Photo

Anyone got a photo of Tasman Lola Mk4 rear view?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 peter grey

peter grey

• 17 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 14:00

I've googled ad infinitum looking for reference photos of the Lola Mk 4 Tasman to make a slot car body from an F1 shell. Front view is not really necessary because it wasn't changed from when they ran in F1. I've found quite a few side views of the cars in the hands of Surtees, Maggs, Amon, Shelley and Flowers. But the only rear view I've been able to find is a picture on the sergent site of Amon's car in a ditch at Teretonga (and there's a marshall in the way!). So it's hardly enough to send to the master modeller who is going to modify his excellent F1 moulding to make the Tasman version available.

So if anyone has a photo showing the rear of the car that they would be prepared to contribute to the cause it would be greatly appreciated. It can be pre-Tasman ('63) or Tasman ('64 onwards) because, from memory, they didn't change appreciably.
Actually any photos showing the rear half of the car (side on or rear on) would be a great help in getting the engine cover right.

I've also got a question for the Kiwis here... was Tony Shelly's color scheme black with a yellow nose or did he retain the original Bowmaker body color?? And what colors did Rex Flowers have? I have only found a b/w of the car in his hands.

Advertisement

#2 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 15:49

I've also got a question for the Kiwis here... was Tony Shelly's color scheme black with a yellow nose or did he retain the original Bowmaker body color?? And what colors did Rex Flowers have? I have only found a b/w of the car in his hands.

The first question's really for the Aussies, as Shelly didn't race the car in NZ :)

However, when Flowers first raced the car nine months later it was still, IIRC, in Bowmaker blue/green with a yellow nose, though within another month it was a pale turquoise with a gold - perhaps bronze would be closer - nose-band

I'll see if I can find the type of photo you're looking for

#3 hansfohr

hansfohr

• 574 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 17:45

This link contains a very interesting booklet - published by Bowmaker - with numerous images of the MK4, not in Tasman trim though.
http://www.lolaherit...pes/mk4/mk4.htm

Edited by hansfohr, 13 February 2010 - 17:45.

#4 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,238 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 21:00

Somewhere, I feel sure, there's a rear view of Surtees and Brabham going onto the Causeway at Warwick Farm...

It would probably be in a Sports Car World.

#5 JimBradshaw

JimBradshaw

• 164 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 21:10

Peter,

I think there are a couple of rear pictures of the 1963 Lola Cimaxes taken in the Sandown Park, Melbourne, pits on Kaydees "Personal Pictures of Australian Motor Racing 50's to 70's" thread.

Its a long thread but its worth a try.

Good Luck
JB

#6 Keir

Keir

• 5,241 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 21:14

The first question's really for the Aussies, as Shelly didn't race the car in NZ :)

However, when Flowers first raced the car nine months later it was still, IIRC, in Bowmaker blue/green with a yellow nose, though within another month it was a pale turquoise with a gold - perhaps bronze would be closer - nose-band

I'll see if I can find the type of photo you're looking for

David,

Very good info. In the GPL Tasman 65 carset, Flowers car is dark blue with a white nose. Did the car ever run that way ??

#7 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 23:27

I'm not 100% sure, Keir

The main colour, as mentioned, was the Bowmaker blue/green. I think the nose-band was red when Amon raced the car in NZ in early 1964, but b&w photos of both Shelly and Flowers show the nose-band to be a much lighter colour, and my memory is that it was yellow

However, for the Tasman Championship races, it was this colour:

Posted Image

#8 peter grey

peter grey

• 17 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:12

The main colour, as mentioned, was the Bowmaker blue/green. I think the nose-band was red when Amon raced the car in NZ in early 1964, but b&w photos of both Shelly and Flowers show the nose-band to be a much lighter colour, and my memory is that it was yellow

David, there's a great John Ellacott color photo of Shelly here (Post #2499): http://forums.autosp...a...t&p=3322882
Yellow nose obviously... but I wasn't 100% sure whether blue/green or black. In this photo it does seem to have a blue/greenish tinge, but, Shelly's earlier Lotus having been black, I wanted to check with others. Thanks for the Flowers color photo.
BTW, I am absolutely sure that Amon had the usual Parnell red nose in NZ. Any idea why Shelly finished every Australian race while Amon didn't finish any in NZ? Teretonga aside, the thing kept breaking. Was Shelly easier on the car??... or did he have better preparation?

JB, I re-read the whole thread, and searched all of Kaydee's posts, but no luck.

