Photo

Kovalainen - hero or zero

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

Poll: Kovalainen - hero or zero (180 member(s) have cast votes)

1. Absolutely, he is a top-5 F1 driver for sure (86 votes [47.78%])

Percentage of vote: 47.78%

2. Yes, he will make a good 2nd driver for McLaren (68 votes [37.78%])

Percentage of vote: 37.78%

3. Dunno, he is average but the best available (22 votes [12.22%])

Percentage of vote: 12.22%

4. No, he is a poor driver wasting a winning car (4 votes [2.22%])

Percentage of vote: 2.22%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#51 Suntrek

Suntrek

• 1,796 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 20:39

Kovalainen has yet failed to impress me in any way whatsoever.

It will be most interesting to see what he can do in a McLaren.

Advertisement

#52 F1 Tor.

F1 Tor.

• 2,832 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 01:20

Originally posted by Suntrek
Kovalainen has yet failed to impress me in any way whatsoever.

It will be most interesting to see what he can do in a McLaren.

If you weren't impressed with him holding off Kimi in the wet at Fuji then I'm afraid we'll have to stop the discussion right here. :wave:

#53 karlth

karlth

• 16,290 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 01:37

Originally posted by F1 Tor.

If you weren't impressed with him holding off Kimi in the wet at Fuji then I'm afraid we'll have to stop the discussion right here. :wave:

Nobody is saying Kovalainen is a bad driver, just that perhaps he isn't of the absolute best. There have been glimpses of greatness sure but nothing more.

Beating Hamilton would though be a great way to prove his doubters wrong.

#54 Suntrek

Suntrek

• 1,796 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 01:48

Originally posted by F1 Tor.

No, you are quite right about Fuji - in fact it struck me as soon as I had posted.

He was impressive there and I would really have liked to see how he would have managed if the race had been a few laps longer. :wave:

#55 former champ

former champ

• 2,537 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 04:54

Originally posted by Oho

That is kind of reassuring as it implies Heikki should have no trouble seeing off the likes of Alonso....

which is what Hamilton did. Not Kimi. As far as I know, Raikkonen was in a Ferrari last year.

#56 Menace

Menace

• 12,799 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 05:22

Originally posted by former champ

which is what Hamilton did. Not Kimi. As far as I know, Raikkonen was in a Ferrari last year.

Ok, so in your "guesstimates" Hamilton would have beaten Kimi at McLaren last year then? Or? I mean Kimi at his 6th season with Mclaren would have surely goten beaten by Hamilton? :D

I bet you the general consensus is that Kimi would have had a much easier time with Hamilton last year then Alonso, but hey, whatever. Clearly Kimi is just a good driver while Hamilton is "special" like Senna and co.

:lol:

#57 former champ

former champ

• 2,537 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 05:28

Originally posted by Menace

Ok, so in your "guesstimates" Hamilton would have beaten Kimi at McLaren last year then? Or? I mean Kimi at his 6th season with Mclaren would have surely goten beaten by Hamilton? :D

I bet you the general consensus is that Kimi would have had a much easier time with Hamilton last year then Alonso, but hey, whatever. Clearly Kimi is just a good driver while Hamilton is "special" like Senna and co.

:lol:

In all honesty what the **** are you talking about? I was simply making the point that Hamilton has seen off Alonso in the same car. Kimi hasn't. Nothing more than that. Oho had a crack at Durant for saying Heikki is like Raikkonen, then Oho implied that's reassuring because it means he'd have no trouble seeing off Alonso.

In what universe? Raikkonen hasn't been teammate to Alonso. So what exactly are you trying to say?

What gets me is time and again I have stated just how I rate Raikkonen and that is VERY highly. Yet constantly I cop this from you and whoever else. Beats me.

#58 woftam

woftam

• 1,081 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 07:39

Originally posted by micra_k10

You mean Vettel? Excuse me but how did he do a better job than Heikki? Pity for Webber but kudos for Heikki for staying out of trouble, as usually :up:

Webber and Vettel were both running quicker than Heikki. He got lucky but that's fine.
However he hasn't in my opinion earned his McLaren drive at all.
It doesn't mean he wont do well or wont prove to be super fast but he didn't earn the drive with his 2007 form.

#59 giacomo

giacomo

• 6,977 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 07:45

Kovalainen? I hope he is good enough to put some pressure onto Hamilton.

Otherwise it would be far too easy for the new young phenomenon, after his team had removed Alonso the troublemaker.

Advertisement

#60 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,644 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 14:50

Originally posted by woftam
Webber and Vettel were both running quicker than Heikki. He got lucky but that's fine.
However he hasn't in my opinion earned his McLaren drive at all.
It doesn't mean he wont do well or wont prove to be super fast but he didn't earn the drive with his 2007 form.

I mean Vettel ****ed up his own race you cant blame Kovalainen lucky for that. Kovalainen achieved a better result, with maybe a dry setup? :up:

I voted Kovalainen was the best available. Propably he will make a good 2nd driver as well, but he has some way to prove he is on the level of top drivers.

#61 OSX

OSX

• 4,877 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 15:03

I think Kovalainen definitely deserves to be in a McLaren. He'll make an excellent 2nd driver for the team. Not quite in the same league as the top three of Raikkonen, Hamilton and Alonso but he will be a solid points scorer for McLaren.

#62 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,902 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 15:06

Heikki in the top 5?, hell no. Maybe at the end of the season but right now he is not a top 5 driver. Kimi, Massa, Alonso, Kubica, Hamilton, Nick and maybe Webber with a good car is a better driver than he.