP ever come to the surface?

Edited by racer69, 12 July 2019 - 09:18.

#141 Blue6ix

Blue6ix

• 230 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 15:19

According to this article, the first Grand Prix on Bulgarian TV was 1978 Monaco Grand Prix even though it maybe can be wrong since I have heard rumours about earlier Monaco races being broadcasted as well.

1978 Monaco Grand Prix was apparently also shown in North Africa region of countries, but sadly unspecified in this following article:

https://www.nytimes....bert-daley.html

#142 Blue6ix

Blue6ix

• 230 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 10:14

Here are some if not almost all of the races which Danish Television, meaning DR that did broadcast for the years of 1971-1976, 1978 and 1980 and sadly there were quite a number of cancellations what comes about broadcasting them and Swedish Grand Prix for the years of 1973-1978 are extremely unsure excluding the year of 1975 and possibly the year of 1978 which had only a question mark of it.

Unsure years are also 1977 and 1979 as for now even though I have heard about a possible Monaco Grand Prix broadcast attempts and 1979 Swedish Grand Prix was of course cancelled by a worldwide margin.

Also for some races there were also two possible broadcast times available so as I mentioned earlier here they come apart from the cancellations unless someone wants to know them all as well:

Monaco: It was seen in 15.45-17.15 o' clock and it was commentated by Finn Kobberø.

Monaco: It was seen in three parts in 14.45-15.30 o' clock, 15.45-16.15 o' clock and in 16.30-17.10 o' clock.

Nürburgring: It was either seen as a live coverage for a very few last laps due to the appaling weather conditions or cancelled and otherwise surely as a highlights seen either in 19.30-20.20 o' clock or in 19.55-20.20 o' clock.

Commentators were not sadly said for the year of 1972.

Monaco: It was seen in two parts in 15.15-16.45 o' clock and in 17.15-18 o' clock instead of just a one part in 15.15-16 o' clock.

Nürburgring: It was seen in 13.45-14.45 o' clock. Earlier showing could have also been possible for this race as well since there was few different broadcast time and also with question marks for them.

Commentators were not sadly said for the year of 1973.

Nürburgring: It was seen in 22.35-22.55 o' clock as a highlights. It was also said to gain approximately 10 minute more broadcast time due to it's late night airing time.

Commentators were not sadly said for the year of 1974.

Anderstorp: It was seen in 13.30-15.45 o' clock as a live coverage. It was also said to be the first F1 race in Danish TV without any possible interruptions like in Monaco Grand Prix during the years of 1971-1973 and maybe it was true or maybe not. :confused: 

Nürburgring: It was seen in 16.20-17 o' clock as a highlights.

Commentators were not sadly said for the year of 1975.

Österreichring: It was seen in 16.40-17.40 o' clock as a highlights. It was commentated by Jørgen Steen Nielsen.

Monaco: It was seen in 16.40-19 o' clock and it was commentated by Claus Borre and Jac Nelleman. It was only partially shown in Denmark.

Anderstorp: It was possibly shown in Denmark as a last-minute surprise live coverage commentated by Claus Borre and Jac Nelleman. At least it was supposed to be shown like in the 1975 race as well even though it had question marks written on it. :well: 

Österreichring: It was seen in 16-17 o' clock as as highlights and it was commentated by Claus Borre and Jac Nelleman. It could have been live coverage when approaching it's end parts because of the red flag periods during the race.

Zandvoort: It was seen as as last-minute surprise live coverage commentated by Claus Borre and Jac Nelleman. Most likely it's broadcast time was the same as Swedish SVT had, meaning 13.30-15.30 o' clock and maybe longer.

Monza: It was supposed to be seen as in highlights in 17-18 o' clock, but after it's very sad and known events it was postponed so much that DR was able to actually go as in live coverage for the race even though eventually this was cut short either when reaching to the chequered flag or at longest, on it's closing laps for the shortened race. It was commentated by Claus Borre and Jac Nelleman.

DR was also very interested about showing Watkins Glen and Montreal as well, but after Ronnie Peterson had passed away, they promptly cancelled that from occuring like SVT also did for Swedish side.

Zandvoort: It was seen as a highlights in 20.40-21.10 o' clock and it was commentated by Claus Borre and Jac Nelleman.

Possibly in 1980 Monaco Grand Prix was broadcasted as well or cancelled since it wasn't really mentioned when approaching Monaco Grand Prix weekend during that year.

Edited by Blue6ix, 17 August 2019 - 10:29.

#143 Blue6ix

Blue6ix

• 230 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 18:10

When searching for the Gaeilge or in other words, Irish F1 TV Coverage for the years of 1962-1980 as when this topic points so, I managed to find out that even though F1 wasn't coveraged in Ireland (Even though Irish people still had changes back then to follow F1 from the British coverage when possible and when counting that possibility in, they have seen it quite a lot during these decades.) in 1962, Sebring 12 Hour Sportscar race from that year was shown as a 30-minute highlights in Telefís Éireann.

It was shown in 30.12.1962 at 17-17.30 o' clock.

Searching for the rest of the F1 coverage in Ireland is continuing and I will provide those timetables shortly after this message from the years of 1963-1980 if and when broadcasted.

PS. I also managed to find out that even though 1963 Monaco Grand Prix wasn't broadcasted in Ireland back then when it was being held, they at least had a 50-minute highlights in Telefís Éireann.

It was shown 22.6.1963 at 22.05-22.55 o' clock almost a month after the race.

