Photo
- - - - -

RBR could drop Oz appeal under pressure from FIA over Vettel's remarks on new F1

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 3,620 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 23:02

http://www1.skysport...ebastian-vettel

It is an interesting twist to the existing paradigm. FIA is reputedly suggested to be holding Vettel's remark (about devolution of F1) against RBR, and getting them to drop their appeal...

Finally the ones who were suggesting that RBR and FIA are in cahoots can perhaps stop spreading fud.

note to mods: do merge it with existing thread if it seems unnecessary to have another thread. apologies if it adds to your work.

Advertisement

#2 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 23:07

a) it's pure speculation on Hughes part ... if anything, it'd be mighty weird for the FIA to 151c Vettel 4 days after the fact (the comment was made Thursday right?)

b) even if it was true (which I don't think it is) if I were RB I 'd let the FIA 151c Vettel over the comment, the egg as far as the public at large is concerned, would be firmly planted in the FIA's face if that happened

#3 P123

P123

• 23,938 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 23:23

I think the FIA have enough to kick Red Bull around the room with without any need to use Vettel's comments as leverage.

However, way back when the grooved tyres came in they gave JV a ticking off for him voicing his disapproval, so they probably have a similar attitude to Vettel's recent comments.

#4 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 3,620 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 23:28

a) it's pure speculation on Hughes part ... if anything, it'd be mighty weird for the FIA to 151c Vettel 4 days after the fact (the comment was made Thursday right?)

b) even if it was true (which I don't think it is) if I were RB I 'd let the FIA 151c Vettel over the comment, the egg as far as the public at large is concerned, would be firmly planted in the FIA's face if that happened

Hughes is way too biased when it comes to certain things (erm FIA), and what i found scary when i interacted with him, was that he was not even willing to concede the point that he may be incorrect/ WRONG (it had to be said in all caps :p )!.

When i read your comment part b twice... i agree that it actually is going to make FIA look like proper t0$$^r$.

#5 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:19

Vettel doing all he can to damage his teammate's chances?

#6 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:24

I love the fact that News International censors the word **** on Sky News website, but still has boobs on page three. Anyhow, Vettel should be able to air his views, they are the views of a significant number of fans, and this is not 1984 yet.

#7 FatHippo

FatHippo

• 189 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:27

Wow, that's got to be the most moronic post I've seen in a while. Are you really insinuating that he swore deliberately in the hope FIA would use that to blackmail his team into dropping the appeal. I can' decide whether to pity you or call an ambulance.

#8 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 7,032 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:31

That is the hallmark of a quadruple World Champion.  :cool:

To be a champion, you have to beat your teammate first.

Hamilton knows this all too well this year. His competition in that rocket ship is not Vettel, but Rosberg.

#9 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:29

I haven't read the article yet, but I'm already dumber just from reading the posts, so I don't have high hopes.

#10 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:37

I haven't read the article yet, but I'm already dumber just from reading the posts, so I don't have high hopes.

I'm sorry to drag you into that but I made the mistake of reading the article and then reading some comments in this thread, and I will drag you down to it as well. 

Vettel said the cars sound ****. 

Todt got very upset. According to Mark Hughes. Who once wrote a rap column to illustrate that is how Hamilton talks. 

According to Rap Hughes Todt will use that, not the rap but Vettels quite correct description of the sound of the new cars, against Red Bull in their appeal about the FFS (not For Ducks Sake) now working properly. 

And all this is according to some geniuses there part of Vettels grand master plan to destroy everything for Ricciardo. 

I'm sorry you are now a bit dumber because of me but I really just was the messenger here. 

#11 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:40

Uff, what a way to remove the little bits of personalities left in the drivers.

#12 Hyatt

Hyatt

• 1,561 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:45

didn't FIA investiage other teams for "bringing the sport into disrepute" in the past?

#13 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:49

didn't FIA investiage other teams for "bringing the sport into disrepute" in the past?

Max Mosley used to do it quite a bit when teams or drivers expressed opinions he didn't share. I don't think it has ever happened since Mosley left. 

