Oporto street circuit - Is there still somthing left

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CSGPR

CSGPR

• 221 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 14:33

Hi there

Last week I read a piece regarding the 1960 Portuguese Grand Prix, held in the streets of Oporto. It must have been quit difficult to drive there the surface was some places paving-stone even with tram rails all over the place. The last Grand Prix was held 43 years ago in 1960,. My question is now. Is there still something to see which can be traced back to the race circuit?

Best regards

Advertisement

#2 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,897 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 14:44

No doubt one of our Portuguese friends can help, but Barry found it on Multimap:

http://www.atlasf1.c...ighlight=Oporto

#3 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,707 posts

Posted 01 March 2003 - 17:50

Yes, most of it is.
The start and finishing straight alongside the sea has recently been realigned. Some of the cobblestones and tram lines are still there but I understand some tracks have been lifted.
When I was working there last year my apartment looked over the bend at the north west corner and my route to and from work covered about one third of the circuit.
Given the tramlines and cobbles it must have taken brave men to average 100+ mph

#4 Neri Moreira

Neri Moreira

• 89 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 16:44

Hi Fellows :)

Sorry for this late reply, but there was some time since I visited this forum (I will come here more often I promise).

As some of you know I'm trying to recreate the Porto circuit for GPL wich is a loooong task, so dont hold your breath :(

To the point: Like D-Type clarifified everithing is there apart from the start/finish straight line along the sea that has been destroyed and replaced by a curved viaduct (?) to allow the city park to reach the sea.

All the rest of the lay-out is there (here :) ) exactly how it was 43 years ago (and many of the surrownding houses also.

Most of the coblestones and tram lines are gone but the works are not completed yet so lets see how it finishes.

I live right in what was T2, between the two main straight lines, Av. da Boavista (about 2.200 m) and Av. Antunes GuimarĂ£es (about 900 m) and, as I work in the other end of Av. Antunes GuimarĂ£es, I also drive daily part of the circuit :)

So D-Type, we could eventualy have met each other here at Porto, please e-mail me when (if) you plan to come back :)

Yours
NM :)