PPS. I also managed to find out, but not confirm that maybe 1969 British Grand Prix was broadcasted also in Ireland with it's own programme for the Republic. By then the only TV channel in Ireland had changed it's name to RTÉ. However the programme possibly containing the 1969 British Grand Prix was just labelled as Sports Special and it was shown 19.7.1969 at 14.16-17.30 o' clock.

If not ever seen in Ireland as it's own, it was still possible to see it from ITV and Ulster TV meaning UTV back then in Ireland. Excluding 1 or approximately 2 races there weren't any Grand Prix shown in Ireland in the 1960s as for their own programmes and for the Republic even though naturally they did have British coverage as well.

At least for their same-day coverage even though possibly there might have been some broadcasts many weeks or even months after the race, but sadly with some possible races were also marked as Sports Special there weren't many changes to confirm those ones.

1969 British Grand Prix at least had it's indications and programme timings really based for the possible Grand Prix broadcasting.

Edited by Blue6ix, 14 January 2020 - 04:43.

#144 Blue6ix

Blue6ix

• 230 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 19:45

After searching for the Irish F1 coverage from the 1970s there actually were quite a lot of it.

And even of course for the Republic or as in Gaeilge, Poblacht.

From the Poblacht, it was of course natural to be able to see broadcasts from the British side as well from the 1970s meaning quite a many race for the season excluding of course in some degree for the seasons of 1976 and 1977 because of the inappropriate commercials when displayed from the certain cars. :smoking:

Or could have been when it was mostly marked for almost just as many times as the Sport Special or with a similiar sports name like Sports Stadium.

Because for the size of information, I have decided to divide that info for two different messages from the years of 1970-1980.

In this message comes the years of 1970-1971 and 1973-1974 and the years of 1975-1980 will come for the next message.

Sadly in the year of 1972 there weren't any Irish F1 coverage for their own excluding a possible surprise coverage for the Monaco Grand Prix or for the British Grand Prix, but since there weren't any indication marks for a possible coverage to occur, that is most unlikely to have been broadcasted so even though of course they had British F1 coverage for that year too.

So here are the races from the RTÉ which excluding two races are sadly tentative broadcasts as for now and any new information about these following broadcasts are very welcome indeed:

Jarama: This race maybe had a coverage back then in Poblacht or the Republic. Sadly, it was marked as a Sports Special and it was shown at 15.01-17.15 o' clock so for a time being this race maybe was included on it or otherwise it wasn't shown at all if not included for this programme.

Zandvoort: This race maybe had a coverage back then in Poblacht or the Republic. Sadly, it was marked as a Sports Special and it was shown at 16.30-17.55 o' clock so for a time being this race maybe was included on it or otherwise it wasn't shown at all if not included for this programme. It could have been highly unlikely to be seen as a very long coverage race even if broadcasted because of the possible Re-run from the World Cup 1970 Bronze Match.

Brands Hatch: This race maybe had a coverage back then in Poblacht or the Republic. Sadly, it was marked as a Sports Special and it was shown at 14.15-18 o' clock so for a time being this race maybe was included on it or otherwise it wasn't shown at all if not included for this programme.

Monza: This race maybe had a coverage back then in Poblacht or the Republic. Sadly, it was marked as a Sports Special and it was shown at 13.20-17 o' clock so for a time being this race maybe was included on it or otherwise it wasn't shown at all if not included for this programme.

Montjuic Park: This race maybe had a coverage back then in Poblacht or the Republic. Sadly, it was marked as a Sports Special and it was shown at 13.20-17 o' clock so for a time being this race maybe was included on it or otherwise it wasn't shown at all if not included for this programme.

Also for this particular Sports Special, it could have been cancelled altogether because of the Sunday Movie Hours back then in Ireland when their national TV did broadcast many hours long movies and other TV series which sometimes did begin with series and concluded for some movies and of course some times movies begin that hour or hours depending on the selected programmes length and concluded for some TV series.

If not cancelled then Sports Special was shown at depending of TV days programme launch and news anywhere around right after them at 15.15-15.21 o' clock and it had approximately time for to be concluded at 17.15 o' clock.

If held within the original broadcast plan, then the Sunday Movie Hours were transfered to begin from 17.15 o' clock onwards or right after when Sports Special was concluded within the immediate effect and with most likely a shortened runtime especially if Sports Special for that time were a long one like they usually did tend to be.

Zandvoort: This race maybe had a coverage back then in Poblacht or the Republic. Sadly, it was marked as a Sports Special and it was shown at 16.01-18 o' clock so for a time being this race maybe was included on it or otherwise it wasn't shown at all if not included for this programme.

Silverstone: This race maybe had a coverage back then in Poblacht or the Republic. Sadly, it was marked as a Sports Special and it was shown at 14.15-17.35 o' clock so for a time being this race maybe was included on it or otherwise it wasn't shown at all if not included for this programme.

Österreichring: This race maybe had a coverage back then in Poblacht or the Republic. Sadly, it was marked as a Sports Special and it was shown at 14.30-17.10 o' clock so for a time being this race maybe was included on it or otherwise it wasn't shown at all if not included for this programme.

Monaco: This has been verified 100 % as the first F1 race shown in Ireland as for their own programme. If I'm not mistaken and timetable matches for the actual race helding time then this was shown mostly or at least partially as a live coverage, but otherwise it was a extended highlights. It was shown at 16.30-17.45 o' clock. There weren't any other races shown back then in Ireland after this race for this season excluding of course the surprise coverage possibly for the British Grand Prix.

Monaco: This race has also broadcasted in Ireland back then and for time being it is the only 100 % sure F1 race to have been broadcasted back then in Ireland for this season. Once again this race was shown as a mostly or at least partially as a live coverage depending on the timetable for the actual race itself, but otherwise it was a extended highlights. It was shown at 16.45-18 o' clock.