Edited by LuckyStrike1, 31 March 2014 - 06:49.

#14 slideways

slideways

• 3,395 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:08

Mass regurgitation validated imagination.

#15 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,947 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:10

I love the fact that News International censors the word **** on Sky News website, but still has boobs on page three.

I know which I'd rather kiss.

#16 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:26

I do love how sports governing bodies (all sports) insist on the competitors giving press interviews and will fine them if they don't. But then lose their **** when one of them actually answers properly.

#17 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:34

What a load of tosh.

Vettel speaks his mind about the new engines and gives us some honesty which we all crave and because the FIA don't like it, they'll use it in a matter which is completely unrelated?

I know this is speculation and may not be true but if it is, what a complete embarrassment. This sport is in an absolute mess at the moment.

#18 wepmob2000

wepmob2000

• 709 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:50

What a load of tosh.

Vettel speaks his mind about the new engines and gives us some honesty which we all crave and because the FIA don't like it, they'll use it in a matter which is completely unrelated?

I know this is speculation and may not be true but if it is, what a complete embarrassment. This sport is in an absolute mess at the moment.

It really is isn't it ? :-( Vettel is a self-professed F1 geek, and like many other geeks on this board, he seems to genuinely think the new engines sound awful, I believe he's expressed this opinion more than once, although not as forcefully before now. If this story is true - and it reeks of a desperate speculative story to fill headlines during a dull week - then it'll be a travesty that drivers cannot speak freely....

#19 rtechmobile

rtechmobile

• 28 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:15

Surely Seb can't be penalized for being right? Or can he...

He can't be done for bringing the sport into disrepute because they do sound like poo and even it's plated in gold it's still poo.

Advertisement

#20 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,488 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:40

Frankly I think it's a nonsense story.

Just some light speculation: it might be one of those frivolous proposals from Bernie. "Peace in our time" and it makes the FIA look dumb - just what he wants.

#21 Coops3

Coops3

• 1,841 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:48

Sounds like a load of rubbish to me.

#22 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:56

I don't get the link between Seb's comment and RBRs appeal against the fuel flow DQ thingy.

I don't think there is a link.

#23 ReeVe

ReeVe

• 178 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:02

I don't get the link between Seb's comment and RBRs appeal against the fuel flow DQ thingy.

nobody says there is a link, the article is suggesting the threat of "bringing the sport in disrepute" can be used by the FIA to make RB withdraw its appeal, personally I think it's a laughable suggestion, the FIA will be ridiculed if they bring Vettel (or any driver) up on charges for a comment like that. But then again, it's the FIA, Mosley managed his anti-Ron campaign with total impunity for years ...

#24 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:08

Only just really catching up on this "story"

Is the journalist actually suggesting the FIA could blackmail Red Bull into dropping their appeal?

Now that sound like bringing the sport into disrepute to me :)

#25 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,300 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:26

What has Vettel swearing in an interview got to do with Ricciardo's fuel problems?

#26 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 1,667 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 13:11

Well, I think it's a load of crap, but I'd be rather annoyed IF there was any truth at all. Would Red Bull really sell Ricciardo out, to save Vettel from a sanction?

#27 4MEN

4MEN

• 1,556 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 13:16

Wait, why not replace drivers with lighter robots? Wait, why not an RC formula? ****!

#28 slideways

slideways

• 3,395 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 15:50

But then again, it's the FIA, Mosley managed his anti-Ron campaign with total impunity for years ...

Ron was battling FISA way before Mosley became president.

#29 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 16:41

Can't blame Sebastian for speaking the truth.

#30 FatHippo

FatHippo

• 189 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 16:49

According to http://www.thejudge13.com this tosser, it's the end of the world as we know it.

#31 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 3,620 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 16:55

I love the fact that News International censors the word **** on Sky News website, but still has boobs on page three. Anyhow, Vettel should be able to air his views, they are the views of a significant number of fans, and this is not 1984 yet.

