Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Montezemolo speaks again (attacks everything & everyone)

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#51 starp

starp

• 74 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 15:24

Does this all mean that they have signed Raikkonen then? Why would he be in the public with any of this unless he has arrived on what action is next? It would be rather stupid to go and make a bunch of complaints and then have nothing come of them. I don't think LdM does that. To me it suggests that Alonso has been put is on a slow train out of Maranello.

But if they go get Raikkonen, then they need to be damn sure to start winning again immediately. They already had Raikkonen before and let him go. If they go and get him again and he doesn't improve Ferrari's results A LOT, then it will look REALLY bad. it's hard to imagine he would be so confident they can just start beating Red Bull by changing drivers.

Advertisement

#52 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 15:42

Do you honestly believe that? eek.gif
While the end result was similar, Alonso's Ferrari has never been as competitive in comparison to the opposition as Massa's Ferrari was in 2008.

That's what Alonso keep selling. :rolleyes:
Some people buy it. :p

The real Vettel disagrees with Alonso mentioning that if Alonso/Ferrari finished the year fighting for WDC, the car can't be that bad / not competitive.
If the car ended the year in WDC contention, it was competitive - as a definition.

#53 redreni

redreni

• 4,709 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 15:44

"On the other hand, the benefits gained by the team that carried out the secret banned testing are watched by everyone: before then, it had not won a single grand prix, then after the test it won three out of five races. These are the sort of serious incidents that affect F1’s credibility and alter the championship.”

The three races in question are Monaco, Britain and Hungary. If Mercedes had been slow at Monaco Red Bull would have had a 1-2. If Mercedes had been slow at Silverstone Webber would have won, although had Vettel had reliability he would have led home a Red Bull 1-2 if Mercedes hadn't been competitve. If Mercedes didn't win in Hungary Red Bull would have had a 2-3 with both cars ahead of Ferrari.

So yes, it affects the championship inasmuch as Ferrari are still just about in it. We wouldn't be otherwise.

Ferrari's chances are admittedly very slim, but that's because the red cars are slower than the Red Bulls, and as long as that's the case, Red Bull have only to achieve decent reliability to win the title.

#54 JimiKart

JimiKart

• 457 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 15:50

You can smell the fear creeping into the situation and into this thread... Oh no, holy schitt... even a solid hint that FA's on the market and everyone is schitting because they know nobody is safe, not even Seb, oh ya it's palpable.

#55 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 16:05

With the current regulations favouring aerodynamics, Red Bull was clever in getting a great designer, Adrian Newey, to get the most out of all aspects of the regulations. I will digress: this aspect of the rules is, in my opinion, a mistake and therefore needs changing. Luckily, the hoped for changes are coming

In other words, aerodynamics is not one of Ferrari's core competencies, so a focus on them should not be part of the sport. :down:

We will stay in F1 as long as it can be considered a test bed for advanced research, the highest technology

So aerodynamics is low tech?

We don’t make drinks and I say that with all possible respect for those who make drinks, we are not a sponsor, but we design and build cars of the very highest order.

Well it would appear that the drink company designs and builds cars of an even higher order. Maybe Luca should look into getting busy with the fizzy. :)

Formula 1 also has to be a clean sport without any of the monkey business we have had to put up with in recent years.

That is a bit rough coming from Ferrari.

We will finally have testing again and not a farce like what we saw this year with one team doing illegal testing without even paying the right penalty for it. In this case, I would have expected more clarity and courage from the FIA. On the other hand, the benefits gained by the team that carried out the secret banned testing are watched by everyone: before then, it had not won a single grand prix, then after the test it won three out of five races. These are the sort of serious incidents that affect F1’s credibility and alter the championship.”

I have to say, I agree with him completely on this point, but his accusations do not come across well in the middle of a rant that is teeter tottering all over the place.

#56 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 16:09

bourbon, very well-said! :up:

#57 caccamolle

caccamolle

• 310 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 16:30

Does this all mean that they have signed Raikkonen then? Why would he be in the public with any of this unless he has arrived on what action is next? It would be rather stupid to go and make a bunch of complaints and then have nothing come of them. I don't think LdM does that. To me it suggests that Alonso has been put is on a slow train out of Maranello.

