Photo

Anthony Hamilton....

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
46 replies to this topic

#1 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 3,066 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 17:55

Is he an employee of McLaren? Just saw his interview to ITV after the race and they said McLaren wear red shirts to denote a win, he was also wearing one aswell.

If not then what does Anthony do for a living or does he just live off his sons success which would explain the obsession and meddling in the F1 world.

Advertisement

#2 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 17:58

A very mature, considered thread you've started here buddy, congratulations...

Last year Anthony Hamilton also wore the same red shirt worn by the whole McLaren team after a win. He runs a computer consultancy business in England.

#3 Domination

Domination

• 262 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 17:59

Originally posted by MichaelPM
Is he an employee of McLaren? Just saw his interview to ITV after the race and they said McLaren wear red shirts to denote a win, he was also wearing one aswell.

If not then what does Anthony do for a living or does he just live off his sons success which would explain the obsession and meddling in the F1 world.

He is Lewis's manager

#4 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 17:59

It's got to be said, get a LIFE!

#5 airwise

airwise

• 2,009 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 18:00

I think you will find he has devoted himself to supporting both Lewis and his handicapped brother for some years now. He has instilled in them a sense of decency and good manners that are a rarity in these days - a tribute to the hardwork and single mindedness of a single parent. . He also manages Lewis professionally.

Have you got a problem with that? Lewis and Mssrs Dennis and Haug don't appear to have

#6 Crazy Ninja

Crazy Ninja

• 1,379 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 18:03

Originally posted by airwise
I think you will find he has devoted himself to supporting both Lewis and his handicapped brother for some years now. He has instilled in them a sense of decency and good manners that are a rarity in these days - a tribute to the hardwork and single mindedness of a single parent. . He also manages Lewis professionally.

Have you got a problem with that? Lewis and Mssrs Dennis and Haug don't appear to have

:up: although i dont see why itv have to interview him every race :down:

#7 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 3,066 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 18:06

So he is a computer consultant, F1 driver manager, single parent that gives all his time to his kids and professional sound bite for ITV.

#8 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 18:07

Man.... the young boy named Lewis is upsetting soo many people...

His success today must have been eating you soo badly for the whole day... relax man!

Try to enjoy your Sunday and celebrate that F1 has started.

If your hate and anger doesnt go away, please come back and write on this BB, for therapeutical reasons. I wouldnt want you to take your hate and anger for LH out on your surroundings.

If you loose your internet connection for some reason: just pop in a tranquilizer and chill.

#9 Orin

Orin

• 8,444 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 18:11

Crikey, you sound a trifle sad and bitter. :wave:

#10 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 3,066 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 18:20

They gave Schumacher an excuse to be in the Ferrari garage, whats wrong with wondering why we cant go a race weekend without Mr. Hamilton senior being seen and heard.

Sorry if my opening post asking if he lives off his sons success is to harsh but it is a very valid question.

I have never said anything unfairly harsh against Lewis (yea sure you see I support Alonso and give the mindless responses ironically trying to paint me as the stereotypical one), he is a very talented driver and I respect that but his father is taking some extreme liberties with this sport while ITV are encouraging him which I admit annoys me.

#11 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 18:29

I seem to remember John Button guiding an early JB's career, did that annoy you too? AH is doing his job, which has many facets. I believe he has as much right to be seen and heard as the freeloaders on the grid, some would say more, it's a pity that you feel as you do, just the broken glass for breakfast maybe? Why so embittered as one so young :confused:

#12 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 18:31

They gave Schumacher an excuse to be in the Ferrari garage, whats wrong with wondering why we cant go a race weekend without Mr. Hamilton senior being seen and heard.

Sorry if my opening post asking if he lives off his sons success is to harsh but it is a very valid question.

I have never said anything unfairly harsh against Lewis (yea sure you see I support Alonso and give the mindless responses ironically trying to paint me as the stereotypical one), he is a very talented driver and I respect that but his father is taking some extreme liberties with this sport while ITV are encouraging him which I admit annoys me.

relax man, the Hamiltons come as a package and will stay as a package.

