Photo

Marko: "This is like a death penalty for stealing a chicken!"

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
180 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you think about Marko saying this? (286 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think about Marko saying this?

1. Marko should apologise for this disproportional quote (230 votes [81.56%])

Percentage of vote: 81.56%

2. Marko is right, this comparison is absolutely appropriate (52 votes [18.44%])

Percentage of vote: 18.44%

Should it be possible to penalise team-members, if they talk inapporpriate in public

1. Yes (131 votes [46.45%])

Percentage of vote: 46.45%

2. No (151 votes [53.55%])

Percentage of vote: 53.55%

Vote

#1 zk12

zk12

• 319 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 16:51

Helmut Marko said in an interview, that the penalty for Vettel was like a death penalty for stealing a chicken.
What do you think about it?

Advertisement

#2 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,745 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 16:52

I don't know but I like his medieval choice of simile. After all we all know the FIA is a shell company operated by the Knights Templar.

Edited by Risil, 24 July 2012 - 16:53.

#3 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 16:54

Marko is taking the penalty a little too far. :lol:

#4 TheWilliamzer

TheWilliamzer

• 1,205 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 16:54

Poor Jean Valjean Vettel.

#5 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 16:57

Helmut Marko said in an interview, that the penalty for Vettel was like a death penalty for stealing a chicken.

I think he's a poor loser myself. :clap:

#6 Blackmadonna

Blackmadonna

• 125 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 17:00

Every time when you think RB can't get worse....

#7 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 17:00

Marko lives in an alternate universe. Vettel has lived a charmed life the last two seasons, rarely being penalised, he cops one very fair penalty and Marko is screaming conspiracy.

They were warned pre race about corner cutting at this track, and Vettel had been cutting the track all over the place leading up to his dodgy overtake.

#8 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,096 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 17:03

Marko is F1's version of Vice President Biden. Gaffe-central.

#9 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 17:04

:lol: I kinda like Marko.

He's frickin' nuts! Doesn't give two hoots!

#10 aray

aray

• 5,821 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 17:06

he is embarrassing not only himself,but RB too....:down:

#11 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 17:08

So he basically admits to stealing chicken, eh?

#12 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 17:10

That's putting the sport into disrepute.

#13 aray

aray

• 5,821 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 17:10

funny enough China had a policy of death sentence for stealing at some point....
but once the habit became rampant among lawmakers they became lenient.. :rotfl:

Edited by aray, 24 July 2012 - 17:11.

#14 Lights

Lights

• 17,876 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 17:13

Usually with people like Marko it doesn't take long before the hypocrisy becomes blatantly obvious.

#15 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 17:15

Not everyone was in agreement on what transpired after the race, and not just on fan side of that issue. We all expressing ourselves differently, and little tolerance could not hurt, even as it sometimes bring smile on our faces.

#16 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 27,554 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 17:17

Posted Image
"This is like a death penalty for stealing a chicken!"

#17 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 17:23

Not everyone was in agreement on what transpired after the race, and not just on fan side of that issue. We all expressing ourselves differently, and little tolerance could not hurt, even as it sometimes bring smile on our faces.

I can tolerate Frans. Marko is out of question. But saying that, I indeed had a good laugh at the analogy. Actually it IS funny. But not true at all.

#18 BigBadBless

BigBadBless

• 301 posts

He shouldn't have to apologise, but obviously his quote is totally wrong. The thing is, who actually cares what this guy says anymore than I care about what some fat bloke down the pub thinks?

#19 britishtrident

britishtrident

• 1,954 posts

The guy has just proved everything a lot of people suspected about him.

As for punishment for such remarks that would be making the FIA look as over the top as Marko.

Advertisement

#20 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 17:24

Except you know ahead of time this is the penalty for stealing a chicken. So...

#21 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,551 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 17:26

Shut up Marko.

Go sit in parliament or something where people expect you to talk rubbish.

#22 Lazy

Lazy

• 6,729 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 17:26

Lulz :D

#23 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 17:27

This BB is obviously not going to be let by anyone convinced, that penalty was excessive or, wholly terror, even perhaps wrong. Marko is favorite punching bag for long time for those who need frustration to let out. Good luck with that, and then perhaps we can start a thread how much good stuff he has actually done on behalf of RBR. :)

Edited by Sakae, 24 July 2012 - 17:29.

#24 TheNewStig

TheNewStig

• 557 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 17:29

Uncle Helmut is the stolen chicken here but nobody miss him.

#25 choyothe

choyothe

• 2,312 posts

It's worse than that. There should be a penalty for stealing a chicken.

#26 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,096 posts

Is the chicken alive or dead? Because I know plenty of farmers who would happily raise their 12 bore to poachers.

