Photo

NASCAR Michigan weekend--Nationwide and Cup at2 mile oval

• Please log in to reply
257 replies to this topic

#1 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 22:59

The entry lists for the Nationwide and Cup events in Michigan just came out so I figured time to start a thread.

Again, there are more Nationwide entries than Cup entries. While there are 46 cars entered for the Cup race, a whopping 51 have signed up to try to start on Saturday.

No fewer than thirteen Cup regulars plan to compete in the Nationwide race.

http://www.scenedail...nwide_race.html

http://www.scenedail...t_Michigan.html

This is one of the so-called "cookie cutter" tracks which means for myself that the racing is quite boring. As for JPM's chances, I'd say a top-10 would be a major accomplishment. The extremely high speeds should suit him well but this is a track where the car is everything. Better hope the boys on the 42 team are dialing in a LOT of front downforce and they find some power somewhere.

Overall we should see a return of the status quo--Hendrick, Stewart-Haas, Rousch, and Gibbs in the front with the second tier teams fighting to be best of the rest.

Advertisement

#2 paulogman

paulogman

• 2,642 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 23:35

montoya just has to get a decent run, nothing spectacular in these last 4 races. hopefully this is another "boring" weekend for the 42 team.

#3 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 00:04

montoya just has to get a decent run, nothing spectacular in these last 4 races. hopefully this is another "boring" weekend for the 42 team.

Check out the average finish at Michigan for each of the current top-12:

http://www.nascar.co...igan/index.html

Montoya is the only one with an average finish position higher than twenty with a 27.6!

Check out Edwards' AVERAGE finish of 6.3 in 10 races. The only other driver with an average finish position below 10 is Kenseth, who is also a Rousch driver.

You can see how Rousch does well at the "cookie cutter" tracks. I think this year is a continuation of last year's slide in form and while they'll be respectable, I'm looking for Hendrick and SHR to really shine this weekend.

My assessment for JPM is that top-20 should be expected, a top-15 would be good, and a top-10 would be excellent.

I'd be over the moon to see him in the post-race presser (ie a top three).

#4 ch103

ch103

• 2,039 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 02:04

The entry lists for the Nationwide and Cup events in Michigan just came out so I figured time to start a thread.

Again, there are more Nationwide entries than Cup entries. While there are 46 cars entered for the Cup race, a whopping 51 have signed up to try to start on Saturday.

No fewer than thirteen Cup regulars plan to compete in the Nationwide race.

http://www.scenedail...nwide_race.html

http://www.scenedail...t_Michigan.html

This is one of the so-called "cookie cutter" tracks which means for myself that the racing is quite boring. As for JPM's chances, I'd say a top-10 would be a major accomplishment. The extremely high speeds should suit him well but this is a track where the car is everything. Better hope the boys on the 42 team are dialing in a LOT of front downforce and they find some power somewhere.

Overall we should see a return of the status quo--Hendrick, Stewart-Haas, Rousch, and Gibbs in the front with the second tier teams fighting to be best of the rest.

Carl Edwards wins easy this week.

While Im not a fan of his, he has been strong recently and is ready to win on a track Roush notoriously does well on.

Hoping the 24 gets to victory lane myself.

#5 paulogman

paulogman

• 2,642 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 02:21

I can't see a roush ford winning. hendrick cars are too strong. Johnson will do it or martin. montoya will do much better than 27th for sure. he doesn't have any body out there gunning for him like last year. he just flies under the radar.

#6 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 02:36

oooh all this discussion reminds me to update my fantasy roster!

#7 DLaw

DLaw

• 1,614 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 06:15

I see a first win on oval for the 42.... :D

#8 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 06:21

It's a good thing we have the chase to keep us 'entertained' while we revisit all the tracks for a second, even more boring, time.

#9 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 08:26

Hello, here's Ross.

#10 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 08:30

You really think we need to visit Michigan twice and Fontana twice?

