Scottish Manx Norton

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 atreyu

atreyu

• 3 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 23:11

Hello all,

I'm trying to trace the history of a Manx Norton, What I know is the bike was built from "new" parts by Jock Findlay in 1968. It was raced by him, George Buchan and Dennis Richardson. I believe it was retired mid 70's. The bike was loaned out to these riders by a Murray Garage.

Does anyone know the bike, have any pictures or information?

Advertisement

#2 Robin127

Robin127

• 508 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:36

Would that be the same Findlay who won the Junior and Senior MGP in 1968?

#3 greg1953

greg1953

• 430 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:37

He was a Croft regular in th early '70s, bloody quick too.

Greg

#4 atreyu

atreyu

• 3 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:20

Yes Robin, he is the same.

I have found one picture of Dennis Richardson on it in 1973 that I'll post later.

#5 motard

motard

• 33 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:42

Would that be the same Findlay who won the Junior and Senior MGP in 1968?

At the end of 1969, I bought the reputedly MGP winning 500 Manx from Jock. I went up to Musselburgh, paid my £375, and returned to London with it on the train. Started it in Kings Cross station before loading it in the van - you'd have heard it if you were north of the river. When it seized (the case hardening on a pusher peeled off and jammed the oil pump), Phil Kettle decided that this was probably NOT the MGP winner, but made from used parts. I remember the mag was stamped 1956. Wrote it off at Brandish a few years later, and Robins eldest brother had the frame straightened by Ken Sprayson, put a 750 engine in it, and had some good results on it. Sold the engine to George Beale, who put it on show in an acrylic case, and the rest went in the skip.

Happy days.

Tom

#6 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 13:42

Jock Findlay's 350 Manx was acquired  by Adam Easton, a fellow Musselburgh citizen. As far as I know, Adam swapped it for a Vincent with the (for me unknown) man who bought it from Jock initially. Tragically, Adam lost his life at the MGP in 2011, not on this particular bike I would like to add.

This 350 Manx is a genuine 1962 model, sold in January 63 to George Leigh Motorcycles of Southport.

This bike belongs now to a friend of mine. Any pictures of it taken during the Findlay era would be highly appreciated

Edited by Rennmax, 12 April 2014 - 13:48.

#7 LEMAIRE

LEMAIRE

• 3 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:19

He was a Croft regular in th early '70s, bloody quick too.

Greg

Hello all,

I'm trying to trace the history of a Manx Norton, What I know is the bike was built from "new" parts by Jock Findlay in 1968. It was raced by him, George Buchan and Dennis Richardson. I believe it was retired mid 70's. The bike was loaned out to these riders by a Murray Garage.

Hello all,

I have norton Manx (500cc) than were driving, George Buchan, and Jock Findlay in the year 1968.possible able give you information?

#8 LEMAIRE

LEMAIRE

• 3 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:51

La personne ma vendu la Norton Manx que pilotait george Buchant et jock findlay, dans les année 1964 a 1968 ,

La moto a toujours été localisée en ecosse et acheté neuve en 1962 par un ancien coureur Alan Smith,(peut être le 1 er acheteur de la moto est un Alexander a Edinbourgh)

pui d'autre Ecossais,conduit par jimmy Rae,george Buchan,de 1962 a 1968 gagnée 4 coursse,et participe régulierement

au coursse région northumberland.de 1969 A 1970 la moto est pilote par jock Findlay qui termine 2ém les deux année au TT île de Man

jock remporte le championnat ecosse les deux année

beaucoup de rensrignement sur George Buchan sur le livre (THE HITORY OF THE MANX GRAND PRIX 1923,1998 )

je recherche egalement renseignement pour refaire parcour de la moto

#9 LEMAIRE

LEMAIRE

• 3 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:00

The person my sold the Norton Manx that piloted, george Buchant and jock findlay in the year 1964 1968

The bike has always been located in Scotland and purchased new in 1962 by a former rider Alan Smith, (maybe 1 buyer of the bike is Alexander Edinburgh)

then other Scots, led by Jimmy Rae, George Buchan, from 1962 to 1968 earned 4 coursse and participates regularly

coursse the region northumberland.de 1969 1970 A motorcycle pilot is in Findlay jock who finished 2ém two year TT Isle of Man

scotland jock wins the championship two years

many rensrignement on George Buchan book (THE hitory OF THE MANX GRAND PRIX 1923.1998)

I More downloads search for information redo parcour motorcycle