But if they go get Raikkonen, then they need to be damn sure to start winning again immediately. They already had Raikkonen before and let him go. If they go and get him again and he doesn't improve Ferrari's results A LOT, then it will look REALLY bad. it's hard to imagine he would be so confident they can just start beating Red Bull by changing drivers.

No driver can win in this Ferrari ! FA would certainly win if the car performed, so would KR, LH, SV....

LdM can say what he wants, he is in a position where he can. What I think is that he needs to reboot the team which has to start from SD. He needs to go, right or wrong, it is time for him to go. At this point I don't even care whether FA stays or not. If anything, FM is more of a concern, obviously, he cannot drive anymore. The issue here is a team that has no leadership, no direction. And I am tired of the pathetic comments coming from SD.

#58 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 16:39

No driver can win in this Ferrari !

Why not?

#59 Lemans

Lemans

• 2,739 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 16:43

This guy is so full of ****. He should leave and pursue his political dreams.

Advertisement

#60 mardmarium

mardmarium

• 489 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 16:53

Why not?

Because the car is not good enough? because "our car is not competitive"?...some times I don´t know what some people are reading and watching...

#61 Jordana

Jordana

• 740 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 17:01

“Fernando is a great driver and I understand him, he is a bit like me: he wants to win"

Dear Mr. Di Montezemolo... And who likes to lose? I know nobody...

And one last thing... In that interview, I missed a little self-criticism because he is the big boss there so if things don't go the way they should, he has his share of responsability, right?

Edited by Jordana, 03 August 2013 - 17:01.

#62 Jordana

Jordana

• 740 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 17:03

bourbon, very well-said! :up:

+1 :up:

#63 caccamolle

caccamolle

• 310 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 17:05

Because the car is not good enough? because "our car is not competitive"?...some times I don´t know what some people are reading and watching...

Thank you - Indeed amazing how some people cannot get even the most obvious.

#64 caccamolle

caccamolle

• 310 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 17:15

“Fernando is a great driver and I understand him, he is a bit like me: he wants to win"

Dear Mr. Di Montezemolo... And who likes to lose? I know nobody...

And one last thing... In that interview, I missed a little self-criticism because he is the big boss there so if things don't go the way they should, he has his share of responsability, right?

I agree a little bit. However lets not forget he is chairman of Ferrari, a hugely successful enterprise where the recent F1 misfortunes are only a part of the story. He certainly has some responsibility which he could exercise by firing SD since the guy does not have the balls to retire.

I don't have any passion for LdM, but I suspect overall he has been very successful over several decades. He still is.

On the other hand SD has nothing to show for and is where he is for the wrong reasons. (yes, he was there during the MS years and has very little to do with the success there)

Edited by caccamolle, 03 August 2013 - 17:20.

#65 caccamolle

caccamolle

• 310 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 17:17

. Sorry my mistake).

Edited by caccamolle, 03 August 2013 - 17:19.

#66 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 17:32

Well it would appear that the drink company designs and builds cars of an even higher order. Maybe Luca should look into getting busy with the fizzy. :)

Lucazade..? :p

#67 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,991 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 17:59

The three races in question are Monaco, Britain and Hungary. If Mercedes had been slow at Monaco Red Bull would have had a 1-2. If Mercedes had been slow at Silverstone Webber would have won, although had Vettel had reliability he would have led home a Red Bull 1-2 if Mercedes hadn't been competitve. If Mercedes didn't win in Hungary Red Bull would have had a 2-3 with both cars ahead of Ferrari.

:up: :up:
Excellent points. Mercedes victories have done nothing but keep the championship open. If they weren't winning Red Bull would be on a 2011-esq runaway with the championship.

#68 Jordana

Jordana

• 740 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 18:05

I agree a little bit. However lets not forget he is chairman of Ferrari, a hugely successful enterprise where the recent F1 misfortunes are only a part of the story. He certainly has some responsibility which he could exercise by firing SD since the guy does not have the balls to retire.