#27 Skellen

Skellen

• 513 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 17:30

Honestly, I am fed up with a regular PR talk which in F1 is very common. I'm not against if sometimes any driver/person associated in any way with sport breaks the rules and doesnt talk like a PR robot, as long as that given person doesnt openly insult somebody. This quote is on the balance and while I agree that Marko sometimes resembles the crazy old, the comparison isnt that scandalous in my opinion.

#28 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 27,554 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 17:32

It's worse than that. There should be a penalty for stealing a chicken.

This is a good point: "Marko admits Vettel was wrong (but penalised too harshly)".

#29 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 17:35

This BB is obviously not going to be let by anyone convinced, that penalty was excessive or, wholly terror, even perhaps wrong. Marko is favorite punching bag for long time for those who need frustration to let out. Good luck with that, and the perhaps we can start a thread how much good stuff he has actually done on behalf of RBR. :)

Sakae, with all due respect, really, what the bat's behind good has he done since he is lurking in the paddock? He is not a decision maker, the only territory he has is the juniour program, and apart from snatching Vettel, he has done more harm than good in that field even. All he ever does is smirk to the media. When they were dominating(for two years), he has intentionally and cruelly rubbed the salt in more than I can count. All he has achieved, IMHO, is that SV is starting to sound like him nowadays. He is Mateschitz's lapdog and casts his shadow in the RB garage.

#30 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 17:35

What Marko said was that under the rulebook the stewards only had one punishment available to them, 20 seconds added on to Vettel's time and that in his opinion is the equivalent of a death penalty for stealing a chicken. What's he's implying is that the stewards are limited in what they can do, for example, they can't just reverse the Vettel/Button finishing order. They can't add 5 seconds (which would achieve the same ie reversing the order). It has to be 20.

A couple of people mocking Marko have actually posted the exact same complaints in this forum, THAT is what is funny :)

Edited by engel, 24 July 2012 - 17:36.

#31 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,096 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 17:37

This BB is obviously not going to be let by anyone convinced, that penalty was excessive or, wholly terror, even perhaps wrong. Marko is favorite punching bag for long time for those who need frustration to let out. Good luck with that, and then perhaps we can start a thread how much good stuff he has actually done on behalf of RBR. :)

"There are two sides to every story—and then there’s the truth".

#32 Tony Mandara

Tony Mandara

• 10,418 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 17:38

As long as it wasn't my chicken.....!!!!

#33 juandiego

juandiego

• 404 posts

I agree with him: the penalty was exaggerated; however, the standard one for that offence. If he truly believe this never should be this way, he must admit that Vettel didn't deserve the 2010 WDC title as it also came from a similar penalty to Alonso in Silverstone that made him lose more points than the final points gap between both.

#34 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,951 posts

Marko admits to the stealing of a chicken. So that's fair enough. The chicken was 2nd place, it belonged to Button, Vettel stole it, so Button gets his chicken back.

So the question is what should the penalty be for stealing a second-placed chicken. The death penalty? Marko claims that's what Vettel had. But what is the death penalty? Something that prevents you from living. In motor racing terms, that would be a lifetime ban. Vettel has not had that. So it's not like the death penalty for stealing a chicken.

Vettel had a 20s penalty. Which was basically to take the stolen chicken away, and also take a few eggs and maybe a young rooster as well. If the only punishment for galline theft were restitution of individual, people would steal chickens all the time, knowing the worst that could happen is the status ante quo would be restored. And, fingers crossed, they'd get away with it and would be up by a chicken.

So, it's not like the death penalty for stealing a chicken, it's the restitution of chicken plus a fine for stealing a chicken.

In summary, it was fowl play.

#35 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,951 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 17:39

Is the chicken alive or dead?

You are Erwin Schroedinger and I claim my £5.

#36 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,096 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 17:40

Marko admits to the stealing of a chicken. So that's fair enough. The chicken was 2nd place, it belonged to Button, Vettel stole it, so Button gets his chicken back.

So the question is what should the penalty be for stealing a second-placed chicken. The death penalty? Marko claims that's what Vettel had. But what is the death penalty? Something that prevents you from living. In motor racing terms, that would be a lifetime ban. Vettel has not had that. So it's not like the death penalty for stealing a chicken.

Vettel had a 20s penalty. Which was basically to take the stolen chicken away, and also take a few eggs and maybe a young rooster as well. If the only punishment for galline theft were restitution of individual, people would steal chickens all the time, knowing the worst that could happen is the status ante quo would be restored. And, fingers crossed, they'd get away with it and would be up by a chicken.

So, it's not like the death penalty for stealing a chicken, it's the restitution of chicken plus a fine for stealing a chicken.

In summary, it was fowl play.

Oh to stoop so low as a chicken pun.

#37 Piffles

Piffles

• 45 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 17:43

I would suggest Marko go find something to do with a chicken while the rest of us enjoy motor racing.

