- - - - -

Anthony Hamilton v Di Resta Pt2

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#101 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:51

I think that people are simply not familiar with what happens at a trial in England. This sort of thing is normal.... people being described as dishonest, incompetent in strong terms etc.... sometimes its true but mostly is it is hyped up for theatrical purposes by the silks.

I personally wouldnt judge anyone based on how they came across in court..... good or bad   

Advertisement

#102 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:08

You know, when I first read about this court case I thought it would hurt Di Resta's career more than that of Anthony Hamilton. I was wrong, I was completely wrong. Every detail that comes out shows how incredible talented Lewis Hamilton must be. To imagine: making F1 and making it big despite having this Anthony as your manager and mentor.

My word!

It's a good thing he was managed by McLaren since his early years. I don't think his father should be played up as any instrumental influence on his career apart from trying to cash in on "the Hamilton brand" once his son was established in F1. 

#103 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,857 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:36

I think that people are simply not familiar with what happens at a trial in England. This sort of thing is normal.... people being described as dishonest, incompetent in strong terms etc.... sometimes its true but mostly is it is hyped up for theatrical purposes by the silks.

I personally wouldnt judge anyone based on how they came across in court..... good or bad   

Correct. But I have to say losing a box full of Blackberry's with sensitive material is damning in all instances. On purpose; it is very fishy. By accident; you're a flake.

Whatever the silks say!

#104 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 13:13

Correct. But I have to say losing a box full of Blackberry's with sensitive material is damning in all instances. On purpose; it is very fishy. By accident; you're a flake.

Whatever the silks say!

Don't forget  they not only disappeared but now half of them has come back on their own. Which of course  means if there's evidence in Hamiltons defense on the devices he's looking good, but if they've been tampered with it must have happened while they were away. Pretty much like that careless security firm messing with A. Hamiltons ipad... :smoking:

#105 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 20:05

I personally wouldn't judge anyone based on how they came across in court..... good or bad   

Well, that is what the judge(s) and jury (where applicable - not in this case) have to go on, and on nothing else.  That is how the system works.  Even if in real life you are a cross between Mandela and Mother Teresa, if you come across in court like Silvio Berlusconi, it is on that basis that you will be judged.

#106 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 2,826 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 21:49

Well, that is what the judge(s) and jury (where applicable - not in this case) have to go on, and on nothing else.  That is how the system works.  Even if in real life you are a cross between Mandela and Mother Teresa, if you come across in court like Silvio Berlusconi, it is on that basis that you will be judged.

Well until recently, Silvio Berlusconi's record in Italian courts was remarkably good - and Nelson Mandela spent a lot longer in jail than SB ever will!

#107 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,857 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 19:03

Well until recently, Silvio Berlusconi's record in Italian courts was remarkably good - and Nelson Mandela spent a lot longer in jail than SB ever will!

That is because Mandela actually confessed in court. He denied planning terrorism, but he said he planned sabotage, because, as he explained, against a state that uses violence and oppression against democratic expressions of the people, violence was in his eyes justifiable.

Berlusconi would never admit anything he has done ofcourse...

Edited by Nemo1965, 19 December 2013 - 19:07.

#108 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 19:39

Only on the internet...... :rolleyes:

#109 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,857 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:45

Are the rolling eyes for me?  :confused:

#110 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 20:01

Are the rolling eyes for me?  :confused:

Yes.

#111 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,857 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 18:04

I thought so. I pm'd you.

#112 MustangSally

MustangSally

• 1,151 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 15:02

Whatever the silks say!

I am still fascinated that anyone would buy Blackberrys by the boxful. (Or should it be called a punnet?)

It can't possibly be normal practice, since Blackberry just posted a $4.4bn loss.

And why would anyone put a boxful of Blackberrys in a 'disused letterbox' in the first place? Which probably can't be described as disused if it has been used to store a boxful of Blackberrys. 

Curiouser and curiouser.

#113 pdac

pdac

• 17,218 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:56

Did this case finish? What was the outcome? It seems that people stopped reporting on it around th 17th Dec when it was due to finish in a couple of days.

#114 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:35

The verdict has been delayed after Hamilton's "missing" Blackberry's mysteriously reappeared. Although only 3 of the 8 which were originally missing have shown up. It is a tad... strange.

http://uk.eurosport....850199--f1.html

Edited by olliek88, 19 January 2014 - 12:35.

#115 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,738 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 14:00

Anyone notice how in the John Button obits, journalists and commentators were all keen to say that he was an exemplary Racing Dad, 'unlike SOME OTHERS we could mention'? Wonder who they could've been referring to?

#116 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 14:19

I think it would be inappropriate to comment on anything related too someone's ability as a "racing dad". That's not fair game IMHO, regardless of what you or i might think.

#117 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 14:41

The Buttons are more popular than The Hamiltons. Which always seemed irrelevant to me because the laptimer doesn't care.