Silverstone: This race maybe had a coverage back then in Poblacht or the Republic. Sadly, it was marked as a Sports Stadium and it was shown at 14-17.30 o' clock so for a time being this race maybe was included on it or otherwise it wasn't shown at all if not included for this programme.

Edited by Blue6ix, 14 January 2020 - 19:48.

#145 Blue6ix

Blue6ix

• 230 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 03:29

Here are the races broadcasted by the Irish Television meaning  RTÉ and starting from the 1978 onwards when renamed as  RTÉ 1 and from the second Irish channel, meaning of course RTÉ 2 from the years of 1975-1980.

I have decided to divide this message for a final time.

It will be meaning that this message will include the years of 1975-1978 and the next message will include the years of 1979-1980.

Even though the years of 1976 and 1977 has more uncertain coverage than in any other year even though some of the coverage even later than those years has their own uncertain aspects as well:

Silverstone: This race was seen as a mixed-up coverage with other sports events like Irish Guinness Oaks and European Cup of Athlethics when the main feature event, up to over an hour long coverage was dedicated to the Gaelic Football from the previous Sunday night.

This race was seen in Ireland within the Sports Stadium programme which could have been seen at 13.55-17.10 o' clock so there was a coverage from the Grand Prix between that timeline and of course when hour of it had been already dedicated away from it to a Gaelic Football and when it had to share it's own programme time which indicates this race to be as a highlights rather than a extended highlights or at least the crucial, partially live coverage of the race.

Even though there were of course the famous red flag stop for the race, but it maybe weren't enough for the race coverage itself to be a live coverage depending of the race helding time and they actually did end the race after the red flag period of time anyway. This race was most likely the only race shown in Ireland back in this season since Monaco Grand Prix weren't shown apart from the usual British side possibility to be able to see it and unless it of course weren't a surprise coverage race.

Kyalami: This race maybe had a coverage back then in Poblacht or the Republic. Sadly, it was marked as a Sports Stadium and it was shown at 13.55-17.30 o' clock so for a time being this race maybe was included on it or otherwise it wasn't shown at all if not included for this programme.

Fuji: This race may have been seen in Ireland even though there is only two possible ways for it: One way of it was as a live surprise coverage for extended periods of time and maybe even the whole race because of the championship situation with James Hunt and Niki Lauda and when of course not mentioning bad weather and the rain for the race in Japan.

Second and other way of it was that this particular race were broadcasted if shown as a suprise coverage highlights within and concurrently with Ulster TV or UTV and surprise coverage when shown as a highlights had the same highlights time table period meaning that it was shown as a surprise coverage highlights at 15.15-16.10 o' clock in Poblacht which of course was the same or supposed to be same for the Ulster side. As for time being 1976 season has uncertainity looming on it because Monaco Grand Prix weren't supposed to be broadcasted unless it was shown as a suprise coverage.

Kyalami: This race maybe had a coverage back then in Poblacht or the Republic. Sadly, it was marked as a Sports Stadium and it was shown at 13.50-17.05 o' clock so for a time being this race maybe was included on it or otherwise it wasn't shown at all if not included for this programme. If this race did have its airtime on telly in Poblacht, then people there would have seen some really bad things happening there. :(

Silverstone: This race maybe had a coverage back then in Poblacht or the Republic. Sadly, it was marked as a Sports Stadium and it was shown at 13.50-17.50 o' clock so for a time being this race maybe was included on it or otherwise it wasn't shown at all if not included for this programme. It is a more likely than in 1976 season that people in Poblacht had chance to see this even with their own coverage rather than just for the British one even though there was still problems with possible inappropriate commercials from the certain cars and also when this race was being held once again on the traditional Saturday race rather than as a Sunday race.

Fuji: This race may have been seen in Ireland even though far more certain as a highlights rather than in 1976 when the championship was at stake for James Hunt and Niki Lauda. It was shown within the same time as in British highlights from the race were supposed to be shown. Of course there were some indications for a live coverage again, but when championship battle had been over for quite a some I don't think that it was really seen as a live coverage. As for time being 1977 season has uncertainity looming on it because Monaco Grand Prix weren't supposed to be broadcasted unless it was shown as a suprise coverage.

Kyalami: This race maybe had a coverage back then in Poblacht or the Republic. Sadly, it was marked as a Sports Stadium and it was shown at 13.40-16.55 o' clock so for a time being this race maybe was included on it or otherwise it wasn't shown at all if not included for this programme.

Long Beach: This race was marked by a debut of Derek Daly. However when Daly didn't qualify for the race itself, this race was still included as for the Sport Scene programme as a highlights coverage or maybe it was a live segmented race because of this being as a late night race in Ireland back then. Sport Scene programme as it's own or for a surprise coverage one was seen at earliest possible time at 23 o' clock or very late at night when it had some time for running, mostly remembered to be around 35 minutes when broadcasted as a highlights. Possible live coverage can be probable one, but not as much certain rather than in later years.

Monaco: This race was the first 100 % certain Monaco Grand Prix to be shown in Ireland since 1974 Monaco Grand Prix. It was meaned to be broadcasted as a live coverage race. However when Derek Daly once again didn't qualify for the race itself, this race was shown in Ireland unless Irish Television had a change of their mind, only as a extended highlights at 15.45-17 o' clock which might have included some live segments on it depending of the actual race starting time.

Zolder: This race was supposed to be shown either as a live coverage or as a full non-live coverage depending once again of Derek Daly's situation what did came about being in the actual race itself. When Daly didn't qualify for the race itself, this race was still included as for the Sport Scene programme as a highlights coverage and that meant of course evening broadcast time at 23.10-23.40 o' clock.