I don't have any passion for LdM, but I suspect overall he has been very successful over several decades. He still is.

On the other hand SD has nothing to show for and is where he is for the wrong reasons. (yes, he was there during the MS years and has very little to do with the success there)

Sure he has been a very successful Ferrari Chairman, nobody can deny that but when you complain about "almost" everybody's performance at Ferrari Gesione Sportiva and you are the one who run it... gosh, he is also responsable.

And being honest... Ferrari has been hiring people from all over these past few years, spending lots of money and getting little results... Perhaps the Agnelli Family is putting pressure on him and that's why he is behaving a little nuts... Because, his complains (or excuses) are really funny...

#69 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 18:36

Lucazade..? :p

Fizzari !

#70 Winter98

Winter98

• 638 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 18:41

You can smell the fear creeping into the situation and into this thread... Oh no, holy schitt... even a solid hint that FA's on the market and everyone is schitting because they know nobody is safe, not even Seb, oh ya it's palpable.

Of course, Fernando is a Samurai. Who wouldn't be afraid of a samur....hang on...

WTH, shouldn't he have committed seppuku after failing to win the WDC last season?

Edited by Winter98, 03 August 2013 - 18:42.

#71 Dzeidzei

Dzeidzei

• 233 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 19:09

Alonso bought Kimi's place.
Massa inherited Barrichello's place when he moved to Honda with one year left in his contract.

Alonso is the bearer of a bigger responsability.

The first Ferrari driver can demand submission from the #2.
Except for the last race in his title bid in Interlagos, Kimi never used the option.
Massa could walk with his chin high and was much more productive in the WCC points contribution.
Ferrari won the WCC in 2007 and 2008. The last one.

Alonso walked in and killed Massa's mojo.
Since then, no WCC.

Then I ask you, which partnership was better for Ferrari ?

I mostly agree except for the part of Alonso killing Massa's mojo. We will never know what the Hungary accident 09 really did to Felipes speed. He can be quick sometimes, he can even do good races, but after that incident I fear it was all over for him.

Sometimes bad luck is really a bitch.

#72 mardmarium

mardmarium

• 489 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 19:34

That's what Alonso keep selling. :rolleyes:
Some people buy it. :p

The real Vettel disagrees with Alonso mentioning that if Alonso/Ferrari finished the year fighting for WDC, the car can't be that bad / not competitive.
If the car ended the year in WDC contention, it was competitive - as a definition.

Yes, Alonso is the Master of Universe. Everybody around him is his servant, including LdM who criticizes the car and says that he understands the driver in that regard. I am his servant too; I just think what Alonso wants me to think…his mind is really powerful...

#73 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 19:42

Drivers come and go, but if the car remains uncompetitive season after season, then something has to happen.

#74 BoschKurve

BoschKurve

• 1,525 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 19:51

I'm surprised no one said anything about this part...

From next season, we will have a completely different F1, finally less dependent on aerodynamics. I build cars not planes. We will finally have testing again and not a farce like what we saw this year with one team doing illegal testing without even paying the right penalty for it. In this case, I would have expected more clarity and courage from the FIA. On the other hand, the benefits gained by the team that carried out the secret banned testing are watched by everyone: before then, it had not won a single grand prix, then after the test it won three out of five races. These are the sort of serious incidents that affect F1’s credibility and alter the championship.”

One of the German publications said a few days ago Ferrari is considering pursuing LMP1 for 2015 as F1 may not be the best option any longer for them.

I think that above section may be a warning shot being fired at F1.

#75 bauss

bauss

• 5,067 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 19:53

seems probably Luca had words with FA in private after Silverstone and so, the FA criticisms did not stop, then he went public now.

as for being mad at Merc test...hahahaha

#76 Antonov

Antonov

• 603 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 20:02

no surprises that the frustrations are starting to show.