#11 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 08:50

I don't think NASCAR needs to go to Fontana even once and personally I'm not too keen on Talladega or Daytona either despite its tradition. But I don't have a problem with NASCAR visiting some tracks twice though, and I don't think it's that big a problem to go to Michigan twice.

Although the CoT has made the racing more dependent on aerodynamics and less easy to race in the pack, I still think NASCAR usually produces some pretty good racing at all of the tracks they visit. If they could just sort out the front end aero on the cars I think it would be good.

I don't expect a huge racing bonanza this weekend but don't have a big problem with it.

#12 Knowlesy

Knowlesy

• 4,056 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:57

Although JPM has a bad record at Michigan, don't forget he ran top 5 most of the day there earlier this year and finished sixth.

#13 Phucaigh

Phucaigh

• 2,839 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:52

Brian Vickers goes well at Michigan.

#14 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:01

Montoya has raised his game this year overall and I think he's run top 10 at tracks where he had quite bad average finishing positions in the past so there's probably a limit on how you can judge his coming performances based on past results. The whole team seems to have gotten their act together and found something they were lacking before.

I think he can run top 10 this weekend based on how he's been doing so far this season and his current momentum. Don't expect it to be an Indy or Pocono run but a decent top 10-12 should, and must, be on the cards. A top-5 on merits would be huge.

Running anything but top 15 would be dangerous or even a disaster at this stage.

#15 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:15

NO!
I live about 40 minutes from Fontana, and the races are so boring there I won't even attend anymore.
One is more than enough for either of them. I'd rather make the trek to Sonoma than go to Fontana.

#16 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:18

I see a first win on oval for the 42.... :D

You could be right. Here's hoping they take the Indianapolis car.

#17 DLaw

DLaw

• 1,614 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 13:52

You could be right. Here's hoping they take the Indianapolis car.

No. 42 Target Chevrolet (NSCS): Chassis #819. The Target team will
bring Chassis #819 to Michigan International Speedway this weekend
marking the third race of the season for this chassis. Montoya last
raced chassis #819 at Pocono Raceway where he finished a season-high
second place. The team also used this chassis at Indianapolis Motor
Speedway where Montoya qualified on the outside pole and led 116 of the
races 160 laps.

http://www.theautoch.../11/473826.html

#18 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 13:53

No. 42 Target Chevrolet (NSCS): Chassis #819. The Target team will
bring Chassis #819 to Michigan International Speedway this weekend
marking the third race of the season for this chassis. Montoya last
raced chassis #819 at Pocono Raceway where he finished a season-high
second place. The team also used this chassis at Indianapolis Motor
Speedway where Montoya qualified on the outside pole and led 116 of the
races 160 laps.

http://www.theautoch.../11/473826.html

Woot :)

#19 The Ragged Edge

The Ragged Edge

• 4,435 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 15:10

Including Pocono et al. :rolleyes:

Advertisement

#20 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 15:20

Hello, here's Ross.

Lol. Our very own, "lovable" curmudgeon.

#21 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 15:30

Including Pocono et al. :rolleyes:

If we can have more road course races instead, I'm all for it :)

Edited by Rob, 12 August 2009 - 15:30.

#22 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 15:35

Poconos are so close together I forget it's two races.

I think fewer second visits to tracks would make NASCAR more competitive, basically.

#23 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 15:36

fontana is really boring.. Michigan is ok... double file restarts, shootout style will make these races more interesting and more fun to watch..

#24 Denier

Denier

• 669 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 16:23

Poconos are so close together I forget it's two races.

I think fewer second visits to tracks would make NASCAR more competitive, basically.

The NASCAR schedule is a serious problem. I don't think they should visit ANY tracks twice. It only serves to water down each race. They should also race on MANY more road courses, as they are routinely the most interesting races of the year.

Unfortunately, the schedule will remain as it is, because it is all about money, not about what is best for the sport.

#25 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 16:24

Well, more money for NASCAR who own most of the tracks. A lighter schedule would make it easier for the teams to get money.

