Photo

If Robert Kubica makes a comeback and wins WDC, how high would you rate him then?

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 Krr

Krr

• 669 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 15:33

Let's assume it's an end of 2014 or 2015 campaing and guess who is new WDC? Yes, Robert Kubica. Just in his second season after comeback he amazed the world and after stunnig drive throughout year he finally got it. What would be your opinion about a guy then? Still average, among best as he was before, the best, a legend?

I know it may sound like a dream at the moment as we don't know what is going on with him and his chances of coming back seems to be very low but just pretend it happend. It is a summer break right? :)

Advertisement

#2 PorcupineTroy

PorcupineTroy

• 302 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 15:51

Depends completely on how it was won.

#3 STIGG

STIGG

• 297 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 15:53

I wouldn't rate him too highly IF Stirling Moss had come out of retirement and taken the title the previous year. :rolleyes:

This feels like the longest summer break ever :cry:

#4 TheWilliamzer

TheWilliamzer

• 1,205 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 15:55

I won't rate him higher than what he's now. He's the best, 2010 was a season where he showed his abilities and what he's made of.

#5 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 16:03

I'd rate him as a WDC. And Polish.

New question:

If Juan Manuel Fangio would return and win a sixth title, how would you rate him and would your religious view change?

Edited by LuckyStrike1, 14 August 2012 - 16:04.

#6 Suntrek

Suntrek

• 1,796 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 16:05

Which team did he drive for?

No driver is bigger than his team, so I'd say this team (whichever it is he drove for) did a mighty good job.

That said, Kubica was a brilliant driver who probably could have won the WDC if the team in question he was driving for could have delivered a WDC-winning car.

This sadly didn't happen when he was a F1-driver.

The question is a stupid as "how would you rate Pironi today if he won the WDC?" And as much as I'd like to see Kubica gobsmack both Kimi and Grosjean in this year's Lotus, (he would, undoubtedly) this isn´t going to happen. I might just as well claim Ayrton Senna as a teammate to Alonso to see who comes out on top.

It's dreams and it wont happen. :)

Edited by Suntrek, 14 August 2012 - 16:39.

#7 hammibal

hammibal

• 1,857 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 16:59

Let's assume it's an end of 2014 or 2015 campaing and guess who is new WDC? Yes, Robert Kubica. Just in his second season after comeback he amazed the world and after stunnig drive throughout year he finally got it. What would be your opinion about a guy then? Still average, among best as he was before, the best, a legend?

I know it may sound like a dream at the moment as we don't know what is going on with him and his chances of coming back seems to be very low but just pretend it happend. It is a summer break right? :)

I dont think he would neccessarily need to comeback and win the WDC to prove how good he was, he was always good, it would be good to see him comeback as he was before

#8 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 17:12

Let's assume it's an middle of 2012 or 2012 summer break and guess what is posted on Autosport forums? Yes, things that make me lose all hope in humanity.

#9 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 17:26

I already rate him as one of the toughest and most competent drivers to enter F1 in the last decade. And I also think he was still on a learning curve and hadn't peaked yet.

#10 MaxCrazyEddieCayer

MaxCrazyEddieCayer

• 436 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 17:57

Aint gonna happen. What a waste of time really! Or what about if Murray Walker came back to the commentary booth, would he makes as many murrayism and would it be as funny as the first time around?... Bring on Spa and fast please!!!

#11 KUBICASFAN

KUBICASFAN

• 13 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 18:00

HE'LL be a legend - but its not gonna happen....

#12 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 18:01

He won't. People who invented summer break realy didn't think this one through.

#13 sesku

sesku

• 289 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 18:27

He will never made a comeback let alone win a WDC. Many young driver with money on the line for race seat. Even probability for Felipa Massa to win WDC much higher than Kubica make a comeback. Let him go mate. :wave:

#14 Man of the race

Man of the race

• 1,570 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 18:47

Wasn't he supposed to come back in the middle of last year?

#15 Starish

Starish

• 1,779 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 19:22

The question is a stupid as "how would you rate Pironi today if he won the WDC?" And as much as I'd like to see Kubica gobsmack both Kimi and Grosjean in this year's Lotus, (he would, undoubtedly) this isn´t going to happen. I might just as well claim Ayrton Senna as a teammate to Alonso to see who comes out on top.

Sir... can I please have some of what you are smoking, Kimi is top tier, Kubica is a great driver but probably only on Jensons level.

#16 Bunchies

Bunchies

• 1,501 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 20:24

Sir... can I please have some of what you are smoking, Kimi is top tier, Kubica is a great driver but probably only on Jensons level.

I am also of the opinion that Kubica would have beaten both of them. :smoking:

#17 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 20:30

No point me really giving an answer, Robert is never coming back to F1.

