Volume 2 of 'Sports Car Racing in the South'

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#51 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 16:03

Posted Image
Midland Airpark, October 11, 1959: Shreveport VW dealer Harry Washburn in his second appearance with the Chevy-engined Ferrari Monza, chassis 0502. He finished 5th [Prelim] and 6th overall in the Feature.

Chassis 0502 was the only Monza that came without a headrest. Washburn bought the car in August 1959 from Jim Hall of Dallas. Its history under Hall, and before that, Big Jim Hall of Houston, where the Chevy unit was installed by Dale Burt, seems to be unknown by most Ferrari chassis number websites, which claim Jack Bates as the previous owner. Bates owned chassis 0522, though.

Cris: Glad your enjoying seeing the pictures and stories from Bob Jackson and Willem Oosthoek's new book

Photo: Bob Jackson
all research: Willem Oosthoek

Edited by Jerry Entin, 05 February 2013 - 16:09.

Advertisement

#52 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,466 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 17:41

Dunnellon, April 27, 1958: lining up for the Feature are Chick Butscher of Miami [Ferrari 500TR, chassis 0642] and John Phipps of Tallahassee in his purple OSCA.

Leonard "Chick" Butscher owned a number of upscale seafood restaurants in the Miami area by the name New England Oyster House. He was Lucky Casner's original money man and they alternated in chassis 0642, before it was sold to Bill Kimberly. Their other team car was a Ferrari 500TRC, chassis 0668, formerly owned by Temple Buell.

Photo: Benita Lane

My parents used to go to the New England Oyster House in Ft Lauderdale when I was a kid.

Were Bill and Jim Kimberly related?

Jack.

#53 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,394 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 18:24

Were Bill and Jim Kimberly related?

Nephew (b. 1933) & uncle (1907-1994).

Edited by ReWind, 06 February 2013 - 08:50.

#54 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 21:47

Jack: I think you will enjoy this article written by Willem Oosthoek: http://www.themasera...m/Kimberly.html

As Rewind has explained:
Jim Kimberly was Bill's uncle and his early 50s Ferraris motivated Bill Kimberly to start a competition career as well. Bill's father Jack ran Kimberly-Clark after Jim retired from the business.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 05 February 2013 - 21:52.

#55 scags

scags

• 405 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 00:52

That's alchemy. Turning tissues and q - tips into Ferraris.

#56 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,699 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 13:09

Which of the Kimberly clan was responsible for the decision to fund Jack Brabham's Cooper at Indianapolis?

(I'm at work so don't have access to my books where I'm sure I could find the answer)

#57 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 18:50

Jim

#58 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,466 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 21:40

Jack: I think you will enjoy this article written by Willem Oosthoek: http://www.themasera...m/Kimberly.html

As Rewind has explained:
Jim Kimberly was Bill's uncle and his early 50s Ferraris motivated Bill Kimberly to start a competition career as well. Bill's father Jack ran Kimberly-Clark after Jim retired from the business.

Thanks, Jerry (and Rewind). Did Butscher also fund Casner's racing in Europe?

#59 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 22:15

Jack:
Chick Butscher retired from racing after 1958, but Lucky Casner soon found his second money man: Jim Hunt of Fort Lauderdale, the son of a major local real estate developer. During 1958 Casner actually worked for Hunt's dredging business, commuting between Miami and Fort Lauderdale. That racing partnership did not last until the middle of 1959, when Hunt lost interest. Casner's European endeavors [he made his first buying trip there in September 1959] were primarily paid for by Goodyear and other corporate sponsorships.

Advertisement

#60 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,466 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 15:30

Jack:
Chick Butscher retired from racing after 1958, but Lucky Casner soon found his second money man: Jim Hunt of Fort Lauderdale, the son of a major local real estate developer. During 1958 Casner actually worked for Hunt's dredging business, commuting between Miami and Fort Lauderdale. That racing partnership did not last until the middle of 1959, when Hunt lost interest. Casner's European endeavors [he made his first buying trip there in September 1959] were primarily paid for by Goodyear and other corporate sponsorships.

