Photo

Aussie F1 Fans - Channel 10 Race Coverage

• Please log in to reply
249 replies to this topic

#101 Italiano Tifoso

Italiano Tifoso

• 1,888 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 05:57

Brilliant ash, i think that needs to be posted on the RPM forum.

Advertisement

#102 Italiano Tifoso

Italiano Tifoso

• 1,888 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 06:04

Sorry i forgot, Channel 10 shut the forum down because of the number of complaints they were receiving about their rubbish delayed telecast. That's how you get viewers on side channel 10, great job.

BTW - If the coverage does not improve for the European rounds as they promised here is the mailing address to send your letters to;
Mr. David White
General Manager of Sport
Channel Ten
1 Saunders Street
Pyrmont NSW 2009

#103 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 06:08

Im going to post it in the TEN HD question forum, in the ten news forum, in the sports tonight forum, and in any other forum that network ten may bother to look at

#104 silver fan

silver fan

• 3,111 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 06:11

It's a shame that SBS isn't flush with cash, as I've always felt that they would do a pretty good job if they had the chance. An F1 equivalent of the SBS coverage of the Tour de France would be something to remember. As for Channel 10, well I just don't understand Generation Y's absolute fascination with Reality TV but it rates. A pretty sad indictment on Generation Y I'd have thought. :

#105 Mat

Mat

• 7,683 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 10:40

Originally posted by silver fan
It's a shame that SBS isn't flush with cash, as I've always felt that they would do a pretty good job if they had the chance. An F1 equivalent of the SBS coverage of the Tour de France would be something to remember. As for Channel 10, well I just don't understand Generation Y's absolute fascination with Reality TV but it rates. A pretty sad indictment on Generation Y I'd have thought. :

agreed. sbs coverage of the tour is fantastic really. If they had the money they would do a fantastic job with F1.

#106 clipper

clipper

• 825 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 02:45

Looking at this sunday's HD schedule, they have moto gp starting right after Rove at 10:10pm. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come with F1 as well.

#107 Mat

Mat

• 7,683 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 04:17

ok cool... correct me if im wrong but start times Melb time will be:

125 - 8pm
250 - 9:15pm
Moto - 11pm

(That's taking into account that daylight savings ends sat night/mon morning)

#108 armchair expert

armchair expert

• 1,936 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 04:51

Originally posted by Mat

125 - 8pm
Moto - 11pm

That should be correct. Daylight Saving ends in Sydney on the morning of Sunday 6 April. (I think)

#109 clipper

clipper

• 825 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 05:34

Originally posted by Mat

125 - 8pm
Moto - 11pm

I think Europe or UK go forward this weekend, then we go back next weekend. So don't know how it all works out.

#110 SchuOz

SchuOz

• 1,658 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 06:16

Came across this article....

Viewing figures in Australia
The Australian newspaper has just published the TV ratings for the Australian Grand Prix and revealed that Channel Ten’s GP telecast was the 11th highest rating programme of the week, with 1.2m viewers across Australia. Victoria led the way with an audience of 627,000, but there were only 199,000 viewers in New South Wales, a figure all but matched in South Australia, underlining the racing heritage of Adelaide. Queensland provided 173,000 viewers while Western Australia managed just 79,000. Based on percentages of the population, the idea of holding a race in Sydney is thus the least logical place for a Grand Prix.

It is also worth noting that the F1 was outrated by programmes such as Dance Australia, Border Security, Kitchen Nightmares, The Biggest Loser weigh-in and Bondi Rescue.

#111 alfa1

alfa1

• 1,997 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 06:45

Originally posted by SchuOz

It is also worth noting that the F1 was outrated by programmes such as Dance Australia, Border Security, Kitchen Nightmares, The Biggest Loser weigh-in and Bondi Rescue.

