Photo

Sixty years of Scottish motorcycle racing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 joepotts7

joepotts7

• 139 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 12:58

This is just a quick notice to anyone that might be interested to attend an event celebrating 60 years of Scottish Motorcycle racing. This weekend (5th and 6th July) there is a special event being run by the Kirkaldy and District Motorcycle club (KDMC) at Beveridge Park, Kirkaldy. Beveridge Park was Scotland's first motorcycle racing track and was used for 40 years until 1988. Anyway, there is a big get together to celebrate 60 years of Scottish motorcycle racing. It will ba a static display of many bikes and other items of interest relating to Scottish racing over the years. Bikes will not be allowed to run around the track, but they will be started to bring the sounds of racing past back to Beveridge park. It is going to be a one off event and it should be very interesting, so if anyone is in the area make sure you go.

Advertisement

#2 kevthedrummer

kevthedrummer

• 479 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 19:00

Do you know the times for the event? I live about 10 miles away and will try to get along. I remember going to a similar thing some years ago, although on that occasion they were allowed to ride around the track.

#3 joepotts7

joepotts7

• 139 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 08:32

Originally posted by kevthedrummer
Do you know the times for the event? I live about 10 miles away and will try to get along. I remember going to a similar thing some years ago, although on that occasion they were allowed to ride around the track.

Hi Kev, the Park will be open from 10am on both Saturday and Sunday. It is free entry and I guess it will go onto late afternoon on both days.

#4 kevthedrummer

kevthedrummer

• 479 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 09:14

Thanks for the info. I'll pop along on Saturday morning. I distinctly remember a friend of my dad's telling me some hair-raising tales about racing around the park. He lives in Forfar now but I'll let him know it's on. I don't know if it's still there but for a while one of his bikes was an exhibit in Kirkcaldy museum.

#5 joepotts7

joepotts7

• 139 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 09:23

Originally posted by kevthedrummer
Thanks for the info. I'll pop along on Saturday morning. I distinctly remember a friend of my dad's telling me some hair-raising tales about racing around the park. He lives in Forfar now but I'll let him know it's on. I don't know if it's still there but for a while one of his bikes was an exhibit in Kirkcaldy museum.

It is good that you are coming along to Kirkaldy. Beveridge Park is one of the most amazing venues for racing ever. The huge camber on the road, having to run in the pebbeled gutter to in order to lap quickly and also trees lining the track - it is incredible it was used until 1988 with TZ 750 Yamaha's and alike! With the trees and also the houses around the track, 'The Park' is like a natural ampitheatre and bikes sound fantastic. Imagine what it would have been like in 1962 when Bob McIntyre took the Works 285cc Honda 4 to show the Scottish racing fans!
What was your dad's friend called? I know the KDMC were trying to get together many people and bikes that raced at Beveridge Park over the years.

#6 kevthedrummer

kevthedrummer

• 479 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 09:29

My dad's friend is called George Simpson (no relation to Ian Simpson). I'll see my dad later today and will ask him to get in contact. I cannot remember the details of the bike he loaned to the museum. I think it was a 250cc Honda.

#7 rd500

rd500

• 474 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 15:40

just thought i would put in a couple of pics from that weekend. niall mac had his 91 gp bike there also. the yamaha is an ex brian morrison bike among others

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image