Photo

Would you like to see MS do some Le Mans, NASCAR, etc.?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you like to see MS do other racing series after F1 (105 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to see MS do other racing series after F1

1. YES (57 votes [54.29%])

Percentage of vote: 54.29%

2. NO (48 votes [45.71%])

Percentage of vote: 45.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Kucki

Kucki

• 1,472 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 14:05

What a shame. What a great carreer coming to an end this way. A car that is slow and brakes down everytime he was on the road to points. Penaltys in the worst situations. All the luck he had in his first career karma took away in his second. But that was undeserving. You would think another couple of seasons in the Sauber or Williams would give a more representative look of him then the way he has to retire now.

And he had not had to retire anyway. Just lost motivation with all this stupid mechanical failures, and if you think about it of course he lost motivation.

Here is a man who has driven 950hp monsters, V12s, reaching 370km/h more power then grip. Legendary tracks, unforgiving tracks. Tracks were there is an edge of gravel and sand, where risk management makes you fast. How is he supposed to be motivated driving the cars of today, these low power, low high speed cars were your immediately stuck at 310 km/h on the longest straights in history, way too much grip, overtaking done by artificial driving aids, driving on these uninspiring car parks.

Having experience with GT cars, he could have some fun in Le Mans or NASCAR. But how would it look like if the 7 times Champion gets beaten by lower rated drivers. Personally I wouldnt care, I can rate the difficulty of switching disciplines in racing. But alot of people racing is all the same. They would think how can he lose, he must not have been good.

Edited by Kucki, 02 November 2012 - 14:23.

Advertisement

#2 Nahnever

Nahnever

• 260 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 14:07

DTM

#3 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,899 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 14:28

Indycars: he will never gonna do that. Even in his prime he never wanted to do the Indy 500 because of Indy's walls. And apart from Long Beach, Indycars has nothing to offer that can be of any importance to him to add to his list of achievements than Indy.
And with even more ovals for NASCAR then at Indy we can exclude NASCRAP too: besides that, NASCRAP is for Southeners or at least US born drivers.
For the NASCRAP fans he would not be Michael Schuey but; Michael Whoey?

I am not sure but I also recall that he has once stated that Le Mans is not his cup of tea either anymore after having it done once with Sauber.

And I'm pretty sure that should he do DTM that a lot of more outspoken anti-MS people out here will remember us about his guest race back in the early part of his career in which he helped to secure another Mercedes driver to become champion....

Which means.... accept a return after a too early retirement

Henri

Edited by Henri Greuter, 02 November 2012 - 14:28.

#4 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 14:28

yes and i think he will. maybe not american series tho.

come join Toyota :D

#5 montoyasminion

montoyasminion

• 387 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 14:30

What V12 F1 car has he ever driven?

And forget DTM, I'd like to see him win Le Mans.

#6 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 14:32

...besides that, NASCRAP is for Southeners or at least US born drivers.

Henri

You're an idiot.

#7 schubacca

schubacca

• 837 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 14:41

Indycars: he will never gonna do that. Even in his prime he never wanted to do the Indy 500 because of Indy's walls. And apart from Long Beach, Indycars has nothing to offer that can be of any importance to him to add to his list of achievements than Indy.
And with even more ovals for NASCAR then at Indy we can exclude NASCRAP too: besides that, NASCRAP is for Southeners or at least US born drivers.

I am not sure but I also recall that he has once stated that Le Mans is not his cup of tea either anymore after having it done once with Sauber.

And I'm pretty sure that should he do DTM that a lot of more outspoken anti-MS people out here will remember us about his guest race back in the early part of his career in which he helped to secure another Mercedes driver to become champion....

Which means.... accept a return after a too early retirement

Henri

I am not a massive NASCAR fan, but respect should be given and no name-calling.

I heard a rumor years ago that MS did take a NASCAR around the track just for fun.

I would like him to do LeMans

#8 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,899 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 14:41

You're an idiot.

OK, NASCRAP is perhaps a bit too hard, I'll give you that.

But how many European drivers have been particiapiting in that series?
And more important: how many would have been welcomed by the fans of that series?
You know just as well as I that this so called stock (Cough cough cough) car racing is a domestic championship which suits just about everybody who supports that series.
Just like DTM is pretty much a domestic series if it comes to the participating car brands the way...

Henri

Edited by Henri Greuter, 02 November 2012 - 14:43.

#9 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,899 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 14:48

I am not a massive NASCAR fan, but respect should be given and no name-calling.

I heard a rumor years ago that MS did take a NASCAR around the track just for fun.

I would like him to do LeMans

Point taken.
But I wonder if Le Mans has ever been on his agenda after that one year with Sauber.
You would think that had he ever mentioned it or suggesting that he was willing to consider Le Mans, then Audi would have been more than willing to sign him up, even for le Mans only. Even if it was only to rub it in to mercedes that MS could't win Le Mans with a Merc but eventually he did it with an Audi.

