Photo

Richard Lloyd and David Leslie

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 21:27

I was near Farnborough, Kent, this afternoon and later was surprised to hear that a small plane had crashed killing all five occupants. Sadly, Sky News has just named both David Leslie and Richard Lloyd as two of the passengers........R.I.P. after such long careers, a tragedy to be taken in this way. God Bless both and the other passengers who perished.

Advertisement

#2 bigears

bigears

• 973 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 21:34

Oh no! :cry:

I remember Leslie for his BTCC career and Richard Lloyd for his sportscar team.

#3 flat-16

flat-16

• 478 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 21:34

That's horrible news. I have some great memories of watching David race.

My thoughts go out to their families.

Justin

#4 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 21:42

This is dreadful news. I even raced against David Leslie in the Walter Hayes Trophy at Silverstone the year before last, he was still red hot. RIP.

#5 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 21:46

Yes, very sad news indeed. When I heard it had gone down near Biggin my thoughts immediately were of motorsport folk and sadly it seems to be true. There were three passengers and two pilots, no news yet on the identity of the third passenger though.

I very much enjoyed David Leslie's calm and informed commentary on Eurosport, which was a nice antidote to the people he generally tended to sit alongside!

RIP David and Richard.

Michael

#6 bigears

bigears

• 973 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 21:47

It is reported that Mike Roberts is the third passenger.

#7 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,533 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 21:51

I heard this tragic news earlier this evening. To the families - we are thinking of you...

DCN

#8 Roger Stoddard

Roger Stoddard

• 14 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 22:14

I'm so sorry to hear this. The last time I saw David was in 2003 when he was racing his old pale blue Royale RP21 in the Walter Hayes Formula Ford Trophy meeting. I was so pleased then [and surpised] to see that his dad, David Snr. was still around and active and looked just the same as ever.

I haven't heard any differently, so I suspect I particularly feel condolences for the old man now!

Apart from all else, David Leslie Motorsport [pere et fils] ran a very good operation in the late '80s and early '90s, effectively 'creating' such Scottish racing drivers as David Coulthard and Dario Franchitti.

#9 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 22:18

Truly terrible news, which will affect an awful lot of people in the sport. Two blokes who I've known casually for almost thirty years. Just awful...

My thoughts are with their families.

#10 FLB

FLB

• 29,675 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 22:18

Posted Image

Aston Martin AMR-1, ex-David Leslie (picture by me, 2006 Sommet des Légendes)

Condoleances to their family and friends. Both of them are huge losses for the British touring and sportscar communities :(

#11 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,213 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 22:23

I must admit my first thought was for our very own Allen Brown, who lives near the crash site.

The you start to wonder, as Michael said, if it's motorsport folk. And once again, sadly, yep it is.

I cannot fathom that both Will Hoy & David Leslie are no longer with us. David was a damn good driver, who deserved a F1 crack in my opinion, and was an inspiration & a huge help to David Coulthard, who I imagine will be very hard hit by this news after McRae's death in the same manner & of course, Coulthard's lucky escape in the same vein, but with a better outcome than today.

It looks like 2008 is shaping up to be one of the worst years in living memory for motor racing. All I can think now is whatever next?? :cry:

#12 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 22:42

Originally posted by Richie Jenkins
I must admit my first thought was for our very own Allen Brown, who lives near the crash site.

The you start to wonder, as Michael said, if it's motorsport folk. And once again, sadly, yep it is.

I cannot fathom that both Will Hoy & David Leslie are no longer with us. David was a damn good driver, who deserved a F1 crack in my opinion, and was an inspiration & a huge help to David Coulthard, who I imagine will be very hard hit by this news after McRae's death in the same manner & of course, Coulthard's lucky escape in the same vein, but with a better outcome than today.

It looks like 2008 is shaping up to be one of the worst years in living memory for motor racing. All I can think now is whatever next?? :cry:

Actually, Richie, Allen lives in the other Farnborough - in Hampshire. I was more worried it might have hit Bernie's collection ....;)

But - as you say - it's not been a good year so far.

Condolences to all the families involved.

#13 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,213 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 22:59

Originally posted by Vitesse2

Actually, Richie, Allen lives in the other Farnborough - in Hampshire. I was more worried it might have hit Bernie's collection ....;)

There's two Farnboroughs? Well, I never.. You learn something new every day (although in this case, I would've preferred not to, or at least like this...)