So I'm still looking for engine cover detail. I hope I don't seem too obsessive.... but maybe I am. After all, I bought a 250F book by a certain Mr McKinney solely to get a Johnny Mansel photo reference. Bloody interesting read though!!

Cheers all, Peter

Edited by peter grey, 14 February 2010 - 08:16.

#9 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 10:03

Check your PMs Peter :)

#10 JimBradshaw

JimBradshaw

• 164 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 02:53

Regarding the colours of the Lolas here in The Antipodes 1963 and 1964, I have attached a picture of Tony Shelley taken at Sandown Park, Melbourne during the 1964 Australian Grand Prix.

I won't say Tasman Series, because I know I will get jumped on for suggesting there was a Tasman Series prior to 1964. (coughs) - Not sure how to spell Shelley either.

The car certainly had a yellow nose band, but I don't recall if major body panels were BGR or navy.

Posted Image

Hope this is of some help.
JB

#11 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 07:14

Thanks for confirming my 46-year memory, Jim :up:

And you've got all the right letters in the driver's name, plus a superfluous 'e' :)

#12 JimBradshaw

JimBradshaw

• 164 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 07:40

Thanks for confirming my 46-year memory, Jim :up:

And you've got all the right letters in the driver's name, plus a superfluous 'e' :)

David,

Your missed my deliberate BGR error ...

JB

#13 Keir

Keir

• 5,241 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 15:44

Good stuff. BRG is certainly hard to make out in some of the older pics.

#14 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 16:36

I'm pretty sure in this case it was Bowmaker blue/green

#15 peter grey

peter grey

• 17 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:42

I'm pretty sure in this case it was Bowmaker blue/green

Looking at JB's photo, and contemplating how I would mix the Bowmaker color, it occurs to me that, maybe, we need to call it blue/green/black. Without David's insistence that Shelly retained the Bowmaker color, I would have been inclined to call it plain black. But when I look closely at the engine cover in front of the intake bulge I can see a tinge of blue/green. It’s much the same with John Ellacott’s photo that I mentioned earlier in this thread.
I’ll get a fabric printing mate of mine to help me mix the Bowmaker color. I’m going to bet he uses a lot of black in the mix (or maybe navy with two drops of green).

Great photo Jim. Thanks.

Peter

#16 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 13:15

Colours? Paging Barry Boor :wave:

#17 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 13:55

... David's insistence that Shelly retained the Bowmaker color ...

I have to repeat that I never saw the car in the month or so that Shelly had it. My supposition is based on the fact that it was in Bowmaker colours when Amon raced it the previous month, and my recollection of it being the same when Rex Flowers first raced it the following November. Only obvious change was the red noseband becoming yellow in the car's Shelly period

If Flowers had wanted to change Shelly's colour scheme, it would surely be to the completely different livery he adopted in the December

Edited by David McKinney, 19 February 2010 - 13:56.

#18 peter grey

peter grey

• 17 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 00:37

my recollection

David, I wasn't insinuating that your recollection is wrong. Quite the opposite. What I meant is that, without your writing that you recollected that the car was still in Bowmaker color when Flowers first raced it, I would have not looked any further than my first (black) impression. But your memory has been vindicated 99 times out of a hundred in this forum, so of course I took a closer look. Having zoomed in and looked at these photos more thoroughly, I really think that your recollection is correct. So thanks for that.

Peter

#19 austmcreg

austmcreg

• 316 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 12:50

As I have seen others say on TNF before, sometimes it takes a while, but ..........

Does this help with the original request for a rear end photo? Maggs Bowmaker Lola at Longford March 1963. Keith Roberts photo.

Rob Saward

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Advertisement

#20 peter grey

peter grey

• 17 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 02:42

Thanks Rob

That is a great help

Peter

#21 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,355 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 08:35

6 months to get the correct answer in this case photo, GREAT work there Rob is TNF slipping :rolleyes:

#22 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 08:42

Bowmaker colours are Grey-Blue ICI Ref P030-2150 with Red nose.

#23 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:31

Bowmaker colours are Grey-Blue ICI Ref P030-2150 with Red nose.

GREY-blue?!!! :eek:

DCN

#24 Macca

Macca

• 3,728 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:44

COMMER Blue P030-2150.

Paul M

#25 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 07:03

Doug Thats what my trusty set of Model Cars magazine says.

#26 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 10:38

Doug Thats what my trusty set of Model Cars magazine says.

Better double check who the editor was at the time  ;)

#27 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 01:35

Just did !!!!!!!!!!!!!