Jim Hunt owned several small banks in Ft Lauderdale in the late 1960s-early 70s. He eventually sold those to the Southeast Banking Corp. I believe the Hunt family was the developer of an upscale neighborhood in northeast Ft Lauderdale called Coral Ridge, in partnership with Westinghouse.

Jack.

Edited by Jack-the-Lad, 07 February 2013 - 20:07.

#61 TIPO61

TIPO61

• 598 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 21:08

Proably worth noting is the sign disply in front of 'Brabham's Cooper' at the Speedway museum.

Yes we all know that it's not the 'real' T-54, but what the sign sez is the import.

Hap brought the Cooper to Elkhart Lake and he and Augie Pabst 'played' during track time with the Formula Jr. folk. It was neat to see.

RA Tom will. undoubtedly, have more on that day.

It would be neat if a forum member happened to have a readable picture of the words on the plaque in front of that car.

Edited by TIPO61, 07 February 2013 - 21:26.

#62 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 00:12

Jack:
Coral Ridge [Properties Inc] was the name of the company of Jim Hunt's father. Hunt Sr. created the town of Coral Springs and did many development projects around Fort Lauderdale and Pompano Beach.

In 1966 Hunt Sr. sold out to Westinghouse for $36 million and the family could retire wealthy. Sadly, his grandson, James "Rocky" Hunt III, after choosing to serve his community as a police officer, was killed in the line of duty.

#63 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,466 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 16:10

Jack:
Coral Ridge [Properties Inc] was the name of the company of Jim Hunt's father. Hunt Sr. created the town of Coral Springs and did many development projects around Fort Lauderdale and Pompano Beach.

In 1966 Hunt Sr. sold out to Westinghouse for $36 million and the family could retire wealthy. Sadly, his grandson, James "Rocky" Hunt III, after choosing to serve his community as a police officer, was killed in the line of duty.

Jerry,

Thanks for tickling my memory! Indeed, the Hunts devloped Coral Springs. I did not know about Rocky. Was he with Ft Lauderdale PD?

#64 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 19:13

Yes, one of our TNF contributors has the one and only T-54 and has had it for many years.

Hap Sharp had two different T-53s. At the 1961 Road America June Sprints he had chassis F2-12-60, which was the T-53 that was Brabham's backup car a couple weeks earlier at Indianapolis. The car never turned a wheel at Indy. Hap drove it in the Formula Junior race, just playing around as of course it was not an eligible car. After turning a number of laps that were eight seconds faster than the lap record he parked it, thus letting the F-Jr drivers have their race without having to look over their shoulders all the time and having had his fun. Hap later had the car at the 1964 June Sprints, where he again played around with it. This car is in the IMS Museum, having been donated to the museum c1969.

Sharp's other Cooper T-53 was chassis number F1-15-61. It later went to Alan Connell, then Harry Washburn, and so on. Today it is believed to be owned by Joe Farley in the UK.

#65 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:41

Jack: Here is a story telling about Rocky Hunt 111:

http://articles.sun-...-broward-county

as featured in the Sun Sentinel.com
report by: Larry Keller

Edited by Jerry Entin, 09 February 2013 - 01:43.

#66 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 21:25

Posted Image
Sebring, March 26, 1960: Joe Sheppard, the Tampa Hotshoe, in the CAMORADI USA Porsche Carrera he shared with Dick Dungan, an exec with the SCCA's Central Florida Region.

The Carrera was the only CAMORADI entry [of eight] to finish in the top ten, but the car had its troubles along the way. Sheppard remembers how it lost most of its brakes after the four hours, and fourth gear as well. In spite of that, Sheppard and Dungan finished ninth overall and first in their class.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 09 February 2013 - 21:29.

#67 tampaguy

tampaguy

• 132 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 21:58

Jerry,
Thank you for all the help with Joe ! :clap: I spoke with him today and he mentioned a few things about his 550 RS vs the RSK he drove for Brumos. Interesting ?