Its an awful shame and waste of a great talent but there's nothing anyone can do, his F1 career is sadly over. :(

#18 hammibal

hammibal

• 1,857 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 20:33

There's a strong arguement to say that Kimi is on Massa/Grosjean level

#19 TheNewStig

TheNewStig

• 557 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 20:35

I would rate him as a WDC.
Like Keke Rosberg,Alan Jones,Lewis Hamilton,Jenson Button and Denny Hulme.

Advertisement

#20 FA and RK fan

FA and RK fan

• 255 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 20:43

@ OP

I'll give you a rude answer unfu*****possible. End of story. As much as i would like to see it happen.

#21 Starish

Starish

• 1,779 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 22:20

There's a strong arguement to say that Kimi is on Massa/Grosjean level

I am also of the opinion that Kubica would have beaten both of them. :smoking:

I like Kubica.... but there is no proof in all of the world that even says he is on Kimi's level.... not even in rally is he on his level..... Kubica has 1 lucky win courtesy of who? Kimi Raikkonen, 1 pole which he couldn't convert to a win, 1 fastest lap, and 12 podiums..... compared to Kimi he has had similar types of machinery compared to the field in their first five seasons wit an exception of the mp4-20 but even taking that season out, Kimi's first four compared to Kubica first five show the difference in potential of the driver.

#22 OO7

OO7

• 23,407 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 22:35

:lol:

#23 karne

karne

• 2,040 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 22:46

Irrelevant question. He won't be back and even if he does make it back he certainly won't be jumping straight into a WDC car. Whether his fans like it or not Kubica is now so far down the list it's not funny. There are other talented young drivers who are now ahead of him in the queue.

#24 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,966 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 23:34

Let's assume it's

Guy I worked for many years ago told me once, "Never assume anything."...............

#25 ForeverF1

ForeverF1
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,580 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 23:45

Irrelevant question. He won't be back and even if he does make it back he certainly won't be jumping straight into a WDC car. Whether his fans like it or not Kubica is now so far down the list it's not funny. There are other talented young drivers who are now ahead of him in the queue.

This is a good point, Robert has shown, by his reluctance to engage with his fans, that he treats them with disdain.

#26 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:52

I would call him a very lucky man, which he already is imho by surviving such an accident.

#27 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:54

Robert Kubica is F1 history and was from the moment his rally car hit the barrier. We all know there's no room in F1 for drivers with any kind of disability, it's time for his fans to move on.

#28 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,279 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:04

This is a good point, Robert has shown, by his reluctance to engage with his fans, that he treats them with disdain.

He hasn't show that at all. Just because you're reluctant to engage with somebody doesn't mean you're treating them with disdain. If I broke my arm tomorrow I certainly would be reluctant to share my progress with people I don't know. Robert's injuries are very personal to him, and so anybody who expects him to be open about them, as if they have an entitlement to know what is going on every step of the way, is treating him with disdain.

Edited by Muppetmad, 15 August 2012 - 09:05.

#29 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:21

He hasn't show that at all. Just because you're reluctant to engage with somebody doesn't mean you're treating them with disdain. If I broke my arm tomorrow I certainly would be reluctant to share my progress with people I don't know. Robert's injuries are very personal to him, and so anybody who expects him to be open about them, as if they have an entitlement to know what is going on every step of the way, is treating him with disdain.

Kubica also had problems with his relationship with Lotus/Renault. I can't remember the full details, but his team apparently didn't have much contact with him and despite racing twice only yards from his home, he's never shown his face at the Monaco GP. All drivers train to work with PR and journalists, many from teenagers. Do you really expect F1 teams to work with a trappist monk?

#30 britishtrident

britishtrident

• 1,954 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:31

Time to close this thread ?

#31 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 11,798 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:40

:rotfl: :rotfl: So true

#32 BRG

BRG

• 25,949 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:04

Time to close this thread ?

I'll vote for that option!

Pointless thread, even for a summer break.

#33 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,279 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:05

Kubica also had problems with his relationship with Lotus/Renault. I can't remember the full details, but his team apparently didn't have much contact with him and despite racing twice only yards from his home, he's never shown his face at the Monaco GP. All drivers train to work with PR and journalists, many from teenagers. Do you really expect F1 teams to work with a trappist monk?

That's a fair enough criticism, Kubica had an obligation to Lotus/Renault since he was under contract with them and if they weren't getting the information they requested then an issue can be found there. The assertion that he has an obligation to his fans, though, is what I disagree with.

#34 intothepits

intothepits

• 409 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:06

It would be interesting... But unlikely.

The dream of dreams in F1 is if Rubens gets a seat in the next couple of years somehow.... Finds himself in a great car and clenches the title.

now that'd be something.

#35 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,839 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:35

Then he'd have to be rated very highly, wouldn't he. I never rated Kubica but you can't argue with a world championship.

However, it's not going to happen. Kubica is probably never going to drive in F1 again. Firstly, it's unknown whether he'll ever be able to drive an F1 car competitively again, and secondly, he's probably already old news for the teams. Sad but probably true.

#36 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,656 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:25

:rotfl:

Bravo Sakae... bravo. :up:

#37 thiscocks

thiscocks

• 1,489 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:29

If my auntie had bollocks she'd be my uncle

#38 Peter3hg

Peter3hg

• 296 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:37

Interestingly the longer Kubica is away from the sport, the greater his talent seems to become. By the end of 2015 some people will be declaring him the greatest driver ever to live even if he hasn't set foot in a car by then.

#39 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 11,798 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:42

Interestingly the longer Kubica is away from the sport, the greater his talent seems to become. By the end of 2015 some people will be declaring him the greatest driver ever to live even if he hasn't set foot in a car by then.

If you don't drive you cannot make mistakes ...

Advertisement

#40 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:19

This is phenomenon someone one day will write thesis on, if they didn’t already, and it’s not unique to Kubica. As much as I do not wish to diminish greatness of Senna, however I suspect that fame attached to his name grew significantly more in similar manner after his passing due to never-ending re-telling stories about him by his fans. This is quite normal, as people improve upon perception of history every time when story comes up.
Kubica has large Polish following in here, and in 2009/2010 there were launched frequent polls, all with earmarks of their design that magnified Kubica's micro accomplishment, regardless what helicopter-like view would tell you where this driver actually stood on macro scale in the world of F1 auto-racing.

Edited by Sakae, 16 August 2012 - 11:42.

#41 smoothcrim

smoothcrim

• 426 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:49

HE WOULD BE THE GREATEST SUPER BESTEST ATHLETE ON THE PLANET PRAISE THE LORD HALLELUJAH AMEN

#42 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 13:44

Is space monkey's attack and then one of them wins the WDC... oh I can't be bothered.

Bob was a great driver. Nasty accident, comeback unlikely.

#43 zawisza

zawisza

• 576 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 13:58

HE WOULD BE THE GREATEST SUPER BESTEST ATHLETE ON THE PLANET PRAISE THE LORD HALLELUJAH AMEN

Sarcasm justified.

#44 schubacca

schubacca

• 837 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 14:05

He aint coming back.

That saddens me, but everything that I am reading indicates setback after setback.

New blood is continuously entering F1.

I fear that his time is done :(

#45 zachary2142

zachary2142

• 245 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 16:30

If my grandma had a moustache she would be my grandpa. Sorry, a translated Polish saying :)
This summer break is a nightmare with threads like these.

EDIT:

If my auntie had bollocks she'd be my uncle

Ah I see I'm not the first one. I like this one better.

Bring on Spa please!

Edited by zachary2142, 15 August 2012 - 16:35.

#46 karne

karne

• 2,040 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:56

As my dad says:

"Everyone is wonderful after they're dead." Or in this case, finished in F1.

#47 intothepits

intothepits

• 409 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:54

Maybe this thread should have been "IF rubens made a comeback and wins WDC", kinda cool how the R matches.

Anyway.... As for Robert, i feel for him yet when he was in F1 he did not particularly impress me personality wise, even his racing was... while good, not palatially something you'd shout out "WOW WOW WOW".

I hope Robert makes a return, but... Id rather The other guy with a name that begins with R made a comeback, yes rubens.

Rubens Barrichello was, in a way, unfairly shafted out of F1 mainly down to the thing thats governing most of us.... Money.

If massa leaves, Ferrari im telling you, get that Rubens in your car, he will be much closer to Alonso than what Massa is doing atm..... OR any other team that needs a.... lets say.... second driver,... Rubens is your man

But by second driver I don't mean just literally "lets use him as point scorer".

Let's actually use him as a driver for your team and make him possibly win a WDC.

Infact... I know for a fact.... Rubens in place of Schumacher would be the best thing that team right now. and he would be matching Rosberg and even possibly winning races (when the tires are right of course)

oh and yes i'm a Rubens fan, but don't feel what i'm saying is entirely unrealistic.

#48 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:22

Show's how lucky Webber was really..

He was hit by a car but turned his body and also was very fortunate that it was his right leg that was broken and not his left.. the left leg requires a lot of strength for the brake pedal.

The thing with Webber, is that he never missed an F1 race because of his injury.

And Kubica loses his whole career. :(

#49 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 2,458 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:42

He won;t come back. Period.

#50 Tony Mandara

Tony Mandara

• 10,420 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:02

A whole thread (or should we say 'flight of fancy?') just to shoehorn this in??!! Oh, the humanity!!

But in the spirit (and rules!) of the board, to answer your one question;-

I'd rate him as a WDC. Nothing more nothing less.