I just saw Farnborough, thought there was only one & thought of AB. How embarrassing... :blush:

#14 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 22:59

Terrible news, the bitter irony being I was discussing the crash earlier and said "well at least it's not anyone who was at the Brands BTCC meeting, we would've heard....". No - the FIA GT testing in France :(

Why's it always the good guys? :(

Sympathies to all the friends, families and colleagues past and present of everyone killed in that accident - and the poor souls whose homes were destroyed.

#15 bigears

bigears

• 973 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 23:16

Originally posted by Richie Jenkins

There's two Farnboroughs? Well, I never.. You learn something new every day (although in this case, I would've preferred not to, or at least like this...)

I just saw Farnborough, thought there was only one & thought of AB. How embarrassing... :blush:

I have just learnt of the fact that there are two Farnboroughs as I used to live near the Hampshire town when I was young.

I was worried for a minute that my friends was affected or involved in the accident when I first saw it on the BBC News website.

#16 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,466 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 23:27

Very, very sad news indeed. Comfort to the families.

Jack.

#17 BorderReiver

BorderReiver

• 9,957 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 23:30

A really dreadful, dreadful thing.

I had the great privilege to know David Leslie a little and he was, aside from being a formidable and extremely talented driver, an extremely kind, patient, supportive man.

We were born only a few miles apart and I grew up knowing him as the local racer to emulate, a real, current, competing idol for me when I was having my (far less successful) early steps in motorsport. It was to my utter surprise and delight when he came and sought me out at a meeting, having seen me listed as a Lockerbie lad (he was an Annan boy and we traditionally unite against Doonhamers) in a race-program. He wished me luck and gave me a little (excellent) advice.

Our paths crossed many more times, and to my amazement he always recognized me and was always quick with a "Hello", a few kind words, more invaluable help and a readiness to answer any questions I had. I was always more than overawed by the man and so never really took advantage of that as much as I should have.

The last time I saw him was a quite a few years ago now after I finished well in, one of my very few (and as it turned out, last) Formula Vee races, at Donington, where he told me I'd driven "a bloody good race". Quite easily the greatest compliment anyone has ever, or probably will ever, give me. True to form, the next time out I wrote the Vee off in a ridiculous practice accident which was entirely a result of my own stupidity. I'm glad he wasn't around to see that.

So we'll never see his evocative style in touring cars, or here his level and well considered commentary ever again.

A staggering, and needless, loss.

Sitting here rocked by the news.

#18 EcosseF1

EcosseF1

• 144 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 00:37

Terrible news. R.I.P.

#19 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,812 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 03:39

:(

Advertisement

#20 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:24

Reports this morning on BBC radio that the small twin engined Citation jet took off from Biggin Hill airport yesterday afternoon Sunday, almost immediately experienced engine loss of power decided to return to the airfield turned around, lost height, - on the radio one of the pilots was heard to say "we are going down " reported a Biggin Hill spokesman.
The plane crashed down on to a housing estate at Farnborough Kent destroying 2 houses sending up a huge fireball. All 5 on board we killed instantly including David Leslie, Richard Lloyd and a pilot named as Mike Roberts.
Miraculously no one was killed or even injured on the ground. The occupants of the main house destroyed were away on holiday. Several eye witnesses saw the plane flying very low and striking the ground and amateur film was shown on television late last night of the immediate aftermath before even the fire brigade arrived, a terrible sight.
It is reported that the plane was heading for the south of France and that Richard Lloyd and David Leslie were working on a Jaguar racing project.

Another terrible tragedy and yet again motor sport figures killed in light aircraft disasters as so many have been in the past. All our thoughts I am sure with relatives and friends, an awful loss of talented people with long histories in motor racing.

#21 green-blood

green-blood

• 709 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 07:07

this is tragic news, of course thoughts are now with the families of all those who have lost their lives

The pilot is reported this morning to have done everything to avoid a playground in the open area they had identified to put down... the evasive action contributed to the fierce impact. What a selfless act

#22 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 07:18

Dreadful terrible news. As Sterling says, the identity of three on board was announced on Sky News late last night...shocking. My first thought whenever I hear of a small private jet going down is the racing community, as so many use this form of transport. Sadly this was true again.