And that is why things at Ch10 are not going to change no matter how many letters people might write in anger, or youtube videos they might construct. They (like Ch9 before them) do the numbers and realise the fact that F1 is *nothing* when compared to other stupid TV shows like BigBrother.
It seems to me that people here think F1 is more popular than it actually is. In my experience, people at work on monday mornings often have a casual curiosity about if there was a race the previous day and who won, but I'm the only person who ever actually watches them. Ch10 know this.
Even the Australian GP, a *highly* publicised event not shown at some stupid hour of the morning... even that rates badly.
Ch10 know this.

#112 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 10,551 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 06:46

i don't doubt F1 is a niche product at best from a local TV perspective ... ideal for a back-up HD channel or pay-TV

since bernie is so indifferent to australia these days, maybe he'll drop his insistence on FTA prestige and let it go to one of these

#113 KLN

KLN

• 338 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 10:42

the ratings for nsw were low because most of the rev heads were there. i hate to think of how many people from sydney, and my local suburb that i saw that were present at the GP, if not Pete's Bar after the days end.....

#114 clipper

clipper

• 825 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 22:43

Looking at ch.10 website. qualifying is scheduled for 2:45am sunday morning, and the race is scheduled for 10:10pm both on standard & HD channels

#115 gerry nassar

gerry nassar
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,912 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 23:52

Originally posted by clipper
Looking at ch.10 website. qualifying is scheduled for 2:45am sunday morning, and the race is scheduled for 10:10pm both on standard & HD channels

Is the race live here at 10.30 (As Atlas suggests) or 9.30 like always. Seems to me the Atlas schedule hasnt adjusted for the end of daylight saving.

So if its 9.30 which is most likely, then it isnt live on Ten.

#116 armchair expert

armchair expert

• 1,936 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 02:13

Originally posted by gerry nassar

Is the race live here at 10.30 (As Atlas suggests) or 9.30 like always. Seems to me the Atlas schedule hasnt adjusted for the end of daylight saving.

So if its 9.30 which is most likely, then it isnt live on Ten.

You are right Gerry.
Bahrain is at GMT +3, East Coast Australia will all be GMT +10 on Sunday. So a 1430 local start = 2130.
22:10 is an improvement on the usual 2300 or later, but definitely not live. :mad:

#117 gerry nassar

gerry nassar
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,912 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 02:31

Originally posted by armchair expert

You are right Gerry.
Bahrain is at GMT +3, East Coast Australia will all be GMT +10 on Sunday. So a 1430 local start = 2130.
22:10 is an improvement on the usual 2300 or later, but definitely not live. :mad:

Thats unfortunate. Will you wait for the ten coverage or will you be watching via the ITV stream?
For the next race - all they have to do is start at 9.50 (perfect for a Rove overrun) - 10 minutes of babble and then live at 10pm. But somehow I doubt they will do that.

#118 armchair expert

armchair expert

• 1,936 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 02:36

Thats unfortunate. Will you wait for the ten coverage or will you be watching via the ITV stream?
For the next race - all they have to do is start at 9.50 (perfect for a Rove overrun) - 10 minutes of babble and then live at 10pm. But somehow I doubt they will do that.

I thought the ITV Stream was only for practise/qualifying?
I'll probably wait for the Channel 10 broadcast and spend the time tuning and perfecting my HD reception. Of course, with Ch 10's usual form, lights out & racing will not be until 10:30pm.

If they show F1 live on HD I will be happy. That's not too much to ask of the Home of MotorSport is it?

#119 clipper

clipper

• 825 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 02:57

Dance has a few more weeks to go, so Rove will continue to start at 9pm. Then there is the IPL tournament starting in April. Then Big Brother will be poluting our screens again.

I think 10pm is the absolute earliest it can start, with the pre-amble then race start being 10:10pm, otherwise in reality we get 10:10pm program start.

Advertisement

#120 armchair expert

armchair expert

• 1,936 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 04:12

Dance has a few more weeks to go, so Rove will continue to start at 9pm. Then there is the IPL tournament starting in April. Then Big Brother will be poluting our screens again.

I think 10pm is the absolute earliest it can start, with the pre-amble then race start being 10:10pm, otherwise in reality we get 10:10pm program start.