Just like Fittipaldi had his sexy wife waving to him from the pitwall, just like Senna came all by himself, just like Michael came with Willy Weber (the ultimate parasite), just like Mika came with his wife, just like Juan came with Connie and just like Fred arrives with his wife still pretending not to be married.

Ask the same question also about Massa's dad then... shouldnt the guy be at home too, or go to work tommorow? Why is he always in the Ferrari box? And giving quotes to Brasilian tv...?

I dont really see the point of this thread... if Anthony bothers you, just zapp to another channel for 30 seconds.

:rotfl:

#13 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 18:39

first of all he is LH manager. So as any manager he earns a salary. Whether he lives of his sons success... I think that is none of our business (us the great moralists on this earth).

Its a matter of the Hamiltons. If Lewis thinks and decides he should give back something to his family for all the hardship and efforts they made to let him enjoy karting, then that is his choice.

But I really dont understand the point of your thread... i mean... its a Hamiltons family internal business...

#14 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 18:59

Also consider that the race weekends come once every fortnight. So Anthony is not around his son 100 percent of the time. Anthony made huge sacrifices to get his son to motorsport's top level. He clearly loves it, so why shouldn't he be entitled to attended races with his son and his son's team? This is surely the most idiotic thread so far this season.

#15 Nathan

Nathan

• 7,101 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 21:36

I see some validity to the question asked. Beyond being his father, what qualifications does Anthony have to be a manager for Lewis? I can respect the support given through the years, but that is the case with many families in many diciplines. You look at a Nico and you can understand any direction given by his father. I could very much be mistaken, but it appears to me you have a normal merchant having possession of an extraordinary commodity and using that to his personal benefit. Nothing wrong with that, but nothing that earns that amount of attention received either.

#16 Nathan

Nathan

• 7,101 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 21:38

Originally posted by potmotr
He clearly loves it, so why shouldn't he be entitled to attended races with his son and his son's team? This is surely the most idiotic thread so far this season.

That is fair. But should the masses have to listen to the opinions of a guy simply because he, like I'm sure 21 other fathers in Formula-1, supported his son? To me is seems underserved attention.

#17 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,993 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 21:45

Originally posted by Nathan
I see some validity to the question asked. Beyond being his father, what qualifications does Anthony have to be a manager for Lewis?

Well, given that he's managed to manoeuvre his son into a team that nearly took him to the world title by the time he was 23, I should think he's done a heck of a lot better than, say, Fisi's management team...

#18 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 21:49

If not then what does Anthony do for a living or does he just live off his sons success which would explain the obsession and meddling in the F1 world

so what if he does... I'm sure he gave up a lot for his son...

what a stupid thread :down: :down: :down:

#19 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 21:49

That is fair. But should the masses have to listen to the opinions of a guy simply because he, like I'm sure 21 other fathers in Formula-1, supported his son? To me is seems underserved attention.

To be fair, it's not his fault that ITV keep showing him. Whilst hailing Lewis as a new British hero, ITV have at the same time subjected him and his family to chronic overexposure. I always thought broadcasters were supposed to be impartial but this is utterly ridiculous. Anthony seems like a nice guy but I'd rather have coverage of all 22 drivers equally. When was the last Nick Heidfeld feature they ran?

Advertisement

#20 Nathan

Nathan

• 7,101 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 21:56

I think you are glorifying things a touch. I have never read anything on the matter of Anthony convincing McLaren his son was worth 10+ years of investment. Nor by watching him on T.V. does anything suggest much salesmanship was needed. The version of the story I read was it was more Lewis popping the question to Ron in an off manner way. Maybe his dad gave him a push? Who paid his way through F3 and GP2, McLaren or sponsorship won by Anthony? (please, if you must respond to this post try and answer me that). How much did Anthony have to do with the firing/re-signing back in 2004?

This is nothing to knock Anthony, more ITV in my opinion. We had the same thing with old man Button.

Fisi's management team got him a paid ride with a mid pack team after only 8 races in a Minardi, then placed him in a championship team (before and during). The fact he has a ride at all this year I think has alot to do with his managements efforts, or perhaps the lacking of such regarding other drivers.

