Photo

Gone but not forgotten

• Please log in to reply
241 replies to this topic

#151 PaulMar

PaulMar

• 38 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 23:22

I for one think you are doing a wonderful job here Picblanc and many thanks for your time and effort. For those of you who prefer not to view it you don't have to click on the thread.

I couldn't agree more RC, clicking the mouse button is like opening the throttle - our choice! I am sure we all remember lost friends and heroes in our own private way but that doesn't mean we can't remember them as a community as well.

Thanks Picblanc, love all your other work as well. Please, please keep it coming. :clap:

Advertisement

#152 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 23:44

Marc Ramsbotham @ Lydden Hill 2004, Marc was killed during the Senior TT at the Isle of Man, crashing @ the 26th milestone section, sadly two spectators were also killed (Dean Jacob & Gregory Kenzig) two marshals were also seriously injured, on June 8th 2007, Marc was aged 34.

Posted Image

Photo Copyrighted to Graham Etheridge.

#153 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 23:44

I couldn't agree more RC, clicking the mouse button is like opening the throttle - our choice! I am sure we all remember lost friends and heroes in our own private way but that doesn't mean we can't remember them as a community as well.

Thanks Picblanc, love all your other work as well. Please, please keep it coming. :clap:

Thank you Paul. :up:

#154 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 23:48

Yep, it's been something of a dig in the ribs for me : some of those mentioned I haven't known have passed, others I've not known how they went. In a few instances I'd forgotten them entirely, and a couple I hadn't heard of at all. If we can't recall them at such times with a brief moment of fond reflection, they may as well be forgotten. So I think it's a great effort, and once again I'm amazed at the depth of your archive, Gra. Nice work, mate.

#155 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 00:07

Martin Sharpe @ Brands Hatch 1975, Martin was disabled following an accident @ Brands Hatch testing the Sparton, he took up car racing later after making a partial recovery, sadly Martin died of a heart attack in 1999.

Posted Image

Posted Image

and at Brands Hatch 1976 with Steve Parrish.

Posted Image

All Photos Copyrighted to Graham Etheridge.

#156 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:03

Well I suppose eventually this thread would raise the hackles of some people. As a mere bystander I never actually knew any of the riders but remember some of them well. I'm just pleased that someone has taken the time and trouble to post them on here because, not only are they excellent photos, they shouldn't be forgotten. No offense has been caused in this quarter but I can understand that there are differnt views. But mawkish? No.

#157 tonyed

tonyed

• 982 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:13

I am not sure what the objection is to this thread.

Unfortunately death on the track is a by product of our sport.

Before participating we should be aware of the possibility of receiving minor and major injuries or worse, death.

During my racing years I suffered several major crashes, two at least of which I was fortunate to survive, I lost good friends and acquaintances and have fond memories of them.

Recently I suffered a pulmonary embolism, nothing connected with motorcycles, which, had the thrombosis not been where it was in my body when it decided to shift, would have taken me out, fortunately it has only clogged my lungs so for better or worse I'm still here.

My point is whether the rider suffered a violent death whilst participating or slipped under the flag at home in bed does not matter. They have departed this mortal coil and as appreciators of the sport in which they achieved greatness, mediocrity or like many of us participated to the best of our abilities without achieving sporting immortality they should be remembered and I personally see no reason why they should not be remembered by displaying them, as this thread is doing, in their glory.

#158 bobness

bobness

• 257 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:08

I am not sure what the objection is to this thread.

Unfortunately death on the track is a by product of our sport.

Before participating we should be aware of the possibility of receiving minor and major injuries or worse, death.

During my racing years I suffered several major crashes, two at least of which I was fortunate to survive, I lost good friends and acquaintances and have fond memories of them.

Recently I suffered a pulmonary embolism, nothing connected with motorcycles, which, had the thrombosis not been where it was in my body when it decided to shift, would have taken me out, fortunately it has only clogged my lungs so for better or worse I'm still here.

My point is whether the rider suffered a violent death whilst participating or slipped under the flag at home in bed does not matter. They have departed this mortal coil and as appreciators of the sport in which they achieved greatness, mediocrity or like many of us participated to the best of our abilities without achieving sporting immortality they should be remembered and I personally see no reason why they should not be remembered by displaying them, as this thread is doing, in their glory.

Early contender for post of the year.

This thread brings back many fond memories of people I watched in awe of as a kid, and some who I appreciated later in life.
Remembering them is the best lasting tribute I, as a mere spectator, can pay them.

