Photo

South Korea logistics

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Moody8

Moody8

• 5 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 15:29

I've made a last minute decision to go to the South Korean Grand Prix. Although I've been to more than 1,600 tracks in 47 different countries I've never been to South Korea. Also, the only Formula 1 races I've ever seen were in Las Vegas and Indianapolis. Therefore I am a "rookie" when it comes to watching Formula 1.

I'm planning to rent a car from the Incheon (ICN) airport. I understand the drive is about 200-250 miles from Seoul. I hope they have GPS!! If hotel space is tight (and I'm sure it will be) I might just sleep in my car.

Can any of you veterans give me advice on the best way to go about getting a ticket once I get to Korea. Any other "watchouts" would be appreciated. When I return I'll post photos and videos as well as a Trackchaser Report from this adventure on my site at www.randylewis.org.

Thanks!

Randy

Advertisement

#2 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,694 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 15:39

Buy your ticket before you get there to save the hassle.

Otherwise good luck.

#3 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 15:49

1,600 tracks in 47 countries and only 2 of them F1? :o

#4 flyer121

flyer121

• 4,570 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 15:52

1,600 tracks in 47 countries and only 2 of them F1? :o

My thoughts exactly..

But even before that - Are there 1600 tracks in the whole world?

#5 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 15:54

My thoughts exactly..

I was thinking that too ;p maybe if you count karting, ice-skating and grey-hound tracks, etc :D

#6 nomeg1

nomeg1

• 4,942 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 15:57

I've made a last minute decision to go to the South Korean Grand Prix. Although I've been to more than 1,600 tracks in 47 different countries I've never been to South Korea. Also, the only Formula 1 races I've ever seen were in Las Vegas and Indianapolis. Therefore I am a "rookie" when it comes to watching Formula 1.
I'm planning to rent a car from the Incheon (ICN) airport. I understand the drive is about 200-250 miles from Seoul. I hope they have GPS!! If hotel space is tight (and I'm sure it will be) I might just sleep in my car.
Can any of you veterans give me advice on the best way to go about getting a ticket once I get to Korea. Any other "watchouts" would be appreciated. When I return I'll post photos and videos as well as a Trackchaser Report from this adventure on my site at www.randylewis.org.
Thanks!Randy

Hey Dude !
Las Vegas ? How horrible ! Lived in the US 7 years, Las Vegas is my worst memory !
Anyhow...I would say like Alfisti, try to get them prior to your departure !
And, sorry to say, but I've read from Mark Sutton (the photographer) that most of the motels there are Brothels, so carry a bunch of rubbers with ya, or take your 44 w/ !

Good luck !

#7 nomeg1

nomeg1

• 4,942 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 16:01

Take a look at the FIA site on http://www.formula1....ets_and_travel/
But it appears S. Korea is already off sale !

#8 JPW

JPW

• 3,335 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 16:02

My thoughts exactly..

Randy was so nice to supply a link with his post, just check that out and you'll see that he's a trackchaser and how he managed to visit those 1600 tracks in 47 countries.

Can't help with Korea Randy but good luck and enjoy :up:

#9 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,048 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 16:15

Randy makes me look like a Johnny come-lately :eek:
Hope you get in...
Looking forward to your report.
Jp

#10 SpeedyS

SpeedyS

• 236 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:28

Just been to the track today for FP1/2 Lived in South Korea for 4 years.

Do not rent a car, actually the parking and raods around are not good! Take the KTX train to Mokpo form Seould Station, easy to get a bus from Incheon to Seoul Station. There are buses from Mokpo to the track.

#11 flyer121

flyer121

• 4,570 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 15:26

Randy was so nice to supply a link with his post, just check that out and you'll see that he's a trackchaser and how he managed to visit those 1600 tracks in 47 countries.

Can't help with Korea Randy but good luck and enjoy :up:

Didnt mean anything by that post.

I was a bit surprised - thats all.
His site and hobby is quite impressive.

#12 chaz41

chaz41

• 6 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 19:02

That's an amazing project, I would have loved to go too and had even started to gather all the needed informations (visa...). I would love to have feedbacks and a report, if you have time of course.

Edited by chaz41, 28 October 2010 - 10:14.