It's Fernando's 4th year with Ferrari now and it looks quite likely, at this stage of the season, that a championship will again not be delivered. It's not only frustrating for Fernando, who had imagined he could finally settle down and basically become multiple champion with a whole team behind him. Also Ferrari must be wondering what is going wrong.

I imagine the bomb has already burst within the Ferrari camp and that Fernando is starting to look for ways out. The last time Ferrari were champion was with Raikkonen in 2007 and suddenly they realise that firing him for the money Santander brought was maybe not smart afteral.

Basically, from what I understand, most of the Ferrari team adores Kimi, except for Di M. If he is the one to apologise and get down on his knees for Kimi to reconsider, I imagine we will see the iceman back in the red team.
Oh, and bring back Chris Dyer as well, innocent victim of a simple strategy mistake.

#77 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 20:03

In my view, some are reading this completely wrong, and waaay too selectively. :well:

First, as the previous missive from Luca, this is splashed all over Ferrari"s website, so obviously with FULL APPROVAL of the team. Are they trying to send Fernando a message? Maybe. But to me it reads more like a (2nd??) clarification of his original remarks targeted towards Fernando that were received so poorly by so many.

In this interview, LdM (to me) is trying to explain his original criticism of Fernando as disruptive and demotivating to the folks whose efforts are needed to improve the F138. Taking, IN CONTEXT, his comments about Alonso, I really don't find a lot to complain about. Certain quotes have been repeatedly posted, but here are some others:

“Fernando is a great driver and I understand him, he is a bit like me: he wants to win. He must just remember that one wins and loses together and for its part, Ferrari must give him a car capable of starting from the front two rows…It doesn’t sit well with me seeing our car is not competitive. That’s why I intervened, even if I didn’t want to abuse my authority over my men."

If he's insulting Alonso, then he's insulting himself based on that. He's the boss, and while he GREATLY ADMIRES Fernando, felt he'd gone too far. I disagree with Luca, but I don't run Ferrari, and he felt his rebuke was needed to restore order.

“Fernando has given a lot in these last years and I repeat, his disappointment, which came about mainly after Silverstone, where all of us expected to be more competitive, is understandable." Again, pointing out the great work from Alonso at Ferrari and saying FA's frustration isn't unreasonable, but going on to express that he felt he went too far in some of his comments.

Finally, here is how the article ends: "However, even if I have lots of problems, finding drivers for the future is not one of them. Fernando Alonso is a true great, as I’ve said before. He has proved it and will prove it again, very soon.” Luca, once again publicly declaring how highly he regards Alonso, and that the effort now is to get him a car to show that greatness again. These guys aren't splitting up. Quite the contrary. There was a very public spat, as families sometimes have, but its over and Luca is making clear to RB, Merc, Lotus, etc. that Fernando is very much part of the Ferrari family...in fact, its proudest son, despite the schism. I expect him to end his career Maranello as their latest champion! :cool:

Well said. :up:

Nice to see somebody who isnt going for the bash/drama angle.

Some people are quite enjoying this it seems.

#78 jesee

jesee

• 1,906 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 20:25

Alonso is a great driver but there is no driver ever who can be greater than the team. Ferrari is one of the great teams of f1 and will always be there. Drivers come and go. I think Alonso has every right to feel frustrated but that frustration has to be expressed behind closed doors to maintain team dignity. He is treated like a king in Ferrari and the best thing is to close ranks, knuckle down and support a team when in difficulty. There are hundreds if not thousands of employees who make a team like Ferrari great. These guys like mechanics spends sleepless time trying to give him a winning car. Sometimes it doesn't work out because maybe the rival teams have done a better job and the best thing is to keep the anger where it cannot be used by your rivals or bring the team into disrepute. In this regard, i support Luca completely.