#68 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 22:46

Posted Image
Midland, October 11, 1959: Fort Worth wildcatter Gary Laughlin and his Ferrari 250TR, chassis 0748.

International oil exploration kept Gary Laughlin away from the racing scene for most of 1959, but at Midland he scored a 2nd overall finish behind Alan Connell's more powerful Ferrari 335S.

Tamps Guy: Joe Sheppard is a great ambassador of Motor Racing and I can't say enough about him.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 12 February 2013 - 22:52.

#69 URY914

URY914

• 236 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:07

Tampaguy,

So Joe is still with us? Does he live here in Tampa. I remember his house on Bayshore and his dealership was not far from my house.

#70 tampaguy

tampaguy

• 132 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 17:17

Yes ! Joe is still with us and sharp as a tac ! I call him once a week and keep him informed as to what is going on in the automotive world. Joe is not into computers , he would rather be working on his gun collection or turning wrenches on a few MG's a close friend owns. He never tires of explaining his little part of early sports car racing in the southeast. Late last year he put me in touch with Duncan Forlong. Duncan is a close old friend of Joe's who was an early AC Bristol campaigner, I had a great time asking Duncan about his experiences , it was like opening a book! The stories just kept coming and coming ! I will be visiting with Joe and Duncan this summer in Tampa and look forward to taking them to some of their old stomping grounds. ;)

#71 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,466 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 21:20

Does the name "Wally Korb" ring any bells here? He taught at my high school during the era, and in the region, under discussion. As I recall he was a freelance photog who covered racing in Florida for International Motor Sports magazine, and perhaps SCG. Or maybe my memory is playing tricks. Again.

#72 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 17:54

Posted Image
Hondo, Texas January 31, 1960: Charlie Barns cleaning house with his GP class Alfa Romeo Giulietta.

Charlie Barns began his competition career late in 1959 and in the next few years he was a consistent class winner with his Giulietta [GP class] and Veloce [EP]. By 1962 he ran a Cooper Formula Junior, followed by a Merlyn Mk 6 in 1963.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 16 February 2013 - 18:05.

#73 grimeheel

grimeheel

• 54 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 18:35

Does the name "Wally Korb" ring any bells here? He taught at my high school during the era, and in the region, under discussion. As I recall he was a freelance photog who covered racing in Florida for International Motor Sports magazine, and perhaps SCG. Or maybe my memory is playing tricks. Again.

Yes, Wally Korb did snaps, and wrote, for Sports Car Graphic, especially in '64 and '65. Is he still around? I tried to find him to use his USRRC photos for my book, but.....no luck.

#74 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 00:29

Posted Image
Customizations made to Jim Hall's Maserati 570S, chassis 4508, as executed in September 1960.

After completely overhauling the former Temple Buell Maserati 570S in the fall of 1959, additional changes were made in Dallas in 1960. A small windshield replaced the full-width version and bodyman Foy Barrett fabricated a metal tonneau for the passenger seat. This is the version in which Hall ran the car first during the 1960 Times Grand Prix.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 18 February 2013 - 00:33.

#75 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 22:23

Posted Image
Daytona Speedway 1960: taking the Caddy to the races. In the background Bob Dusinberre's red Bobtail Cooper/Climax

Photo: Richard Macon Collection

Edited by Jerry Entin, 18 February 2013 - 22:33.

#76 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 17:35

Posted Image
Fueling David Lane's Maserati 200SI at Cocoa-Titusville, Florida, on February 15, 1960.

Photo: Benita Lane

Edited by Jerry Entin, 21 February 2013 - 17:38.

#77 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 16:17

Posted Image
Longview, April 30, 1960: Jim Hall's Maserati Tipo 61 [chassis 2458] arrives from Dallas, still with the CAMORADI USA livery in which Carroll Shelby took it to victory for Lucky Casner in the Examiner Grand Prix at Riverside four weeks earlier.