#21 Chui

Chui

• 1,033 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 22:06

it's amazing the lengths people take to take shots at Louis and his family. Get a life yourselves and quit watching... :

#22 Nathan

Nathan

• 7,101 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 22:08

I haven't seen anyone taking shots, more looking for credibility behind the attention. Everyones defence seems to be the sacrifices he has made. The way I see most drivers in F-1 come from regular families that I'm quite certain made the same sacrifices. I'm not wanting to put Anthony down, just wish ITV could focus on the person who is actually making the real noise, boy Lewis. I'd much sooner hear what he has to say.

#23 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 22:25

Oh no, not another anti Hamilton thread.

Where is this hatred coming from???? I really wonder...

#24 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 22:26

I think you are glorifying things a touch. I have never read anything on the matter of Anthony convincing McLaren his son was worth 10+ years of investment. Nor by watching him on T.V. does anything suggest much salesmanship was needed. The version of the story I read was it was more Lewis popping the question to Ron in an off manner way. Maybe his dad gave him a push? Who paid his way through F3 and GP2, McLaren or sponsorship won by Anthony? (please, if you must respond to this post try and answer me that). How much did Anthony have to do with the firing/re-signing back in 2004?

This is nothing to knock Anthony, more ITV in my opinion. We had the same thing with old man Button.

Fisi's management team got him a paid ride with a mid pack team after only 8 races in a Minardi, then placed him in a championship team (before and during). The fact he has a ride at all this year I think has alot to do with his managements efforts, or perhaps the lacking of such regarding other drivers.

You need to appreciate what it took to get Lewis to two national karting championships from a low-paid job, a council house and an old Vauxhall Cavalier. Only then did he meet Ron and get his phone number, and even then it was two more years before they got funding.

Anthony built a shed in his garden to do up the cheap karts he could afford, built a trailer to tow it to the races, did two extra jobs, talked to everyone, did deals, got some backing, the effort and commitment goes on and on.

It has always been a partnership, now Antony is his manager and keeps him company while they are on tour. Lewis has said he really values that.

As to 2004/5, the Hamiltons wanted to go to GP2, McLaren wanted Lewis to win F3 Euroseries before moving up. Lewis did enough to make McLaren keep wanting him, and eventually with no other options opening up Anthony accepted the F3 Euroseries option.

Good luck to them both, I say, they've earned everything they've got now.

#25 snx843

snx843

• 855 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 22:34

Originally posted by undersquare

Good luck to them both, I say, they've earned everything they've got now.

Well said.

#26 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 22:35

Originally posted by Timstr11
Oh no, not another anti Hamilton thread.

Where is this hatred coming from???? I really wonder...

I reckon it's a classic case of sour grapes, the Hamilton family have achieved something quite extraordinary, this obviously narks a lot of people that, maybe, think it was totally gained without effort, sadly the press builds 'em up, to knock 'em down also. I think it's a case of deinitely a little "tooo successful" for some folk to stomach. If it upsets anyone, then watch something else, nobody forces anyone to watch programmes they do not like, it's not compulsory viewing :rolleyes:

#27 Nathan

Nathan

• 7,101 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 23:01

You need to appreciate what it took to get Lewis to two national karting championships from a low-paid job, a council house and an old Vauxhall Cavalier. Only then did he meet Ron and get his phone number, and even then it was two more years before they got funding.

Anthony built a shed in his garden to do up the cheap karts he could afford, built a trailer to tow it to the races, did two extra jobs, talked to everyone, did deals, got some backing, the effort and commitment goes on and on.

Read Perry McCarthys book. This stuff isn't rare, though I do fully appreciate it. To the extent of what it is.

It has always been a partnership, now Antony is his manager and keeps him company while they are on tour. Lewis has said he really values that.

As to 2004/5, the Hamiltons wanted to go to GP2, McLaren wanted Lewis to win F3 Euroseries before moving up. Lewis did enough to make McLaren keep wanting him, and eventually with no other options opening up Anthony accepted the F3 Euroseries option.

Well, Williams was an option. Regardless I wish not to take away from Anthony what he has done for his son, people seem to be getting a touch sensitive. As said, it's more why must ITV put so much into it. Why don't they have Anthony Davidson father on their as well? Did the Ant and his father get a free ride up the latter? To me that is the point.

