Photo

Which driver pairing would be ideal for Ferrari in the long-term future?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Poll: Which driver pairing would be ideal for Ferrari in the long-term future? (196 member(s) have cast votes)

1. Massa-Räikkönen (16 votes [8.21%])

Percentage of vote: 8.21%

2. Alonso-Massa (28 votes [14.36%])

Percentage of vote: 14.36%

3. Alonso-Räikkönen (8 votes [4.10%])

Percentage of vote: 4.10%

4. Kubica-Alonso (21 votes [10.77%])

Percentage of vote: 10.77%

5. Kubica-Massa (1 votes [0.51%])

Percentage of vote: 0.51%

6. Kubica-Räikkönen (4 votes [2.05%])

Percentage of vote: 2.05%

7. Kubica-Vettel (29 votes [14.87%])

Percentage of vote: 14.87%

8. Alonso-Vettel (40 votes [20.51%])

Percentage of vote: 20.51%

9. Räikkönen-Vettel (14 votes [7.18%])

Percentage of vote: 7.18%

10. Massa-Vettel (11 votes [5.64%])

Percentage of vote: 5.64%

11. Somebody else (23 votes [11.79%])

Percentage of vote: 11.79%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 19:52

I'd say Alonso-Massa, but it's a close call. I'm not including guys with a contract longer than 2010 when both Massa's and Räikkönen's contracts expire, if anyone wonders.

Advertisement

#2 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 3,064 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 19:59

I would say Alonso - Massa because Massa is fast and is already adjusted to Ferrari but Kubica and Alonso are said to have the same aggressive approach to the races so it would make it easier on the team to setup the cars for them. Also they are good friends.

#3 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 20:03

I don't think Massa would take Alonso's 'stuff', and neither would Alonso feel comfortable with someone so fast, especially in qualifying, in his way and as a teammate.

It could work with Vettel and Massa.

Raikkonen, even if he regains his confidence and speed, doesn't seem to have a long term future anymore (which to me means being around at least until the end of 2012).

Kubica, maybe, who knows? I don't think Massa and him would form an intolerable duo.

Basically there are many options. If you get Alonso, be sure his teamate is relatively harmless. Anyone else could work with Massa, I guess, and Raikkonen won't be in it long enough, unfortunately.

#4 Group B

Group B

• 14,507 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 20:05

Kubica - Vettel has promise.

#5 rce

rce

• 2,003 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 20:26

I'd like to see Alonso and Vettel. Come the 2011 season I'm thinking Kimi will be gone (and maybe on to Rally) and well Felipe...if he hasn't won a WDC by then it's time to move on.

#6 Korben82

Korben82

• 184 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 20:30

Alonso-Vettel would be awesome, not only for Ferrari long-term, but for the fans of motorsport too :clap:

#7 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,178 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 20:33

But which of these drivers actually want to be with Ferrari in the future? They're not looking like a top class team right now.

2009 might just be an anomaly, and I'm sure Ferrari will still remain as a little more attractive prospect than what their latest results may indicate, but I think the changes in the pecking order of the teams will affect the drivers market.

I mean, someone like Alonso might be more tempted to occupy Barrichello's seat than Raikkonen's right now. And Vettel might not have much motivation to move to a slower team.

#8 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 20:37

Alonso, Massa and Raikkonen are not long-term prospects. Not in the way that someone like Vettel is.

I think that if I was a team boss looking for a long-term lineup, I'd be looking at Hamilton-Vettel.

#9 Chicken McNuggets

Chicken McNuggets

• 828 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 20:55

It's hard to see which pair of drivers would actually get along well enough for the atmosphere not to be too explosive. Massa and Raikkonen obviously fare okay, but we don't know about the others.

#10 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 20:59

I really don't think there would be too much of an issue between any 2 drivers, its more of how they are treated by the team or perceived to be treated by the team.