#79 Wolfie

Wolfie

• 1,330 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 21:23

Alonso is a great driver but there is no driver ever who can be greater than the team. Ferrari is one of the great teams of f1 and will always be there. Drivers come and go. I think Alonso has every right to feel frustrated but that frustration has to be expressed behind closed doors to maintain team dignity. He is treated like a king in Ferrari and the best thing is to close ranks, knuckle down and support a team when in difficulty. There are hundreds if not thousands of employees who make a team like Ferrari great. These guys like mechanics spends sleepless time trying to give him a winning car. Sometimes it doesn't work out because maybe the rival teams have done a better job and the best thing is to keep the anger where it cannot be used by your rivals or bring the team into disrepute. In this regard, i support Luca completely.

My two cents:

LdM is the President of Ferrari and I can't understand under any circumstances how the head of Ferrari shows his incompetence as a leader by spewing his words to Alonso through the media. He if anyone should had talked privately to Alonso instead of letting the world know about something that is not even clear to the world :down:

He is the employer and Alonso is the employee, hence he should had sorted it out with Alonso - no matter what Alonso would had done - because LdM is the highest one and should also behave accordingly.

Now he made it look as if he would have no control over Alonso, which again makes LdM look like a fool, this all backfired at him. Everybody knows already how Ferrari is a team first and most, there's no need to lecture FA through their own website about the company's philosophy.

As the President he should had done his everything to solve things with FA in private and hence be the builder of a positive atmosphere inside the team. Now it's very difficult to see FA calming down if he is lectured by his employer in front of the whole world.

LdM should learn from how Red Bull solved their inner conflicts, they didn't start a media war against Webber when he lashed out at them in public. LdM only acts in a very childish way and what's even more worrying is Alonso's silence - if LdM thinks that he can manage Alonso this way, then.... I don't know what to think, except feel sorry for Alonso for being treated this way ):

Advertisement

#80 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 21:31

My two cents:

LdM is the President of Ferrari and I can't understand under any circumstances how the head of Ferrari shows his incompetence as a leader by spewing his words to Alonso through the media. He if anyone should had talked privately to Alonso instead of letting the world know about something that is not even clear to the world :down:

Alonso has publicly split the team in two [Factory and Track personel] and put the blame on the factory for the poor performance.
LdM had to revenge the factory guys to bring back the unity.
An eye by an eye.

Edited by V3TT3L, 03 August 2013 - 21:33.

#81 Wolfie

Wolfie

• 1,330 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 21:40

Alonso has publicly split the team in two [Factory and Track personel] and put the blame on the factory for the poor performance.
LdM had to revenge the factory guys to bring back the unity.
An eye by an eye.

Even so Alonso is the employee, LdM should understand his position in this whole thing. By working things out with Alonso in private he also shows the example of how things should be done.

I fail to see what LdM even thinks he can accomplish with these statements?

LdM could had talked Alonso into keeping a motivational speech to the personnel and also in public, that way the things he said would had been evened out.

FA has a hot temper and he can talk in the heat of the moment, it's LdM's job to understand and work out a solution that benefits Ferrari as a whole.

Does he even understand that during race weekends drivers are constantly harrassed by the media, they don't have time to think and even the most calm persons have said things they have regretted later on.

#82 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 21:49

My two cents:

He is the employer and Alonso is the employee, hence he should had sorted it out with Alonso - no matter what Alonso would had done - because LdM is the highest one and should also behave accordingly.

Now he made it look as if he would have no control over Alonso, which again makes LdM look like a fool, this all backfired at him. Everybody knows already how Ferrari is a team first and most, there's no need to lecture FA through their own website about the company's philosophy.

As the President he should had done his everything to solve things with FA in private and hence be the builder of a positive atmosphere inside the team. Now it's very difficult to see FA calming down if he is lectured by his employer in front of the whole world.

LdM should learn from how Red Bull solved their inner conflicts, they didn't start a media war against Webber when he lashed out at them in public. LdM only acts in a very childish way and what's even more worrying is Alonso's silence - if LdM thinks that he can manage Alonso this way, then.... I don't know what to think, except feel sorry for Alonso for being treated this way ):

Good post. I don't feel sorry for Nando, but I don't think he's gonna like having his ear tweaked in public and it can only make things worse. Drivers do F1 for status, not to be disrespected like that.