Henri

#10 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 14:54

What V12 F1 car has he ever driven?

And forget DTM, I'd like to see him win Le Mans.

He drove a 412 T2 around Fiorano when he joined Ferrari (in white unbranded overalls), but he never raced a V12 in F1

#11 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 14:54

dario, max papis
plus the honourary europeans like montoya and piquet

besides nascar has filtered 95% of the usa talent, so the average driver in cup is actually pretty good

#12 schubacca

schubacca

• 837 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 15:08

Point taken.
But I wonder if Le Mans has ever been on his agenda after that one year with Sauber.
You would think that had he ever mentioned it or suggesting that he was willing to consider Le Mans, then Audi would have been more than willing to sign him up, even for le Mans only. Even if it was only to rub it in to mercedes that MS could't win Le Mans with a Merc but eventually he did it with an Audi.

Henri

I think that MS has lost faith in Merc as a racing outfit.

Audi, or dare I say it Ferrari, sounds nicer.

I think that it all depends on his outlook. Does he still yearn to race? I would not be surprised to see him disappear all together..

#13 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,899 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 15:10

dario, max papis
plus the honourary europeans like montoya and piquet

besides nascar has filtered 95% of the usa talent, so the average driver in cup is actually pretty good

Not to downgrade but that are just 2 europeans and two South Americans. And likely some Canadians may have participated too; JVi comes to mind for a few races.

But you are right: A lot of the popularity of NASCAR in the USA is due to the high rate of American born drivers. To gain and retain popularity on home ground they did a much better job the CART and whatever names that organisation got and IRL in which eventually way too less American top drivers participated that the average American houshold was familiar with. No denying in NASCAR doing a better job in that. And doing a lot for American drivers. let that be said.
I critisized them for being a domestic Series that would not appeal to Schuey. But in being domestic, unlike the singelseaters series, NASCAR did do a number of things better in remaining domectic and popular with the home crowd then the single seater series did in the past 20 years.
I have absolutely no hesitations and difficulties to post that down here too. But despite all the goods they have for many, I've seen them race and I hope I'll never ever have to go through such an (noise!) ordeal ever again. I like paved Oval racing quite a bit but I have had enough NASCAR in real for the rest of my live.

Now, I apologize for derailing the topic, shall we go back to Michael in other series as from here on?

Henri

Edited by Henri Greuter, 02 November 2012 - 15:10.

#14 panzani

panzani

• 18,732 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 15:10

Yes ... just because that would definitely bury Dick Dastardly er skills...

#15 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 15:33

He said no more to automotive competition, and that should put all speculations to bed.

#16 sesku

sesku

• 289 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 15:59

I think on his retirement speech, he already mention that he will never racing professionally again.

#17 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,346 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 16:02

A future of dressage awaits.

#18 Victor

Victor

• 1,006 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 16:11

Schumacher back to sport cars, yes of course. I hope he does Le Mans.

#19 Creepy

Creepy

• 582 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 16:14

Not that I really care much, and I don't think I'd follow him, but I think If I were him I'd try Nascar and change the air I breath, and that stuff.

Advertisement

#20 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 16:24

Schumacher got tired of the new challenge at Mercedes F1, he likely wouldn't have the patience to do NASCAR the right way which is to start at the bottom and climb the ladder.

How much fun would he experience following in the footsteps of Piquet Jr. and Danica Patrick?

It's just not gonna happen lol.. at this point I think even DTM would be too much for his ego.

The only things I can see him do after he's bored doing nothing is one-offs like Le Mans, for instance.

#21 Gfhuus

Gfhuus

• 118 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 16:35

The only things I can see him do after he's bored doing nothing is one-offs like Le Mans, for instance.

+1

How sweet would it be to see Schumi and Loeb battling it out at Le Mans :smoking:

#22 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,346 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 19:54

Get on the phone to Todt and make it happen.

#23 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 20:01

You guys are ignoring that he really missess his life with family. Not too long ago he said that his wife is involved in horse riding competition, he would like to be there with her, and instead he is on some locations overseas. I think he has reached that stage in his life, when he has made enough money to stay independent, travelled whole world many time over, but what he had three years ago he now wants back. I have no problem to take him at his word.

Edited by Sakae, 02 November 2012 - 20:01.

#24 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 20:14

They need to get the GP Masters series up and running again, have it as an F1 support race on say 50% of the tracks (mainly the old classic ones)

Get Schumi, Hakkinen, DC, Patrese, Brundle, Frentzen, Alesi, Berger and many others into it and I bet it would be better than F1 currently is. ;)

#25 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,397 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 20:19

No, he's already tarnished his legacy enough.

#26 TheWilliamzer

TheWilliamzer

• 1,205 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 20:25

No, I want him to be a happy family man. He gave F1 a lot.

