Photo

Getting to Monza from Milan

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#51 dick

dick

• 724 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 23:53

Well, dick, I won't let my wife see your comparison to Montreal!!! Plus, Formula1.com sells only higher priced seats so I will buy via the event site. This year (2011) will be my 40th Canadian GP so my wonderful spouse is indulging me with Monza as a token of her undying affection!

Berner,

After reading my post again, I hope I didn't seem disappointed with Monza. It truly is an extraordinary place and has a history and a feel that Montreal can't come close to. What I meant is it is one major pain to get to in comparison to Montreal. As a veteran of Montreal you know how long a walk it is from the Metro to the Senna chicane or pit straight...well take that times two to get to your seat at Monza...and that is just the walk part. Also, instead of a five minute Metro ride, if you stay in Milan it is a 20 to 30 minute train ride, then a hot smelly cramped bus ride of probably another 20 minutes to the Park entrance and then the walk begins to your seat.
Probably the biggest difference is there is no festive atmosphere in Milan or any of the surrounding towns like there is in Montreal. Also, I shouldn't say the fans weren't as into it as Montreal....probably much more serious would be more like it. I'm so glad I went, but also very happy to have Montreal as my "home" Grand Prix...even though I live in Chicago.LOL

I forgot to add, that race day is much easier to get to the track....no bus needed, the train goes to Lesmo and the walk was shorter. Much better. Of course all of this means nothing if you aren't staying in Milan.

Edited by dick, 04 October 2010 - 23:58.

Advertisement

#52 Berner

Berner

• 1,190 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:01

I agree that there are so many intangibles that contribute to the ambience of an event. A long train ride, followed by a smelly bus and then a walk can make one pretty dispirited. Of course, 30 minute queues to get on the Metro (in the old days of Montreal) can also be frustrating. My memories of Melbourne (free streetcar practically to the door) are tempered by the apparent "coolness" of the non-race attending general populace. Montreal is definitely the most spirited of all the host cities I have visited, although Singapore sounds like a worthy addition to our schedule.

We will go to Monza and enjoy the region, the race and the Italian spirit. Just don't expect us to cheer for a Ferrari!!!

Thanks everyone.

#53 drmarkf

drmarkf

• 23 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 16:17

Just a quick tip for where to watch at least one practice session or quali from - the big concrete, covered stand at the outside of the entry to the Parabolica.
There's a big screen opposite, and you're nicely out of the sun and in a pleasant, cooling breeze. You can watch the teams dialling out the oversteer during the practice sessions (well, you could in the case of everyone this year except the Hispanias and Herr Schumacher!). Also there's plenty of vendors walking around with ice cream and cold beer.
I think it's stand 22, but I might be wrong on that.

#54 PSB

PSB

• 31 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 14:47

Just a quick tip for where to watch at least one practice session or quali from - the big concrete, covered stand at the outside of the entry to the Parabolica.
There's a big screen opposite, and you're nicely out of the sun and in a pleasant, cooling breeze. You can watch the teams dialling out the oversteer during the practice sessions (well, you could in the case of everyone this year except the Hispanias and Herr Schumacher!). Also there's plenty of vendors walking around with ice cream and cold beer.
I think it's stand 22, but I might be wrong on that.

Correct, drmarkf-

My friends and I were sitting there in 2006. The name of the stand is, indeed, Parabolica 22. Some photos to give you a general idea of whats it like-

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Best regards,
PSB.