#83 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 21:57

My two cents:

Wolfie, whilst I do agree with your sentiment (washing dirty laundry in public), we do not know how similar incidents were treated in the past. This is not first time Alonso chastised his team in public arena. In fact, I seems to remember that LdM has publicly acknowledged team's shortcomings, and defended Alonso more than once. We of course do not know what went on during debriefing, and off camera. Maybe this time Luca simply had enough. I was actually expecting some explosion already last year, because for me Alonso's behavior was incomprehensible on more than one occasion, and if I would fault LDM in anything, then that he has let this go for too long. Everyone can be replaced, even Alonso, and that's what should have happened as a warning. Imagine Alonso would be shooting his mouth like that at Williams...

#84 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 22:06

FA has a hot temper and he can talk in the heat of the moment, it's LdM's job to understand and work out a solution that benefits Ferrari as a whole.

Doesn't MonteZombie has it too... hot blood :confused: or is it tomato sauce :p

Edited by V3TT3L, 03 August 2013 - 22:13.

#85 Wolfie

Wolfie

• 1,330 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 22:36

Wolfie, whilst I do agree with your sentiment (washing dirty laundry in public), we do not know how similar incidents were treated in the past. This is not first time Alonso chastised his team in public arena. In fact, I seems to remember that LdM has publicly acknowledged team's shortcomings, and defended Alonso more than once. We of course do not know what went on during debriefing, and off camera. Maybe this time Luca simply had enough. I was actually expecting some explosion already last year, because for me Alonso's behavior was incomprehensible on more than one occasion, and if I would fault LDM in anything, then that he has let this go for too long. Everyone can be replaced, even Alonso, and that's what should have happened as a warning. Imagine Alonso would be shooting his mouth like that at Williams...

Sakae, you are right about us not knowing how similar incidents were treated in the past, that's why it's sort of unfair of LdM to lecture FA in public because the public doesn't know what the whole story is. IMO LdM has poor management skills combined with sheer stupidity if he thinks that FA will get his message this way.

Also if he has let this go on for a longer time and explodes now, then he is guilty of giving his employee so much power that he becomes a laughings stock himself.

A leader should always strive to be an example to employees, at the moment Domenicali is doing a better job than LdM. I just think that his time LdM went too far and that he let it go on for too long.

Oiiii, Sir Frank Williams would had taken care of it a.s.a.p. :lol:

#86 Wolfie

Wolfie

• 1,330 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 22:41

Doesn't MonteZombie has it too... hot blood :confused: or is it tomato sauce :p

LOL

Even more reason for the one with the higher rank keep his temper under control. This can get ugly if this is the way they deal with FA :(

#87 Wolfie

Wolfie

• 1,330 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 22:43

Good post. I don't feel sorry for Nando, but I don't think he's gonna like having his ear tweaked in public and it can only make things worse. Drivers do F1 for status, not to be disrespected like that.

You summed my long post up in one sentence :up:

#88 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 22:48

Sakae, you are right about us not knowing how similar incidents were treated in the past, that's why it's sort of unfair of LdM to lecture FA in public because the public doesn't know what the whole story is. IMO LdM has poor management skills combined with sheer stupidity if he thinks that FA will get his message this way.

Also if he has let this go on for a longer time and explodes now, then he is guilty of giving his employee so much power that he becomes a laughings stock himself.

A leader should always strive to be an example to employees, at the moment Domenicali is doing a better job than LdM. I just think that his time LdM went too far and that he let it go on for too long.

Oiiii, Sir Frank Williams would had taken care of it a.s.a.p. :lol:

Maybe a public display of his displeasure is all Monte can do. Alonso would have considerable influence through his backing by Santander and he may not be responding to a behind the scenes chat. So a public attitude adjustment was the only option.

#89 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 22:56

Maybe a public display of his displeasure is all Monte can do. Alonso would have considerable influence through his backing by Santander and he may not be responding to a behind the scenes chat. So a public attitude adjustment was the only option.

the behind the scenes chat was last year in India, at some point LdM has to act as the head of a company of 2,700 employees. Alonso is but one of them

Even so Alonso is the employee, LdM should understand his position in this whole thing. By working things out with Alonso in private he also shows the example of how things should be done.