I first met David when he raced his pale blue RP24 in 1977, the same car he has used in the WHT in recent years. A true gent and always had time for a chat. Back in '77 I admired his dedication, travelling down every weekend to race from Carlisle, in the camper van with FF car on the trailer, even if it did involve a trip down to Brands one week, back to work on the Monday morning then back down to Thruxton the next. I never met Richard, but like many of us, have seen him, his team or cars racing most of our lives. My first memory of him, seeing him race his green Gold Seal Triumph Spitfire in modsports at Snetterton in 1968.

Tragic. RIP David & Richard.

#23 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 07:39

This is the BBC news 24 television report

ITN news report at 10.30 this morning

http://www.orange.co...sfivedieincrash

#24 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 07:43

Originally posted by Andrew Kitson
My first memory of him, seeing him race his green Gold Seal Triumph Spitfire in modsports at Snetterton in 1968.

Tragic. RIP David & Richard.

Same for me Andy,only at Brands, it was always immaculately prepared, with lovely MiniLites IIRC.

#25 brandspro

brandspro

• 72 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 07:53

Always respected David Leslie as a driver, as he never seemed to participate in all the argy-bargy that has become so prevelant in the BTCC in recent years. He always struck me as a humble man, and a quick, but fair driver. Too few of that sort around these days. A tragic loss.

#26 raoul leDuke

raoul leDuke

• 151 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:14

Until the first time David drove with me in my Tiga TS86 at the British Grand Prix support race in 1986 I could never understand the enjoyment of owning a car for someone else to drive. I was looking for someone quick to share the car with and Will Hoy suggested David. Quiet, almost shy, when I met him for the first time, he was not what I expected and, having never seen him drive, I did not know what to expect.

Posted Image

When the flag dropped, so did my jaw. David was transformed. Watching him take the little 2 litre Tiga through Paddock and up the hill to Druids passing much larger cars was fantastic. His dice with Tiff Needell in Richard Piper's Cosworth powered Chevron, which lasted through out his stint in the car, was a joy to watch. Tiff would get ahead on the straits but David would get him back in the corners. This went on lap after lap until we changed over. Tiff kept going a little longer and I was no match for David's skill. When Tiff handed over to Richard Piper we were behind and though we kept in touch we finished fourth overall, first in class.

Posted Image

A lovely man who, like Will and many others, had the talent to succeed on a much larger stage than the BTCC.

No words can properly convey my condolences to his friends and family, I will just say that I will always remember that day at Brands and I will always be saddened by the fact that he is now no longer with us.

#27 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:25

It should also be noted that David was already a winner this season, winning the Britcar race at Silverstone over Easter on March 22nd in a BMW shared with Harry Handkammer.

#28 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:40

Originally posted by Andrew Kitson
I first met David when he raced his pale blue RP24 in 1977, the same car he has used in the WHT in recent years.

Not many drivers would rebuild their original Formula Ford and race it again nearly 30 years later. His drive from the back of the grid in the WHT was amazing. Overtaking something like 20 odd cars on the first lap alone - a master class of wet weather driving.

Sad news.

#29 Maldwyn

Maldwyn

• 1,488 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:41

Terrible news :cry: My condolences to the families of those involved.

#30 Coral

Coral

• 6,758 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:42

Terrible news, my sympathies go out to the families. :cry:

#31 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,221 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:59

My colleague Hugh McCaig telephoned me early last night with the terrible news. David and Richard were going testing with the Jaguar. It is not only a tragedy for his wife Jane and his two sons but for David Leslie senior who, along with David, nurtured three of Scotland's most talented modern drivers, Allan McNish, David Coulhard and Dario Franchitti. Young David first raced karts at Ingliston many years ago and then moved into Formula Ford with sponsorship from Bert McNish, Allan's father. At the time the Leslies had moved from Scotland to Carlisle where they had a Fiat dealership in the town. The McNish's and Leslies, fathers and sons, were great friends through the years.
David Leslie never blew his own trumpet and was very modest. He and Jane wanted to attend the Monaco Historics this year and he asked about whether he would be allowed into the paddock. Typically Michel Ferry the Clerk of the Course for the Monaco Grand Prix immediately offered David and Jane VIP passes for the event so underlining his recognition He was willing to help anyone in the paddock and was never happier than diving into someone elses car.
Richard Lloyd was also a very quiet and modest man who was a very competent racing driver and a world class team owner - who can forget his Porsches at Le Mans and the like. Hard to get to know but a good friend when you were accepted.
We will miss them both.