#26 Denier

Denier

• 669 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 16:26

Also, yes, it is time to do away with Talladega and Daytona. The races are farces and they are extraordinarily dangerous. I feel that it is a miracle that a car has not flown into the stands, killing dozens of fans. It seems inevitable, like a disaster waiting to happen.

Once again, these races will remain, because they excite the masses, and because it is all about money in the end. Until tragedy strikes, nothing will be done.

#27 WildmouseX

WildmouseX

• 2,654 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 16:31

The NASCAR schedule is a serious problem. I don't think they should visit ANY tracks twice. It only serves to water down each race. They should also race on MANY more road courses, as they are routinely the most interesting races of the year.

Unfortunately, the schedule will remain as it is, because it is all about money, not about what is best for the sport.

certin tracks do need to be visited twice, daytona and talladega are both two that need @ least 2 dates a years. bristol, richmond and martinsville are three more. these are all tracks that need that many dates just to be able to handle the amount of fans that want to see races - i for one plan to visit all of these tracks and two races a year at them brings more avilibility to us and costs of tickets down.

now to some news from jayski for the weekend....

This weekend, #25-Brad Keselowski returns to his home track of Michigan International Speedway. Keselowski was raised in Rochester Hills, Mich., located about 100 miles from the track. Before making his way to the NASCAR Sprint Cup and Nationwide series, Keselowski cut his racing teeth running local tracks in quarter-midgets and late-model stock cars. Keselowski will attempt to make his first Michigan start in the Sprint Cup Series this weekend driving the #25 GoDaddy.com Chevy for Hendrick Motorsports.

Dodge Motorsports Teleconference Transcript with Travis Geisler, Crew-Chief for Sam Hornish Jr. and the #77 Mobil 1 Dodge:
Q: SAM (HORNISH JR.) TOOK A PRETTY BIG HIT YESTERDAY DURING THE RACE AT WATKINS GLEN. CAN YOU GIVE US AN UPDATE ON HOW HE IS FEELING?
A: He's doing really well. I actually had a chance to talk to him this morning. He gave me a call pretty early to make sure that I went around thanking all the guys that work on the interiors (of the car) and all the welding on the chassis. He's in good shape. He was going to take it easy today and get a little rest. It's something that we're real proud of here at Penske Racing as far as the safety of our cars. Certainly with the carbon fiber seats and everything that we've done over the last couple of years, it's pretty obvious that we have a really safe car. This COT has done a really good job protecting the drivers. Sitting there watching a friend and co-worker take a hit like that isn't the most comforting thing. Knowing that you've done everything that you can do and when you see him sitting there playing with his baby girl, it makes you feel like you're doing a pretty good job."
Q: ANY CONCERNS ABOUT SAM NOT BEING IN THE CAR THIS WEEKEND? [at Michigan]
A: None at all. He's ready to go. He just wants to get back to Michigan because it's sort of a home race for him. It's about the closest (track) to home that we race for him. Our car owner (Roger Penske), Dodge, myself being from Pennsylvania, it's kind of a home race for us. So we're excited to get up there. He's ready to get back up there and we're gearing up for another good weekend."

#28 WildmouseX

WildmouseX

• 2,654 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 16:34

Also, yes, it is time to do away with Talladega and Daytona. The races are farces and they are extraordinarily dangerous. I feel that it is a miracle that a car has not flown into the stands, killing dozens of fans. It seems inevitable, like a disaster waiting to happen.

Once again, these races will remain, because they excite the masses, and because it is all about money in the end. Until tragedy strikes, nothing will be done.

if by miracle you mean restricter plates, then yes it's been a miracle...because it's the plate that prevents that from happening. daytona will go no where, it's the first place nascar ever raced, it is the birth place of speed. it has more history the indy, is more important in american racing then any other track, and will always ancor the series.

#29 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 16:46

Are you getting paid by NASCAR? That is so woefully ignorant I don't know where to start.