This is the second time we are agreeing on something, and all too recently... :p

#32 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 3,620 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 16:58

Max Mosley used to do it quite a bit when teams or drivers expressed opinions he didn't share. I don't think it has ever happened since Mosley left. 

Actually, Mercedes got slammed with 151c last year...

Also, didn't Mosley do McLaren for Spygate and Renault for it too? So not exactly differing opinions is it?

#33 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 17:00

The link thin, but still, the FIA could also acuse and punish Red Bull for bringing the sport into disrepute on top of their Australian infractions.

#34 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 3,620 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 17:04

Ron was battling FISA way before Mosley became president.

Shh... Ron's perfect. Get on with the program :p

In my opinion, the media and Ron played the FIA for suckers for a long long time before they got caught with their pants down properly in 2007.

#35 Lemans

Lemans

• 2,739 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 17:05

I hope this isn't true. I always get a bit nervous when someone or something tries to silence opinions they don't like.

It always shocks me how thin-skinned and insecure huge entities like the F.I.A. can be.

Edited by Lemans, 31 March 2014 - 17:07.

#36 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 17:05

Shh... Ron's perfect. Get on with the program :p

In my opinion, the media and Ron played the FIA for suckers for a long long time before they got caught with their pants down properly in 2007.

aren't you mistaking them with good old Max?

#37 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 3,620 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 17:46

aren't you mistaking them with good old Max?

Actually Max was caught with his pants down literally, and McLaren were caught with theirs figuratively. However, both were caught with their pants down properly.

#38 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 7,032 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:42

According to http://www.thejudge13.com this tosser, it's the end of the world as we know it.

The same guy who said RBR will only fix their terminal engine issue by Silverstone?

2nd race and they are already on the podium.

#39 Mercedestorque1

Mercedestorque1

• 256 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:07

why does he have swear every time he's not happy? he did the same over the Karthikeyan incident. if this story is true then the FIA shouldn't tolerate it.

Advertisement

#40 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:45

why does he have swear every time he's not happy? he did the same over the Karthikeyan incident. if this story is true then the FIA shouldn't tolerate it.

think of the children ... what will happen to the children?

#41 stanga

stanga

• 1,124 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:53

http://www1.skysport...ebastian-vettel

It is an interesting twist to the existing paradigm. FIA is reputedly suggested to be holding Vettel's remark (about devolution of F1) against RBR, and getting them to drop their appeal...

Finally the ones who were suggesting that RBR and FIA are in cahoots can perhaps stop spreading fud.

note to mods: do merge it with existing thread if it seems unnecessary to have another thread. apologies if it adds to your work.

I'll believe it when I see it. In the mean time, the RBR-FIA love-in might still hold true.

#42 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:06

Anybody who actually believes that cant be reasoned with anyways.

#43 ultimatebourne

ultimatebourne

• 147 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:53

While I wholeheartedly agree with Seb's opinion on the noise, and quietly (not in front of my kids!) even agree with his choice of words to describe the sound, I've noticed that Seb quite often swears in front of the media. Even in podium interviews e.g 2012 Abu Dhabi where on the podium interview he said "We didn't f*&k it up". In other areas he doesn't seem like a stupid guy or come from a background on the wrong side of the tracks i.e he's from Heppenheim, not Stevenage. So I'm not sure why he continues to swear when there is some expectation that these boys serve as role models to young kids. I would have been very upset hearing him use the f-word on the podium if I was watching with young kids. Maybe he thinks it's cool?

#44 ThomFi

ThomFi

• 633 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 14:52

While I wholeheartedly agree with Seb's opinion on the noise, and quietly (not in front of my kids!) even agree with his choice of words to describe the sound, I've noticed that Seb quite often swears in front of the media. Even in podium interviews e.g 2012 Abu Dhabi where on the podium interview he said "We didn't f*&k it up". In other areas he doesn't seem like a stupid guy or come from a background on the wrong side of the tracks i.e he's from Heppenheim, not Stevenage. So I'm not sure why he continues to swear when there is some expectation that these boys serve as role models to young kids. I would have been very upset hearing him use the f-word on the podium if I was watching with young kids. Maybe he thinks it's cool?

