Photo

Le Mans resources

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 eps

eps

• 8 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:51

Off to Le Mans in a couple of weeks time, just wondering when the Autosport guide will be out, is it next week?

Have been looking around for Le Mans resources, has anyone found any useful Apps to download or that they can recommend?

Mainly for Android, as that's what I have, or possibly iOS as I'm sure some of my fellow attendees have iPhones and the suchlike.

Hoping that Toyota can take the battle to Audi...

:)

Advertisement

#2 Meanstreak

Meanstreak

• 454 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 23:23

Have been looking around for Le Mans resources, has anyone found any useful Apps to download or that they can recommend?

http://www.ten-tenth...ad.php?t=133424

Edited by Meanstreak, 06 June 2012 - 14:06.

#3 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 13:32

Yep, basically join ten-tenths.

Some of us are going to be touring the Toyota pit garage because of them :smoking:

#4 eps

eps

• 8 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:14

Cheers guys, I tried the two Apps mentioned on ten-tenths.

They're quite good!

Both quite different, so think I'll keep both installed.

Thanks once again.

#5 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,726 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:37

The Autosport guide will be out with tomorrows issue, as having it come out next Thursday would be too late for those that go there early in the week.

#6 Meanstreak

Meanstreak

• 454 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 14:04

Club Arnage guide:
http://www.clubarnage.com/caguide/

Spotterguides.com spotter guide will be out 8th June:
http://www.spottergu...m/le-mans-2012/

And somebody (ten-tenths.com thread) made this quite nice guide on his spare time:
https://www.dropbox......202012 v2.pdf

Edited by Meanstreak, 07 June 2012 - 09:07.

#7 eps

eps

• 8 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 21:26

I've downloaded the "ten-tenths" spotters guide, it's excellent and I've hardly read much of it yet!!! Well worth downloading.

The Le Mans Apps have been updated recently and have all photos of cars, driver line-ups, critique of every entry and a Navigation button, to get you to the circuit!

And all for free!

Excellent :)

#8 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:51

couple of circuit map printouts, couple of iteneraries. put them in seporate plastic sleaves so if one gets lost or mangled u got another :)
plus spotters guide etc, so much easier than a phones screen, specialy in bright sunlight, or when you got no battery :D

torch
bed roll matt, if you camping that will help reduce the ground sucking the heat out of you, i didnt have one and kept waking up at like 4am really cold :/

pen & paper so you can draw/write stuff with someone or make notes if you dont share the same language

get your tickets replaced so they dont turn black

take plenty of ear protection, i think you can get some eardefenders with a radio in, so u can follow the race. atleast take some foamy earplugs.

go to the drivers parade if you can, its insane :D

museum is good too

the town is beautiful, have a look around there :)
the grandstands where open on practise days and get progressively more locked down (or did in 09), so best view from the stands early on

write a pack list or print one off, then tick off items as you pack

dont leave valueables in your tent or on show

take good footware cos you will walk loads.

campsite water isnt considered a particulary good drinking water, so bare that in mind

I took one of those hidden money pouche things, probably a good idea to split where you keep your cash, like say 20euro in your backpack, 50euro in wallet, 10euro in a zippy up pocket somewhere

i think some of the cheapy poundland alike shops have a bunch of camping stuff in of reasonable quality dirt cheap atm

i can recommend a wash bag to carry all your toothbrush and shower gel etc, something you dont have to put down is good in the shower/toliet blocks xD

#9 eps

eps

• 8 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:17

Thanks for that...

I've only been going since '97....

#10 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:28

oh dont i look stupid now :p
might be good for newbies though :p

#11 eps

eps

• 8 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:10

oh dont i look stupid now :p
might be good for newbies though :p

not at all! I should have mentioned, but didn't think I'd get a reply like yours tbh..

Definitely some good info. there for Noobs! Carrefour and Super U supermarkets are "all over the place" now, so no real need to traipse into LM itself for supplies and the Decathlon stores sell excellent camping stuff. I think there are two of those now.