#38 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

I find it entertaining. Even though it is rubbish. F1 was never and (hopefully) never will be pc.

#39 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,096 posts

Well then I am a dead Austrian physicist, therefore i cannot dispense you the 5 British pounds you request. :p

Edited by JRizzle86, 24 July 2012 - 17:44.

Advertisement

#40 aray

aray

• 5,821 posts

What Marko said was that under the rulebook the stewards only had one punishment available to them, 20 seconds added on to Vettel's time and that in his opinion is the equivalent of a death penalty for stealing a chicken. What's he's implying is that the stewards are limited in what they can do, for example, they can't just reverse the Vettel/Button finishing order. They can't add 5 seconds (which would achieve the same ie reversing the order). It has to be 20.

A couple of people mocking Marko have actually posted the exact same complaints in this forum, THAT is what is funny :)

mocking for the way he puts it......sure there are lots of room with penalty flexibility that can be applied.....
but this marko guy is the type who wouldn't react even if his neighborhood getting burnt, but would sure complain if his house caught the fire too...only then he will 'discover' that there is actually a problem....that's the vibe i get when he open his mouth... :smoking:

#41 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 17:44

Sakae, with all due respect, really, what the bat's behind good has he done since he is lurking in the paddock? He is not a decision maker, the only territory he has is the juniour program, and apart from snatching Vettel, he has done more harm than good in that field even. All he ever does is smirk to the media. When they were dominating(for two years), he has intentionally and cruelly rubbed the salt in more than I can count. All he has achieved, IMHO, is that SV is starting to sound like him nowadays. He is Mateschitz's lapdog and casts his shadow in the RB garage.

I think it comes down to perception. He got some bad name initially for not well wording which got out, media picked up on that, and he became (undeservedly IMO) one of the most hated people on this BB. In reality, if you read on his F1-related work, he is a likable, and a decent person. People might not like it, but I would be happy to hear that Sebastian is emulating Marko's good moves. I am not sure how much influence he has at RBR, but you must admit that they have done well with him being around. It's tough to say - despite of him, but who knows wherein the truth lies.

#42 beanoid

beanoid

• 5,247 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 17:46

galline theft

:lol: :up: :kiss:

#43 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 27,554 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 17:47

Which isn't quite true - they can impose whatever penalty they want. If they impose a post-race drive through, then it must be 20s. But they can impose a post race time penalty of whatever they fancy.

Guilty as charged :D But I didn't stoop to such silly hyperbole. And Marko's hardly got a great history when it comes to this kind of thing (his defence of Vettel regardless of circumstances is matched only by 1 other person I can think of), so I think a bit of a laugh at his expense is more than fair enough.

(and for what it's worth I completely disagree with the notion that he should apologise for his sillyness, let alone be penalised for it)

#44 choyothe

choyothe

• 2,312 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 17:49

This is a good point: "Marko admits Vettel was wrong (but penalised too harshly)".

Exactly, if anything old Helmut should've backed his team up much more vigorously. :cool:

#45 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 17:50

Posted Image

#46 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,934 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 18:05

Which isn't quite true - they can impose whatever penalty they want. If they impose a post-race drive through, then it must be 20s. But they can impose a post race time penalty of whatever they fancy.

Really? I didn't realise that, I thought the drive thru was mandatory for off track overtaking/advantage. In that case I'm with Marko, he's spot on.

#47 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 18:09

Which isn't quite true - they can impose whatever penalty they want.

I think it was discussed around Monaco 2010, with Schumi's penalty, and I m pretty sure Damon (who was in the stewards panel at the time) had said the time penalty is only available to them in cases of speeding (in the pit lane, behind the safety car etc). In illegal overtakes the minimum is a drive through and from there it escalates to grid penalties for collisions etc

Edited by engel, 24 July 2012 - 18:10.

#48 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 3,624 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 18:13

I know i know... is Marko.

But... we don't have fair penaltys,or they miss or is a big one for "nothing".

Vettel just needed to lose one position.

#49 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 18:13

Stealing a second place with an illegal pass has a much bigger financial impact than stealing a chicken

#50 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 18:21

Really? I didn't realise that, I thought the drive thru was mandatory for off track overtaking/advantage. In that case I'm with Marko, he's spot on.

It is, and was, no? I mean because there is no other to choose from, the "standard" post-race 20'. That seems to be the problem. Simply giving back the position gained would be a logical and sound decision. Saying that, my problem is with RB's and Marko's whining is that they knew that to be the case, and nobody bothered to tell SV to give it back himself. They had time to do that, this is by no means a decision a driver should make on his own, someone should have told him to swap back as soon as JB complained on the radio, if not before, really. THAT is why it is not a harsh penalty, methinks. SV did not deserve it, but unfortunately, his team had, in a sense.