Photo

Which veteran drivers would you like to see continuing in F1 next year?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 10:04

Mainly 4 drivers can be mentioned as veteran drivers (Barrichello, Coulthard, Fisichella, Trulli), who all started racing in F1 between 1993-1997 (the next currently most experienced started in 2000 - Button & Heidfeld). Barrichello's and Coulthard's contracts end after this year and probably their main hope to stay in F1 is with their current teams. Trulli's contract should expire in 2009 and I'm not sure if Fisichella has a 1 or 2-year contract, but nonetheless neither of them are secure for 2009. Probably their only hope to stay in F1 is with their current team too. So which ones of them would in your opinion deserve staying in F1 beyond 2008? And is there any possibility that we might see someone of them in another team in F1 in the future?

Advertisement

#2 Perigee

Perigee

• 895 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 10:40

DC...I don't like to see people getting hurt, but a few low-speed collisions are OK and DC helps provide these.

Rubens...I like a man who isn't afraid to cry.

Trulli...good to know the quualifying potential of a car, and how it will race in the hands of the mediocre

Fisi...oh, why the hell not, will be good to see what he can achieve in his Force India anyway.

#3 krferrari07

krferrari07

• 42 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 10:44

ALL OF THEM!!!!

I think if i had to pick one it would....err....no ALL OF THEM!!!!

#4 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 10:44

DC. Still quick, still hungry and still able to deliver results.

#5 1george

1george

• 1,517 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 10:52

Depends on the results of this season.

#6 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 10:56

Would like to see next year: Barrichello
Wouldn't really care if they were in next year or not: Fisichella, Trulli
Do not want to see next year: Coulthard

#7 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,746 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 11:28

All of them, as long as they perform. I think there may be a question mark hangin' over Trulli, but I'm sure the fire in his belly will be lively with a better car this year.

DC - he's still "leading the team" according to Horner and he's quick and racey.
Barrichello - I think he'll bring out the best from himself this year, very much in part because I suspect he's invigorated from working with Brawn.
Fisichella - doing great, so I'd like to see him next year as well.

#8 Perigee

Perigee

• 895 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 11:36

Originally posted by potmotr
DC. Still quick, still hungry and still able to deliver results.

Not based on his 2008 performance thus far!*

*Although, granted, who was "more" to blame for the collision is a contentious point.

#9 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 11:37

If none of them prove to be competitive this year then none deserve to stay on. Simple as that.
The 'new' guard of Hamilton, Rosberg and Vettel is a far more exciting prospect.

#10 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 8,637 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 15:11

I'd like to see Rubens and Brawn (lol) do some damage.

I also think Webber deserves to show his true ability reflected in his results.

I actually wanted Webber to replace Alonso in McLaren, but my personal second choice, Kova, was not so bad either!

#11 Motormedia

Motormedia

• 2,024 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 18:32

I have been very critical of Fisichella over the years but I'm glad he found a home in Force India where his experience will pay dividend. He has always been a sublime driver although his psyche seems to have let him down. He is not a winner in the ultimate sense. But he has always performed when he hasn't been under pressure in lesser material and if he continues like he has started this season I will be very happy to see him continue with Force India next year. For the other veterans... I think it's time for them to retire. Barrichello has never had the ultimate speed in my opinion and he will never be able to carry even a lesser team the same way as Fisichella is able to. Barrichello is not good enough of a driver.

Coulthard has always had a very good lowest level of performance but I rate him only slightly better than Barrichello. He is not a leader in any sense, rather a conformist, and that is an unfortunate trait for someone who wants to assert himself. He has always had problems performing when the car is not to his liking. I don't see him contribute much these days, nothing that many other drivers couldn't match. Verdict: Retire.

Trulli is a perennial underperformer. He has never lived up to his potential and one has to ask how much he is part of Toyotas problems. He desperatly needs a car to his liking but seem unable to steer the team in the right direction. Verdict: Retire.

Motormedia

#12 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 19:19

By the way, every driver wants the car to his liking, it's not just the problem of "non-successful drivers".:D Recall Kimi from the start of the 2007 season.

#13 Motormedia

Motormedia

• 2,024 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 19:22

Originally posted by sopa
By the way, every driver wants the car to his liking, it's not just the problem of "non-successful drivers".:D Recall Kimi from the start of the 2007 season.

There is a difference between want and need. Some drivers can't adapt their style to a car that is not to their liking, others can. And the difference between "non-succesful driver" and Kimi is that the latter was able to adapt and being assertive and push for a change.

Motormedia

#14 krferrari07

krferrari07

• 42 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 19:28

Good point

#15 Kooper

Kooper

• 2,189 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 00:41

Originally posted by race addicted
All of them, as long as they perform. I think there may be a question mark hangin' over Trulli, but I'm sure the fire in his belly will be lively with a better car this year.

Especially Rubens. First, I like him a lot and secondly, when he (and DC) are gone so will any link to the Senna/Prost era. Always saddens me when we lose our connections to the past eras, in any sport.

#16 Cenotaph

Cenotaph

• 2,390 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 00:45

nothing against them but i really would like none to be in F1 next season. I wanna see more youngsters stepping in.

#17 Frans

Frans

• 8,753 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:31

none of those farts.

Bring back Jos the Boss!

#18 juary

juary

• 764 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 10:42

All of them... :up:

For a simple reason...until we'lle see drivers as Piquet jr. get a top team seat, they'll deserve always a chance.