Anderstorp: This race maybe had a coverage back then in Poblacht or the Republic. Sadly, it was marked as a Sports Stadium and it was shown at 13.40-16.45 o' clock so for a time being this race maybe was included on it or otherwise it wasn't shown at all if not included for this programme. If shown then it was the only Swedish Grand Prix broadcasted on Ireland from the years of 1973-1978 when the Swedish Grand Prix were being held excluding of course broadcast attempt of 1979 Swedish Grand Prix which was cancelled worldwide.

Paul Ricard: This race was supposed to be shown either as a live coverage or as a full non-live coverage depending once again of Derek Daly's situation what did came about being in the actual race itself. When Daly didn't qualify for the race itself, this race was still included as for the Sport Scene programme as a highlights coverage and that meant of course evening broadcast time at 22.55-23.40 o' clock.

Brands Hatch: This race was the first 100 % certain British Grand Prix to be shown in Ireland as it's own programme rather then being included or being a part of some other sports related programme either as a main event programme or even just a highlights. When Derek Daly qualified for the race, it was his first time to do so and even though when this race tentatively had at least full extended highlights coverage or most of it being live coverage starting at the 15.30 o' clock and then being shown up for most parts at the 16.45 o' clock for to be concluded, it may have been a live race coverage back then in Ireland.

Österreichring: This race has somewhat problematic time tables. This race of course at least had been included to be shown as a highlights when included for the Sport Scene programme at 22.45-23.45 o' clock, but when Derek Daly qualified for the race and with it's red flag stop this race may have been also seen as a surprise live coverage back in Ireland as well.

Zandvoort: This race has somewhat problematic time tables. This race of course at least had been included to be shown as a highlights when included for the Sport Scene programme at 22.55-23.40 o' clock, but when Derek Daly qualified for the race then this race may have been also seen as a surprise live coverage back in Ireland as well.

Monza: This race has somewhat problematic time tables. This race of course at least had been included to be shown as a highlights when included for the Sport Scene programme at 23.05-23.50 o' clock, but when Derek Daly qualified for the race and with it's multiple red flag stops this race may have been also seen as a surprise live coverage back in Ireland as well.

Watkins Glen: This race has somewhat problematic time tables. This race was still included at least as for the Sport Scene programme as a highlights coverage or maybe it was a live segmented race because of this being as a late night race in Ireland back then.

Sport Scene programme as it's own or for a surprise coverage one was seen at earliest possible time at 22.40 o' clock or very late at night when it had some time for running, mostly remembered to be around 50 minutes when broadcasted as a highlights. Possible live coverage can be probable one, but not as much certain rather than in later years even though unlike in Long Beach, Derek Daly definitely did qualify for this race so there are better chance for it to have been broadcasted in Ireland back then.

Montreal: This race has somewhat problematic time tables. This race was still included at least as for the Sport Scene programme as a highlights coverage or maybe it was a live segmented race because of this being as a evening race in Ireland back then. Sport Scene programme as it's own or for a surprise coverage one was seen at earliest possible time at 23.15 o' clock or very late at night when it had some time for running, mostly remembered to be around 30 minutes when broadcasted as a highlights.

Possible live coverage can be probable one, but not as much certain rather than in later years even though unlike in Long Beach and like in Watkins Glen, Derek Daly definitely did qualify for this race so there are better chance for it to have been broadcasted in Ireland back then and there was quite of a enjoyment around the press when Derek Daly actually managed to score his first Grand Prix point back then.

Outside the normal races, one non-championship race was also broadcasted in Ireland back then in 1978. It was of course BRDC International Trophy which was won by Keke Rosberg. In this race Derek Daly was also taking part on it even though he retired from the race. It was shown at least as a highlights programme within Sport Scene programme on 19.3.1978 at 23.05-23.35 and otherwise it was maybe broadcasted as a surprise coverage as well. Even though non-championship races were shown in Ireland mostly thanks from the British coverage of them it could have possibly occured by back then.

Edited by Blue6ix, 16 January 2020 - 04:02.

#146 Blue6ix

Blue6ix

• 230 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 03:59

Here are the races broadcasted by the Irish Television meaning  RTÉ and they are from the RTÉ 1 and from the RTÉ 2 from the years of 1979 and 1980 and once again there are some uncertainity with sadly most rather than what I said previously of the races and of course the 1979 Swedish Grand Prix was a cancelled one and British coverage was also a choice as well to be seen:

Buenos Aires: This race has somewhat problematic time tables. This race was still included at least as for the Sport Scene programme as a highlights coverage or maybe it was a live segmented race because of this being as a evening race in Ireland back then. Sport Scene programme as it's own or for a surprise coverage one was seen at earliest possible time at 23.05 o' clock or very late at night when it had some time for running, mostly remembered to be around 40 minutes when broadcasted as a highlights on the RTÉ 1.

Possible live coverage can be probable one, but not as much certain rather than in later years even though Derek Daly definitely did qualify for this race and was constantly or at least quite often qualifying for the races starting from this point on so there are better chance for it to have been broadcasted in Ireland back then than ever before for the flyaway race.

Interlagos: This race has somewhat problematic time tables. This race was still included at least as for the Sport Scene programme as a highlights coverage or maybe it was a live segmented race because of this being as a evening race in Ireland back then. Sport Scene programme as it's own or for a surprise coverage one was seen at earliest possible time at 22.20 o' clock or very late at night when it had some time for running, mostly remembered to be around 1 hour when broadcasted as a highlights on the RTÉ 1.

