Photo

Looking for 'Post-War racing in South Africa 1950-1959' by Frank Hoal

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mcwidow70

mcwidow70

• 140 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 06:44

I am looking for an on sale copy of "Post-war racing in South Africa 1950-1959" by Frank Hoal?

Can anyone help me?

ciao

Advertisement

#2 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:02

I have not heard of a book by this title and there is no listing on google.
Frank hoal did a series of articles on post war racing in sth africa in a magazine called "classic car africa" or similiar.
I will be very interested to hear if there is a publication with this title.
I am very interested in Racing in Africa from Sth Africa Mozambique Rhodesia Kenya Morroco etc specifically any jaguar material
terry
Australia
PS if there isn't a publication we could copy the articles if required
PS 2 I am desparate to get copies of South African magazine "The Car" from inception late 1950's through to 65

#3 mcwidow70

mcwidow70

• 140 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 13:59

I have not heard of a book by this title and there is no listing on google.
Frank hoal did a series of articles on post war racing in sth africa in a magazine called "classic car africa" or similiar.
I will be very interested to hear if there is a publication with this title.
I am very interested in Racing in Africa from Sth Africa Mozambique Rhodesia Kenya Morroco etc specifically any jaguar material
terry
Australia
PS 2 I am desparate to get copies of South African magazine "The Car" from inception late 1950's through to 65

Sorry but I got the wrong information. It should be a chronicle in "Classic Car Africa" (1995-1999).

I am interested in T. Gaze's S.A. experience: I just bought a copy of his biography "Almost Unknown : The Story of Squadron Leader Tony Gaze" by Stewart Wilson (not yet received), but I not sure htat is covering also S.A. races.

#4 mcwidow70

mcwidow70

• 140 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 14:05

terry
Australia

"Sun on the Grid" by Ken Stewart

A Record Of South African Formula 1 Racing 1960 - 1975" by Peter McIntosh

#5 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 18:11

Gaze competed in two races in South Africa in 1955, i.e. Van Riebeeck Trophy at Eersterivier and also at the Settlers' Handicap at Palmietfontein.

PS. I have a complete run of CLASSIC CAR AFRICA and all Frank Hoal's reports. I also have a complete run of CAR magazine from 1962 to 2008. Some copies also from 1958-1961.

#6 mcwidow70

mcwidow70

• 140 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 14:52

Gaze competed in two races in South Africa in 1955, i.e. Van Riebeeck Trophy at Eersterivier and also at the Settlers' Handicap at Palmietfontein.

PS. I have a complete run of CLASSIC CAR AFRICA and all Frank Hoal's reports. I also have a complete run of CAR magazine from 1962 to 2008. Some copies also from 1958-1961.

Are the Gaze and Whitehead's Ferrari mentioned on Frank Hoal's reports?