http://motor.as.com/...708_538819.html

I think it´s cristal clear

Advertisement

#2 motorhead

motorhead

• 1,563 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:02

Translation would be nice

Edited by motorhead, 22 December 2013 - 11:11.

#3 Radion

Radion

• 2,524 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:02

Yes, it's clear he hasn't met hamilton or vettel yet...  ;)

Edited by Radion, 22 December 2013 - 11:04.

#4 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:07

I'm sure Michael Schumacher will welcome those comments!

#5 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,951 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:09

Team manager in praising number 1 driver shocker.

I'm sure that there will be a quote from Sauber as to how Gutierrez is the second coming of Nuvolari or something.

#6 Group B

Group B

• 14,507 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:10

This.

#7 Hans V

Hans V

• 651 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:22

Montezemolo talks a lot and but don't say very much. His fondness for quality bullshit reached a peak when he commented the 1999 Barge-board gate, when Ferrari were caught cheating but was cleared by the FIA days later (copied from Nigel Roebucks article; "The Farce of the 1999 Title Deciser" in Motorsportmagazine.com 20.12.13);

“This verdict reaffirms the values of the sport, which has inspired Ferrari over 50 years, and restores to us and our fans the great victory achieved on the track, which confirms the quality of our work. “We worked quietly in order to demonstrate to the Court in a professional and incontrovertible manner the fundamental truth which led to the decision, which has put to rights so many unjust interpretations levelled against us these past few days, about which I was very unhappy.” I think his Alonso praise is a way of justifying both Alonsos retainer and Raikkonen to Santander.

Edited by Hans V, 22 December 2013 - 11:23.

#8 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,679 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:34

I'm sure Michael Schumacher will welcome those comments!

I think between them (Schumi & Montezuma) never was a close or friendly relationship. Schumi was Angelli's/Todt's man in the Scuderia. That's why lot's of us think that LdM move them out of the team (and they didn't win the WDC since then).

#9 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:36

No doubt.

That said, I liked this part: "Schumacher corrió en un momento diferente y no sería justo compararlos directamente, como cuando a él se le comparaba con Senna, pero para mí, con todo respeto, Alonso es el mejor piloto que he visto”. It's amazing how you can say both these things seconds apart. That's Di Motezemolo, I guess. :p

#10 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,950 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:43

Well he's hardly going to say anything else is he?

I can't wait till the season starts and we have 200 more Alonso or Raikkonen threads every weekend. :rolleyes:

Edited by JHSingo, 22 December 2013 - 11:43.

#11 indian

indian

• 1,192 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:49

Of course it's true. When LdM wanted to meet Kimi, he was told to **** off. There's even a video of it on YouTube.

#12 ArkZ

ArkZ

• 611 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:49

http://www.caranddri...paign=hootsuite

Here's the big part of LDM christmas speech, it's in spanish and translator is not perfect, so someone who knows this language would be welcome.

#13 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 12:28

I think between them (Schumi & Montezuma) never was a close or friendly relationship. Schumi was Angelli's/Todt's man in the Scuderia. That's why lot's of us think that LdM move them out of the team (and they didn't win the WDC since then).

I am sure Raikkonen would be pleased to hear he didn't win the WDC 

Also he'd be very pleased about LdM comments

#14 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 12:47

I am sure Raikkonen would be pleased to hear he didn't win the WDC 

Also he'd be very pleased about LdM comments

I think he meant Todt (as well), he was there in 2007.

#15 Wanderer

Wanderer

• 292 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 13:22

Shame it's too late for a 'Opening Post of the Year' nomination.

#16 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,665 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 13:46

Montezemolo´s full interview (Spanish):

http://motor.as.com/...708_538819.html

Crystal clear about what? That the President of Ferrari has lavished praise on his own driver? We ask that people start a new thread if there's something to discuss, so thanks but I'm not really sure what your point is here in opening this one. It's probably not helped by the fact that the text is in Spanish, meaning the bulk of readers are going to have to bounce the text through google translate on text that presumably was already translated into Spanish in the first place.

I'll leave the thread for now, but please respond to refine the focus a bit to give people a better chance of responding to you constructively. If not, unless a way forward emerges naturally that's not covered by the other thread about his speech re: Kimi, it will be closed.

#17 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 14:02

Alonso is not the worst name he could mention, I see a reasonable argument for him being better than Vettel or Schumi at this stage.