Possible live coverage can be probable one, but not as much certain rather than in later years even though Derek Daly definitely did qualify for this race so there are better chance for it to have been broadcasted in Ireland back then than ever before for the flyaway race excluding the preceding race from the Buenos Aires or a few other flyaway races before the year of 1979.

Kyalami: This race maybe had a coverage back then in Poblacht or the Republic. Sadly, it was marked as a Sports Stadium and it was shown tentatively at 13.40-17.50 o' clock or earliest, starting at 12.15 o' clock so for a time being this race maybe was included on it or otherwise it wasn't shown at all if not included for this programme.

It could also have been just a highlights coverage because Derek Daly didn't qualify for this race and for a highlights there were two possible timeslot and they were with either starting at earliest possible time at 22.50 o' clock, maybe seen very late at night when it had some time for running, mostly remembered to be around 1 hour when and if broadcasted as a highlights on the RTÉ 1 and the second possible timeslot was the same airing time as in Great Britain within their own coverage for the same channel.

Long Beach: This race has somewhat problematic time tables. This race was still included at least as for the Sport Scene programme as a highlights coverage or maybe it was a live segmented race because of this being as a evening race in Ireland back then. Sport Scene programme as it's own or for a surprise coverage one was seen at earliest possible time at 22.40 o' clock or very late at night when it had some time for running, mostly remembered to be around 1 hour when broadcasted as a highlights on the RTÉ 1.

Possible live coverage can be probable one, but not as much certain rather than in later years even though Derek Daly definitely did qualify for this race so there are better chance for it to have been broadcasted in Ireland back then than ever before for the flyaway race excluding the preceding race from the Buenos Aires, Interlagos or a few other flyaway races before the year of 1979.

Jarama: This race was supposed to be shown either as a live coverage or as a full non-live coverage since it was the European opening race of the season and depending once again of Derek Daly's situation what did came about being in the actual race itself. When Daly didn't qualify for the race itself, this race was still included as for the Sport Scene programme on the RTÉ 1 as a highlights coverage and that meant of course evening broadcast time at 22.45-23.30 o' clock.

Zolder: This race was supposed to be shown either as a live coverage or as a full non-live coverage depending once again of Derek Daly's situation what did came about being in the actual race itself. When Daly didn't qualify for the race itself, this race was still included as for the Sport Scene programme on the RTÉ 1 as a highlights coverage and that meant of course evening broadcast time at 22.45-23.45 o' clock.

Even if shown as a live coverage or as a full non-live coverage and providing that Daly could have made it for the race, it was still possible for it to share it's timeslot with FA Cup, Scottish Cup and Irish Cup Football Special. Especially when going for a live coverage just like Ulster TV or UTV had to when considering this race back then. In Ireland it would have been started on at 14 o' clock and ended on at 16.45 o' clock.

Monaco: This race was the first 100 % certain Monaco Grand Prix to be shown in Ireland when the Irish Television was renamed as RTÉ 1. It was meaned to be broadcasted as a live coverage race. However when Derek Daly once again didn't qualify for the race itself, this race was shown in Ireland unless Irish Television had a change of their mind, only as a highlights at 17-17.45 o' clock.

Österreichring: This race was supposed to be shown in Ireland and on the RTÉ 1 when Derek Daly made it for the race itself even though the race itself had it's famous issues with live coverage so it was only shown as a highlights about the same time when British ones of the coverage were shown so it might have been not even the same day coverage.

Montreal: This race has somewhat problematic time tables. This race was still included at least as for the Sport Scene programme as a highlights coverage or maybe it was a live segmented race because of this being as a evening race in Ireland back then.

Sport Scene programme as it's own or for a surprise coverage one was seen at earliest possible time at 23.35 o' clock or very late at night when it had some time for running, mostly remembered to be around 1 hour when broadcasted as a highlights on the RTÉ 1.

Possible live coverage can be probable one, but not as much certain rather than in later years even though Derek Daly definitely did qualify for this race so there are better chance for it to have been broadcasted in Ireland back then than ever before for the flyaway race excluding the preceding race from the Buenos Aires, Interlagos and possibly Kyalami or a few other flyaway races before the year of 1979.

Watkins Glen:  This race has somewhat problematic time tables. This race was still included at least as for the Sport Scene programme as a highlights coverage or maybe it was a live segmented race because of this being as a evening race in Ireland back then. Sport Scene programme as it's own or for a surprise coverage one was seen at earliest possible time at 22.55 o' clock or very late at night when it had some time for running, mostly remembered to be around 30 minutes when broadcasted as a highlights on the RTÉ 1.

Possible live coverage can be probable one, but not as much certain rather than in later years even though Derek Daly definitely did qualify for this race so there are better chance for it to have been broadcasted in Ireland back then than ever before for the flyaway race excluding the preceding race from the Buenos Aires, Interlagos or a few other flyaway races before the year of 1979.

Buenos Aires: This race has somewhat problematic time tables. This race was still included at least as for the Sport Scene programme as a highlights coverage or maybe it was a live segmented race because of this being as a evening race in Ireland back then.

Sport Scene programme as it's own or for a surprise coverage one was seen at earliest possible time at midnight or very late at night when it had some time for running, mostly remembered to be around 1 hour when broadcasted as a highlights on the RTÉ 1.

Possible live coverage can be probable one, but not as much certain rather than in later years even though Derek Daly definitely did qualify for this race so there are better chance for it to have been broadcasted in Ireland back then than ever before for the flyaway race and when comparing them for the years of 1978-1979 or even before those years.

This race definitely caused quite of an enjoyment in Ireland back then since Derek Daly did scored his career best point position in fourth place and there weren't many seconds for becoming to a first Irish driver on podium when Keke Rosberg had a late race fuel top-up stop.

Interlagos: This race has somewhat problematic time tables. This race was still included at least as for the Sport Scene programme as a highlights coverage or maybe it was a live segmented race because of this being as a evening race in Ireland back then.

Sport Scene programme as it's own or for a surprise coverage one was seen at earliest possible time at 22.50 o' clock or very late at night when it had some time for running, mostly remembered to be around 45 minutes when broadcasted as a highlights on the RTÉ 1.

Possible live coverage can be probable one, but not as much certain rather than in later years even though Derek Daly definitely did qualify for this race so there are better chance for it to have been broadcasted in Ireland back then than ever before for the flyaway race and when comparing them for the years of 1978-1979 or even before those years.

Kyalami: This race maybe had a coverage back then in Poblacht or the Republic. Sadly, it was marked as a Sports Stadium and it was shown tentatively at 13.40-17.05 o' clock or earliest, starting at 12.15 o' clock so for a time being this race maybe was included on it or otherwise it wasn't shown at all if not included for this programme.

It could also have been just a highlights coverage, but most important thing is that rather than in years of 1978-1979 or earlier ones when comparing them to this one is that Derek Daly did qualify for this race and for a highlights there were two possible timeslot and they were with either starting at earliest possible time at 23.50 o' clock, maybe seen very late at night when it had some time for running, mostly remembered to be around 1 hour when and if broadcasted as a highlights on the RTÉ 1 and the second possible timeslot was the same airing time as in Great Britain within their own coverage for the same channel.

Long Beach: This race has somewhat problematic time tables. This race was still included at least as for the Sport Scene programme as a highlights coverage or maybe it was a live segmented race because of this being as a evening race in Ireland back then.

Sport Scene programme as it's own or for a surprise coverage one was seen at earliest possible time at 23 o' clock or very late at night when it had some time for running, mostly remembered to be around 45 minutes when broadcasted as a highlights on the RTÉ 1.

Zolder: This race has somewhat problematic time tables. This race of course at least had been included to be shown as a highlights when included for the Sport Scene programme at 23-23.45 o' clock on the RTÉ 1, but when Derek Daly qualified for the race then this race may have been also seen as a surprise live coverage back in Ireland as well.

Monaco: This race was shown in Ireland almost 100 % surely as a live coverage starting from at 14.30 o' clock onwards and of course end right after the chequered flag and there was only continued broadcast time in case that Daly would have made to the poduim when Derek Daly qualified for this particular race.

It was shown either on the RTÉ 1 or for the first time on the RTÉ 2 depending on channel programmes in the afternoon. Hadn't Daly made it to the Sunday's action packed race or if cancelled by some unfathomable reason, Monaco Grand Prix from this year were supposed to be shown in that case as a hour long highlights on the RTÉ 1 at 16.15-17.15 o' clock.

If shown as a live coverage, then highlights coverage could have begin with a little late scheduled different broadcast time or maybe it was cancelled and otherwise shown as it was. If shown as a live coverage it could have been the first full live coverage of the Grand Prix ever in Ireland as their own coverage rather than in British one.

Paul Ricard: This race has somewhat problematic time tables. This race of course at least had been included to be shown as a highlights when included for the Sport Scene programme at 23.55-00.40 o' clock on the RTÉ 1, but when Derek Daly qualified for the race then this race may have been also seen as a surprise live coverage back in Ireland as well.

Brands Hatch:  This race was the first 100 % certain British Grand Prix to be shown in Ireland as it's own programme on the history of renamed RTÉ 1 rather than just RTÉ.

This race tentatively had at least full extended highlights coverage or most of it being either live or non-live coverage starting at the 16 o' clock and then being shown up for most parts at the 17.15 o' clock for to be concluded for the same channel, but as Derek Daly did qualify for this race it was shown like Monaco Grand Prix, either on RTÉ 1 or RTÉ 2 depending once again from the other possible programmes in the afternoon.may have been a live race coverage back then in Ireland.

If shown as a live coverage it could have been the first full live coverage of the British Grand Prix ever in Ireland as their own coverage rather than in British one and a second one on their own after the Monaco Grand Prix earlier on the same year. If shown as a live coverage, then highlights coverage could have begin with a little late scheduled different broadcast time or maybe it was cancelled and otherwise shown as it was.

Hockenheim: This race has somewhat problematic time tables. This race of course at least had been included to be shown as a highlights when included for the Sport Scene programme at 23.55-00.40 o' clock on the RTÉ 1, but when Derek Daly qualified for the race then this race may have been also seen as a surprise live coverage back in Ireland as well.

Österreichring: This race has somewhat problematic time tables. This race of course at least had been included to be shown as a highlights when included for the Sport Scene programme at 23.25-00.10 o' clock on the RTÉ 1, but when Derek Daly qualified for the race then this race may have been also seen as a surprise live coverage back in Ireland as well.

Zandvoort: This race has somewhat problematic time tables. This race of course at least had been included to be shown as a highlights when included for the Sport Scene programme at 23.20-00.05 o' clock on the RTÉ 1, but when Derek Daly qualified for the race then this race may have been also seen as a surprise live coverage back in Ireland as well.

If shown live however, it would have been shown also by the RTÉ 2 because of the other programmes and if not by them then at least after an hour from the start of the race back in Netherlands since RTÉ 1 did begin to show Phoenix Park Race Grand Prix back then at 15-17.45 o' clock meaning that the coverage of the race started at 14 o' clock if broadcasted as a live coverage.

