Photo

Abarth 2000 Coupe

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 05 December 2004 - 09:23

I have been trying to find some info on the 65/66 Abarth 2000 coupe's that raced I am told successfully against 904's etc in period.I am aware they had Simca based engines but the quoted output of 210bhp takes some believing.The gearbox was said to be the weakness and some had Hewlands fitted.Are there any experts out there.

Advertisement

#2 Frank de Jong

Frank de Jong

• 1,830 posts

Posted 05 December 2004 - 11:17

Take a look at A-Z of racing cars . 215 HP for a twin cam 2-liter is not that unusual for that period.

#3 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 05 December 2004 - 11:47

Thanks Frank, note that is for a racing spyder rather than a car to do a reasonably long race/rally. Were the cars produced in 1965 making them a different class than those first produced in 66

#4 antonvrs

antonvrs

• 500 posts

Posted 05 December 2004 - 20:04

I wouldn't consider myself an expert(that's a derogatory term in my book) but I did a partial restoration on an Abarth-Simca a few years ago. IIRC the motor was nearly all Abarth- only the block was Simca.
Twin cam head with 45mm Webers on the street version and 58DCO3s on the race model.
The floor pan, suspension and transaxle were Simca 1000 based with Abarth modifications.
These cars were very light and fragile but very quick.
Since they raced as homologated production GT cars I would doubt that any raced in period with a Hewland box.
I have copies of the parts manual as well as the 1965 SCCA Production Car Specifications handbook if you're interested.
Anton

#5 bill moffat

bill moffat

• 1,411 posts

Posted 05 December 2004 - 21:19

Whilst we're there somebody might be able to shed light on how Cardiff-based travel agent Waldo Edwards managed to lay his hands on one of these exotic machines. He was a regular in his red (naturally) coupe at Llandow in the late 60's.

To nick somebody else's quote he had a great career ahead of him as a racing driver,unfortunately it remained ahead of him. He was very quick but span on average twice a lap (regular TNF'ers will recall from a recent thread that Llandow has/had just 3 or 4 corners depending on your viewpoint). Being charitable perhaps the 2 Litre Abarth had 911-type handling characteristics.

Waldo's travel agency was opposite my school. In latter years he ran a Maserati Merak on the road. On wet days this lime green tail-heavy monster would burble its way towards our school bus stop. Hordes of uniformed Grammar schoolboys jostled for pole position on the pavement. Some distance behind a young Moffat stood behind the safety of a wall, nothing like a bit of inside information...