So rather than trying to rubbish me and my opinions and ponderings, why not ask and cry foul to the fact ITV seems to think Ants fathers opinions and accomplishments are of no consequence to the viewer!? I'm sure he has made the same sacrifices you people lay upon Anthony Hamilton and surely deserves the same credit and attention. Or is it just because one is at the front of the grid??...

#28 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 3,066 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 23:02

Clue is in the name of what this thread is about, too many trolls pulling it off topic.

#29 boydy87

boydy87

• 221 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 23:03

You can almost taste the bitterness.

#30 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 23:15

Read Perry McCarthys book. This stuff isn't rare, though I do fully appreciate it. To the extent of what it is.

Well, Williams was an option. Regardless I wish not to take away from Anthony what he has done for his son, people seem to be getting a touch sensitive. As said, it's more why must ITV put so much into it. Why don't they have Anthony Davidson father on their as well? Did the Ant and his father get a free ride up the latter? To me that is the point.

So rather than trying to rubbish me and my opinions and ponderings, why not ask and cry foul to the fact ITV seems to think Ants fathers opinions and accomplishments are of no consequence to the viewer!? I'm sure he has made the same sacrifices you people lay upon Anthony Hamilton and surely deserves the same credit and attention. Or is it just because one is at the front of the grid??...

Why you seem to be blaming the Hamiltons for ITV not interviewing Ant's father is a mystery to me. Obviously they are more interested in the more successful family. I can only explain it by wondering about your motives.

#31 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,820 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 23:23

Lewis Hamilton as a kid goes to his dad and asks if he can go karting.

Dad could have said no, that's where it would have ended.

Dad instead says yes and ultimately ends up working multiple jobs and making big sacrifices elsewhere in his life in a bid to keep funding Lewis's dream. All the while done whilst also raising another child with a disability.

Do you think it's easy managing to hold down more than one job?

Do you think it's easy raising a disabled child?

Do you think it's easy doing both at the same time for many years?

Now maybe ask yourself, do you think perhaps Lewis thinks his dad deserves to be taken round the world to all of the GP's (ignoring the fact he's actually Lewis's manager and thus his presence at races is actually required ?

What kind of a human being would get upset about something like that?

Simply amazing. The human race never fails to astound.

#32 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,820 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 23:27

Beyond being his father, what qualifications does Anthony have to be a manager for Lewis?

I imagine after 15 years of looking after his son's racing affairs, in a business sense, that he probably has more of an idea about driver management and the particular sensibilities of his own son than some kid who hasn't even started shaving yet but has just sat in a lecture hall for three years getting a management degree that has no value unless tied to some actual experience.

#33 F575 GTC

F575 GTC

• 921 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 23:33

He's done a good job of bringing up his kids considering all the problems, and with Lewis in F1 you can't say he's been a **** manager. Just wish ITV would stop reminding us at every GP :lol:

#34 brett_sequeira

brett_sequeira

• 2,807 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 23:35

Ok im sure hes a proud papa, but im getting bugged by ITV and their covrage of anthony hamilton. it has got to stop ok. please

#35 Nathan

Nathan

• 7,101 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 23:37

Originally posted by Imperial

I imagine after 15 years of looking after his son's racing affairs, in a business sense, that he probably has more of an idea about driver management and the particular sensibilities of his own son than some kid who hasn't even started shaving yet but has just sat in a lecture hall for three years getting a management degree that has no value unless tied to some actual experience.

Now THAT I can agree with.

Originally posted by F575 GTC
He's done a good job of bringing up his kids considering all the problems, and with Lewis in F1 you can't say he's been a **** manager. Just wish ITV would stop reminding us at every GP :lol:

That is where I stand.

#36 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,820 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 23:37

Originally posted by F575 GTC

I do agree with you, I hate seeing fathers/family members be interviewed constantly on F1. It used to bug the hell out of me (pre-Hamilton) when John Button would be interviewed every time Jense came in 20th or so.

But the tone of this thread is not about him appearing constantly on ITV, it's asking basically if Anthony Hamilton lives off his sons success....which is a pathetic thing to even think, never mind ask.

#37 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,820 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 23:40

Originally posted by brett_sequeira
Ok im sure hes a proud papa, but im getting bugged by ITV and their covrage of anthony hamilton. it has got to stop ok. please

Hmmm...

but then again, if he as a Hamilton employee (i.e. manager) then surely he is fair game for the media?

Enrico Zannarini was constantly interviewed during Eddie Irvine's title-bid season, and that's because he was Eddie's manager.

Willie Weber used to get interviewed all the time as Michael's manager on ITV - and I bet it was a billion times worse on German TV.

I don't see what the difference is.

Surely in Spain Fernando Alonso's management/family must be featured a decent amount on TV?

#38 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 23:49

itv can only have so much of direct hamilton contact, so they fill in the extra theyve got with daddy hamilton ;) ;) i thought everyone knew that?

ofcourse there is the valid dad/manager angle aswell..

#39 brett_sequeira

brett_sequeira

• 2,807 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 23:53

Originally posted by Imperial

Hmmm...

but then again, if he as a Hamilton employee (i.e. manager) then surely he is fair game for the media?

Enrico Zannarini was constantly interviewed during Eddie Irvine's title-bid season, and that's because he was Eddie's manager.

Willie Weber used to get interviewed all the time as Michael's manager on ITV - and I bet it was a billion times worse on German TV.

I don't see what the difference is.

Surely in Spain Fernando Alonso's management/family must be featured a decent amount on TV?

Yes if he is the manager then yes we are forced to see him. Though i must say i preferred Erja hakkinen during the good old days

Advertisement

#40 skinnylizard

skinnylizard

• 9,641 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 05:10

i think its idiotic to attack any parent that has worked so hard for their child. Dont see whats wrong with him hanging around the pits being one of the team, considering he has been around mcLaren for a decade makes him one of them.

Question : Where is Mrs.Hamilton?

#41 HP

HP

• 19,646 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 05:21

Originally posted by skinnylizard
i think its idiotic to attack any parent that has worked so hard for their child. Dont see whats wrong with him hanging around the pits being one of the team, considering he has been around mcLaren for a decade makes him one of them.

Question : Where is Mrs.Hamilton?

I think the single parent comment explains most of your question.

#42 skinnylizard

skinnylizard

• 9,641 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:05

Originally posted by HP
I think the single parent comment explains most of your question.

i meant what happened there? wonder if it was related to the hardship of a child with a race career and another one with a disability

#43 peroa

peroa

• 10,783 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:25

"What about Mrs Hamilton?"

Well AFAIK, there is Lewis` mom, with whom he is divorced and there is his 2nd wife, Lewis`step mom, who is apparently mostly at home taking care of his half brother Nicholas.

#44 man

man

• 1,526 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:45

I can see the original posters point of view. While I think quite highly of Lewis, his dad with his distinctive bean head is always floating around like a fly around a cow's arse. I'm sure his intentions are good, i'm sure he is a great father/manager etc but bloody hell, that face he has aint half annoying.

Then again, that Willy Weber was an annoying turd too. Spent all his time standing against a wall in a Jordan/Benetton/Ferrari pit doing apparently fu@k all other than appearing to be the grayest man alive. I wonder how he felt being such a parasite.

And as for Hakkinen's wife the less said about her the better. Still traumatized.

The three of them deserve each other.

Bernie needs to sharpen up his act with regards to who is allowed in the pitlane. We need more of these pitbabes or whatever they are called.

#45 LeD

LeD

• 1,433 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 07:04

man oh man

:rolleyes: :down:

#46 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 11:22

Originally posted by man
While I think quite highly of Lewis, his dad with his distinctive bean head is always floating around like a fly around a cow's arse. I'm sure his intentions are good, i'm sure he is a great father/manager etc but bloody hell, that face he has aint half annoying.

What does Anthony Hamilton's physical appearance have to do with anything? How old are you?

#47 MarkWRX

MarkWRX

• 844 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 15:23

The start of the season sure does bring out the trolls, doesn't it?