Russell, you have your opinion, and I appreciate that. It appears to be different to mine. But both sides are personal opinions.
When you acquire some years of experience in life, you realise that that's what makes the world go round; we just have different views and we won't fall out about it (I hope). Unlike some other forums I frequent, where the "youth" of today merely provide proof that the internet is just a place where everyone can prove himself to be a total berk for 15 minutes. Or a lot, lot longer.
Your opinion is a valid one. Just because I disagree does not make it invalid.
I agree with below. The "Ignore User" button is a good friend to you if needed!
This place ebbs and flows, but is a place where I know I can drop in, read, learn, chip in and "chat" in a civilised atmosphere for the vast majority of the time.
Long may that continue.

Edited by bobness, 11 January 2013 - 09:09.

#159 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:34

Hi all, when I set out to do this my intention was to just remember those who I watched in awe all those years a go as a young teenager on to my now twighlight years who I knew had lost their lives doing the sport they & you guys on the forum here loved, but it occured to me also that we wonder 'where are they now?' & what happened to such & such after their racing years? this thread just fills in some of the gaps of ones I know the answer to for sure.

I have had many private messages of support as well as the public ones on the forum & to those again thank you, and to those who think I have done the wrong thing I can understand your thoughts too and I am sad literally that you feel that way, as I hate causing upset to anyone, :(

I shall post more photos on here to bring it up to date as & when, so thanks again for your support. :up:

Advertisement

#160 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:38

Jan Strijbis (Holland) Silverstone 1978, Jan died December 3rd year unknown? (at the moment)

Posted Image

Amazing that he stiil used a pudding-basin lid in '78....

#161 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:44

Marc Ramsbotham @ Lydden Hill 2004, Marc was killed during the Senior TT at the Isle of Man, crashing @ the 26th milestone section, sadly two spectators were also killed (Dean Jacob & Gregory Kenzig) two marshals were also seriously injured, on June 8th 2007, Marc was aged 34.

One of the marshals was former racer Hillary Musson, losing her lower leg as far as I know (hope this post won't be regarded as wallowing in sorrow....)

#162 SMonty

SMonty

• 80 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 14:35

Not too sure what you're driving at here, Russell, but if you find certain posters irritating, jump into the My Controls feature and activate the Ignore Users function, I've knocked a couple out and found my demeanour improved instantly.
In all, I think there's too much good stuff on here, both in pics and yarns, to worry too much about any perceived malevolent influences.

Here here. Well said GD

#163 SMonty

SMonty

• 80 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 14:39

Early contender for post of the year.

This thread brings back many fond memories of people I watched in awe of as a kid, and some who I appreciated later in life.
Remembering them is the best lasting tribute I, as a mere spectator, can pay them.

Russell, you have your opinion, and I appreciate that. It appears to be different to mine. But both sides are personal opinions.
When you acquire some years of experience in life, you realise that that's what makes the world go round; we just have different views and we won't fall out about it (I hope). Unlike some other forums I frequent, where the "youth" of today merely provide proof that the internet is just a place where everyone can prove himself to be a total berk for 15 minutes. Or a lot, lot longer.
Your opinion is a valid one. Just because I disagree does not make it invalid.
I agree with below. The "Ignore User" button is a good friend to you if needed!
This place ebbs and flows, but is a place where I know I can drop in, read, learn, chip in and "chat" in a civilised atmosphere for the vast majority of the time.
Long may that continue.

....and well said bobness.

Able to express my sentiments better than I can!

#164 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 17:11

Jeremy Montgomery Swan @ Brands Hatch 1976, Jeremy was killed in practice for Ulster GP at Dundrod, August 10th 1978.

Posted Image

#165 tonyed

tonyed

• 982 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 17:31

Perhaps to counter any negatism or mawkish sentiment we could start a new thread 'Not gone but definitely forgotten'.

Now who was I. Asked the missus but she passed, didn’t even phone a friend. :confused:

Monty-Swan – definitely an unlucky day with a silencer from another machine jamming the rear wheel.

Edited by tonyed, 11 January 2013 - 17:33.

#166 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 17:44

Pete Hubbard, Brands Hatch 1983, Pete passed away either August 23rd 2010 or November 30th 2006?

Posted Image

Pete & Reinhold Roth Silverstone 1986.

Posted Image

Both Photos Copyrighted to Graham Etheridge.

#167 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 18:11

Ricardo Tormo (Spain) Silverstone 1983, Ricardo passed away December 27th 1998 from Leukemia, age 46.