I fail to see what LdM even thinks he can accomplish with these statements?

LdM could had talked Alonso into keeping a motivational speech to the personnel and also in public, that way the things he said would had been evened out.

Does he even understand that during race weekends drivers are constantly harrassed by the media, they don't have time to think and even the most calm persons have said things they have regretted later on.

LdM's job is also to get Tombazis to perform. And Fry. And Alison tomorrow. And Marmorini. And Simone Resta. And. And. And. And they all have egos too. In a company of 2,700 Alonso is but one employee. An important employee, but there are definite limits to how important he is. That's what LdM is doing, letting him know what those limits are.

#90 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 22:58

But is this public chiding going to work with Alonso? Can he be brought in line this way? The last time Alonso was controlled/made submissive to authority was when he was forced to reveal the truth on Spygate by FIA on investigation. Alonso's future in F1 was threatened by FIA to make him tell what he know about the Spygate saga which comprehensively implicated McLaren. In that case, it was FIA and the sort of authority they had in that episode is limitless and I don't see this situation as like that. Alonso is not going to be made submissive by the Master Charmer, de Montezemolo.

#91 Wolfie

Wolfie

• 1,330 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 23:01

LdM's job is also to get Tombazis to perform. And Fry. And Alison tomorrow. And Marmorini. And Simone Resta. And. And. And. And they all have egos too. In a company of 2,700 Alonso is but one employee. An important employee, but there are definite limits to how important he is. That's what LdM is doing, letting him know what those limits are.

Quite drastic measures he takes if that's the case. The consequences will be interesting to see, maybe if FA is silent in the future the message hit home :confused:

#92 MMandi

MMandi

• 137 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 23:03

This seems to be getting out of hand, to be honest I only expect the Ferrari team to be demotivated a little to be honest after this I'm not expecting progress

#93 Wolfie

Wolfie

• 1,330 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 23:03

If you are right it means that the gloves are off :|

#94 mardmarium

mardmarium

• 489 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 23:54

This seems to be getting out of hand, to be honest I only expect the Ferrari team to be demotivated a little to be honest after this I'm not expecting progress

It seems to be in Alonso's hands right now. At the moment he keeps silent, so we can´t know what his opinion is. If he sees what has happened as a personal attack, that he is not free to express his opinion, what he feels or thinks, then things will surely get worse. If Alonso gets the message, if he understands that, in LdM mind, it was a way to maintain the unity of the team, to keep working and give the best for the team no matter the circumstances (it’s quite obvious that these were LdM intentions, he has tried to explain the motivations behind his first words after all), then things can only get better.

To be honest, I don´t know

#95 luckykun

luckykun

• 17 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:33

One thing should be clear that always employer/company is bigger than individual and we can't downgrade them publicly every time you are dissatisfied. Those should be discussed internally. I do agree that Alonso is great driver but I was really fed up with his comments like "fighting newey" and "car 6/10th off the pace". I believe that any of top 4 current drivers(vettel/Lewis/kimi) would have scored same no of wdc points(+/- 10) in that F2012 and Ferrari would be 3rd in WCC.

One thing I do not understand is why did he extend his contract if he is so unhappy. Is it the right way ? Why complicate by extending than try to get out of it? I am not justifying LdM comments though, but just wish Alonso handled the situation differently.

#96 MaxisOne

MaxisOne

• 2,342 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:07

But is this public chiding going to work with Alonso? Can he be brought in line this way? The last time Alonso was controlled/made submissive to authority was when he was forced to reveal the truth on Spygate by FIA on investigation. Alonso's future in F1 was threatened by FIA to make him tell what he know about the Spygate saga which comprehensively implicated McLaren. In that case, it was FIA and the sort of authority they had in that episode is limitless and I don't see this situation as like that. Alonso is not going to be made submissive by the Master Charmer, de Montezemolo.

