Photo

Mosley could stay on for fifth term

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

Poll: Mosley could stay on for fifth term (131 member(s) have cast votes)

1. Yes (25 votes [19.08%])

Percentage of vote: 19.08%

2. Don't care (9 votes [6.87%])

Percentage of vote: 6.87%

3. No (97 votes [74.05%])

Percentage of vote: 74.05%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#51 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 22,918 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 13:55

Originally posted by Sébastien
It's not like Max needs it and people governing sports usually find other ways to make it worth their while, the names of Joao Havelange, Primo Nebiolo and Samaranch come to mind.
(disclaimer: not that I say Max did too, I don't want them to do a "Brundle" on me)  ;)

Which is exactly why there should be a legitimate salary, and job description, and with governance standards that precludes any sort of personal deals, and no outside incomes from F1 related people or organisations. One of the missions should be contemporary organisation starndards to be applied to all the divisions of the FIA.

Advertisement

#52 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 13:57

As long as he has the support of F1's most important stakeholders, the fans, he should be fine. *looks at poll* Oh. :

#53 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,728 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 14:21

Originally posted by Melbourne Park

I credit Jackie Stewart with getting the F1 safety thing going. The FIA sure gets credit though. But there were many besides him who are contributed to safety.

Recently the F1 drivers association has been fighting with the FIA over having a proper ambulance and rescue facilities at F1 testing tracks. There have been some bad accidents at testing tracks in recent years - one MS one looked quite bad for a while. I think max has been tardy with the testing track safety issues, especially when the drivers really want a capability to safe a life at a testing accident. The FIA simply doesn't want to spend the money.

Bernie wasn't very rich when the got TV rights deal the first time. it was that deal, and the following late 90's deal, which made Bernie the third richest guy in England. Earlier on Bernie part owned Lotus, and bought Brabham from Ron Tourenac (i forget how to spell his name), but the team was cheap to buy.

Why should the FIA have to get involved around testing? They are there to govern the race activities, what happens outside of a race weekend really should be down to the teams. If the drivers don't think the facilities are good enough when testing, then they should be hitting their teams with the demands.

#54 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 22,918 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 14:45

Originally posted by Clatter

Why should the FIA have to get involved around testing? They are there to govern the race activities, what happens outside of a race weekend really should be down to the teams. If the drivers don't think the facilities are good enough when testing, then they should be hitting their teams with the demands.

That's thee process which Jackie Stewart started. its still going on, but the FIA is the place to make the leap to all motor racing. Its an FIA matter, and a sports governance issue. many fatalities happen during testing too. A couple of years ago, MS had a huge one, and there weren't facilities around for him. He was actually quite lucky so i read. In 2001, in Eastern Germany's Lausitzring, the notable ex Ferrari racer and runner up to Prost in the WDC Michelle Alboreto died testing an Audi LeMans car. A lonely way to die it was said at the time. If you leave it to the auto companies, things will barely improve. Right now the drivers are fighting with the FIA to have better safety facilities at testing tracks. That's more than just a room with a stretcher and a red cross tin stuck on a greasy wall.

The FIA has to potential to improve motor racing safety all over the world. There isn't even a database or system to evaluate motor racing accidents world wide. And lots of people still still die.

I could go on and on, but I won't.

#55 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,728 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 14:50

That's thee process which Jackie Stewart started. its still going on, but the FIA is the place to make the leap to all motor racing. Its an FIA matter, and a sports governance issue. many fatalities happen during testing too. A couple of years ago, MS had a huge one, and there weren't facilities around for him. He was actually quite lucky so i read. In 2001, in Eastern Germany's Lausitzring, the notable ex Ferrari racer and runner up to Prost in the WDC Michelle Alboreto died testing an Audi LeMans car. A lonely way to die it was said at the time. If you leave it to the auto companies, things will barely improve. Right now the drivers are fighting with the FIA to have better safety facilities at testing tracks. That's more than just a room with a stretcher and a red cross tin stuck on a greasy wall.

The FIA has to potential to improve motor racing safety all over the world. There isn't even a database or system to evaluate motor racing accidents world wide. And lots of people still still die.

I could go on and on, but I won't.

I'm not against safety, but I disagree that its an FIA matter. The FIA doesnt tell the teams to go testing, they decide that all on their own. If the drivers are not happy, then they should be addressing this with their employers.

#56 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 22,918 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 15:00

I'm not against safety, but I disagree that its an FIA matter. The FIA doesnt tell the teams to go testing, they decide that all on their own. If the drivers are not happy, then they should be addressing this with their employers.

