Photo

what a season, could it have been better?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 shanser

shanser

• 240 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 08:24

Its been an amazing season and there is just 1 race left, but id like to forget the wdc scenario for this topic and know from u people what u feel could have made 2010 f1 better?

i feel

1> the tyres were lastin too long and most races were 1 stop.... boring...... btw canada was awesome
2> the sc car delta time rule came after valencia which should have been implimented since the start.....
3> why did the sc car at brazil not allow lapped cars to unlap them selves???.... would have been so much more interestin restart...

any more guys?

Advertisement

#2 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 08:29

Its been an amazing season and there is just 1 race left, but id like to forget the wdc scenario for this topic and know from u people what u feel could have made 2010 f1 better?

i feel

1> the tyres were lastin too long and most races were 1 stop.... boring...... btw canada was awesome
2> the sc car delta time rule came after valencia which should have been implimented since the start.....
3> why did the sc car at brazil not allow lapped cars to unlap them selves???.... would have been so much more interestin restart...

any more guys?

No 1 definatly!!!

#3 shanser

shanser

• 240 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 08:38

yeah, i really feel it should degrade faster and bring in tyre managment aspect into the championship.... jenson would be happy

#4 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 6,513 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 08:41

Lapping cars is part of racing isnt it? So why should the lapped cars allowed to be unlapped? Its unfair to the guys who already lapped them.

#5 unoc

unoc

• 109 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:36

2 thigns...

1) tyre degradation.. I don't know why tyre companies think that having tyres that are suited to racing (i.e. fast and decay) are bad? Every says it would be a PR disaster. But we know that we don't bolt bridgestones to perelli F1 tyres to our road car, so shouldn't perelli or BS show that they can make appropriate tyres. i.e. tyres that are good for f1 in f1? If I see F1 tyres degrade during a race I'm not going to think.. wow these tyres are horible, I'm never buying tyres from them ever again for my road car... I'll be instead thinking... awesome, ___________ know the kind of tyre needed for f1 and show that they car by making tyres that make an exciting race an exciting race

2) Cars that refuse to bloody move. It happened in Singapore and in Brazil so far. If you know your about to get lapped, why are you holding it off. Get out of the way you bloody idiot. Especially when there is a saftey car. =THey know they have a lapping car directly behind them yet they think they will get an extra straight in before having to give way. Useless and destroys racing. Vettel vs webber could have been exciting, but vettel got picked up by the saftey car and so he can had clear air start and webber had to get past two cars that didn't want to get out of the way. Hamilton too, the cars just didn't want to move until they were about to be overtaken normally anyway. Being lapped doesn't mean wait until they overtake and then don't squeeze them, it means jump out of the way now. Senna also lacks the ability to get off the line, it slowed webber down by a second! That rediculos. You see him, you pull over like hes driving a toyota.. Hamilton too would have been interesting to see him move through and race with new tyres on, but no, the entire bloody field decides to slow him down. Yes, we get it the lapping car is faster, but that doesn't meant they hvae to ovetake twice. It means they are on another lap and unless you can start ghosting like a game, get out of the way.

Probably the rule should be after the saftey car that when they have a lapped car behind them, pull directly over to the inside and let the cars go past on teh racing line. Maybe if the procedure was

1) All cars line up behind the saftey as usual
2) When the car goes in to the pits the lapped cars pull over to the insideline off the racing line
3) When the lead car reaches the saftey car line the lapping cars all go off like usual (except not the lapped cars).
4) The lapped cars who are sticking to the inside can't overtake and follow the lead lapped car until the last car has lapped.

To give an example. Yesterday I believe rosberg or schumacher was the last lapping car at that stage.

Saftey car goes in, mercedes' red bull's, alonso and mcalaren's all stay on the racing line behind lead vettel as per usual. All other cars get over to the inside. Vettel hits the line and rockets off follow by webber, alonso, both mclarens and both mercedes'. as the last mercedes' passes the first lapped car it can then pull away and follow along with the rest of the cars.

Anyone who is 2 laps down is obviously still on the inside line and once all the cars 1 lap down have left all the 2 lap down pull out and pass. etc..

Shouldn't be hard with radio communcation and pitt boards.

Anyone see faults with this? Yes, the saftey would bunch up all the cars, but it does anyway. It would be as if the track was long and you'd all be caught up anyway.

#6 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:43

When you 're in an F1 car, equipped with the world's lousiest mirrors you have no clue whether the car behind you is lapping you or racing you. ESPECIALLY after a SC restart. So you rely on pit radio, even flags are mosly ineffective since the field is bunched up.

And they stopped releasing lapped cars in a effort to shorten the SC periods. People were whining SC took too long to un-deploy. And in fairness there is no sweet spot with this, we 've had 10 SC periords where lapped cars didn't go through, no complaints from anybody including the public.

Tyre degradation ... try convincing a company that sells tyres for a living that it's a good idea to produce tyres that destroy easily. They know ahead of time that drivers will *automatically* whine about how the tyres don't last long enough, which tends to be bad press. Doesn't matter if you personally won't mind, Pirelli and Bridgestone would mind having famous people being quoted on the world's media saying their product is bad.

#7 unoc

unoc

• 109 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:49

But surely having drivers quoted as saying these tyres last too long and aren't good for racing is pretty bad since they are meant to be racing tyres.

Soft tyres that lost the whole of monza are about as useful as road tyres that need to be changed every trip to the shops.

I don't want either and I'm sitll waiting for a company (perelli have said they are going to try to make them more softer in attempt to help racing) to realise that F1 tyres are just that?

#8 Tombstone

Tombstone

• 1,392 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:53

I don't mind if tyres can last a whole race, as long as they give grip more akin to that on a damp track throughout.