Posted Image

#168 robinmck

robinmck

• 31 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 19:21

A couple of NZ's finest racers, both tragically killed doing what they loved, Robrt Holden at the Isle of man, as mentioned earlier and the late great Rodger Freeth killed in a crash of a rally car in Australia, the year I am not sure about.
The photos, both very poor quailty, taken by me with an instamatic camera 32 years ago at the Hawksbury road race in NZ. Robert riding a GSX1100 Production bike, saving wear on the front tyre, as he did a lot!!, and Rodger riding the Macintosh Suzuki, which sadly just last year was stolen from the workshop it lived in and was found by police cut up in some low lifes garage
Posted Image[/img]
Posted Image[/img]

Edited by robinmck, 11 January 2013 - 19:27.

#169 Classicpics

Classicpics

• 438 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 20:19

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#170 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 20:54

Richard Swallow @ Brands Hatch 1977, Richard died in a domestic incident in 1992.

Posted Image

#171 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 21:22

Roger Nicholls & Dave Camier @ Brands Hatch 1977?, Roger sadly was killed in an accident at work, date ?

Posted Image

Roger @ Silverstone 1977

Posted Image

Brands Hatch 1975

Posted Image

Brands Hatch 1978

Posted Image

All photos Copyrighted to Graham Etheridge.

#172 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 21:51

Hermann Schmid (Switzerland) & Kenny Arthur @ Silverstone 1978, sadly Hermann committed suicide (by drowning) 28th April 1979, age 36.
Posted Image

#173 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 22:07

A couple of NZ's finest racers, both tragically killed doing what they loved, Robrt Holden at the Isle of man, as mentioned earlier and the late great Rodger Freeth killed in a crash of a rally car in Australia, the year I am not sure about.
The photos, both very poor quailty, taken by me with an instamatic camera 32 years ago at the Hawksbury road race in NZ. Robert riding a GSX1100 Production bike, saving wear on the front tyre, as he did a lot!!, and Rodger riding the Macintosh Suzuki, which sadly just last year was stolen from the workshop it lived in and was found by police cut up in some low lifes garage

Possum Bourne's best friend and co-driver, Dr Rodger "Roj" Freeth, died in a freak crash during the 1993 Rally Australia, and the crash almost ended Possum's career. After a lot of soul-searching, and encouragement from the Freeth family he returned to the driver's seat aiming to honour Freeth's legacy. From the time of Freeth's death, Bourne displayed a "ROJ" license plate on the front of his rally cars.

#174 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 22:13

Helmut Schilling (Germany) & Reiner Gundel @ Silverstone 1977, Helmut was killed taking part in Ratisbona hill climb in Bavaria Germany September 1977.

Posted Image

#175 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 978 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 22:24

Pete Hubbard, Brands Hatch 1983, Pete passed away either August 23rd 2010 or November 30th 2006?

Posted Image

Pete & Reinhold Roth Silverstone 1986.

Posted Image

Both Photos Copyrighted to Graham Etheridge.

I had no idea Pete had passed away!! an incredibly hard rider and someone who should have gone further than he did, it certainly wasnt through lack of trying, he just never seemed to get his hands on any really good kit.

#176 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 22:36

Herbert Besendorfer @ Silverstone 1984, Herbert was killed in a road accident August 26th 1996, age 39.

Posted Image

#177 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 22:45

Gustav Reiner (Germany) @ Silverstone 1985, Gustav died from heart faiure after an operation, November 24th 2007, age 54.

Posted Image

#178 PaulMar

PaulMar

• 38 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 00:27

Perhaps to counter any negatism or mawkish sentiment we could start a new thread 'Not gone but definitely forgotten'.

Now who was I. Asked the missus but she passed, didn’t even phone a friend. :confused:

Monty-Swan – definitely an unlucky day with a silencer from another machine jamming the rear wheel.

As neither an aging superstar or a talented has been, I have definitely not gone, I was forgotten before I started. But happy to have been around in the day.

#179 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 978 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 00:59

Incidentally I would love to see Terry celebrated in this thread. if anybody has any photos (sadly he was too modest to let people scan or even copy his pics) please share them with us, or at least me.

Terry in his last TT, photo courtesy of Bill Snelling

Posted Image

Advertisement

#180 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:24

Posted Image

Two good men.

#181 PaulMar

PaulMar

• 38 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:48

p.s. on the subject of ego perhaps you may care to compare your daily post rate to mine!

My apologies for this rant, especially to all those who share their positive thoughts and memories with us on a regular basis. Please keep up your post rate, you are the people who help the rest of us remember and appreciate our sport. :up:

Thanks Paul and GD66 for the photos of Terry Shep, much appreciated.