As far as I know, he said it in front of German journalists in German language "Der Sound ist scheiße". And in Germany, also it's vulgar, it's not a big deal.

I'm obviously not a native speaker of the English language, but I think a translation like "the sound is crap" would make more sense, if you can assume, that the word "crap" is less vulgar than the word "s*it".

Edited by ThomFi, 02 April 2014 - 14:55.

#45 ultimatebourne

ultimatebourne

• 147 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 15:12

As far as I know, he said it in front of German journalists in German language "Der Sound ist scheiße". And in Germany, also it's vulgar, it's not a big deal.

I'm obviously not a native speaker of the English language, but I think a translation like "the sound is crap" would make more sense, if you can assume, that the word "crap" is less vulgar than the word "s*it".

I have a similar view that even in the English language - depending on country/area/person - using the word '****' is vulgar but not that big a deal. But Seb has used it previously and been pulled up on it previously. He used 'f&*k' previously which is without a doubt inappropriate and of course been pulled up on that. I would have thought after all that, he'd be staying well away even from minor swear words like ****, even if it's only vulgar and not a big deal. I can only surmise that he continues to do it either because he thinks it's cool and well Kimi does it and he likes Kimi - or he has just grown up using words like that and can't control speaking his normal way even in public.

#46 0Fritz

0Fritz

• 352 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 15:20

I have a similar view that even in the English language - depending on country/area/person - using the word '****' is vulgar but not that big a deal. But Seb has used it previously and been pulled up on it previously. He used 'f&*k' previously which is without a doubt inappropriate and of course been pulled up on that. I would have thought after all that, he'd be staying well away even from minor swear words like ****, even if it's only vulgar and not a big deal. I can only surmise that he continues to do it either because he thinks it's cool and well Kimi does it and he likes Kimi - or he has just grown up using words like that and can't control speaking his normal way even in public.

This reminds me of the AMC producers, a show where its not a problem to gore someones intestines, brain to bits, showing anal rape and 10 year old kids killing people with high powered rifles but they had to discuss whether Rick could use the word 'f***'.

As someone said: its a cultural thing. 

Edited by 0Fritz, 02 April 2014 - 15:20.

#47 RB1

RB1

• 65 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 15:24

I work with lots of people from around Europe and they do swear a lot when talking in English. I think it is because they learn english from TV. I asked some if they swear in their own language as much as they do in English and they said they hardly ever swear talking their own tongue but when talking in English it just comes out as a phrase. Like your example of the Abu Dhabi podium is a phrase you often hear.

#48 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 4,915 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 17:01

There are plenty of words in the English language to use without needing to swear. It's just ignorance, or maybe just trying to fit in & be a "cool kid".
I'm sure many people will disagree, but it's just not necessary.

#49 ollebompa

ollebompa

• 791 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 19:25

In my language the phrase 'vad fan' freely translates to 'what the ****' so when reaching for a replacment in English it's the closest available. However the severity of it is more in line with 'what the heck' or 'darn' and is spoken by people far down age wise. What he's saying probably mean something else to himslelf then to a native English speaker, this is also seems the be the reason some don't get all his jokes. I'm shure he has been told this since then.

As for the statement this thread was based on, it was made in German and translated by a journalist and may not represent what he accually said. That being said I think it's refreshing to hear something else then the usual drivel we are fed.

Edited by ollebompa, 02 April 2014 - 19:55.

#50 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 19:44

There are plenty of words in the English language to use without needing to swear. It's just ignorance, or maybe just trying to fit in & be a "cool kid".
I'm sure many people will disagree, but it's just not necessary.

Non native English speakers are exposed to English laguage films, TV and music that are full of people effing and blinding.  For instance, I first head Cee Lo Green's song "**** You" on the radio in Italy but found it was called "Forget You" when I got home to the UK.  You can't blame someone like Vettel if he doesn't quite understand the peculiar double standards that we apply.

Edited by BRG, 02 April 2014 - 19:44.