Jim Hall made sure that Hap Sharp realized that the Birdcage was the faster car.

photo: Bob Jackson

Edited by Jerry Entin, 24 February 2013 - 16:21.

#78 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 21:02

Posted Image
When at the wheel, Delmo Johnson's face was always expressive. Here he manhandles his Jaguar XK-SS/Chevy at Bossier City, Louisiana.

The event was the first Louisiana Hilltop race, held on June 4-5, 1960. Johnson finished second overall twice, with Bill Fuller Chevy-engined D-type the winner each time.

photo: Bob Jackson

Edited by Jerry Entin, 26 February 2013 - 21:05.

#79 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 19:43

Posted Image
Daytona, November 13, 1960: Augie Pabst and Harry Heuer in their Meister Brauser Scarabs line up next to Art Huttinger's Lister/Chevy to contest the 2nd SCCA National at the Speedway.

Pabst won the feature over Heuer, while Huttinger's Lister got stuck in 4th gear to finish 8th overall. Tomorrow, March 3, will be Art's 88th birthday and we wish the old boy a very happy birthday.

Photo: Art Huttinger Collection

Edited by Jerry Entin, 02 March 2013 - 21:00.

Advertisement

#80 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 21:51

Is the book still more or less on schedule, Jerry?
Roger Lund

#81 JoBo

JoBo

• 473 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 00:37

Is the book still more or less on schedule, Jerry?
Roger Lund

Seems so as he posted this teasers to keep interest alive....

JoBo

Edited by JoBo, 03 March 2013 - 00:37.

#82 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:20

Roger:
The book is very much on schedule, Dalton Watson had a few display copies of Volume 2 at the Retromobile, shipped by air from the Far East. The regular container shipment should arrive at DW's warehouses in the US and England by the end of this month.

#83 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 00:13

Posted Image
It is in Volume 2 of course, so the geographical and time parameters are set. But still:

When, Where, What and Who?

Edited by Jerry Entin, 05 March 2013 - 00:21.

#84 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 20:41

Posted Image
Sebring 1960: start of the Formula Junior race the day before the 12 Hours

Jim Hall leads the pack with his Elva/DKW. Chasing him are Eddie Crawford [Cunningham Stanguellini] and Walt Hansgen [Cunningham Cooper/BMC]. Hansgen led most of the race until he retired. Crawford took over first place until the final lap, when he suffered a blowout. Hall crossed the line first, with Crawford limping home in second.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 10 March 2013 - 20:46.

#85 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,324 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 21:32

Posted Image
It is in Volume 2 of course, so the geographical and time parameters are set. But still:

When, Where, What and Who?

Jerry , a Panhard derivate with not too convincing roll-hoop!!

Regards Michael

#86 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 22:06

Michael, one out of four ain't bad, especially since you are the only one so far!

It is Stu Chism from Arlington, Texas with his Panhard Special. The venue is Longview, Texas, in 1960.

#87 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,324 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:44

Michael, one out of four ain't bad, especially since you are the only one so far!

It is Stu Chism from Arlington, Texas with his Panhard Special. The venue is Longview, Texas, in 1960.

Jerry thank you, I'm not 'proud' of the 25%...

Do you know whether the Special is US built, or an import from France??...

Thank you, and the other questios who, where when were to difficult to answer. Anyway I buy the book, have the other and all Willem books!!

Michael

#88 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 13:46

Michael:

Stu Chism was quite successful in HM class, but we have no idea if his Panhard Special was built in the U.S. or in France. Panhards were a rare sight in the South, although there were a few DBs racing around Florida, one of which won the Lion's 300 Miles at Venice overall in October 1959. It was a handicap race of course, and the Porsche drivers did not like the formula used.

all research : Willem Oosthoek

#89 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,324 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 16:49

Michael:

Stu Chism was quite successful in HM class, but we have no idea if his Panhard Special was built in the U.S. or in France. Panhards were a rare sight in the South, although there were a few DBs racing around Florida, one of which won the Lion's 300 Miles at Venice overall in October 1959. It was a handicap race of course, and the Porsche drivers did not like the formula used.

all research : Willem Oosthoek

Jerry thank you!!
Even in France there were so many specials based on Panhard chassis.I have to ask Dominique Pascal, he authored two very interesting books (third in preparation) on the one-off built racing/sportscars in France (Title 'Constructeur sans patente'). Maybe we can solve the mysterie..

