Photo

Got Speed?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 buddyt

buddyt

• 161 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 16:53

In 1966 I was able to stay home one Sunday morning from church... no easy task for a boy being raised as a Southren Baptist...to watch live the end of the 24 hours of Lemans. ABC carried the end live by satellite...TELSTAR... I beleive was it's name....to see the GT 40s come across the line 1. 2 .3.. a verrrry bad black and white picture from France to ABC studio to my antenna....Then ABC would carry the GP of Monte Carlo on the Wide World of Sports. Then they would carry the last half of the Daytona 500...why would TV just carry 1/2 of the biggest stockcar race I don't know..but I was happy to see any racing. Got to see the great Petty and Pearson last lap crash. The CBS started carrying the 500 live flag to flag....Life was goood.....Then the cable people came with ESPN and lots of racing.....Now a new line was laid out in front my house and I am able to have high speed internet and SPEED TV.....I been watching all the stuff from Daytona...some British F 3 and Rally cars....LIFE IS GREAT....what can be next? :clap: ...

Advertisement

#2 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 18:32

Yes I've got Speed, finally! I live on a little island off Vancouver and a few years ago we were amazed to see a modified fishing boat going past our bay paying out a cable from a drum on the stern-cablevision had arrived! They must have hooked up oh, maybe twenty houses before running out of money and all we got was basic programming. I called the "head office" of the cable company on a neighbouring island and asked the little old ladies who ran the show when I could expect Speedvision, "Oh, I'm sorry sir", came the reply, "We don't carry Extreme Sports!"

I waited and waited for a change and sure enough, the company changed hands eventually. I phoned the manager of the new company, again a woman, and asked her for Speedvision. "Oh, thats a great channel!" she replied, "But we're not putting it on our cable!" . "OK, I said, "I guess its time for satellite tv". Within 3 days I had Speed!
My ever-so-humble-opinion? Too much Nascar but it's a small price to pay for all the good stuff and at least my wife will watch Al DeCadenet. (Is it true he used to be Stamp Collector to the Queen?).

#3 Arrows4Ever

Arrows4Ever

• 831 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 19:50

True! I agree! There's just a tad too much NASCAR! I also think there's a bit too much of these Hot Rod or Custom Cars shows(Car Crazy and others).
But having the rest of the programming is just great! WRC, Australian V8's, F3,... :up:
And Victory by Design series is simply amazing! :love:
I wonder how the DVD's are... More stuff on them? Worth buying them? Anyone know?

OH!!! AND PLEASE SOMEONE EXPLAIN ME WHAT IS BOBSLEDDING DOING THERE??? :rolleyes:

#4 UAtkins

UAtkins

• 228 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 20:17

I agree on the NASCAR, however, I seem to have heard something about their being a new NASCAR channel coming up (I may be crazy too), so, does this mean less on Speed? That would be great.

I don't mind the car shows and am looking forward to some of the new ones. The Victory by Design shows are great...check out their website to find out all about the DVDs which are supposed to be extended over the TV programs. Has anyone tried them yet?

I particularly liked the 1993 F1 Decade shows last year, and was really pleased to see they are continuing them this year. For someone who wasn't paying any attention to F1 at that time, I am catching up and even the abbreviated versions are useful.

Not sure about bobsledding either...however, it's still better than NASCAR.

I am going down to California soon; the cable company at my stepDad's doesn't provide Speed...so, I have the recorder programmed to catch all the shows while I am gone. I can't imagine why they don't have it...very strange.

Ursula

#5 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 02:19

Hi Ursula, just tell them your switching over to satellite...

Stamp Collector to The Queen? There's gotta be a response there somewhere.

#6 wibblywobbly

wibblywobbly

• 287 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 04:11

I've had SPEED Channel for a few years now and frankly, it's quite lame to what Speedvision used to be. I'm not whining, just comparing. :p SPEED is the only reason I have digital cable, if it wasn't for that, I probably wouldn't own a TV.;)

#7 scags

scags

• 405 posts

Posted 09 February 2004 - 00:49

They definatly dumbed it down( from speedvision), but at least it isn't the all Nascar, all the time, nightmare people expected after the change over.

#8 T54

T54

• 2,504 posts

Posted 09 February 2004 - 04:21

....what can be next? ...

Next is Sebastien Loeb cleaning the clock of the Norge... and we are IN the car when he does it! :stoned:

T54

#9 Lemans

Lemans

• 2,739 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 03:18

Speed is good but Speedvision had Le Mans for 24 hours straight. Speed does about 17 hours and has less coverage of Goodwood. I do like the F-1 and rally coverage

#10 CONOSUR

CONOSUR

• 10,647 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 16:05

Originally posted by wibblywobbly
I've had SPEED Channel for a few years now and frankly, it's quite lame to what Speedvision used to be.

Agreed.

:smoking:

#11 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,244 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 23:53

I hate to sound pessimistic here, but I still give it two years at tops for the current Speed to evolve into NASCAR TV. Just a few weeks ago, I read where the CEO of Speed said that they needed programming other than racing, because if they only had racing "they weren't going to make it." IOW, "reality" shows :rolleyes: There already are more NASCAR shows this year.

That's the major problem, well one of them, I have with NASCAR's recent regimes...

To them, there is no room for any other form of racing.