Anyone know if he met Senna or Prost, I presume he did at some stage as he became president of Ferrari in November of 1991. Even then, its not the worst choice, even if it is a biased viewpoint.

Edit: This is the most telling quote

"Very good season again Fernando. It has come second with a car that was not the second. Point. My concern is to give a better car because then it will be second. It is the best driver I've ever met in my life. It's quick, intelligent. Considering the talent, pure speed, career management, think of the F-1 day and night ... Schumacher ran in a different time and it would be unfair to compare them directly, as when he was compared to Senna, but for me, with all respect, Alonso is the best driver I've ever seen. "

Edited by sennafan24, 22 December 2013 - 14:05.

#18 g1n

g1n

• 894 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 14:20

This guy is blowing hot and cold.

#19 apoka

apoka

• 5,878 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 14:28

It would be a) nice to have some direction for the things to be discussed in the thread and b) a good translation of the original source (in Italian I guess).

Advertisement

#20 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 4,543 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 15:28

Luca has short memory...

Late 1990s Schumacher is as good, if not better than Fernando.

If Kimi beats Fernando next year, what's Luca gonna say?

He forgets how bad Ferrari were before Michael was there, 1991-1995, The Scuderia only won TWICE... Then in '96, Michael wins 3 times, which is more than the entire '91-'95 period......

Don't get me wrong, Fernando IS the best on the grid, but to say he's THE best Luca has seen is quite high.

Edited by George Costanza, 22 December 2013 - 15:52.

#21 geGR

geGR

• 1,749 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 15:44

So, after the summer tweeking-ear-nonsense, LdM is on full a**-licking mode again. Interesting. Must be the Christmas spirit.

#22 JohnDoe

JohnDoe

• 33 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 16:14

Dear Santa, Please send me the list of all drivers Luca has met.

#23 F1Champion

F1Champion

• 3,268 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 16:24

Luca is bound to say this. Alonso is the number one driver with still no WDC. Luca massages the ego to keep him happy at the end of another poor season by Ferrari. He knows Alonso could walk in 2014 to McLaren if he wants. IMO Michael was a better driver as he was a team player and kept his comments in the team and did his part to make sure the dream team period stayed alive as long as period.

Luca will say anything to advance his motifs.

#24 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 16:25

Luca has short memory...

Late 1990s Schumacher is as good, if not better than Fernando.

If Kimi beats Fernando next year, what's Luca gonna say?

He forgets how bad Ferrari were before Michael was there, 1991-1995, The Scuderia only won TWICE... Then in '96, Michael wins 3 times, which is more than the entire '91-'95 period......

Don't get me wrong, Fernando IS the best on the grid, but to say he's THE best Luca has seen is quite high.

Decent points my man.

But, there is a argument the other way as well. Alonso fighting against the superior Red Bull in 2010-2013 has been reminiscent of Schumi fighting against the Williams/McLaren cars of the late 90's (with the difference of Seb being far superior to Hill/J.V, and probably outright better than Mika other than 1998)

Its the same principle just under different rules and regulations. 

Schumi in 1996 was fed a worse car relative to the field than what Alonso was in 2012, but Alonso's 2012 was critically acclaimed more than any drivers indivdual performance in recent history.

Alonso long drought of titles should not take away from the great seasons he has produced, I do not rate him outright better than Schumi, but I can see the argument for him.

#25 wrcva

wrcva

• 1,254 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 16:27

So, after the summer tweeking-ear-nonsense, LdM is on full a**-licking mode again. Interesting. Must be the Christmas spirit.

Xmas time, how could he ignore $anta(nder) 

Edited by wrcva, 24 December 2013 - 14:11.

#26 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,300 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 16:33

I certainly think Schumacher was an easier man to work with than Alonso. He was never to be heard criticising the team in public, or getting caught out talking to Williams or Mclaren when they were beating Ferrari. In that sense, Monty's comments surprise me.

Not really trying to make a point about his honesty, just an observation  :wave:

#27 mardmarium

mardmarium

• 489 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 16:34

It would be a) nice to have some direction for the things to be discussed in the thread and b) a good translation of the original source (in Italian I guess).