#11 pippin

pippin

• 741 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 21:07

I think Alonso would be good for Ferrari, even though I'm not a fan personally. Vettel is also clearly an amazing talent. If I had to choose it would be between one of those two. Probably need to keep one driver for continuity. Hard to choose between Kimi and Massa though, but would likely go with Massa as he's got the best recent form. (if you include last season)

#12 whatto999

whatto999

• 713 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 21:14

In ANY case - ALONSO.

#13 GerardF1

GerardF1

• 693 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 21:22

If it has to be Alonso - the 2nd seat will be a no name/no threat. He is not going to have anyone that can attract any of the focus of the team.

If Ferrari balks he can simply say that did it for Michael and they don't have a leg to stand on. If Ferrari does force a competitive teammate on him - it won't be pretty.
Of the other potentials out there Kubica/Vettel would look good.

Who knows maybe Hamilton will be a free agent by then - Hamilton/Rosberg or Hamilton/Vettel

#14 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 23:18

David Coulthad and Mika Salo

#15 Gilles12

Gilles12

• 863 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 23:34

Schumacher & Vettel

for two years

Then hand the reigns back to someone a little more capable than Massa

#16 Chicken McNuggets

Chicken McNuggets

• 828 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 23:48

Originally posted by Gilles4Ever
I really don't think there would be too much of an issue between any 2 drivers, its more of how they are treated by the team or perceived to be treated by the team.

Isn't a fundamental friction between two drivers "too big for one team" really the catalyst for that, though? It's just that Vettel, Kubica, Alonso... everybody linked with them, basically, all seem to be hyperambitiously single minded 'potential superstar' types to me, and I struggle to think of an instance of two such genuinely highly rated men ever getting along too well in a successful team. Rosberg-Mansell, maybe? Whereas I can think of several where the number two is an obvious step down from his team leader, a la Prost-Hill, Schuey-Barrichello, Hakkinen-Coulthard, Alonso-Fisichella... they just seem too likely a team to become embroiled in their own politics again as well. : F1 as a whole is hardly politically tepid right now, and the early 1990s aren't that long ago for Ferrari specifically either. To me, it just seems like they need to take each year as it comes a little right now.

Judging by his behaviour in his various teams throughout his career, for example, I can only presume that Alonso (if the 2011 onwards agreement rumours are true) is expecting to dynamically seize control of the team a la Schumacher before him, but then it's hard to imagine that Vettel and Kubica aren't thinking the exact same way as well, while Massa's been trying to do it on the back of his support from MS since 2006. It just all looks like it could get a tad tumultous...

#17 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 23:56

None of the above ... Long term success requires one clear lead driver and one clear support driver. Especially if it's Ferrari, with the mad politics around there. None of the proposed fit that unless Massa decides to pull a Rubens and collect a paycheck for 5-6 years.

#18 Decode

Decode

• 87 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 00:17

Obviously Alonso as the team leader. As for his team mate. I think Kubica is a trouble maker. Hes always winging on the radio and thats when things are going good. Imagine if he was getting out paced regularly.

Massa wouldnt be good because he would lose his head and make even more mistakes, when faced with a team mate as consistent and fast as Alonso, so he wouldnt make a good number 2 in terms of wcc.

Vettel might be too competitive if hes as goof as the hype but hes still unproven and is pretty crash happy so he doesnt deserve a seat imo.

I think Alonso/Button would be a perfect pairing. Button is solid and pretty good, in the patrese mold so would be a good points scoring number 2, and is a laid back guy so wouldnt make trouble.

#19 Decode

Decode

• 87 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 00:18

Originally posted by Rob
Alonso, Massa and Raikkonen are not long-term prospects. Not in the way that someone like Vettel is.

Alonso is 27. Schumacher retired at 37. 10 years isnt long term?

Advertisement

#20 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 00:20

Long term (i.e. after Raik, Massa and Alonso retire) would have to be the unlisted option of VETTEL & ROSBERG .

Rosberg is darn good, look how he pulled away from the field with authority in Malaysia.