#30 Kooper

Kooper

• 2,189 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 17:22

Here would be my rough idea for the 2009 Nascar calendar. Pocono & Fontana lose 1 race. Darlington regains the Labor Day race & I'd be adding either Iowa or Kentucky. If Atlanta attendance continues to slump, their second race would be on the chopping block as well. I'd move the Coca-Cola World 600 back to Saturday & make it a day/night race... everybody expects Indy to change to accommodate the double dippers but I think Nascar should (fat chance).

It'd be a hard sell to take away the Firecracker 400 but I think the deciding race SHOULD be at Daytona.

Posted Image

#31 DLaw

DLaw

• 1,614 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 17:33

Well, just get rid of the chase format altogether would be good, me think.

#32 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 17:37

The problem is more that there are too many races, than what tracks they are on. Sure 36 different tracks would be more entertaining, but it's more than the series can really support.

#33 Lazy Prodigy

Lazy Prodigy

• 2,688 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 17:46

Atlanta on July 4th. Atlanta already has had empty seats for the last 5-6 years, and I doubt July 4th would get people to come to the race track, especially on July 4. Also driving from Daytona to Las Vegas back to Phoenix doesn make alot of sense. Deciding the title on a plate track to me seems a little strange as Daytona being the last race.

Anyways I think the Hendrick cars will dominate in Michigan. Mark won, Jimmie dominated, Gordon was as fast as anyone in the field when he got track position.

#34 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 17:56

I think NASCAR would like a plate season finale actually, it literally means anyone can be champion with 10 laps to go.

#35 The Ragged Edge

The Ragged Edge

• 4,435 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 17:58

If we can have more road course races instead, I'm all for it :)

The bread and butter staple diet of NASCAR ovals is what defines the series. I'm all for them doing more road courses. But theres even objection in some quarters to the 2 road races the already have. The big teams dont even take road courses seriously, because there are so few, including none in the chase. If I was in charge, I would take away a 8 of the 13 double race circuits and replace them with 3 more road course races (Leguna Seca, Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course and in the chase Road America) and the other 5 races I would give to Ovals who are not yet on the NASCAR sprint cup calendar. This would make all the drivers and teams take road courses seriously and oblidge NASCAR to make provisions to provide cars capable of racing in the rain. Otherwise it will make them look like intransigent, backwards and stubborn.

Edited by The Ragged Edge, 12 August 2009 - 18:03.

#36 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 17:58

daytona will go no where, it's the first place nascar ever raced, it is the birth place of speed.

The first championship race was at Charlotte. The second was at Daytona Beach, not the speedway.

#37 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 18:18

The bread and butter staple diet of NASCAR ovals is what defines the series. I'm all for them doing more road courses. But theres even objection in some quarters to the 2 road races the already have. The big teams dont even take road courses seriously, because there are so few, including none in the chase. If I was in charge, I would take away a 8 of the 13 double race circuits and replace them with 3 more road course races (Leguna Seca, Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course and in the chase Road America) and the other 5 races I would give to Ovals who are not yet on the NASCAR sprint cup calendar. This would make all the drivers and teams take road courses seriously and oblidge NASCAR to make provisions to provide cars capable of racing in the rain. Otherwise it will make them look like intransigent, backwards and stubborn.

It's silly really - if you don't take road courses seriously then you're just throwing away points.

#38 Lazy Prodigy

Lazy Prodigy

• 2,688 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 18:22

I think NASCAR would like a plate season finale actually, it literally means anyone can be champion with 10 laps to go.

It would be so funny if they all wrecked and DNF all at once

#39 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 20:02

The problem is more that there are too many races, than what tracks they are on. Sure 36 different tracks would be more entertaining, but it's more than the series can really support.

I think 36 races with 43 cars are just fine. Perfect. Superb.

Advertisement

#40 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 20:34

How so?
Seems they have been running that many races or years now, why is it too many.

#41 Denier

Denier

• 669 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 20:59

They have massive scheduling conflicts in the U.S.

To be competing with the NFL in the fall is sports suicide. I stop watching NASCAR in three weeks-- I literally completely stop. I run a NASCAR fantasy league in which the championship runs right now and ends the week before the NFL begins. Everyone in the league likes the setup, because once the NFL begins, no one wants to watch NASCAR anymore.