Imola: This race has somewhat problematic time tables. This race of course at least had been included to be shown as a highlights when included for the Sport Scene programme at 23.35-00.20 o' clock on the RTÉ 1, but when Derek Daly qualified for the race then this race may have been also seen as a surprise live coverage back in Ireland as well.

Montreal:  This race has somewhat problematic time tables. This race was still included at least as for the Sport Scene programme as a highlights coverage or maybe it was a live segmented race because of this being as a evening race in Ireland back then.

Sport Scene programme as it's own or for a surprise coverage one was seen at earliest possible time at 23.45 o' clock or very late at night when it had some time for running, mostly remembered to be around 45 minutes when broadcasted as a highlights on the RTÉ 1.

Watkins Glen: This race has somewhat problematic time tables. This race was still included at least as for the Sport Scene programme as a highlights coverage or maybe it was a live segmented race because of this being as a evening race in Ireland back then. Sport Scene programme as it's own or for a surprise coverage one was seen at earliest possible time at 22.45 o' clock or very late at night when it had some time for running, mostly remembered to be around 45 minutes when broadcasted as a highlights on the RTÉ 1.

Outside the normal races, four non-championship races were also broadcasted in Ireland back then in 1979 and in 1980. As of course for the 1979 they were Race of Champions which was won by Gilles Villeneuve, Gunnar Nilsson Memorial Trophy which was won by Alan Jones and Dino Ferrari Grand Prix which was won by Niki Lauda. For the 1980 season the only non-championship race or rather a stripped world chapionship race was the 1980 Spanish Grand Prix.

For the 1979 Race of Champions, Derek Daly wasn't taking part on it, but David Kennedy did even though he did not start for the race because of the broken gearbox and not enough time to replace it. It was shown at least as a highlights programme within Sport Scene programme on 15.4.1979 at 23-00.15 o' clock on the RTÉ 1 and otherwise it was maybe broadcasted as a surprise coverage as well.

Even though non-championship races were shown in Ireland mostly thanks from the British coverage of them it could have possibly occured by back then. For the 1979 Gunnar Nilsson Memorial Trophy any Irish driver like Derek Daly or David Kennedy weren't taking a part of it, but it was shown at least as a highlights programme within Sport Scene programme on 3.6.1979 at 22.45-23.30 o' clock on the RTÉ 1 and otherwise it was maybe broadcasted as a surprise coverage as well.

For the 1979 Dino Ferrari Grand Prix any Irish driver like Derek Daly or David Kennedy weren't taking a part of it, but it was shown at least as a highlights programme within Sport Scene programme on 16.9.1979 at 23.45-1 o' clock on the RTÉ 1 and otherwise it was maybe broadcasted as a surprise coverage as well.

Finally for the 1980 Spanish Grand Prix both Irish drivers meaning Derek Daly and David Kennedy were taking a part of it and it could have been shown as a full live surprise coverage as well even though it's non-championship status could have meaned only just a highlights included within Sport Scene programme on 1.6.1980 at 22.45-23.30 o' clock on the RTÉ 1.

Edited by Blue6ix, 16 January 2020 - 04:00.

#147 Blue6ix

Blue6ix

• 230 posts

Posted 25 July 2020 - 21:59

Though I haven't searched many South American, Central American or Caribbean Countries for their coverage, there are some interesting information about them.

Argentina for example, had quite a many different channel showing Formula 1 at one point.

However, before the year of 1972 and after the retirement of Juan Manuel Fangio (Only exception for that rule at least seems to be the 1971 Argentine Grand Prix as a test event won as a two-part heat races and won by no other than the famously unlucky Chris Amon himself and for the 1972 F1 Season as of now.) the possible coverage for the F1 races in there was extremely rare event to witness or if there was any coverage at all was not stated clearly.

Argentina have had TV Coverage quite early.

Starting from the year 1951 as a Radio-Belgrano TV or with a shortened name by LR3-RBTV or by the name of LR3-TV, the Argentine Television have had quite a many changes since then.

Radio and TV parted ways in there from the 1961 onwards and then after short period of using the name of LS82-TV or LS 82 TV after the stations call sign, they began to use it's more famous name, meaning of course Canal 7.

It is hard to say anything about from the possible 1950s or 1960s broadcasts, but I think that the most earliest possible Grand Prix shown in Argentine Television were either test event race, meaning 1952 Buenos Aires Grand Prix or the actual 1953 Argentine Grand Prix.

Before television in there, there of course was newsreels, cinema and radio broadcasts when talking about broadcasts in Argentina.

As for the years of 1972-1980 situation in Argentina was a following one and there will be additional notes at the end:

1972: TV Coverage was a shared one between Canal 7 and Canal 13 or for the second mentioned channel, formerly known as a Rio de la Plata TV or RDLP-TV for the years of 1960-1963 and going of course by the nickname of El Trece, eventually becoming it's by-official channel name with Canal Trece and the channel was founded in year 1960.

1973: TV Coverage was a shared one between Canal 7 when having named as a Television Argentina and Canal 13.

1974: TV Coverage at least tentatively was a exclusive one for the Canal 7 or Television Argentina.

1975: TV Coverage was a shared one between Canal 7 or Television Argentina for the last time and Canal 13.

1976: TV Coverage at least tentatively was a exclusive one for the Canal 7 returning finally for it's more common name.

1977: TV Coverage at least tentatively was a exclusive one for the Canal 7.

1978: TV Coverage at least tentatively was a exclusive one for the Canal 7 and honoring the 1978 FIFA World Cup, that meant of course new name for it and so it was named as a Argentina 78-TV or as a A78-TV.