I don´t know what´s exactly discussed here and I haven´t seen or heard the Italian source so I cannot translate it directly from Italian, I can make a translation from the Spanish article (having Italian and Spanish family helps in cases like this). Well, I’ll talk about the most interesting quotes (there are interesting quotes, at least as a Ferrari supporter) in my opinion (quick translation)

Ferrari is F1 and F1 is Ferrari…for me F1 is my life, maybe for Mateschitz it´s a business matter and this year Red Bull has been better, without any doubt, Vettel is a great driver…he is very good, focused, we congratulate him. Behind Alonso my favorite driver with Hamilton, and Kimi, if course.

…Alonso is the strongest of them all and there isn´t any problem with him. It was a logical thing he got angry, we must give him a competitive car, we didn´t, we failed the second half of the season…he´s been second with a car that hasn´t been second, period…He is the best driver I´ve ever met, quick, intelligent…Schumacher drove in another time and it wouldn´t be fair to compare them, just like when people compared Schumacher to Senna, but in my opinion, with all due respect, Alonso is the best driver I´ve ever seen.

…No, I am not happy with my friend Ron Dennis talking so much about Alonso, he has good drivers, Button is a class driver and Alonso has a contract with us. We have problems, but not the number one driver. We have Alonso and I am happy, we’ll talk in two years.

Neither the one nor the two (“ni el uno ni el dos” not sure what LdM said here or what the Spanish journalist try to say, I don’t know if LdM talks about number one and number two driver or about one and the other driver), because the other one is a certain Kimi Raikkonen: I think we’ve made the correct decision, I am happy I´ve followed Domenicali recommendations about Kimi, when I met him, I noticed he was fitted and motivated. I´ve liked that he has been well received both inside and outside the team.

We´d need more facts and less words…we were poor in installations and technicians after Ross Brawn and Rory Byrne time. We were at rock bottom in aerodynamics, what makes the difference nowadays. Now everything is in order, we have James Allison, we´ve improved the wind tunnel, the simulator with Pedro de La Rosa help, the engine is important again and that’s a good thing, tests are something interesting as well. We have to win again.

#28 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 16:36

I certainly think Schumacher was an easier man to work with than Alonso. He was never to be heard criticising the team in public, or getting caught out talking to Williams or Mclaren when they were beating Ferrari. In that sense, Monty's comments surprise me.

Good point.

That is the one area I still rate Schumi over Alonso to a great degree.

#29 nosecone

nosecone

• 1,938 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 17:08

Did he ever met Senna?

Edited by nosecone, 22 December 2013 - 17:08.

#30 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 17:13

Did he ever met Senna?

I presume so, if he started managing Ferrari in 1991, he would have seen Senna in 1992-1994, he even says in the article that he is basing it on what he has "seen"

Even though I disagree, saying Alonso is better than Senna is not the worst thing. There is bias to all of this, but its not a insulting opinion.

#31 apoka

apoka

• 5,878 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 17:25

I presume so, if he started managing Ferrari in 1991, he would have seen Senna in 1992-1994, he even says in the article that he is basing it on what he has "seen"

Even though I disagree, saying Alonso is better than Senna is not the worst thing. There is bias to all of this, but its not a insulting opinion.

I don't know - personally I wouldn't rate Alonso on Senna/Schumacher level even though the opinion of LdM means something. However, after a season in which Alonso was certainly good, but not outstanding, this might also be a political move to keep him loyal at Ferrari to avoid the much speculated move to McLaren in 2015.

#32 discover23

discover23

• 9,302 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 17:40

His comments are nothing new. He's already said that Alonso is a combination of Lauda and Schumacher.. Alonso has the smarts of Lauda combined with the pace of Shumacher..

He insists in referring to Alonso as his #1 driver.

"Tenemos problemas, pero el piloto número uno no. Tenemos a Fernando y estoy contento. Hablamos en dos años”.

Eng: "We have problems, but the number 1 driver is not one. We have Fernando and I am happy, we talk in two years"

Edited by discover23, 22 December 2013 - 17:51.

#33 Arn

Arn

• 1,721 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 17:57

Just LdM doing his usual politics.

Since around the 2005 season and the clear emergence of Alonso and Raikkonen (Raikkonen clearly beat highly rated new teammate Montoya that year), there really hasn't been a clear best driver in F1. Especially not now when Hamilton and Vettel is also in the picture.

