Photo

Who will stay in contention for the championship?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will stay in contention for the championship? (181 member(s) have cast votes)

1. Hamilton vs. Raikkonen (81 votes [44.75%])

Percentage of vote: 44.75%

2. Hamilton vs. Massa (26 votes [14.36%])

Percentage of vote: 14.36%

3. Hamilton vs. Kubica (5 votes [2.76%])

Percentage of vote: 2.76%

4. Raikkonen vs. Massa (50 votes [27.62%])

Percentage of vote: 27.62%

5. Raikkonen vs. Kubica (13 votes [7.18%])

Percentage of vote: 7.18%

6. Massa vs. Kubica (6 votes [3.31%])

Percentage of vote: 3.31%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 H0R

H0R

• 4,117 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 08:20

With 1/3 of the season already gone, it looks like a four way fight for the drivers' championship. Sooner or later one or the other will drop out.
Who do you think will be the last two drivers remaining in this battle?

Advertisement

#2 bankoq

bankoq

• 2,078 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 08:38

I've voted Hamilton-Raikkonen.

I would vote Hamilton-Kubica if Robert had car of McLaren/Ferrari level.

#3 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,220 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:31

Three way between the Ferraris and Hamilton. But I still think Hamilton will eventually lose some ground because that McLaren isn't as quick as the Ferrari. The only way I can see him ending the championship in the position he is now, is if the Ferraris keep on making mistakes and taking a lot of points between each other - or if McLaren finds something in the development of the car.

Unfortunately for Kubica because he's been superb so far, BMW are falling back even more and seem unlikely to survive the entire year up there.

#4 donald29

donald29

• 129 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:54

If both Ferrari's stay in contention, but only the one McLaren, it could benefit McLaren like having the 2 McLarens battling last year helped Raikkonen and Ferrari.

#5 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 11:22

I'd say Massa and Raikkonen. No matter how well Hamilton drove at Australia and Monaco, it's quite obvious there only is a fight at the moment because Ferrari and its pilots have dropped the ball badly more than once so far.

#6 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 16:17

Originally posted by aditya-now on May 31st, 2008

...among the recent drivers I strongly endorse Robert Kubica and Heikki Kovalainen for their "working ethics": they are no-nonsense, being what they are, and they get on with the racing and little else. That´s the mould of the all-time champions in our sport, look no further than Michael Schumacher, Ayrton Senna or Alain Prost.

Originally posted by aditya-now on June 3rd, 2008

Based on 2008 I see Robert Kubica and Heikki Kovalainen as the two most professionally acting, down-to-business and no-nonsense drivers.
Based on their attitude, these two are for me the real champs right now.

Then comes Felipe, he has remarkably improved himself.

Then Lewis, but he has to really be careful in the ego department. His apologists always cite his tender age, yet there are quite a few others around the 23 year mark who behave already more mature than Lewis.

Then Kimi, but he doesn´t have the hunger anymore.

Then as a driver surely Fernando, but he doesn´t have the car to win this year.

So with these assessments from a while ago I must say that Raikkonen-Kubica is the most possible shoot-out remaining at the end of the year.

It should be Hamilton-Kubica, but as we have learned so far, Lewis is ingenious in finding new ways of pulverising his chances...indeed, so much newness he brings - it has not been experienced in F1 for many many years.

So Lewis will have to be very very careful in keeping his chances intact - Robert will take care of his own chances, no worries. Kubica is an old-school driver by contrast, he just gets on with what needs to be done.

One word regarding Kovalainen: I sincerely like this guy and I am amazed at how much things are not going his way since he arrived at McLaren. Maybe a lot of bad karma? Maybe they make sure that he doesn´t get into Lewis´ way?
What strikes me is the fact that Heikki still has his spirits high:"Chin to the chest and towards to the new disappointments"

#7 postajegenye

postajegenye

• 1,139 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 16:42

No chance for Kubica.
Little chance for Massa.
So Kimi-Lewis.