I realize not everyone watches the NFL, especially on this forum, but it is something NASCAR seriously needs to take into account if they ever hope to become mainstream. They will never become a truly "mainstream" American sport when the finale of the season competes with the NFL. I guess it depends on how you define mainstream though.

I think they should race at each track only once, abandon or fix Daytona and Talladega, keep 36 races, and fill in the excess races with road courses/other diverse tracks scattered around the country. No more cookie cutter tracks. Never schedule a race to conflict with a football game. That's my pitch that will never happen!

Edited by Denier, 12 August 2009 - 21:01.

#42 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 21:27

If you look at it from that point of view, they also compete with Basketball, Baseball and Hockey, so essentially they are screwed no matter what.

#43 DEVO

DEVO

• 2,637 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 22:23

for the drivers not in the chase, what happens to the point system?

#44 WildmouseX

WildmouseX

• 2,654 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 22:34

The first championship race was at Charlotte. The second was at Daytona Beach, not the speedway.

before there was a NASCAR, there was rum runners and moon shiners racing each other @ the beach - that's where it all started on this side of the atlantic. and why it starts there every year now.

#45 WildmouseX

WildmouseX

• 2,654 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 22:36

for the drivers not in the chase, what happens to the point system?

they try new set-up's, chassis designs, areo packages, and what not to be better prepared for the next year... they also fight to stay in the top 35, since the top 35 at the end of the season are garenteed starting spots for the first 5 races in the next year.

#46 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 23:17

fontana is really boring.. Michigan is ok... double file restarts, shootout style will make these races more interesting and more fun to watch..

fontana is really boring.. Michigan is ok... double file restarts, shootout style will make these races more interesting

Michigan is ok... double file restarts, shootout style will make these races more interesting

double file restarts, shootout style will make these races more interesting

double file restarts, shootout style

DOUBLE FILE RESTARTS, SHOOTOUT STYLE!

WOOOOOHOOOO!

Edited by OfficeLinebacker, 12 August 2009 - 23:18.

#47 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 23:26

I like the idea of a RC Chase race but a Chase race in the rain might be a bit much.

Why not make Laguna Seca the Chase road race?

Pocono gets two races cos they're closest to the NYC market. So unless you replace it with a road course that's closer to the City, it gets to keep it's two races.

Road America for sure, cos hey it's in the Southeast. Barber Motorsports Park? VIR I don't think is ready to host anything close to big-time. I did a Skip Barber weekend course there a few years ago...maybe they've upgraded but it would have had to be one hell of an upgrade, the likes of which haven't been seen recently.

I don't know, NASCAR is pretty cool, I can't complain.

#48 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 23:33

If you look at it from that point of view, they also compete with Basketball, Baseball and Hockey, so essentially they are screwed no matter what.

That's nothing compared to the NFL conflict. The NFL pretty much only plays on Sunday afternoons. All the other sports play every day of the week. But if you want to watch your NFL team play, you're going to have to set aside a three hour block of time on Sunday afternoon about fourteen times. If you're lucky they get a MNF game and then a Sunday night game or a Saturday date after college football ends.

That's why I consider myself the "perfect" sports fan. I follow NASCAR and NFL. Both only require a once per week viewing commitment to see it all. NASCAR starts a week or two after the Super Bowl and the NFL season starts before NASCAR ends. So I'm almost never at a loss for something to watch at the weekend.

36 races in what? 38? 40? weeks is awesome. I couldn't ask for anything more. I certainly would NEVER ask for LESS.

#49 Rob G

Rob G

• 11,615 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 23:44

Road America for sure, cos hey it's in the Southeast.

Even if the US and Canada merged into one huge country, Road America wouldn't be in the southeast!

#50 Denier

Denier

• 669 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 00:53

Road Atlanta would be a good addition if they took an AMS race away.

The NFL + NASCAR combo is perfect, as a sports fan. Fills up pretty much the entire year =)