Bumper

• 1,967 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 13:11

Let's try again ;)

#3 Maldwyn

Maldwyn

• 1,488 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 13:11

Nice to see someone else winning at last. The FIA won tours to McLaren and Renault a while back :p

#4 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 13:17

Originally posted by Bumper
Let's try again ;)

Spoil sport! ;)

Seriously, i was just wondering the ramifications should Alonso have won the prize! :p

#5 djned

djned

• 1,058 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 13:40

let's talk about his makeup bag in that photo ;)

#6 Sébastien

Sébastien

• 1,267 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 13:42

Well you don't win a prize at an auction now do you?

You just put in the highest bid and you buy/get what you want.

#7 Man of the race

Man of the race

• 1,570 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 14:02

Originally posted by djned
let's talk about his makeup bag in that photo ;)

That's not for makeup only. That's men's bag. It can hold all your stuff: your wallet, your keys, your dressbook..

#8 primer

primer

• 6,664 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 14:02

Why would DC even participate -much less put the winning bid- in such an auction? Perhaps he intends to utilize the 'tour' to build bridges and seek employment at Mclaren (not necessarily race-driver). :smoking:

#9 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 14:05

Originally posted by primer
Why would DC even participate -much less put the winning bid- in such an auction? Perhaps he intends to utilize the 'tour' to build bridges and seek employment at Mclaren (not necessarily race-driver). :smoking:

I was thinking the same, I bet he'd be an AMAZEING test driver!!!!

#10 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 14:07

Originally posted by Man of the race

That's not for makeup only. That's men's bag. It can hold all your stuff: your wallet, your keys, your dressbook..

Your condoms... :D

#11 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 14:07

He probably just wants to hunt down Matt Bishop and kick four shades of shit out of him on behalf of every racing driver ever.

#12 rhm

rhm

• 990 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 14:22

Got to hand it to DC - he's a generous guy and this was a charity auction after all. He's also got a sense of humour and probably thought it was funny bidding on a visit to another team's factory. The fact that he and Newey are ex-employees and could get a visit any time they liked for free (bearing in mind McLaren aren't going to show them anything secret in any case) is just the icing on the cake.

#13 Suntrek

Suntrek

• 1,796 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 14:46

MW:s commentary:

"This afternoon showed that we still remain friends with many of our former drivers."

Seems he's making excuses... :cat:

#14 Perigee

Perigee

• 895 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 14:48

Hehe - I liked this from Whitmarsh:

"It's fantastic that he's put his hand in his own pocket to support this charity auction and it's great to see him back at Woking. This afternoon showed that we still remain friends with many of our former drivers."

So, which ex-McLaren drivers ain't still their buddies? I guess we can presume JPM and Alonso aren't about to be asked round for tea any times soon....any others?

#15 mursuka80

mursuka80

• 5,106 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 15:30

Originally posted by Perigee

"It's fantastic that he's put his hand in his own pocket to support this charity auction and it's great to see him back at Woking. This afternoon showed that we still remain friends with many of our former drivers."

So, which ex-McLaren drivers ain't still their buddies? I guess we can presume JPM and Alonso aren't about to be asked round for tea any times soon....any others?

I think Kimi is not so buddy-buddy with ron,because ron tried to control his life

#16 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,754 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 15:46

Mansell?

#17 Suntrek

Suntrek

• 1,796 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 16:37

Don't think Alain Prost is altogether happy with them either...

EDIT: Oh and then there's Michael Andretti of course!

#18 vivafroilan!

vivafroilan!

• 337 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 16:45

Originally posted by Buttoneer
He probably just wants to hunt down Matt Bishop and kick four shades of **** out of him on behalf of every racing driver ever.

Now if they held a charity auction for ringside seats for THAT they could really raise some bucks.

#19 SirSaltire

SirSaltire

• 781 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 16:47

Originally posted by primer

:rolleyes: Beacause it was for charity! Good sense of humour :lol:

Advertisement

#20 Suntrek

Suntrek

• 1,796 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 18:33

Renault is offering a guided tour of the Technical Centre at Enstone. I'm looking forward to Jarno Trulli winning that one. :)

http://members.ebay....serid=oxfamshop

#21 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,277 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 18:57

Originally posted by Suntrek
Don't think Alain Prost is altogether happy with them either...

Not true at all.

Prost has been back at McLaren in a test and advisory capacity in 1995-96, well after his racing stint at the team. He still has a good relationship with them now.

The only drivers in the Ron Dennis era who the team wouldn't have a friendly relationship with are the aforementioned Montoya and Alonso.

#22 Suntrek

Suntrek

• 1,796 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 19:21

Originally posted by pacificquay

Not true at all.

Prost has been back at McLaren in a test and advisory capacity in 1995-96, well after his racing stint at the team. He still has a good relationship with them now.

The only drivers in the Ron Dennis era who the team wouldn't have a friendly relationship with are the aforementioned Montoya and Alonso.

I'm glad you added the "now" to your statement. Perhaps Alonso & Monty also will have a better relationship with them ten years from now? Time óften heals all wounds.

Not sure Michael Andretti agrees with you though.

http://www.sportslin.../story/10836286

Not saying he's right, but his feelings about McLaren are pretty clear.

#23 Shockabuku

Shockabuku

• 162 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 21:30

Mansell? :)

#24 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,644 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 22:33

Coulthard for McLaren test drive :up:

#25 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 23:07

Where is the MacLaren HQ? Anywhere near McLaren? Or maybe near Steve McClaren's house?