Oh and I usually try to have as minimal clothing and clobber to go to the showers, if on one of the campsites and shower gel with a hook!! plus all-in-one, gel + shampoo!!

It was more me looking for electronic and paper resources in addition to the Autosport Guide to Le Mans, which I actually feel has diminished over the years...

It's going to be a wet one this year as well!! Going on Tuesday, can't wait!!

Hopefully the Classic will be dry...

#12 king_crud

king_crud

• 8,062 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:33

thanks for those links, I'm heading to my first Le Mans this year. Isle of Man TT last week, Le Mans next week, two of my top bucket list events will be done.

#13 naiku

naiku

• 61 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 13:03

I'm heading to my first Le Mans this year.

You will have a great time, I went 4 times about 10 years ago. I wish I could go again sometime soon, but it's a far more expensive trip from the USA than it ever was from the UK.

#14 king_crud

king_crud

• 8,062 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 13:23

As a guide what would I expect to pay for a beer from a beer stand?

#15 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 16:02

alot more than normal i guess :/

when i went nearly everyone was drinking from little glass bottles in the campsite, they where cheapest in the hypermarkets.

#16 naiku

naiku

• 61 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 17:17

when i went nearly everyone was drinking from little glass bottles in the campsite, they where cheapest in the hypermarkets.

Yup, at the end of the week you will see an insane amount of small green bottles stacked in various shapes.

#17 eps

eps

• 8 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 18:38

Beermountain.com is your friend.

Although they've been a bit funny with glass bottles for the past couple of years because of an incident at the Moto 24hrs

#18 eps

eps

• 8 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 23:11

As a guide what would I expect to pay for a beer from a beer stand?

I think it was about 4.50 for a beer. As has been mentioned better to have a few at the campsites. Possibly 2.50 for a demi.

If you've got ACO memberhsip or an ACO grandstand seat, you will find the prices slightly reduced in their members only areas and the ACO grandstand vs. the rest of the circuit.

Edited by eps, 09 June 2012 - 11:52.

#19 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 15:38

It will be €4.50 or €5 for a beer, every car was searched when we arrived on the Tuesday last year, but by the end of the week it seemed that many people had been able to smuggle glass in.

However, you can by cans from Carrefour.

Advertisement

#20 eps

eps

• 8 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 18:07

I don't think we got searched, but they did do a few cursory glances into the car.

I'd love to see them try and persuade a fellow French person that they shouldn't drink wine out of a bottle... Ain't gonna happen!

#21 Jedi_F1

Jedi_F1

• 747 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 19:02

Well for those who love stats, driversinfo, from previous years & the current edition.

In FORIX we have uploaded all Le Mans 24 editions from 1959 - till now.
http://www.forix.com...p.php?l=0&d=600
Other years 1923-1958 will follow later.

Entrylist of 2012 is also uploaded and we are ready to cover the first sessions on wednesday!
http://www.forix.com...&...6002012&c=0

Support us & follow us on Facebook & Twitter:
http://www.facebook....161287130592326
https://twitter.com/#!/forix

Edited by Jedi_F1, 11 June 2012 - 19:02.

#22 arepb

arepb

• 2 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:15

A number of stream feeds and links that I use as my own personal 'dashboard' from which to watch the race:

http://reillybrennan...t-streams-entry

#23 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:58

sweet :)
now I got 3 23" screens, a 10" tablet, could borrow a netbook, and might order a 7" android tablet... will I have enough xD

#24 king_crud

king_crud

• 8,062 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:12

It will be €4.50 or €5 for a beer, every car was searched when we arrived on the Tuesday last year, but by the end of the week it seemed that many people had been able to smuggle glass in.

However, you can by cans from Carrefour.

Just looked, I got tickets to the private Travel Destinations campsite at the Posche Curves, they have their own bar selling beers for €4 each.