Vettel is obviously very quick too.

Kubica is also good too, but Rosberg didn't complain about not having a WDC capable car from Williams in the other chassis he has raced unlike Kubica with BMW, so this is better for politics to have drivers who will win the championship with a top car and won't complain if the Ferrari is a midfield car (especially if they are pocketing $25 m each which is a significant step up for both their salaries :) ).

#21 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 00:30

Originally posted by Decode

But they know what Alonso can do & Alonso is linked closely to Renault.

Eccelstone has influence and would want new faces at Ferrari, not recycling the same old champions surely?

The days when people thought Alonso/Raikkonen/Schumacher are equal as the top in ability and are the only ones analogous to Senna/Prost in the field, are GONE.

People now recognize that Rosberg, Vettel, Kubica and Hamilton are just as good as Alonso/Raikkonen.

So there is absolutely no "need" to sign Alonso to win. :)

#22 Decode

Decode

• 87 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 00:46

Originally posted by V8 Fireworks

The days when people thought Alonso/Raikkonen/Schumacher are equal as the top in ability and are the only ones analogous to Senna/Prost in the field, are GONE.

People now recognize that Rosberg, Vettel, Kubica and Hamilton are just as good as Alonso/Raikkonen.

So there is absolutely no "need" to sign Alonso to win. :)

What a load of nonsense. You seem to be dragging Alonso down with Kimi, when there is no basis for that at all. Kimi stunk it up in 2008 while Alonso had a great year.

You also seem to be equating Rosberg vettel and Kubica, to Alonso and Hamilton, when they dont have anything in common in terms of sporting acheivment.

Whats rosbergs claim to fame apart from getting thrashed by mark webber? Blowing off a test driver and japanese pay driver? And your comparing this guy to a double wc who beat Schumacher head to head? :lol:

#23 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 00:57

That depends on how much frustration Alonso can take before possibly losing motivation.
Schumacher could wait 5 years between his 2nd and 3rd titles, but in his favour he had a team built around him always taking steps further during that period.

How long can Alonso wait? If he moves to Ferrari, will the team be built around him as well?

Simply age-wise, Alonso can still race in F1 for a very long while.

#24 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:08

wouldnt describe alonso beginning of 08 as great

kinda surprised not more suggesting lewis tbh, they might go with more of a non big name, like massa was

#25 Kooper

Kooper

• 2,189 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 02:51

Barrichello & Sutil

#26 PassWind

PassWind

• 7,256 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:34

Just two fast guys/gals will do, Ferrari just need to get back to that sweetspot, anyway its time for a change (not of drivers) if they start mucking around with the drivers it will make whatever is wrong now worse. Good cars come first, just about anyone on the grid can win in the dominant car, they are all pretty well talented enough.

So driver pairing, two fast guys/gals is my vote.

#27 leomax

leomax

• 164 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 06:02

Alonso-Räikkönen would be a dream team :love:
which will probably remain as a dream

#28 Ural

Ural

• 462 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:32

Vettel & Rosberg! And at the moment Felipe and Kimi!

#29 kar

kar

• 10,434 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:30

Vettel/Massa imo.

Massa wont get his head down if there's a better driver than him next to him and Vettel doesn't give a rats, he just races.

#30 Madras

Madras

• 3,911 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:32

Alonso and Vettel or Alonso and Kubica.

#31 ZenSpeed

ZenSpeed

• 1,192 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:56

Alonso - Vettel, the most complete driver in F1 with the most talented young gun

#32 ZenSpeed

ZenSpeed

• 1,192 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:58

Oh, by the way, I don;t understand why Hamilton wasn't an option. After all, everything can always happen. Happy marriages suddenly break up after 20 years. One day Lewis might feel the desire to prove his worth away from dad Ron.........and rebellious kids are often seen driving a red convertible.....  ;)

#33 4MEN

4MEN

• 1,556 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 13:45

Originally posted by ZenSpeed
Alonso - Vettel, the most complete driver in F1 with the most talented young gun

The most explosive pairing. Good and bad at the same time. I would say Alonso-Kubica or Alonso-Massa.