You need to get a bit more real about their employers. The best place for safety to be made, and investigated, is the FIA. The drivers have always struggled for power. Although jackie stewart got that process going, he even managed to have the F1 drivers not race at the 'ring and another track too. But then, it was a one in three chance that an F1 driver would die if he raced for 5 or more years. or it may have been 2 in 3. But it was a huge battle just to get safety belts. Guard rails was a huge battle. The drivers are almost powerless, because they have huge contractual obligations for which they get massive amounts of money. The FIA is the place to move forward. But I suspect you don't know much about the whole history of motor racing safety. Worthwhile reading up on it.

#57 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,728 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 15:09

You need to get a bit more real about their employers. The best place for safety to be made, and investigated, is the FIA. The drivers have always struggled for power. Although jackie stewart got that process going, he even managed to have the F1 drivers not race at the 'ring and another track too. But then, it was a one in three chance that an F1 driver would die if he raced for 5 or more years. or it may have been 2 in 3. But it was a huge battle just to get safety belts. Guard rails was a huge battle. The drivers are almost powerless, because they have huge contractual obligations for which they get massive amounts of money. The FIA is the place to move forward. But I suspect you don't know much about the whole history of motor racing safety. Worthwhile reading up on it.

I probably know as much as you do, so don't start throwing insults around. I simply have a different opinion to you, and believe the employer is the one who is responsible for ensuring their staff's safety, especially when running outside of a race weekend.

#58 Sébastien

Sébastien

• 1,267 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 15:32

Err the FIA already determines where they can test (or not), how much the teams can test and when or when not teams can test. Now it wouldn't be so odd that the FIA also prescibes the safety precautions that should be taken at a test imo.

#59 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,728 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 15:38

Originally posted by Sébastien

Err the FIA already determines where they can test (or not), how much the teams can test and when or when not teams can test. Now it wouldn't be so odd that the FIA also prescibes the safety precautions that should be taken at a test imo.

True, and I think those limits are wrong as well. As far as I'm concerned what the teams do with their property outside of a race weekend is their business. I don't mind the FIA prescribing safety precautions (and I believe they do), but I don't agree when I hear DC complaining that the FIA need to do more at tests. That, I believe is something he should take to his employer.

Advertisement

#60 Sébastien

Sébastien

• 1,267 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 15:58

True, and I think those limits are wrong as well. As far as I'm concerned what the teams do with their property outside of a race weekend is their business.

I agree with you on that but I think that the FIA should do one or the other.
Or regulate testing like they do now (which then should include safety precautions extra tests etc etc) or stay out of it completely and let teams do as they please.

#61 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 22,918 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 22:48

True, and I think those limits are wrong as well. As far as I'm concerned what the teams do with their property outside of a race weekend is their business. I don't mind the FIA prescribing safety precautions (and I believe they do), but I don't agree when I hear DC complaining that the FIA need to do more at tests. That, I believe is something he should take to his employer.

There's nothing wrong with ignorance - its why we post much of the time. No need to be insulted. But to actually claim that individual drivers can simply ask their employers to improve safety and to think it will happen is pathetic and a ludicrous claim, which flies in the face of the enormous struggle and numerous deaths and great injuries which have effected motor racers over the years. It also flies directly in the face of industrial safety history as well.

#62 512 TR

512 TR

• 2,228 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 08:15

The best thing about Max is that he takes pressure off the teams and the drivers. There's someone to blame and he doesn't mind. He takes it upon him much like football managers like SAF, Mourinho, Wenger, Capello, Mancini etc. He protects the greater good without taking a dime for it. He's the living proof that a dodgy family history doesn't have to mean you're blacklisted for life. If more people would be like him the world would be a better place. Everyone knows deep down inside that there no one better right now.

#63 andy walker

andy walker

• 331 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 15:58

I could think of 6 billion people who could do a better job than Max.

His years in F1 have been dire.

He viewed it as a showcase event for new car technology and not a sport.

Only now have they ditched traction control. Jesus, a halfwit would have got shot of it 10 years ago.

And don't get me started on those dumb grooved tyres.

#64 saudoso

saudoso

• 6,776 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 16:17

Now that Todt is no longer CEO of Ferrari, the man who Mosley has said should replace himself is now available. 2009 is the obvious time for Todt to take over the reigns of the FIA.

Globo track reporter (don't remember her name) said that the paddock gossip was that JT indeed stepped down from Ferrari to run for the FIA. Oddly it was the only direct mention to this I have seen.

#65 andy walker

andy walker

• 331 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 16:20

I hope so. Max Mosley is a chocolate fireguard.

If Todt doesn't take the job, they should replace Max with a bag of King Edwards.

Potatoes know more about F1 fans than Max.

#66 512 TR

512 TR

• 2,228 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 20:42

Originally posted by andy walker
I could think of 6 billion people who could do a better job than Max.

His years in F1 have been dire.

He viewed it as a showcase event for new car technology and not a sport.

Only now have they ditched traction control. Jesus, a halfwit would have got shot of it 10 years ago.

And don't get me started on those dumb grooved tyres.

No I know why they call you sheepshaggers in Mancunia. :rolleyes: