Lola T70 Mk3 & Mk3B Coupés

• Please log in to reply
270 replies to this topic

#51 FourFather

FourFather

• 17 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 16:08

Originally posted by raceannouncer2003
THE Eddie Hill?...great to have you aboard!

http://www.eddiehill...acingcareer.htm

You live in Wichita Falls, Texas? Do you know Lloyd Ruby? How is he doing?

Vince Howlett, Victoria, B.C., Canada

THE? Well, definitely ONE of them,eh? :D

I AM a long-time resident of Wichita Falls!! My dealership is now in its forty-first! year. Doesn't time fly when you're having fun!! :lol:

I do know Lloyd, we rode motorcycles together last summer! :up:

And raced together in the Fast Masters TV race series in Indianapolis in 1993! :D

He's going through some health issues now, hope he's going to be OK- :(

Thanks!

Eddie :wave:

Advertisement

#52 FourFather

FourFather

• 17 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 02:52

Originally posted by Jerry Entin
Glad you have joined the forum Mr. Hill. The members really enjoy hearing from the owners of these cars and they especially enjoy being able to see the pictures of the cars in the day and how they are now. Not to push you, but I think you would enjoy Vintage racing your Coupe.

Hi, Jerry.

Thank you for the welcome. :)

I do think racing the Lola would be a real HOOT! :clap: -- -- Except--- -- I'm afraid it has become too valuable (for me ;) ) to be able to relax and enjoy, for fear of hurting it! :eek: Plus, we raced Top Fuel cars and boats for so long, over SO many miles, we just don't like to travel anymore. :

Again, thanks! :)

#53 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 04:12

Posted Image
Eddie: This is a picture of your old buddy Lloyd Ruby in his youth. He was a very good mechanic before he was an Indy racer.
photo lent site Richard Macon collection

#54 FourFather

FourFather

• 17 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 04:54

Cool!! :up:

Thanks! :)

#55 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 17:13

Maybe of interest. I have it on file as a T70 MkIIIB Aston Martin
Don't know who the artist is though
Posted Image

Correction...it is a T70 MkIII

#56 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 17:44

Originally posted by macoran
Posted Image

Don't think it's a IIIB, macoran.

#57 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 18:02

Cutaway by James Allington, but he usually signed his?

#58 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 18:02

Originally posted by Alan Cox
Don't think it's a IIIB, macoran.

I am not a sports car man, so at least please tell me the main differences
between a III and a IIIB

Edit: checked the drawing I bought at a scrap service.It appears to be cut out of a "collectors
page" from L'Automobile...one side photograph/text...other side drawing and other tech details, and yes you are correct, it does say T70 MkIII on the back in the text

#59 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 18:03

Originally posted by David M. Kane
Cutaway by Arrington, but he usually signed his?

I actually thought it was his brother Allington

Advertisement

#60 FourFather

FourFather

• 17 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 03:30

Here's another shot of mine, SL73/117, taken today! :)

Posted Image

:love:

#61 petestenning

petestenning

• 746 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 08:28

I am sure i will be corrected but differences between a MK3 & MK 3b ,are

Single headlamp cluster/Double headlamp cluster MK3B

Door opening

Tail section rear lips mk3b

MK3 b had extra lips on front bodywork on the outer edges.

The Sid Taylor & Eddie Hills cars are MK3'S in the thread note smaller headlamps, where as the 3B's have lights above each other..

Pete

#62 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 11:19

Pete: On the roadster version. The 3B had bigger brakes and a 5 speed gearbox. They were called ventilated brake disk and the 5 speed was called a Hewland 600LG gearbox.

#63 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 12:54

Wasn't the 3b coupe tagged "T-76" by the works?

#64 petestenning

petestenning

• 746 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 13:08

SL73/XXX WERE THE MK 3 'S

SL76/XXX WERE THE 3B'S

Pete

#65 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 17:02

Mk III bodywork was more curvaceous, along the lines of the original spyder. The IIIB's bodywork was "squared off" and more angular.

Originally posted by Pedro917

Mk III Posted Image Mk IIIB Posted Image

#66 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 17:15

I thought that Lola could not make the T70 any more beautiful, then they made the 3B...still one of my all time favourites along with a P3/4.Magnificent!

Sterling

#67 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 17:40

Thanks for the comparison pics Alan :up:

#68 FourFather

FourFather

• 17 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 03:41

:) More of #SL73/117, taken 5/10/07 :)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

:love:

#69 FourFather

FourFather

• 17 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 23:50

And the 440 cubic inch all-aluminum SMALL :lol: block with dry-sump and stainless steel stepped headers with merge collectors. :clap: that we've been getting ready to install :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

:love: :clap:

Eddie

#70 charles r

charles r

• 8,403 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:23

:) A really beautiful car Eddie - good to see it being looked after so well - congratulations.

#71 FourFather

FourFather

• 17 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 04:24

Originally posted by charles r
:) A really beautiful car Eddie - good to see it being looked after so well - congratulations.

Thanks, Charles! :)

Just today, a wire transfer came to my intermediary's bank, completing my sale of the car :|

During my 33 year love affair :kiss: with Lola, she had become so valuable that I couldn't really enjoy driving her, for fear of damaging her in some way. :(

She is going to a really cool (and persuasive!) guy that will, I'm sure, love her :love: the way I did, and he has promised to keep me updated on her new life :)

I'm very grateful for the time we had together :D

#72 Macca

Macca

• 3,728 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 21:23

Originally posted by sterling49
I thought that Lola could not make the T70 any more beautiful, then they made the 3B...still one of my all time favourites along with a P3/4.Magnificent!

Sterling

View from the passenger seats of both a Ferrari P3 (aka 412P) and T70:

Posted Image Posted Image

by someone lucky enough to have had a ride in both.

Paul M

#73 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 21:31

That looks just superb.....hardly ever see such exotica on the M25 :rolleyes: That looks like it is the States? Maybe California/Florida? I am planning my hols....NZ or British Columbia, can't make my mind up, but Hertz to the rescue............. but alas no T70s on their hire fleet!!

Sterling

#74 John Starkey

John Starkey

• 25 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 22:05

Hello all T70 lovers.

THX 1138. The coupe that crashed in the film was a Mark 1 Spyder, SL70/14, that was bought by John Ward from the studios with no bodywork; it had previously been used as a camera car by Bob Bondurant. Jon Ward, who drove the T70s in THX 1138 couped it, with the special "add ons" on the tail for the film and crashed it head on into something concrete! I spoke to Jon about this only yesterday. Jon had a young Dan McLoughlin come out to his place in S. California and straighten and mend the tub as Dan wanted to learn all about the "new" monocoque chassis; Jon Ward then returned the T70 to the studios. Dan then bought SL73/117, the other T70 used in the film from John, (he traded a Baja racer and a 330GT Ferrari for it), and had a glorious three years with it, including seeing 180 mph on the freeway with it, before selling it back to Jon Ward. In 1973, Jon sold this coupe to the famous drag racer, Eddie Hill and last Friday, I brokered a deal between Eddie and a European customer of mine, who bought this wonderful car; Certainly the best kept Mark 111 I have ever encountered.

SL73/117 had been built in July, 1967 as a road car, according to the Lola records, and shipped to America. James Garner bought it, painted it white with red flashes and then entered it at Sebring in 1968, together with SL73/131. After this, SL73/117 did a few Can Am races with Ed Leslie before it's finest hours, when it placed second overall to the Penske entered T70 Mark 111b, SL76/139 at the 1969 Daytona 24 Hours. It was then 6th at the Sebring 12 Hours before Garner was forced to disband his team by the studio. That's when Jon Ward acquired it for THX 1138.

#75 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 02:05

Originally posted by Macca

Paul M

Damn straight, you lucky sonofagun! :up: :up:

#76 bill patterson

bill patterson

• 154 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:15

Does anyone have photos of the Lola Aston Martin at '67 Le Mans test day and the race?

I seem to remember that the rear bodywork did not have the "triangular" scoops ahead of the rear wheels - this made the T70 even swoopier and possibly as good looking as a P4.

#77 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:50

Eddie: As John Starkey has said, you kept that car in perfect condition and the buyer probably has just bought the best example of an original Lola Coupe in existence. Congradulations on the sale. You will have to get Ercie something really nice now.

#78 biercemountain

biercemountain

• 1,014 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 16:27

Originally posted by John Starkey
Hello all T70 lovers.

THX 1138. The coupe that crashed in the film was a Mark 1 Spyder, SL70/14, that was bought by John Ward from the studios with no bodywork; it had previously been used as a camera car by Bob Bondurant. Jon Ward, who drove the T70s in THX 1138 couped it, with the special "add ons" on the tail for the film and crashed it head on into something concrete! I spoke to Jon about this only yesterday. Jon had a young Dan McLoughlin come out to his place in S. California and straighten and mend the tub as Dan wanted to learn all about the "new" monocoque chassis; Jon Ward then returned the T70 to the studios. Dan then bought SL73/117, the other T70 used in the film from John, (he traded a Baja racer and a 330GT Ferrari for it), and had a glorious three years with it, including seeing 180 mph on the freeway with it, before selling it back to Jon Ward. In 1973, Jon sold this coupe to the famous drag racer, Eddie Hill and last Friday, I brokered a deal between Eddie and a European customer of mine, who bought this wonderful car; Certainly the best kept Mark 111 I have ever encountered.

SL73/117 had been built in July, 1967 as a road car, according to the Lola records, and shipped to America. James Garner bought it, painted it white with red flashes and then entered it at Sebring in 1968, together with SL73/131. After this, SL73/117 did a few Can Am races with Ed Leslie before it's finest hours, when it placed second overall to the Penske entered T70 Mark 111b, SL76/139 at the 1969 Daytona 24 Hours. It was then 6th at the Sebring 12 Hours before Garner was forced to disband his team by the studio. That's when Jon Ward acquired it for THX 1138.

There was a third sports car parked with the two T70s in the movie that looks a lot like a Ferrari 330P4. Do you have any idea what it actually was?

I'd also be curious to know if George Lucas was personally involved in the "casting" of these cars. I know he's a big hot rod/racing fan so it's reasonable to assume he to took an active part in this aspect of the movies production. Anyone know?

Regarding SL73/117, I can't help but notice the louvers on the top body work behind the cockpit. I've never seen those on other coupes.

#79 FourFather

FourFather

• 17 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 16:54

Eddie: As John Starkey has said, you kept that car in perfect condition and the buyer probably has just bought the best example of an original Lola Coupe in existence. Congradulations on the sale. You will have to get Ercie something really nice now.

I couldn't agree with you more. :lol:

Ercie :clap:

Advertisement

#80 David Pozzi

David Pozzi

• 96 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 20:58

"Regarding SL73/117, I can't help but notice the louvers on the top body work behind the cockpit. I've never seen those on other coupes."

The louvers on the tail were done by Scorpio Fiberglass of Marin. One other car has those, a T160 couped with a MkIII coupe body. It was owned by Bud Romak, sold several times and last I knew of it was painted yellow and in the Pacific Northwest.

Scorpio had something to do with the movie cars for THX1138. The rear spoiler was their idea, a B coupe style added to an "A" coupe. I read somewhere that the sides of these spoilers actually caused some vortex generation that made the cars "wiggle" left/right at high speed at LeMans.
David

#81 Macca

Macca

• 3,728 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 21:25

Originally posted by bill patterson
Does anyone have photos of the Lola Aston Martin at '67 Le Mans test day and the race?

I seem to remember that the rear bodywork did not have the "triangular" scoops ahead of the rear wheels - this made the T70 even swoopier and possibly as good looking as a P4.

Posted Image

(copyright unknown)

Paul M

#82 John Starkey

John Starkey

• 25 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 14:50

"Louvers done by Scorpio?"

That is interesting. Dan McLoughlin, famed bodyman for everything plus 935s, told me last week that he put in the lovers, (from a Corvette?), plus built up the rear spoilers. He also widened the rear wheel arches, (flares), and fitted wider rear wheels. This was when he owned it, between 1971 and 1973. Was he anything to do with Scorpio then?

Incidentaly, the coupe also has a faired in mirror fitted on top of the roof for (some) rearward vision. You can see it in period photos of the car in 1969. It was probably of some use on the banking at Daytona.

John Starkey

P.S. I'm trying to get in touch with James Garner via his publicist, so far with no luck. Anyone know how to get in touch with him by a better route? I know Atlas F1 people are well connected!

#83 FourFather

FourFather

• 17 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 02:09

I had owned a '69 Corvette, and when I saw those louvers when I was buying the car in the winter of '73-'74, I told Jon that they looked like the ones on the Vette behind the front wheels, and he confirmed it. I don't remember if he said he did the fiberglass work or not.