I was sure (hoping more like it) that Ch 10 were going to show F1 'live' on HD during the cricket. If 'live' means on completion of Rove at 10:15pm, well I guess that will have to do.

Is the ITV Stream on for the races? I watched it for qualifying, which was good.

#121 bystander31

bystander31

• 729 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:42

I was sure (hoping more like it) that Ch 10 were going to show F1 'live' on HD during the cricket. If 'live' means on completion of Rove at 10:15pm, well I guess that will have to do.

Is the ITV Stream on for the races? I watched it for qualifying, which was good.

ITV have removed the stream, its gone.

#122 Italiano Tifoso

Italiano Tifoso

• 1,888 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 22:58

Are you sure it is just not active as there is no GP this week?

#123 Witt

Witt

• 3,308 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:23

10 minutes past 10pm is a bit of a 'hollow victory', for want of a better word.

On one hand I should be grateful for getting the races broadcast earlier than ever. On the other, for the European races at least, we still won't have the option to watch the race and live timing together, the main reason why in this day and age, it is crucial to have live coverage of the races. Very Frustrating.

#124 bystander31

bystander31

• 729 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:51

Originally posted by Italiano Tifoso
Are you sure it is just not active as there is no GP this week?

I checked it Friday night and the stream came up with a message saying that the next session was Bahrain Practice. Now all i get is page cannot be found errors. Looks like they've fixed their security problem.

#125 Mat

Mat

• 7,683 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 03:38

CDT Schedule...

Friday 4th April
18:00 F1 Bahrain Practice 1 Live
22:00 F1 Bahrain Practice 2 Live

Saturday 5th April
17:30 Speedcar Bahrain Race 1 Live
19:00 F1 Bahrain Practice 3 Live
20:30 Porsche Bahrain Race 1 Live
22:00 F1 Bahrain Qual Live
23:45 GP2 Bahrain Race 1 Live

Sunday 6th April
18:00 GP2 Bahrain Race 2 Live
19:15 Porsche Bahrain Race 2 Live
21:30 F1 Bahrain Race Live

#126 Italiano Tifoso

Italiano Tifoso

• 1,888 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 03:41

Anyone know about the live streaming, still looks down to me.

#127 Mat

Mat

• 7,683 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 04:19

try searching for anonymous uk proxy site.

#128 Italiano Tifoso

Italiano Tifoso

• 1,888 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 04:23

Have you found the link Mat?

#129 mirak75

mirak75

• 1 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 11:57

Hi,

Just found this,

http://www.justin.tv/mytv

F1 streaming live now. ITV broadcast

Spread the word.. If Channel 10 aren't going to change their coverage for the F1 then I'm turning to the internet. Go new world media!

enjoy

#130 clipper

clipper

• 825 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 01:55

So how was the coverage on ten last night? what time did the race actually get underway?

#131 Classic Ferrari

Classic Ferrari

• 471 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 02:53

So how was the coverage on ten last night? what time did the race actually get underway?

Not too bad at the time of 10:10 mostly due to a favorable time zone. They managed to get Peter Windsor in full ten gear reporting during RPM at 1 :p Though quali coverage was a total joke, with it not starting on time and ad breaks right in the middle of quli instead of the intervals.

Dose anyone know the coverage times for the next race?

#132 Italiano Tifoso

Italiano Tifoso

• 1,888 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 02:55

It will be the same, starting after Rove on Ten HD.

#133 gerry nassar

gerry nassar
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,912 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 03:21

Yet why is the next MotoGP race on at 9.40 on Ten HD?? I noticed this at the end of the telecast last night. Thank God for the CDT!!!

#134 armchair expert

armchair expert

• 1,936 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 03:30

Yet why is the next MotoGP race on at 9.40 on Ten HD?? I noticed this at the end of the telecast last night. Thank God for the CDT!!!

On standard Ch 10, they are showing MotoGP after midnight next Sunday :drunk: . At least they are (finally) moving in the right direction with HD, but I won't be happy until it is really live.