Before that, we had a decade where Schumacher was considered the best by most people and before him, it was Senna who was considered the best or atleast clear out right fastest.

Maybe Alonso is just unlucky that he is active during a very competitive period in F1.

#34 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 18:29

I'm sure that there will be a quote from Sauber as to how Gutierrez is the second coming of Nuvolari or something.

Well show it to us, then. :D

#35 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 18:40

Did he ever met Senna?

Meeting someone is not the same as having a recorded telemetry data bank of world champions to make a comparison.

A. Senna didnt and never will drive for Ferrari.

#36 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 20:19

I don't know - personally I wouldn't rate Alonso on Senna/Schumacher level even though the opinion of LdM means something. However, after a season in which Alonso was certainly good, but not outstanding, this might also be a political move to keep him loyal at Ferrari to avoid the much speculated move to McLaren in 2015.

Yeah it does probably involve some bias, and I do not really agree myself outright.

Someone on James Allen's site did argue recently that Alonso was better than Senna as he made fewer driver errors, in that he does not get caught up with backmarkers and can yield in order to collect more points finishes, which are critiques of Senna. I thought that was reasonable enough, even if I do not agree with the general point of Alonso being better.

Meeting someone is not the same as having a recorded telemetry data bank of world champions to make a comparison.

A. Senna didnt and never will drive for Ferrari.

Interesting viewpoint, I did not think of that  :up:

#37 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 20:31

The elephant in the room is the fact that Ferrari has failed to win any championship in F1 for the last 5 years.  The "major catastrophe" of a winless Ferrari in 2009 was supposed to be cured by the coming of Alonso.  He would find a way to win even in a car as poorly derived as the "F60" due to his talent, determination, feedback, and leadership - bragged Luca.  Although Ferrari hasn't had a car that bad since 2009, winning hasn't happened and year by year the fans become harder and harder to convince. 

Ferrari has resorted to everything from blaming itself, to blaming its drivers, to blaming the competition - but in the cold, harsh reality of daylight, the truth is that the whole kit and caboodle is at fault.  They can only hope that the influx of new employees gives them a much needed boost. 

Meanwhile Luca has realized that his last bout of including Alonso in the blame (ear-tweaking episode) has backfired in that now the franchise driver is flirting with the enemies.  As a result, Luca has reverted to Ground-Zero-Full-Aggrandize-Alonso mode in order to try to retain what he is beginning to suspect might be one of the best line-ups the sport has seen for a long while.  Kimi knows how sensitive Alonso is as well as anyone, so he will not be concerned by negative interpretations of Luca's speech with respect to himself. 

That's my take on it.

Edited by bourbon, 22 December 2013 - 20:35.

#38 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 20:54

The elephant in the room is the fact that Ferrari has failed to win any championship in F1 for the last 5 years.  The "major catastrophe" of a winless Ferrari in 2009 was supposed to be cured by the coming of Alonso.  He would find a way to win even in a car as poorly derived as the "F60" due to his talent, determination, feedback, and leadership - bragged Luca.  Although Ferrari hasn't had a car that bad since 2009, winning hasn't happened and year by year the fans become harder and harder to convince. 

I honestly do not think any driver could have won a WDC in the Ferrari since 2009. Lewis and Seb might have gotten close, but the lead driver in the RB would have a significant advantage more often than not.

I agree Ferrari need a serious readjustment to their practices.

#39 DaddyCool

DaddyCool

• 1,813 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 20:57

I wonder what the excuses will be if the greatest driver ever loses to either the drunk unmotivated moneywhore, mentally fragile wannabe gangster brandbuilder, or the lucky goldenboy who can only win with Newey rocketships.

Nothing against Alonso, but this constant hype is getting tiresome lately.

Advertisement

#40 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 21:01

I wonder what the excuses will be if the greatest driver ever loses to either the drunk unmotivated moneywhore, mentally fragile wannabe gangster brandbuilder, or the lucky goldenboy who can only win with Newey rocketships.

:down:

Please, this thread has provided a reasonable debate so far.

#41 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 21:40

I honestly do not think any driver could have won a WDC in the Ferrari since 2009. Lewis and Seb might have gotten close, but the lead driver in the RB would have a significant advantage more often than not.

I agree Ferrari need a serious readjustment to their practices.