Off on my hols now but can't wait to catch up with TNF in a week.

#182 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:54

Posted Image

I reminded you specifically to bring the 7/16 spanner I had specially ground down...didn't I??? and what do you do?? pack your egg and bacon sarnies and nuffin ferkin else!!

#183 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:20

Another one of Terry

Posted Image

#184 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:49

Posted Image

Two good men.

Bob Mac & who? Glenn. :wave:

#185 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:53

It's Terry Shep and Mac, Gra. Clearly all isn't going quite as they'd hoped...

#186 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:29

It's Terry Shep and Mac, Gra. Clearly all isn't going quite as they'd hoped...

Ah! thanks Glenn, they do look a little preocupied!

#187 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:53

Pekka Nurmi (Finland) @ Mallory Park 1975, Pekka died in 1992.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Silverstone 1977

Posted Image

Brands Hatch 1977

Posted Image

#188 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 13:02

As you may notice, I've removed some posts from this thread.

Please stick to the topic chaps.

Any problems, give me a shout.

:up:

#189 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 14:27

Richard Bartlett @ Lydden Hill 2008, Richard was killed at the Manx Grand Prix September 1st 2009 after crashing at Kerrowmooar, aged 38.
Posted Image

#190 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 16:15

Chris Emmins @ Brands Hatch 1975, Chris was killed racing @ Jehonville circuit in Belgium, 23rd/24th August 2003.

Posted Image

Brands Hatch 1977.

Posted Image

Photos Copyrighted to Graham Etheridge.

Edited by picblanc, 12 January 2013 - 20:20.

#191 Robin127

Robin127

• 508 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 18:57

Chris Emmins @ Brands Hatch 1975, Chris was killed racing @ Jehonville circuit in Belgium, 1996.

Posted Image

Brands Hatch 1977.

Posted Image

Photos Copyrighted to Graham Etheridge.

I'm not sure what year it was Graham but it was later than 1996, I was there in '95, 96, 99 and 2000 and there were no fatalities in any of those years.

#192 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 19:38

I'm not sure what year it was Graham but it was later than 1996, I was there in '95, 96, 99 and 2000 and there were no fatalities in any of those years.

2003 according to this source

http://motorsportmem...hp?db=ms&n=3836

#193 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 20:19

2003 according to this source

http://motorsportmem...hp?db=ms&n=3836

Thanks Rupert & Robin I will get it changed. :up:

#194 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 22:07

Alan May with Micky Gray in the chair @ Brands Hatch 1980, Micky Gray passed away March 25th 2012.

Posted Image

#195 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 22:39

I was just thinking that very thing myself as I was waiting for the thread to open. I for one think it does no harm to remind ourselves of those who gave us so much excitement and enjoyment
and sadly are no longer with us.

As Graham knows, I watch mainly cars, but go to the odd bike meeting too at Brands, what amazes me, is that I have seen quite a few of these guys racing, and I think it is good to honour their love of the sport and the thrill and sheer enjoyment they derived from it, and gave us as spectators/fellow competitors. Good work Graham. The Sidecar outfits, so many were Swiss, I had forgotten.

#196 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:38

Phil Haslam @ Mallory Park – Killed at Scarborough June 1974

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here is a poor pic of brother Ron at Oran Park NSW Australia...over for a Superbike invitational of some description....sad that he lost two brothers...my best guess is that this is late 70s

Posted Image

Edited by 275 GTB-4, 13 January 2013 - 05:40.

#197 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:48

The 1980 Swann Series, in fact. I have a few dodgy pics around from then , so I've whacked them up on another thread.
Thanks for the reminder, 275 ! :)

Edited by GD66, 13 January 2013 - 08:19.

#198 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:29

The 1980 Swann Series, in fact. I have a few dodgy pics around from then , so I've whacked them up on another thread.
Thanks for the reminder, 275 ! :)

No probs...275 also has a few more dodgy pics around from then, so he will whack them up on the other thread :)

#199 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:47

Posted Image

Rolf Eggersdorfer, who runs a splendid web site, on the left paying Johnny Lockett and his wife (on the right) a visit together with Ted Frend (2nd from left) in 2000.

http://www.eggersdor.......rend&vv=Ted

http://www.eggersdor.......t&vv=Johnny

Edited by Rennmax, 13 January 2013 - 10:06.

Advertisement

#200 fastfitter

fastfitter

• 174 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 14:40

Posted Image

My brother always said Pat rode the big Yam as if it was an under-powered hack