Jon told me he did the "rigging", I believe was the word he used, of the futuristic/police car body mods. I did not ask him, but my recollection of that 33 years ago, was that maybe someone else did do the actual fiberglass molding, and he swapped out the parts-

I think Jon told me he finished in third place in the '69 24 hours of Daytona, behind SL73/117.
I'm sure he told me at the time, what he was driving, but I don't recall what it was-

#84 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 02:40

Posted Image
Eddie: Jon Ward and Jerry Titus finished a fine 3rd at the 1969 Daytona 24 hours race in this Pontiac Firebird. It started out life as a 1968 Camaro. Jerry Titus of T/G Racing had it converted to a Firebird. The car is currently owned by Mark Balestra and is run in Historic TransAm events.
When the car was first run as a Camaro, Jon Ward was the owner driver. That is probably how he got into the ride with Jerry Titus. The G in the T/G Racing was a Canadian businessman named Terry Godsall.

#85 bill patterson

bill patterson

• 154 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 07:00

Macca

Thanks for the Lola Aston photo at the Le Mans test day - I'd forgotten about the rear window which adds to the lines.

#86 FourFather

FourFather

• 17 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 03:51

Well, of course, Ercie has excellent taste (she picked me :lol: )-- and this is what she picked.

Posted Image
Click on the picture for a slideshow!

I couldn't agree more! :love:

Eddie :)

#87 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 04:10

Congradulations Eddie and Ercie on your new Ford GT. Very sharp looking machine.

#88 race4aliving

race4aliving

• 47 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 04:26

Nice car. I know you'll enjoy driving this one.

#89 FourFather

FourFather

• 17 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 23:17

Thanks, Jerry and race4, we are enjoying it-- had it out today! :love:

Best wishes!

Eddie :D

#90 Ladster

Ladster

• 4 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 03:57

Just figured out how to post photos so here's one of Donohue's '67 Lola T 70 Lightweight spyder that he drove for Penske in the 1967 Can Am series.

Posted Image

#91 biz5300

biz5300

• 46 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 05:31

Here is a pic of the swedish T70 from the 70s.. Car is still here but in boxes :-( Which VIN?
http://[IMG]http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/8458/jey2ex8.th.jpg[/IMG]
http://[IMG]http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/7365/jey3my1.th.jpg[/IMG]

#92 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:07

SL76/152? Ex-Bonnier sold to Jacques Ray in France, then to US, and back to Autotrans Comp.AB Sweden.
It was blue & white, so this is the most likely car.

#93 MKIVJ6

MKIVJ6

• 345 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 15:19

Originally posted by Macca

Posted Image Posted Image

Paul M

SL 71-32

Originally a Donohue/Penske MKII Spyder. Won several races. I bought her in 1972 and couped her. She has over 60K road miles.

412P is 0854

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#94 gerard BARATHIEU

gerard BARATHIEU

• 399 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 18:02

bizz 5300

your car seems to be a SL73 /MKIII and not a SL76/MKIIIB ?

which race is it ?

#95 URY914

URY914

• 236 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 21:03

In 1978 I attended a pre-Sebring 12 Hour event in Tampa and local IMSA racer David Cowart drove up in a dark blue T-70 Coupe. The car was street legal and had a Florida tag. I have a picture of this somewhere.

Does anyone know the history of this car?

#96 ahe

ahe

• 15 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 21:06

Hello gerard and all,

Yes, it is a 1967 MkIIIGT, SL73/102.

Regards

/ahe

#97 biz5300

biz5300

• 46 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 17:56

Hi again.. Yes car was at Autotrans comp. in the 70s... Was that car sold through bonniers agency to France? It was imported to sweden in the 70s and those pictures are not from a race. It was and is, still Street registred but has not been on the road since early 80s. SL 73 or 76?

posting pic from street in stockholm shortly.. German plates there...
http://[IMG]http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/1091/lolat70oo3.th.jpg[/IMG]

#98 gerard BARATHIEU

gerard BARATHIEU

• 399 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 19:16

beautiful pictures biz 5300

could you make them a little larger ?

Is it the same car on the pictures ?

#99 biz5300

biz5300

• 46 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 19:34