Im sure Lotus will pick him up if he gets kicked ... but kicked he will get from the Red team (and rightly so) if he doesnt mind his p's and q's ... Team above driver.. If you keep slagging your team in public and they have been talking to you behind closed doors and you keep it up then i have no problem with you receiving a public rebuke.. Ferrari is not the team i support .. but it is a team i respect .. as well as Mclaren and Williams .. they are the established teams and Alonso is but one of many great drivers that have and will pass through their doors.

Monty talks alot of trash sometimes but this is one time i cannot fault him. Its not like the team isnt trying to give him a decent car. Im sure they are working their asses off!!

If i was a team member and the driver told me he wished he was in another car i would be like.. ok then ... go get it .. !! That comment about wishing for another car probably demotivated a few people.. and demotivation is NOT what Ferrari needs right now. Hence the rebuke..

#97 Winter98

Winter98

• 638 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:41

One thing should be clear that always employer/company is bigger than individual and we can't downgrade them publicly every time you are dissatisfied. Those should be discussed internally. I do agree that Alonso is great driver but I was really fed up with his comments like "fighting newey" and "car 6/10th off the pace". I believe that any of top 4 current drivers(vettel/Lewis/kimi) would have scored same no of wdc points(+/- 10) in that F2012 and Ferrari would be 3rd in WCC.

One thing I do not understand is why did he extend his contract if he is so unhappy. Is it the right way ? Why complicate by extending than try to get out of it? I am not justifying LdM comments though, but just wish Alonso handled the situation differently.

Perhaps because Ferrari might be the only top team that will have him, other than perhaps Lotus.

RBR isn't going to hire him after his "Racing Newey" comments belittling SV, and his history when paired with a driver of equal skill.

Ron Dennis and McLaren probably won't have him.

Mercedes won't take a chance on another Hamilton/Alonso pairing, even if they did have man crushes on each other last season.

That leaves Lotus, who are in financial difficulties, and I think would be a step down from Ferrari.

#98 JaredS

JaredS

• 1,142 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:51

I also don't agree with him that aerodynamics is irrelevant in road cars. Look at some of the advances with road cars now on the aerodynamic side. The McLaren P1 is going to destroy all other production road cars around a track and that's going to be a large part due to its aerodynamics. Of course many other aspects of F1 are transferrable to road cars, e.g KERS, exotic materials etc.

LdM comes across to me as dismissive of aerodynamics simply because his team is lacking in it. If they were dominant due to aero, he'd love it. If in 2014, his team struggles because it has built a poor engine, you'll hear LdM whining that turbos are not within the spirit of F1. But instead if their engine is dominant, he'll be waxing lyrical at how this proves Ferrari's technical capability in engines and the engine changes are exactly what F1 needs.

In short, if something suits Ferrari = good. If it doesn't suit, then = unfair.

#99 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,870 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:54

I also don't agree with him that aerodynamics is irrelevant in road cars. Look at some of the advances with road cars now on the aerodynamic side. The McLaren P1 is going to destroy all other production road cars around a track and that's going to be a large part due to its aerodynamics. Of course many other aspects of F1 are transferrable to road cars, e.g KERS, exotic materials etc.

LdM comes across to me as dismissive of aerodynamics simply because his team is lacking in it. If they were dominant due to aero, he'd love it. If in 2014, his team struggles because it has built a poor engine, you'll hear LdM whining that turbos are not within the spirit of F1. But instead if their engine is dominant, he'll be waxing lyrical at how this proves Ferrari's technical capability in engines and the engine changes are exactly what F1 needs.

Luca's comments about the 'unfair aerodynamics' of Red Bull are very ironic. Remember, Enzo Ferrari used to say: 'Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines.'

Advertisement

#100 P123

P123

• 23,959 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:36

That's exactly it. So long as everything is in their favour then all is fine and well. Technical veto- brilliant. FIA pandering to Ferrari's whims- brilliant. Endless testing- brilliant. Their own secret Pirelli testing- brilliant. Instead of ranting at the world he should be looking closer at home, albeit that may involve admitting that he has serious shortcomings of his own.