#34 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 60,373 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 15:05

Alonso only works with a subordinate next to him, we've seen that. Ferrari either has to take an up and comer in the Massa of old mold (not a Hamilton) and put him with Fernando or not sign Alonso. Personally I think Massa and Kimi are just fine, Ferrari have more problems in the team sense than in the driver sense.

#35 rookie

rookie

• 417 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 15:14

Originally posted by Ricardo F1
Personally I think Massa and Kimi are just fine, Ferrari have more problems in the team sense than in the driver sense.

I agree. Although the BB bitches and moans about Kimi most of the time, Kimi - Massa is still a great pairing. Invariably when one is down, the other one is usually up, and when things are going right with team and car, they get the job done.

Plus between them, they would have to be the most sucsessful pairing in terms of wins/ poles / points? Experience that's hard to beat.

Better the devil you know and all that...

#36 27GV

27GV

• 363 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 15:20

Originally posted by rookie
Plus between them, they would have to be the most successful pairing in terms of wins/ poles / points? Experience that's hard to beat.

Hakkinen/Coulthard and Schumacher/Rubens must be ahead

#37 rookie

rookie

• 417 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 15:21

Originally posted by 27GV

Hakkinen/Coulthard and Schumacher/Rubens must be ahead

I meant in terms of Current options. Obviously Schumacher + anyone would be the most succsessful pairing in history.

#38 Just waiting

Just waiting

• 868 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 15:22

Actually I would have liked to have seen Alsono in a ferrari in 2007 and 2008... :smoking:
As more and more time goes by, given the current pace/direction of the team, it probably will not matter who is driving :confused:

As Plato or Pogo said about ferrari,

"I have met the enemy and the enemy is us"

#39 bankoq

bankoq

• 2,078 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 15:44

Originally posted by Ricardo F1
Alonso only works with a subordinate next to him, we've seen that. Ferrari either has to take an up and comer in the Massa of old mold (not a Hamilton) and put him with Fernando or not sign Alonso. Personally I think Massa and Kimi are just fine, Ferrari have more problems in the team sense than in the driver sense.

True. They lost title because of team's incompetense.

Advertisement

#40 stevewf1

stevewf1

• 3,259 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 16:18

Ferrari "apparently" seem to be reverting back to their pre-Schumacher selves, so would any top driver want to drive for them?

#41 Silver999

Silver999

• 48 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 16:45

ferrari are slowly creeping into chaos again and this will reflect on their drivers,long term stability comes from the management first so unless that happens no driver will stay for long.

and btw kubica is a collecting points sort of driver,he is not a winner. the best choice would be Alonso a great racing driver with a drive for glory,thats what they need. not a quick test driver or a ice cream munching 50 mil a year 'not caring too much' kind of driver.

#42 patgaw

patgaw

• 506 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 17:37

Alonso + nr2
or
Kubica + nr2

nr2 maybe someone like Rubens, Massa etc... just for support. :stoned:

#43 holiday

holiday

• 3,473 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 20:39

Alonso is no Schumacher.

#44 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 18:29

Originally posted by holiday

Alonso is no Schumacher.

But not far away. :) The cars are so easy to driver these days that even an idiot can win GP:s in the right car. 15 years ago it was possible to get 1.5 seconds on a team mate. To get half a second on anyone on raw skill (as Alonso does every weekend with Piquet) is staggering. I really miss the racing 10 years ago. When not every driver was mentioned in the media as a possible world champion. Remeber 2 years ago, some people thought that Sutil could be a match for Hamilton, and don't forget the hype around Kova when he joined McLaren!

#45 panzani

panzani

• 18,732 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 18:58

Hamilton and Kovalainen -- with Ron replacing Domenicalli as well -- no doubt at all about it!

The whole BB would have to change sides in every bloody thread! :rotfl: