South African bike racers

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#51 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 18:44

Originally posted by Gavfos
Hi all - I've been following this bulletin board for a year or so but never posted before.

Many of the old racers are still around and a whole lot rode at Zwartkops two weeks ago - a revival thing. Alan North was there, Rod Gray, Joe van Altena, Les van Breda, Jim Redman, Keith Zeeman, Dave & Robbie Petersen, Paddy Driver, Ophie Howard - all riding. Mike Grant was there, but as a spectator - a roaming goblin hit him on the head with a steel bar a few months ago and he's still recovering. Jimmy Guthrie was also riding - Manx TT winner now resident in Pinetown, son of the other Jmmy Guthrie, who died a month before Junior was born.

I've interviewd and done articles on most of these blokes over the last few years and, funnily enough, have been considering sticking them into a book...

I have pics of most of them, if somebody can tell me how to insert them...

Cheers

You need a host site for your pics such as imageshack or photo bucket, I use photo bucket and if you go back a few posts you will see how they look. Both are free sites, though I pay due to the amount of photos I post and "bandwidth" I use.
Cheers,
Graham.

Advertisement

#52 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,720 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 22:15

Originally posted by ex Rhodie racer

Graham, I think Richard will forgive me if I say he was better known for his engineering abilities. I don´t wish to suggest he wasn´t a fine competitor, but it was on the engineering side he was best known.
I don´t know much about Greg Barsdorf unfortunately.

Does anyone know any more about the 500 Asagi of Richard Schulz? Was it an oversized 350 or something a bit more trick?

I've tried googling it but I just got a load of stuff about koi carp and computer games :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Any more info greatly appreciated as I've always had a keen interest in hybrids, one-offs and specials.

#53 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 22:28

Originally posted by exclubracer

Does anyone know any more about the 500 Asagi of Richard Schulz? Was it an oversized 350 or something a bit more trick?

I've tried googling it but I just got a load of stuff about koi carp and computer games :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Any more info greatly appreciated as I've always had a keen interest in hybrids, one-offs and specials.

Now this is going back sometime, but dear old BigRog :( I seem to recall said that it was a completely home built machine, I think that is correct, maybe David or Peter Aldridge, or ExRhodie might know, can correct or confirm it for me/us, or even Richard himself as he has been on here a few times. :wave:
Graham.

#54 zakeriath

zakeriath

• 707 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 12:46

For all those who are interested Kork Ballington has release his autobiography.

Ballington Unkorked

#55 stuavant

stuavant

• 704 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 09:38

Originally posted by ry6
There was also Alan North. He won the Dutch GP at Assen I think?

Trust me Alan North was very good. He stayed in my back garden for a while with his wife Karin ( Jon Ekerolds sister ) in the UK . He suffered aparthied in reverse. He was banned from Holland for being a white South African..at hengelo one year some anti south african protesters staged a sit i n on the grid against Alan and Jon...bad move as the dutch fans were there to watch a race not solve the worlds problems..a few kicks n abit of blood later the race started

#56 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 16:29

This is, I think I'm right in saying, South African rider Rudy Allison who finished fifth in the 1954 500cc Senior Isle of Man TT on a Norton.

Posted Image

His helmet livery seems very similar, if not identical, to that of Paddy Driver when he was on bikes; is there a story behind that?

#57 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 17:26

Originally posted by gary76
Three other riders I remember, and a few others will no doubt come to mind.
Rhodesian's, Allen Harris, raced in the UK on L.

Allen Harris now lives in Johannesburg. Found this rare pic of Allen behind the wheel of John Love's Cooper at the 1968 Cape South Easter races. Allen crashed out on lap 8.

Posted Image

#58 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 17:33

Originally posted by Twin Window
This is, I think I'm right in saying, South African rider Rudy Allison who finished fifth in the 1954 500cc Senior Isle of Man TT on a Norton.

Posted Image

His helmet livery seems very similar, if not identical, to that of Paddy Driver when he was on bikes; is there a story behind that?

I think this is Allison, but Eddie Grant had the same helmet.

#59 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 17:45

This is Eddie Grant. Seems that he also had a little Springbok on his helmet.

Posted Image

Advertisement

#60 Steffe Ornerdal

Steffe Ornerdal

• 67 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 17:54

Was Hugh Anderson a South African? Born in SA, raced for New Zealand?

A little bit off topic, what happened to speedway in SA and Rhodesia? There was some really good riders from Africa in the 50's, Henry Long springs to mind, who reached the World Final at Wembley.
Is there any speedway at all nowadays in this part of the world?

#61 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 18:08

Speedway was big in SA under the leadership of Buddy Fuller, but in recent years nothinh much is happening. Not part or under control of MOTORSPORT SOUTH AFRICA. Here is something:

http://www.speedwaysa.co.za/

#62 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 18:55

The late Johan Boshoff...one of these fastest men on two wheels in SA

Posted Image

#63 ZA Perana

ZA Perana

• 31 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:14

Originally posted by ex Rhodie racer
Oh dear, it´s all flooding back. I left two (probably a lot more) very important names out of my list. The first one was that great campaigner, Freddie Van Niekerk. I just loved watching him. Espcially on the 350 Honda twin he won the SA title on in about 1969.
And then there was Bert Klaver. He was the greatest talent I´ve ever seen on 2 wheels. He appeared in about 1971 on a brand new TD2, stunned everyone for 6 months, then had a bad fall in Cape Town (Killarney), broke his leg, and vanished as quickly as he had appeared. There were a few sighs of relief, I can promise you.

Bert Klaver is still very much around, if its the same person, these days he plays around with V8 Chev/Holden Commodores...also did a bit of rallying in the 1980s with Toyota if I recall correctly.

#64 Bernard

Bernard

• 240 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 21:32

Did anyone mention Tommy and Shaun Robinson .Wrote to me after I had a letter published in Classic Racer and visited me one weekend some 15 years ago now. Never kept in touch...

#65 rayrichards

rayrichards

• 2 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 19:27

RAY RICHARDS IS ALIVE AND WELL LIVING IN WORTHING WEST SUSSEX ENGLAND, NOW 72 YEARS OLD STILL RIDDING HIS MOTOR BIKE, FIRST STREET COWBOYS FREINDS OF JEFF MASSON GARRY GULLINAN PADDY FALLON RACING NORTON 350 500 LATE FIFTYS EARLY 60S. WANTED ANY OLD PHOTOS PLEASE OR ONFO.

#66 ex Rhodie racer 2

ex Rhodie racer 2

• 1,140 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:21

RAY RICHARDS IS ALIVE AND WELL LIVING IN WORTHING WEST SUSSEX ENGLAND, NOW 72 YEARS OLD STILL RIDDING HIS MOTOR BIKE, FIRST STREET COWBOYS FREINDS OF JEFF MASSON GARRY GULLINAN PADDY FALLON RACING NORTON 350 500 LATE FIFTYS EARLY 60S. WANTED ANY OLD PHOTOS PLEASE OR ONFO.

I´m not sure if the poster is Ray Richards, or someone who kindly let us know Ray is alive and well, but thanks anyhow, and welcome to the forum. :wave:
Ray was one of my boyhood hero´s, so it´s wonderful news that he is doing well. Great rider. Unfortunately I don´t have any pics of him, but if someone else does, pleeeeeez share them with us.

#67 vince klokkou

vince klokkou

• 10 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 14:47

Getting horribly pissed if you ask me. Hey, they´re ex SA racers aren´t they? :lol: :lol:

No need to be rude!

#68 ex Rhodie racer 2

ex Rhodie racer 2

• 1,140 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 16:29

No need to be rude!

I´ll give you a clue.

:lol: :lol:

Get it? :wave:

#69 rayrichards

rayrichards

• 2 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 20:52

I´m not sure if the poster is Ray Richards, or someone who kindly let us know Ray is alive and well, but thanks anyhow, and welcome to the forum. :wave:
Ray was one of my boyhood hero´s, so it´s wonderful news that he is doing well. Great rider. Unfortunately I don´t have any pics of him, but if someone else does, pleeeeeez share them with us.

Thanks for your reply I will pass on your kind words to Ray.

#70 Jenny Richards Cruickshank

Jenny Richards Cruickshank

• 13 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 18:20

I have a few pictures of this wonderful rider and I am allowed to say that as he is my Dad ( so forever my hero). The poster is not my Dad but someone who is a good friend, as my dad has not gotten with the times and still doesnt have the internet. I was very glad to hear about this forum and love that there is such a place for people to remember all the greats out there. ex Rhodie my dad has a few scrapbooks that he compiled while he was riding and they make for some very interesting reading.

#71 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 18:28

I have a few pictures of this wonderful rider and I am allowed to say that as he is my Dad ( so forever my hero). The poster is not my Dad but someone who is a good friend, as my dad has not gotten with the times and still doesnt have the internet. I was very glad to hear about this forum and love that there is such a place for people to remember all the greats out there. ex Rhodie my dad has a few scrapbooks that he compiled while he was riding and they make for some very interesting reading.

Hi Jenny and welcome to the forum.

#72 ex Rhodie racer 2

ex Rhodie racer 2

• 1,140 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 19:30

Hi Jenny, so happy you posted. Please ask your dad to let you have some pics of himself that you can share with us. Many people in Rhodesia rated Ray right up there with the very best, so it is important that he is still remembered for the great rider he was.
Please give him my very best wishes, and tell him there are still people out there who will never forget him, or the charging style that made him a champion.
Much love and respect to you and your dad. :kiss: :wave:

#73 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 20:31

Hi Jenny and welcome to the forum.

Hi from me also Jenny , look forward to reading about your dads exploits :up: :wave:

#74 vince klokkou

vince klokkou

• 10 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 21:30

No need to be rude!

No

#75 gmwzorro

gmwzorro

• 2,498 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 22:37

I remember Brett Hudson on a nice looking yellow/green (?) RG500 at the '84 SA GP when it was run in torrential rain, never heard much more about him though, any more info anyone?

Posted Image
Brett Hudson 1984 European Champs Donington
Gary

#76 Jenny Richards Cruickshank

• 13 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 17:51

Posted Image

No need to guess who this is?

Edited by Jenny Richards Cruickshank, 25 October 2009 - 17:53.

#77 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 18:04

Posted Image

No need to guess who this is?

Hi Jenny, for those of us who are a little vague about Ray's career, can you give us some biog info?

#78 Jenny Richards Cruickshank

• 13 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 18:25

Hi Jenny, for those of us who are a little vague about Ray's career, can you give us some biog info?

Will definately post some more info on my Dad soon. Is there a way in which we could ask members of the forum if they have contact details for certain riders etc. The reason I ask is that my Dad has lost touch with a few friends over the years and he was asking me to find out if there was a way in which we could help him to locate some of these people? Take Care everyone and good night from me.

#79 ex Rhodie racer 2

ex Rhodie racer 2

• 1,140 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 19:03

Will definately post some more info on my Dad soon. Is there a way in which we could ask members of the forum if they have contact details for certain riders etc. The reason I ask is that my Dad has lost touch with a few friends over the years and he was asking me to find out if there was a way in which we could help him to locate some of these people? Take Care everyone and good night from me.

Which people in particular Jenny?
Just loved that pic of Ray. Brought so many great memories flooding back. I´m not ashamed to say it brought a tear to my eye. Please Jenny, put up some more.
My most vivid memory of Ray was his absolute mastery of what was a feared bend, Henry´s knee, on the old Roy Hesketh circuit. He was the only guy taking it on the stop. It was altered later, and wasn´t anything special after that, and that is why I will always associate the old Henry´s with your Dad. Wonderful memories.

Advertisement

#80 kerrowmoar

kerrowmoar

• 560 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:07

Can anyone give us the list of champions after 1968, and from 1953 to 1964? The rest of that info must be on page 379...

My info on the Superbike champions:
2007 Arushen Moodley, Suzuki
2006 Shaun Whyte, Yamaha
2005 Sheridan Morais
2004 Hudson Kennaugh
2003 Russell Wood
2002 Russell Wood, Yamaha
2001 Greg Dreyer, Honda
2000 Stewart MacLeod
1999 Russell Wood
1998 Brett MacLeod, Suzuki
1997 Russell Wood
1996 Greg Dreyer
1995 Greg Dreyer
1994 Greg Dreyer
1993 Greg Dreyer
1992 Russell Wood

That must be the same Greg Dreyer that came over to the uk in about 91 i think and did the 600 nationals
Good to see he went on to be SA champion cos he was bloody quick (and a bit hairy)

#81 Jenny Richards Cruickshank

• 13 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 13:37

I will add some more photos of my dad and others as soon as I get hold of the scrapbooks my dad has. Unfortunately he is in the UK and I am in Dubai, so it may take a while as he is only due to visit at the end of November. With regards to the people he wants to contact I will get back to you as I cant remember the names he gave me right now.
Thanks and I am glad you liked the photo I did manage to find.

#82 slippery sam

slippery sam

• 5 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 17:53

Here is a video on the South African motorcycle academy,a project aimed at grooming South Africas youngsters aged 8-13 into our stars of tomorrow.If you are able to offer any assistance in this project i would really like to speak with you.

#83 Carol Field

Carol Field

• 5 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 01:20

Did anyone mention Tommy and Shaun Robinson .Wrote to me after I had a letter published in Classic Racer and visited me one weekend some 15 years ago now. Never kept in touch...

Hello , I know you dont know me however my Dad Bill Bates was the man who was the mechanic :wave: for Ray Richards, Ophie Howard, and Siggi Kharner in the 1960. I am trying to locate addresses for them. I was very close to all of these people and their familes and they were all an intergral part of my childhood and part of our family as daily visitors to our home. Mum has been trying to find a contact for several years now. Dad is no longer with us but also tried whilst he was alive to locate them. If you can help me with this I would appreciate it. Many thanks Carol

#84 Carol Field

Carol Field

• 5 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 01:27

Posted Image
Gary

Hi Jenny, My name is Carol Nee Bates. Dad and Ray were close for many years. Dad was the mechanic for Ray, Ophie,and Siggi. Dad and Ray also worked at the power station together Dad is no longer with us but was looking for a way to find addresses for contact. We came close a few times through the Petersen family but were unlucky. I would so love to contact him for myself too. when I was little we as a family were so close also with your Grandparents and rest of the family. I hope this is successful in making a contact between famillies. look forward to hearing from you. soon Carol

#85 Carol Field

Carol Field

• 5 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 01:40

Posted Image
Gary

Jenny Hi, I think I posted the last not in the wrong place never mind. My Name is Carol Nee Bates. Dad was the mechanic for Ray, Ofie and Siggi during the 60's. until we went back to the UK. Dad is no longer with us . however Mum and I would love to contact your Dad. We have been trying to locate him for a number of years without success. I so hope this is the connection. Thanks in anticipation. Carol

#86 Jenny Richards Cruickshank

• 13 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 18:56

Hi guys,
My dad would like to know if there is anyone out there that has some contact information for Errol Cowan as he has lost touch with him?
Thanks in advance
Jenny

#87 Jenny Richards Cruickshank

• 13 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 19:00

Which people in particular Jenny?
Just loved that pic of Ray. Brought so many great memories flooding back. I´m not ashamed to say it brought a tear to my eye. Please Jenny, put up some more.
My most vivid memory of Ray was his absolute mastery of what was a feared bend, Henry´s knee, on the old Roy Hesketh circuit. He was the only guy taking it on the stop. It was altered later, and wasn´t anything special after that, and that is why I will always associate the old Henry´s with your Dad. Wonderful memories.

Dad says to tell you that he used to take that bend, full throttle and with eyes closed... always a dare devil and still is..
He is sorting the photos out at the moment and will let me have them in a few weeks time.

#88 racer7

racer7

• 2 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 06:33

There are so many guys who were bike racers back then. Roy Hesketh was my 'local' track, being a Durban Boy, and a NMCC member!
As names come to me, I'll post names of some who became famous, or just disappeared!
Can't remember the guy's name, but the starter at Hesketh wore a Bowler Hat.
One name that comes to me is Joe Nel, I think from Newcastle/ Vryheid, who had a very quick Honda CR72/ 77?
Jon Ekerold even had a race or two on it. Tommy Johns, who was the foreman at Charlie Young Yamaha was a really helpful guy to me. I worked around the corner at Durose's Automotive, thus spent my lunch times chatting to him and Jon! And bought parts from Jim Redman who was a partner with Charlie Young I think?
Great days then!
Darryl Moodie, 250 Yamaha and RC77 305 Honda was quite respected.
Malcolm Kinsey was THE motorsport photographer late 60's and 70's. If he's around still, his archives will be priceless!
racer7

#89 racer7

racer7

• 2 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 19:39

Ahhhhh...John Roberts......I think?

#90 ex Rhodie racer 2

ex Rhodie racer 2

• 1,140 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 18:23

Ahhhhh...John Roberts......I think?

Ali (Alister) Roberts. Great guy. Besides being the official starter for many many years, he also raced a single pot 250 Montesa, very well as I recall.

#91 pmbboy

pmbboy

• 265 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 17:14

Ali (Alister) Roberts. Great guy. Besides being the official starter for many many years, he also raced a single pot 250 Montesa, very well as I recall.

Hi,
Alistair Roberts was the long time starter at Hesketh along with Colin Dove, both local Pietermaritzburg guys. My Dad Doug was NMSU steward for many years as well as being a scrutineer along with Ossie Fisher, George Finch and George Shrives.
All these guys were all part of the Hesketh team who got the circuit built and kept the meetingsrunning, if it was not for them and the rest of the team we would have not had any wonderfull Hesketh days to look back on.
As a yougster I can always remember the PA team who were Myles Crerar and Frank Drake and the ran commetary from the tower on Beacon hill and the Exide tower at Angels Angle.
Great memories.
Peter

#92 barrykm

barrykm

• 808 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 16:14

Hi,
Alistair Roberts was the long time starter at Hesketh along with Colin Dove, both local Pietermaritzburg guys. My Dad Doug was NMSU steward for many years as well as being a scrutineer along with Ossie Fisher, George Finch and George Shrives.
All these guys were all part of the Hesketh team who got the circuit built and kept the meetingsrunning, if it was not for them and the rest of the team we would have not had any wonderfull Hesketh days to look back on.
As a yougster I can always remember the PA team who were Myles Crerar and Frank Drake and the ran commetary from the tower on Beacon hill and the Exide tower at Angels Angle.
Great memories.
Peter

Ah..and the Souza music that was played between events..great days indeed!

#93 ex Rhodie racer 2

ex Rhodie racer 2

• 1,140 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 13:50

Very sad news. Erroll was a very good friend and a wonderful racer. Definitely one of the real stylists of his day.
RIP fella. :cry:
http://www.roadracin.../?article=38878

#94 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,720 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 14:12

Very sad news. Erroll was a very good friend and a wonderful racer. Definitely one of the real stylists of his day.
RIP fella. :cry:
http://www.roadracin.../?article=38878

Sad news :cry:

Yet another well-known star from the sport to have passed away.

Sincere condolences to family and friends.

#95 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 15:46

Sad news :cry:

Yet another well-known star from the sport to have passed away.

Sincere condolences to family and friends.

Yes , very sad news , I endorse all thats been said :cry:
Rip Erroll

#96 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 20:22

Erroll, with fellow South African, John Smith, up his megga, Brands, mid sixties.
Posted Image

Edited by Russell Burrows, 09 December 2009 - 09:59.

#97 barrykm

barrykm

• 808 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 18:51

R.I.P. Errol - my favourite as a young lad at Hesketh in the early/mid 60s

#98 pmbboy

pmbboy

• 265 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 22:31

Very sad to hear of the passing of Errol,
For me it means the passing of another great South African rider who showed he was as good as anyone at home or abroad.
R.I.P Errol
Peter
Errol at Hesketh
Posted Image

#99 ex Rhodie racer 2

ex Rhodie racer 2

• 1,140 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 11:09

Very sad to hear of the passing of Errol,
For me it means the passing of another great South African rider who showed he was as good as anyone at home or abroad.
R.I.P Errol
Peter
Errol at Hesketh

Thanks for posting that pic Peter. What a brilliant shot of a brilliant rider on a brilliant circuit. :up:

Advertisement

#100 richard schulz

richard schulz

• 12 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 13:24

Now this is going back sometime, but dear old BigRog :( I seem to recall said that it was a completely home built machine, I think that is correct, maybe David or Peter Aldridge, or ExRhodie might know, can correct or confirm it for me/us, or even Richard himself as he has been on here a few times. :wave:
Graham.

Hi - Just come across the thread after some time. The Assegai was based on a Kohler snowmobile crankcase, 440cc and mated to a six speed gearbox/dry clutch designed by me and built bu Barry Hart. The motor used Amal monobloc carbs made in Spain and bored out to 40mm. The problems on it's first race was the viton rubber tip on the float needle coming off after the warm up lap. The race was a clutch start, and the carb overflowed on the dummy grid due to the faulty float and soaked the dry clutch with oil - huge clutch slip which lasted for two or three laps and then cooked the clutch. the frame was my own ally monocoque, and the bike weighed 92 kg, about 30 kg lighter than an RG 500. Power was 94BHP vs 130BHP from a good RG500. The bike wwas left with a relative in the UK when I came back to SA, and he decided to become a hippy in British Honduras and gave it away..........

Have a look at what I am doing currently - look at www.adeptairmotive.com, some interesting stuff there.

The guys are right - definately a first class 2nd Class rider.......