#8 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 60,774 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 16:53

Massa-Kimi-Lewis

#9 hello86

hello86

• 4,223 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 17:00

Kimi and Massa, while Kimi will win the WDC in China.

Kubi has no chance with his car (unfortunately) and Ham puts himself too much under pressure (refering to his ridicilous comments)

#10 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 21:33

Kubi is getting better and better, but BMW would have to out-develop McLaren and Ferrari to put him in contention and with the 2009 car to do I don't think they can, if fact as the season goes on they will probably have to divert resources away from this year more than the other two teams.

Hamlton will be a contender, the team are developing well and he is the most overtly and utterly competitive character out there. He's made some mistakes but if you analyse them they're not pressure mistakes, more a case of his focus being too narrow sometimes, he's comfortable being on the top step.

I went for Kimi because he's just such a classy driver, and stronger than Felipe, but it could go the other way, Felipe is honest with himself and draws support from others, while Kimi's motivation could drop.

#11 miniman

miniman

• 2,457 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 21:42

Hamilton is best positioned to take the championship, if doesn't make more mistakes
Massa and Raikonen have to fight each other
Kubica doesn't quite have the car to do it with yet but a few rainy race dates might help him

#12 Jodum5

Jodum5

• 1,247 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:02

I never thought I would say this but I am willing to bet Massa sticks around for the long haul. So I picked Massa and Raikkonen.

#13 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:09

i think its gonna be close all the way

kubica has the biggest problem, but the best way out too, he relies on the others screwing up to win the championship, pretty much...
heiki and nick arent a million miles away either

hope lewis is in the mix, as he makes it interesting whatever else u think about him :lol:

#14 Peter

Peter

• 1,401 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 10:56

Not enough options to vote on!

I think it will be a three-way battle to the end - Hamilton, Massa and Raikkonen.

#15 Ferrim

Ferrim

• 1,391 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 11:23

You guys should give more credit to Massa. He's earned it. He's been driving astonishingly well since Bahrain, clearly better than Raikkonen and Hamilton.

#16 James Allen

James Allen

• 27 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 12:00

Hamilton and Raikkonen will stay in contention. Then Raikkonen will win it. Kubica will be 4th.

If you want to borrow my crystal ball, just call: 0184312356

#17 giacomo

giacomo

• 6,977 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 14:49

Originally posted by H0R
Who will stay in contention for the championship?

Depends on the progress of their car's developments.

But I root for Massa and BMW.

#18 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 09:31

Originally posted by giacomo
Depends on the progress of their car's developments.

But I root for Massa and BMW.

So Massa for the crown and BMW for the constructors. Mmmh.

Of course, given the possibility that Kimi and Lewis will go on eliminating themselves and eliminating each other, that is not so far-fetched.
Some quarters say, "2008 - the most exciting championship of all time" (how many times have we heard this hype? what can equal 1958, 1961, 1976, 1989 and 1990?), well, exciting maybe in the sense of a new level of on- and off-track action that makes you forget the classic competition scenario.

I am sure Lewis will still find new ways to intrigue us. He is building his own legend, as he so badly wants. This is for sure.

#19 Kimi Heineken +_+

Kimi Heineken +_+

• 13 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 18:53

will be between, Massa and Kimi.
Hamilton doesn't know to drive, and Kovalainen is a joke #2 :wave:

Advertisement

#20 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 22:26

Nice avatar you have, Kimi Heinecken (sounds like a lot of beer!), isn't that Rubens crying on the podium? :lol:
Welcome to the Atlas F1 Bulletin Board!

So far the votes show that

80,47 % believe that Raikkonen is in whatever way involved in the outcome of the championship
63,00 % think Hamilton is in whatever combination involved in the outcome of the championship
44,25 % think Massa is in whatever combination involved in the outcome of the championship
12,64 % think Kubica is in whatever combination involved in the outcome of the championship

Speaks a clear language to me.
Let us see how reality develops.