(Regardless, I watch my motorbikes on Foxtel. Better commentary)

#135 gerry nassar

gerry nassar
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,912 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 03:34

On standard Ch 10, they are showing MotoGP after midnight next Sunday :drunk: . At least they are (finally) moving in the right direction with HD, but I won't be happy until it is really live.

haha fair enough. I'd love MotoGP on earlier, just hope that they do the same for F1. Not so much for myself as i still will go to the CDT - but it would be good if everyone else could get the chance to watch it live.

#136 Stibbles

Stibbles

• 343 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 04:14

Originally posted by Melbourne Park
We dropped cable years ago, after being an early subscriber. Back then, there were no advertisements. The whole point of cable was no advertisements. When they introduced the ads, I got annoyed and eventually realised that watching the end of movies wasn't interesting. They didn't have time shift then either. I also was not delivered a stereo cable device - and after telephone calls and a letter, I still was told I had to purchase what was promised. So I dropped the whole deal. Sport has improved a lot, but at the cost of taking over free to air sport. Which seems wrong IMO. Its commercial - it makes money for the cable operators - but overall I think it lessens value not adds to it.

I only got cable 3 yrs ago or thereabouts, and have upgraded to IQ as well. This adds significant value - I now get WRC, IRL (mostly live), MotoGP, World SBK, NASCAR, and can setup recording remotely via the net if overseas, not to forget the ability to link programs for repeat recording. I know that a lot of this can be done with TIVO (not really available in OZ yet), and there's a lot of stuffing around to get it working. The ads do piss me off, but they're one hell of a lot worse on FTA as I was reminded during the GP last night. ESPN tend to show a lot of programming ads, but generally the Foxtel ads are between events rather then al;l the way through. Fox will also migrate to HD later this year. However we do pay way too much for Fox service, but that pales into insignificance when you have to use Bigpond cable because Telstra (our local council in fact, sponsored by Telstra) refused to allow overhead cabling.

Anyway GP's in HD will be very welcome, but the true benefit from HD should be (but won't) multi view HD - iepick the cockpit view live timing, pit, etc etc. I'll be long retired before we actually get that.

#137 KLN

KLN

• 338 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 03:35

TVU worked for qual on sat night. via internet. it was about 15 mins behind that's all.
better than nothing.
agree on commentary on fox for motogp, but does anyone know what's happened to Mark Bracks.
internet still good for race time live, but am over the english bias towards lewis.
Kathe

#138 Paul Prost

Paul Prost

• 774 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 03:42

TVU worked fine for me on Sunday night as well, unfortunately it was about 30 seconds behind the live timing.

It was much better than the ITV stream I had managed to located... which was probably a good thing as I completely missed all the usual Lewis hysteria.

#139 armchair expert

armchair expert

• 1,936 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 04:03

Originally posted by Paul Prost
TVU worked fine for me on Sunday night as well, unfortunately it was about 30 seconds behind the live timing.

It was much better than the ITV stream I had managed to located... which was probably a good thing as I completely missed all the usual Lewis hysteria.

What is TVU? I thought I'd been following all the alternate ways to watch F1, most of which I can't access due to being in Sydney or because I have a mac. Hell, I even spent $300 on HD stuff as Ch 10 promised F1 'live'. :

It's not quite bad enough for me to move to Melbourne (to go to the CDT), but it sure is frustrating. The TV coverage hasn't improved in 25 years.

Advertisement

#140 Sith

Sith

• 1,308 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:55

Originally posted by KLN
does anyone know what's happened to Mark Bracks.
Kathe

Bracks got the chop from the Moto G.P coverage... ($$$) He was at the Island during the WSB doing pit work for the on track commentary...

#141 mark f1

mark f1

• 4,368 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 11:10

armchair expert,

Go to www.tvunetworks.com, download the TVUPlayer, install and run.

Cheers
Mark

#142 KLN

KLN

• 338 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 11:47

then you find "wheels tv" and they take their feed from "speed tv".
not sure whether it works for macs or not either.
have heard reports that it may not.
last saturday evening sydney time they replayed FP1 and FP2.
not sure whether they were live or not on the friday, will check it out next race for all sessions.
Kathe
shame about Bracks, he was good to listen too, and very knowledgable.