I disagree - except I would not focus solely on the driver.  2010 was completely in Ferrari's hands to lose and I don't refer merely to the finale - there were many points throughout that season where Alonso/Ferrari failed - sometimes it was the team, other times it was the driver that was at fault.  Pinpointing them would likely carry us off topic, but the championship was entirely doable in my opinion.  2012 was also in Alonso/Ferrari's grasp; a tad better strategy and decision making and it was theirs.  Again, in the end, I blame "Ferrari" as they must all rise and fall together.  However those two years were clear missed championship wins for Ferrari, imo.

The above together with the fact that Ferrari has failed to produce a championship for 5 seasons (following 9 years of success, which remember, proceeded a drought), is the backdrop for Luca's speech.

Edited by bourbon, 22 December 2013 - 21:47.

#42 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 4,543 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 21:41

I am wiling to bet Andrea Stella would disagree with Luca on this.. He even said Kimi is more adapt than Michael Schumacher.

I would be incline to believe that Pat Symonds would disagree on this about Alonso, Senna and Schumacher.

http://www.motorspor...-on-schumacher/

Edited by George Costanza, 22 December 2013 - 21:42.

#43 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 22:00

I disagree - except I would not focus solely on the driver.  2010 was completely in Ferrari's hands to lose and I don't refer merely to the finale - there were many points throughout that season where Alonso/Ferrari failed - sometimes it was the team, other times it was the driver that was at fault.  Pinpointing them would likely carry us off topic, but the championship was entirely doable in my opinion.  2012 was also in Alonso/Ferrari's grasp; a tad better strategy and decision making and it was theirs.  Again, in the end, I blame "Ferrari" as they must all rise and fall together.  However those two years were clear missed championship wins for Ferrari, imo.

I agree Ferrari made mistakes in 2010 and 2012, I would say Alonso did in 2010, and to a lesser extent in 2012 also. (he did make mistakes in 2012, but very very few)

But you could underline mistakes Vettel/RB and Lewis/McLaren made, of course the latter was not prevent the succession of WDC's won. But, if you check back, Alonso in 2010 and 2012 did not make more mistakes than Vettel, Lewis or anyone else on the grid, or did not least underperform as much as them. At least not to a significant level.

I agree, it was "doable", but Alonso for me should be complimented on 2012, and to a lesser extent 2010 for getting that close to the WDC. He did his job very well in those years, and did not do his job badly in 2011 and 2013 either.

I personally do tend do think that Ferrari management rather than Alonso is to blame for the drought in titles (I know you did not point the finger at Alonso alone) The Elephant in the room though is the job that Red Bull have done all round from 2009-2013, as great as Vettel is, that team has produced in my view the best car the past 4 years, for Alonso to come close in 2010 and 2012 does pay tribute to his talent.

Edited by sennafan24, 22 December 2013 - 22:01.

#44 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,270 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 22:03

I am wiling to bet Andrea Stella would disagree with Luca on this.. He even said Kimi is more adapt than Michael Schumacher.

I would be incline to believe that Pat Symonds would disagree on this about Alonso, Senna and Schumacher.

If I am not mistaken, this is what Andrea Stella had to say when asked about the three WDCs he had worked with:

“Michael is a great racer, very strong in the race and very strong in the way he controlled the rear end of the car. He was very talented in this respect, even if he could be a bit too aggressive sometimes in the races.” “Kimi was very, very quick when the car was operating in a certain window. In this situation he can be the fastest, although when the car was not in that window, he had to work harder to find the optimal point with the car. And with Fernando, his strong point is that, basically, he does not have weak points! He is strong as a driver in the car in all conditions, from dry to extreme wet and outside the car, he is very consistent and strong mentally, which is very important in modern Formula One,” http://grandprix247....-no-weaknesses/

He does not sound as if he thought that Raikkonen was mode adaptable than Schumacher, but maybe you are referring to a different quote - could you please provide the link, so that we call all have the same info? :)

Edit: as for the interview quoted by the OP; I think that it all comes from the seme PC we have seen reported in other media before - I am quite sure that I have read those statements over the past few days in other websites.

Edited by Fontainebleau, 22 December 2013 - 22:04.

#45 discover23

discover23

• 9,302 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 22:18

where you got this from? Alonso did win races, to win a championship you need a car that is capable to do so and Alonso is no car designer./engineer, etc. It gets old to read these ludicrous posts from people..

Luca: "He is the strongest driver, and there are no problems with him. It was normal for him to get upset, we were supposed to give him a competitive car, and he didn't have one. We didn't do it in the second half of the season. He had a very good season, he came in 2nd in a car that was not second best"

The change in regulations came in 2009 and since then Ferrari has been playing catch up.

Edited by discover23, 22 December 2013 - 22:24.

#46 discover23

discover23

• 9,302 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 22:26

Maybe since Alonso was in his early 20s when he drove for Renualt and a little immature. Perhaps this is what he would base his judgment on.

Edited by discover23, 22 December 2013 - 22:27.

#47 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 4,543 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 22:27

If I am not mistaken, this is what Andrea Stella had to say when asked about the three WDCs he had worked with:

“Michael is a great racer, very strong in the race and very strong in the way he controlled the rear end of the car. He was very talented in this respect, even if he could be a bit too aggressive sometimes in the races.” “Kimi was very, very quick when the car was operating in a certain window. In this situation he can be the fastest, although when the car was not in that window, he had to work harder to find the optimal point with the car. And with Fernando, his strong point is that, basically, he does not have weak points! He is strong as a driver in the car in all conditions, from dry to extreme wet and outside the car, he is very consistent and strong mentally, which is very important in modern Formula One,” http://grandprix247....-no-weaknesses/

He does not sound as if he thought that Raikkonen was mode adaptable than Schumacher, but maybe you are referring to a different quote - could you please provide the link, so that we call all have the same info? :)

Edit: as for the interview quoted by the OP; I think that it all comes from the seme PC we have seen reported in other media before - I am quite sure that I have read those statements over the past few days in other websites.

Andrea Stella: “Kimi was able to do so many things behind the wheel that our engineers’ advice wouldn’t have been of help there. In that sense Kimi is better than Michael Schumacher. When I was working as Michael’s data engineer we always had to tell him accurately how he could drive faster in different corners according to the computer. With Kimi you don’t need these kind of advice. He finds the solutions himself.”    The only "source" I have is: http://kimiraikkonen...kimi-raikkonen/ (I know, its not a very good source, but its all I could find) Perhaps someone has the FULL quote somewhere...

In a way, Kimi is a bit more adaptable than Michael but, I agree with your comment with regarding Schumacher entrie career seems like he is more adaptable than anyone else.

Edited by George Costanza, 22 December 2013 - 22:33.

#48 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 4,543 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 22:28

Maybe since Alonso was in his early 20s when he drove for Renualt and a little immature. Perhaps this is what he would base his judgment on.

True for Michael as well, (he was only 22 went he went to Benetton in 1991, then stayed there until he was 26.

#49 discover23

discover23

• 9,302 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 22:35

True for Michael as well, (he was only 22 went he went to Benetton in 1991, then stayed there until he was 26.

Good. And did he compare these two drivers and said one was better - is there a source somewhere?

You are making an assumption here which is not a valid argument to contradict or discredit Luca's statement.

These were the last comments from Pat on Alonso:

“At Renault, we discussed at length Fernando’s contribution to the laptime,” he told Auto Motor und Sport, “because he is very expensive. But our feeling was that Fernando is worth half a second compared to a normal driver.”

“Compared to our drivers, it’s perhaps a little more than that, simply because they lack experience........”

Edited by discover23, 22 December 2013 - 22:45.

#50 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 4,543 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 22:51

Good. And did he compare these two drivers and said one was better - is there a source somewhere?

You are making an assumption here which is not a valid argument to contradict or discredit Luca's statement.

These were the last comments from Pat on Alonso:

“At Renault, we discussed at length Fernando’s contribution to the laptime,” he told Auto Motor und Sport, “because he is very expensive. But our feeling was that Fernando is worth half a second compared to a normal driver.”

“Compared to our drivers, it’s perhaps a little more than that, simply because they lack experience........”

Fair enough. I am just trying to make sense of Luca's words. If Luca thought hard about this, I do not believe he would say this about Fernando, however. Michael was the main man who brought Ferrari its first championship since 1979. So that's quite large pressure on a driver to do that. Fernando, is, in my opinion the very best driver on the grid and of his generation today, but is he really better than Michael? Or as for 2014, Kimi will be the one to watch.

As for as Pat, he is most likely correct about Fernando's speed in terms of pace and racing.