Photo

1966 Suzuki X6 Hustler - race conversion

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Racer Rick

Racer Rick

• 4 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 19:59

I have an old motorcycle that I am trying to learn more about. If you know anything about these, let me hear from you.
The bike started life as a 1966 Suzuki X6 Hustler (250cc twin) and has a been professionally converted to a full-on road racer. It has a full bodyfairing and "clip-on" style handlebars and expansion chambers that are unmuffled. The bike has a long squared cafe' style gas tank and a very short seat with a "bobbed" fiberglass rear fender. I am told that this was a Ron Grant conversion, repotredly done in Canada. I have visited some web sites and confirmed the X6 hustler origin of the bike, but have been unable to find info on the conversion. It is surely a professional job as everything is pure to performance in design and execution. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

#2 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 22:11

Would that be what ws known in the UK s the "Super Six"?? Which I think was the first genuine 100mph 250 in Europe.

#3 Racer Rick

Racer Rick

• 4 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 07:44

Steve,
You are exactly correct. I know this bike saw some duty on the tracks in Europe and had several designations, depending on location and intended market. In it's original form it also was called the T 120 and later T 121 with a few minor changes. The X5 Hustler also preceded the X6, but as the name implies, it utilized a 5 speed gearbox. I'm told that the 5 speed proved to be stronger than the 6 speed, but that later refinements improved the 6 speed units.
I'm still trying to learn more about Ron Grant and his involvement with this machine.
Thanks for your response and interest in the bike.

#4 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 09:26

I had one!!! There was quite a lot of tuning stuff available in the UK from companies such as Read Titan, Dunstall and Sondel (who were mainly Yamaha), when I get home in two weeks I'll see if I still have anything. I still have a couple of contacts, so who knows. Can you post any pictures?

#5 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 09:32

Me again!! If you go to http://www.t20suzuki.com/ and click on "your bikes" I think there are a couple of raing versions. Adrian knows his stuff T20 wise!!

#6 Racer Rick

Racer Rick

• 4 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 18:44

Steve,
Thank you greatly for the additional info. My motorcycle is in storage in a location about 60 miles from me so I can't take photos at this time. Due to a minor crash the my father suffered on the bike the windscreen and body fairing are in need of repiar. The bike is otherwise fully repaired and running (some time ago now). I don't have any recent photos of the bike, but I will look to see if I, or my father, have any from our track days that I can post for you. The bike is bright orange and carries the number 12 in a white oval. I hope to have the windscreen replaced in the near future and the fairing repainted (it has now been repaired). I have yet to track down someone to form the new windscreen. Thanks again.
Rick

#7 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 19:14

No problem, I'm a patient man!!!

I'll keep you posted as to what I can find out and if I can track anybody down that may be able to help, I'll point you in their direction.

#8 Macca

Macca

• 3,728 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 23:01

There's also here:-

http://www.geocities.../5374/index.htm

and more on some of the links there.

Paul M (former X7 owner)

#9 Racer Rick

Racer Rick

• 4 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 00:39

f1steveuk and Macca,
Thanks to both of you for these linksand information. Both are great links and I have greatly enjoyed spending time checking out the info there. I had no idea that these bikes had the following that they seem to enjoy. I have already learned a great deal about these bikes and it has really peaked my interedst in getting this thing back on the track. I'm still trying to learn more about Ron Grant who performed the GP racing conversion on this bike. Many thanks.