#118 Juggles

Juggles

• 902 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:41

I think it would be inappropriate to comment on anything related too someone's ability as a "racing dad". That's not fair game IMHO, regardless of what you or i might think.

Indeed. I think the fact we've heard of both John Button and Anthony Hamilton through the achievements of their sons suggests they were both bloody good "racing dads" (whatever that even means).

I hate how entitled the press thinks it is when it comes to moral judgement.

#119 taran

taran

• 4,464 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:27

Indeed. I think the fact we've heard of both John Button and Anthony Hamilton through the achievements of their sons suggests they were both bloody good "racing dads" (whatever that even means).

I hate how entitled the press thinks it is when it comes to moral judgement.

True. It seems that if a driver is not properly 'grounded', meaning he likes pretty girls, parties and spending his money, he is unhappy with life and acting out, which is all the result of a domineering racing dad who forced him to compete so he could live out his own dreams....(for racing dad, insert tennis dad, golfing dad etc.)

Comparing Button to Hamilton seems especially funny to me as Button went through the same phase before being sainted by the British press. He had the slew of pretty girlfriends, the lifestyle excesses (to the point that even Flav the Impaler said he had to tone it down, for god's sake) and the team ditching him...Sure, Hamilton is going through this to some extent but we shouldn't forget these are mostly young guys with a lot of money. Some partying and/or poor choices is to be expected IMO. They're just human after all.

Advertisement

#120 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:46

Some of us knew about John Button long before Jenson became known as a driver.  He was a top level driver in British Rallycross which was televised in those happier days.  Racing Dad came later.

#121 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 15:03

I really don't think it is appropriate to discuss and compare racing Dads in this thread.  I can see how it might be interesting to point out the comments in reporting, but it really has no relevance to this case.

#122 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 16:03

Could I float the idea it affects the coverage of said cases?

#123 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 18:04

The verdict has been delayed after Hamilton's "missing" Blackberry's mysteriously reappeared. Although only 3 of the 8 which were originally missing have shown up. It is a tad... strange.

Once again ... it is perfectly normal for there to be a delay between the end of a case and the judgment.

Too many folks are projecting their dislike for Hamilton onto fairly ordinary occurrences and coming up with conclusions that are based on their (somewhat ignorant) views and not on the actual reality.   

#124 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 19:58

Could I float the idea it affects the coverage of said cases?

Sure, and I agree that it does.  But that's not the same discussion as "Dad X is a decent bloke, but Dad Y is a toss pot".

#125 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,944 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 20:13

Anyone notice how in the John Button obits, journalists and commentators were all keen to say that he was an exemplary Racing Dad, 'unlike SOME OTHERS we could mention'? Wonder who they could've been referring to?

Piquet?

#126 pdac

pdac

• 17,218 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 20:18

Cheers

#127 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,643 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 17:56

Settled out of court, apparently.

@danielt_johnson: So just checked out with @pauldirestaf1's management - have indeed settled it seems. An order was filed which dismisses the claim

(That tweet from Tom Cary's replacement at The Telegraph, btw.)

#128 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 18:01

I'm still lost. There was a sponsorship at some point right? Someone received money, argument was over whether everyone got paid what they were entitled to?

#129 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,643 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 18:25

I'm still lost. There was a sponsorship at some point right? Someone received money, argument was over whether everyone got paid what they were entitled to?

I think that was part of what was being disputed, whether AH profited on a failed sponsorship deal, justifying PDR's grounds for dismissing him. How viable the deal was in the first place and who, if anybody, did profit on it wasn't established in court and I guess now never will be.

A massively confusing case all round.

#130 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 18:44

I just don't remember di Resta having an energy drink sponsorship. 

#131 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,643 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 18:54

Well, it never did happen in the end. The catalyst for AH's dismissal seemed tied, one way or another, to the collapse of the deal before it was ever signed.

Edited to add: @danielt_johnson:'Interesting the Hamilton is effusive about di Resta in his statement, whereas the Scot makes no mention of Hamilton whatsoever...'

AAAARGH The knowing journo nods that actually say bugger all are so annoying.

#132 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,266 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 19:50

That doesn't say bugger all. It speaks volumes.

#133 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,643 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 20:31

That doesn't say bugger all. It speaks volumes.

Eh, not really beyond Anthony Hamilton seeming happier/ more forthcoming about the outcome than PDR. I will just go ahead and let people form their own view on how significant and meaningful it might be to describe someone as 'seeming happier than Paul Di Resta', I guess. (No offence intended, Paul fans. He's probably a lovely person but to paraphrase Wodehouse, unlikely to be ever confused for a ray of sunshine.)

Still, I concede I cannot really ask you to speculate on why you reckon it's all so obvious because I imagine it would take us sailing out around the choppy waters of the Bay of Libel again.

#134 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:18

I thought the argument was over where Anthony Hamilton had placed all his 200 different cell phones?