Here is Domique Pascal's reply:

The modification has been made in the US, I presume. Not in France as far that I know...
All the best
Dominique

Many many thanks Michael

Edited by Tuboscocca, 11 March 2013 - 17:54.

#90 kartman24

kartman24

• 99 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 19:17

Hi Jerry, do you have any Fairthorpe pictures you can share...........Martin

#91 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 20:34

Martin:

A quick search in Volume 2 shows various Fairthorpe appearances in the South by Howard Mudd [Electron and Minor], Bob Bird [Minor] and Roland Bodenheim [Minor] at tracks such as Mansfield, San Marcos and Louisiana Hilltop. They often won their class [FP and GP], but alas, no photos of any Fairthorpes in the book.

#92 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 22:54

Posted Image
Sebring, March 1960: Hap Sharp practicing Le Mans starts, while his wife Suzie and Chuck Hall seem unimpressed by his efforts.

Sharp ran his Maserati-engined Cooper Monaco with various engine configurations. The Monaco came without an engine, so Sharp used the engine from his Maserati 250S, a car he sold to Tracy Bird with a Ferrari Monza engine. The 2.5-liter unit was enlarged to 2.7-liter during 1960, but in 1961 Sharp downsized it to 2.3-liter for reliability reasons.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 12 March 2013 - 23:07.

#93 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 22:29

Posted Image
Sebring, March 1960: the Boy Wonder posing next to his 2-liter Ferrari Dino.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 14 March 2013 - 22:34.

#94 Vettefinderjim

Vettefinderjim

• 77 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 21:31

Posted Image
Midland Airpark, October 11, 1959: Shreveport VW dealer Harry Washburn in his second appearance with the Chevy-engined Ferrari Monza, chassis 0502. He finished 5th [Prelim] and 6th overall in the Feature.

Chassis 0502 was the only Monza that came without a headrest. Washburn bought the car in August 1959 from Jim Hall of Dallas. Its history under Hall, and before that, Big Jim Hall of Houston, where the Chevy unit was installed by Dale Burt, seems to be unknown by most Ferrari chassis number websites, which claim Jack Bates as the previous owner. Bates owned chassis 0522, though.

Cris: Glad your enjoying seeing the pictures and stories from Bob Jackson and Willem Oosthoek's new book

Is ''BIG JIM HALL'' still alive today? He may have been involved in the 57 SEBRING race car I found in Texas in 2009.

#95 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 17:01

At long last, Volume 2 of Sports Car Racing in the South has arrived at the warehouses of Dalton Watson in the U.S. and U.K. and is now available.
www.daltonwatson.com

U.S. based parties interested for an autographed copy, please contact the author at willemoosthoek@aol.com

Here is a sampler of the contnents of the new book: www.daltonwatson.com/files/SCR2_promo_sample_LO_RES.pdf

Unfortunately, Big Jim Hall is no longer around. He left us in 1973.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 11 April 2013 - 17:54.

#96 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:41

My copy, straight from Willem, arrived today. What a stunner!

Photo reproduction is marvelous. I'm looking forward to some serious perusal.

#97 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:52

U.S. based parties interested for an autographed copy, please contact the author at willemoosthoek@aol.com

When will Willem visit Holland again for an autograph session?

#98 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:17

Frank S glad you have your copy on the ready.

Arjan: Willem has no plans yet for an upcoming trip to the old country and he is working hard on Volume 3, which offers uncharted territory for the 1962 season.

Willem was wondering if anybody ever heard of a 3-hour event at that hotbed of sportscar racing Columbia, South Carolina?

I haven't, but the event is mentioned in Frank Harrison's racing log.