#143 Mat

Mat

• 7,683 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 01:26

Speed TV usually only show FP2 live. I think.

#144 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 22,918 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 03:01

Originally posted by Stibbles

I only got cable 3 yrs ago or thereabouts, and have upgraded to IQ as well. This adds significant value - I now get WRC, IRL (mostly live), MotoGP, World SBK, NASCAR, and can setup recording remotely via the net if overseas, not to forget the ability to link programs for repeat recording. I know that a lot of this can be done with TIVO (not really available in OZ yet), and there's a lot of stuffing around to get it working. The ads do piss me off, but they're one hell of a lot worse on FTA as I was reminded during the GP last night. ESPN tend to show a lot of programming ads, but generally the Foxtel ads are between events rather then al;l the way through. Fox will also migrate to HD later this year. However we do pay way too much for Fox service, but that pales into insignificance when you have to use Bigpond cable because Telstra (our local council in fact, sponsored by Telstra) refused to allow overhead cabling.

Anyway GP's in HD will be very welcome, but the true benefit from HD should be (but won't) multi view HD - iepick the cockpit view live timing, pit, etc etc. I'll be long retired before we actually get that.

kI know that Caulfield in Melbourne did not allow the Optus cable (which was in the air). However I think both fox and optus now share the same service, only the cables are different I think. The house cables are copper too, I think all the way back to various switching sites which then connect to optical.

We (not including my son though) don't miss cable here, although the football service is much better IMO.

I would much prefer a user pays system - the more you watch, the more you pay. If that was the case I'd put cable back on straight away.

#145 clipper

clipper

• 825 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 04:00

Looking at the ten website schedule, the motogp looks to be HD at midnight as well!

):

#146 armchair expert

armchair expert

• 1,936 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 04:25

Looking at the ten website schedule, the motogp looks to be HD at midnight as well!

):

They really don't like us, do they?

#147 Mat

Mat

• 7,683 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 04:56

):

They also don't list the NASCAR Nationwide race from Phoenix until 9am Sunday morning. (The race should be on Saturday morning - so 24 hour delay).

Funnily enough, Fox Sports aren't showing the NASCAR Sprint race from Phoenix until 9am Monday morning (The race should be on Sunday morning - so 24 hour delay as well).

#148 Formula-1

Formula-1

• 443 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:34

new broadcast schedule on ten's rpm site

Standard Definition Telecast Schedule

Saturday 26th April
2800 - 2900 - Formula 1 Grand Prix Round 4, Spain Qualifying highlights

Sunday 27th April
2240 - 2440 - Formula 1 Grand Prix Round 4, Spain

Saturday 10th May
Post IPL - Formula 1 Grand Prix Round 5, Turkey Qualifying highlights

Sunday 11th May
2240 -2440 - Formula 1 Grand Prix Round 5, Turkey

Saturday 24th May
TBC - Post IPL - Formula 1 Grand Prix Round 6, Monaco Qualifying Highlights

Sunday 25th May
2240 -2440 - Formula 1 Grand Prix Round 6 Monaco

High Definition Telecast Schedule

Saturday 26th April
2330 - 2440 (post AFL) - Formula 1 Grand Prix Round 4 Qualifying, Spain

Sunday 27th April
2240 - 2440 - Formula 1 Grand Prix Round 4 Spain

Saturday 10th May
2830 - 2930 - Formula 1 Grand Prix Round 5 Turkey - Qualifying Highlights

Sunday 11th May
2230 -2440 - Formula 1 Grand Prix Round 5 Turkey

NO LIVE F1 FOR YOU!

Pathetic

#149 bystander31

bystander31

• 729 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 09:48

This is exactly what I expected. The only way F1 will ever be live in Australia is if its on Foxtel. 10 just dont give a ****.

#150 Mat

Mat

• 7,683 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 13:34

wow. thats crazy.