#27 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,194 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 20:27

I think these last three years have been highly charged and emotional in both directions. I think they have certainly given him what he needed in terms of competitive racing to make him no longer interested in it. He's getting no younger either.

I'd be really surprised if he went back into racing. Before you look around he'll be pushing 50.

... and for these reasons, no, I don't wish to see him racing again. I wish to see him move on to other things.

#28 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,194 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 20:28

They need to get the GP Masters series up and running again, have it as an F1 support race on say 50% of the tracks (mainly the old classic ones)

Get Schumi, Hakkinen, DC, Patrese, Brundle, Frentzen, Alesi, Berger and many others into it and I bet it would be better than F1 currently is.;)

I'm sure that he would do this as he currently participates in RoC. This would be great, but not entire seasons for cripe's sake. Perhaps 5 or so events for the year.

#29 Schumacher7

Schumacher7

• 776 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 22:15

Get Schumi, Hakkinen, DC, Patrese, Brundle, Frentzen, Alesi, Berger and many others into it and I bet it would be better than F1 currently is.;)

I would actually love that.

#30 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 4,542 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 22:38

Just Le Mans for Audi and win the overall title.

#31 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 23:22

Why are so many people voting no?

#32 Eff One 2002

Eff One 2002

• 1,132 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 00:41

I'd like to see him come over here and contest our V8 Supercar Championship. With Merc in for next year, maybe that would be an attractive prospect commercially. I doubt he'd ever uproot his life to live over here, but maybe he could just do Bathurst for one of the Merc teams? Now that I'd like to see.

I think it's quite likely he will participate in some other racing discipline at any rate. He seems to just love racing.

Edited by Eff One 2002, 03 November 2012 - 00:43.

#33 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:04

OK, NASCRAP is perhaps a bit too hard, I'll give you that.

But how many European drivers have been particiapiting in that series?

Let's see, just off the top of my head, Mika Salo, Max Papis, Kimi Raikkonen, Jan Magnussen, Mattias Ekstrom.

Sorry for the incomplete list, it's only for the last two years or so.

#34 JohnConnor

JohnConnor

• 13 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:06

MS is the most successful racing driver of all time. If he feels so, then why not.

#35 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:42

Win Le Mans. :up:

#36 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:20

I think on his retirement speech, he already mention that he will never racing professionally again.

He said he would retire from F1 at the end of 2006.
He said he didnt park the car :p

#37 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:22

I don't really mind - whatever makes him happy. if he does do further motorsport I hope he is able to extract more performance than he has from F1, otherwise he may as well just do testing.

He said he wants to do rodeo instead though, so good luck to him with that :up:

#38 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 20:36

Why are so many people voting no?

Because they are fed up with Schumacher and want to see the back of him? He isn't universally popular, you know.

I would like to see him doing sports cars again. That's about the only place that he might feel there was a challenge for him.

#39 404KF2

404KF2

• 19,091 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 20:38

Le Mans, for sure. Back to the future for him. Maybe he and JV can race on the same team.... heh

Advertisement

#40 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 20:44

What about Rallying? A man with Michael's car control would surely enjoy some rally action!?!

#41 Boing Ball

Boing Ball

• 395 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 23:07

Why would anyone except a Schumacher-hater want to see him continue tarnishing his reputation? He would underperform in DTM and Le Mans, just like he has underperformed in F1 in his second career.

#42 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 23:58

What about Rallying? A man with Michael's car control would surely enjoy some rally action!?!

He's actually admitted that he sucks in cars where he can't see the front tyres. Remember when he lost to NASCAR star Carl Edwards in the Race of Champions?

He'll never allow anything like that to happen again.

Based on the no closed wheel series rule (which who knows if he's changed his mind or whatever) The only series he'd consider is Indycar and I guarantee you his wife will veto that on safety grounds and he probably feels it's too bush league. I mean can you imagine the perception that he's following Rubens Barrichello over there?

Never.

The only other idea would be some sort of recreational motorcycle series like he did before, but again he screwed up his neck doing that before, right?

#43 Radoye

Radoye

• 3,368 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 00:56

I'd love to see him try Indy 500.

#44 exmayol

exmayol

• 558 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:45

Given how long these guys were out MSC will walk over them and we'll get another 100 pages of cheating accusations ;)

#45 BetaVersion

BetaVersion

• 689 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:18

Why would anyone except a Schumacher-hater want to see him continue tarnishing his reputation? He would underperform in DTM and Le Mans, just like he has underperformed in F1 in his second career.

He hasn't underperformed, in comparison to Nico at least, most of this year.

Plus, I would love to see him driving Michelin LMP1s :)

Michael never drove with Michelins on F1, and those tires are for real racers

Edited by BetaVersion, 04 November 2012 - 02:22.

#46 Wander

Wander

• 2,367 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:04

I don't care.

#47 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:02

Anything as long as he doesn't turn into some grumpy Lauda/Stewart type.