1979: TV Coverage at least tentatively was a exclusive one for the A78-TV and after 3.5.1979, every race for that channel meaned once again a new channel name and this time as a ATC or Argentina Televisora Color

1980: TV Coverage at least tentatively was a exclusive one for the ATC.

ATC continued to broadcast races to the year 1982 even after Carlos Reutemann's retirement from the on-spot after the famous 1982 Brazilian Grand Prix and also ATC broadcasted 6-9 races in Argentina from the 1983 season either from the early season or from the late season after the original broadcaster, meaning Canal 11 or more famously called as a Telefe, didn't have necessary funds to broadcast a whole season. Then either Telefe start or concluded the broadcasts for that season after gaining the necessary funds, but having a notorious fame, they lost any possibly rights for the 1984 season after pulling that whole stunt.

For the years of 1984-1987 races in Argentina at tentatively were broadcasted by Canal Libertad or Libertad TV, more commonly known as a Canal 9.

After the year of 1987 for the seasons of 1988-1990, F1 broadcasts in Argentine may have became very rare at least tentatively even though they finally had Oscar Larrauri for the races as per seasons 1988-1989 respectively.

And of course Larrauri had many changes to be in Formula 1 earlier back in 1980s.

ATC did broadcast surely at least two races from that period and they were 1988 Australian Grand Prix and 1990 Australian Grand Prix going by the name of Quinientos Gran Premio de Formula 1 when honoring then the 500th Grand Prix.

Races actually were surprisingly and quite a many times live broadcasts even after the Reutemann Retirement back in 1982.

At least Canal 13 and Canal 9 had a live coverage and from the most years, their home race as well for Canal 7.

I haven't searched much for a possible Costa Rica F1 TV Coverage, but they also possibly had some races broadcasted as well though possibly not much.

Costa Rica also had quite of a many regional and local channels which also is the case for the Argentina as well.

F1 TV Coverage in Uruguay is also quite interesting.

Uruguay have had it's races broadcasted at least since the 1982 season if not earlier, possibly it's first race being the 1982 Monaco Grand Prix because after the broadcaster, the Montecarlo TV or when avoiding mistaking it for a more famously Monégasque Montecarlo TV or just normally Tele-Montecarlo/TMC, Uruguay broadcaster went also by the name of Canal Quatro Monte Carlo Color or Canal 4 Monte Carlo Color sometimes dropping name Monte Carlo entirely doing the same for the name of Color when the color television did become more familiar and sufficient enough for everyone to possibly have a one.

Canal 4 possibly also may have had another race in 1982 to be it's first broadcast rather than Monaco and possibly there were many races even before the year of 1982 since TV has been in Uruguay since from the year of 1956 and when Montecarlo TV had it's broadcasts begin in 1961.

First channel in Uruguay was Canal 10.

Color Commentator for the Uruguay F1 coverage was Mario Uberti back in 1982 and many years after it. Possibly even earlier than that year.

Commentators for the Uruguay F1 coverage were at least for the 1986 Brazilian Grand Prix Diego Lamas and starting from the 1994 at least Flavio Bonavera.

F1 TV Coverage in Paraguay have had it's coverage beginning at least from the year of 1984 and continuing for the same channel at least up to the year of 1989.

Even though they may have had broadcasts in earlier at Paraguay.

F1 in Paraguay was broadcasted by TV Asuncion, better known as Canal 13, Canal El Trece or just by the name of Canal Trece. Other names for this particular channel were for the years of 1984-1987 RPT or Red Paraguaya de Televisión and for the years of 1987-1989 RPC or Red Privada de Comunicación.

I at least for time being, don't have any idea of possible broadcaster in Paraguay for the year of 1990, but in the year 1991 SNT or Sistema Nacional de Televisión took over the broadcast rights from the Canal Trece or from some other broadcaster by then.

SNT in Paraguay was the first channel back in 1965 for that nation.

As always in Paraguay they had a local channels too, but not that much unlike of Argentina, Uruguay or Costa Rica.

Maybe in upcoming weeks there will be more time to search coverage information for those mentioned countries or the other ones.

Edited by Blue6ix, 25 July 2020 - 22:02.

#148 kevins

kevins

• 146 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 10:51

I realise this is outside the scope of the thread, but still might be of interest, since there is discussion of Irish coverage

https://www.rte.ie/s...ormula-one-sun/

Article detailing our F1 coverage during the Jordan years

#149 GThomas00

GThomas00

• 42 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 12:14

1976 F1

British GP - aired highlights a week after the race on ITV in their World of Sport Programme, no live TV Coverage at all. (defantantly)

German GP?

Canadian GP - Globo did air live segments, TF1 did aired highlights and unknown on Canal 7, could a canadian TV company air coverage of the race as the host broadcaster?

Edited by GThomas00, 06 February 2021 - 12:32.

#150 nmansellfan

nmansellfan

• 433 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 19:55

1976 F1

British GP - aired highlights a week after the race on ITV in their World of Sport Programme, no live TV Coverage at all. (defantantly)
German GP?
Canadian GP - Globo did air live segments, TF1 did aired highlights and unknown on Canal 7, could a canadian TV company air coverage of the race as the host broadcaster?

I'm 99% sure the German GP wasn't broadcast, GThomas00. I'm sure I've seen a film clip of the start that glimpses a view of the empty platform that they usually mounted a broadcast camera on, in the Sudkehre infield - the one used for the shot of cars coming down the S/F straight and round the Sudkehre itself. The 1% uncertainty is from the B&W clip that captures the aftermath of Lauda's shunt, from behind. It's low down to the ground and not in a place they had a camera with the previous few years broadcasts, but it does have the immediate look of a video rather than film.