#32 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:10

The MSA pays tribute in this press release:

http://app.e2ma.net/...ec5954430e9eafb

#33 MCS

MCS

• 4,697 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:28

Terrible, terrible news.

I have very fond memories of watching David at the start of his single-seater career, firstly in the novice Dunlop Star of Tomorrow Formula Ford 1600 championship in his old Crossle - against the likes of Nigel Mansell - and then of course in his immaculate Royale RP24 the following season. I covered a number of his early races for Motoring News and Autosport and was quickly convinced of his obvious ability. It was a great shame he never got the breaks in his single-seater career. I can remember a FF2000 race in 1978 at Cadwell Park held in monsoon conditions which he dominated to such a degree he looked as though he would lap half the field - this in a FF2000 race! - until he decided to slow down towards the end and ensure the victory.

I bumped into him at an RACMSA Touring Car function in the nineties and he hadn't changed at all - still the quietly spoken, polite, respectable David.

Only met Richard Lloyd a couple of times, but his inate racing talent - remember his exploits in the Group 1 Golf GTI - and racing manager expertise were evident to all.

How very sad.

#34 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,533 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:29

I find it so sad when racers - drivers, mechanics, team chiefs - die as passengers. And it sounds initially as if much the same can be said for the unfortunate flight crew. All they ever ran out of... was luck...

DCN

#35 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,433 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:32

Sad news.

Did David Leslie win a Formula Atlantic Championship in early 80s?

#36 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:37

As I remember Richard Lloyd's company was responsible for design and construction of the first ever honeycombe aluminium monocoque Porsche 962 and went on to be heavily invoved in the early Audi coupe ,the R8C in 1999, prototypes at Le Mans and with the Bentley LM campaign.

BRDC biography

http://www.brdc.co.u...2/member_id/144

Apex Motorsport details of the 2008 Jaguar XK8R to be raced in the FIA GT3 class

http://www.crash.net..._exclusive.html

Apex history

http://www.jaguar-en...rt-history.html

Autosport's account of Richard's career

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/66245

Richard was also heavily involved in the historic Group C revival series of races

http://www.groupcracing.com/meets/8

#37 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:42

Originally posted by RTH
As I remember Richard Lloyd's company was responsible for design and construction of the first ever honeycombe aluminium monocoque Porsche 962 and went on to be heavily invoved in the early Audi coupe prototypes at Le Mans and with the Bentley LM campaign.

There are so many that come to mind that Richard was involved with, the BTCC Audis in the early 80s ( Stirling Moss ), the Canon Porsche 956 of Jonathan Palmer, Damon Hill at Le Mans in a Lloyd car..etc..etc

#38 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:57

This was the Gold Seal Racing Triumph Spitfire

http://www.canleycla...le=goldseal.xml

This was the English built and crewed Audi R8C that Lloyd was responible for that ran in the '99 Le mans alongside the German constructed spyder cars

http://www.ultimatec...num=1&carnum=34

#39 Haine Kane

Haine Kane

• 302 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 10:07

vVery sad news,

Two sympathics guys I met at LE MANS ...

RIP... :( :cry:

Advertisement

#40 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,120 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 10:17

Originally posted by Nanni Dietrich
Sad news.

Did David Leslie win a Formula Atlantic Championship in early 80s?

Yes Nanni, he won the 1980 UK FAt series, in the beautifully prepared Hope Scott Ralt RT4. Its fair to say this wasn't the most competitive series ever, but David walked it. Very much a lost talent I always thought, this is a real tragedy.

Richard Lloyd's Porsches were fabulous weren't they. For a time, 1984-87, they really took it to the works Porsches/Jags/Mercs in Group C.

#41 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 11:39

A dreadful, tragic business, my sincerest condolences to all concerned.

I spoke to David Leslie a few years ago prior to driving the Tojeiro-Buick at Goodwood and asked him for advice. He was very helpful and pleasant whilst Richard Lloyd used to run a VW tuning shop in King's Road, Hammersmith during the mid-1980s just down the street from where I worked.

Meanwhile I was concerned to hear an experienced pilot on Sky News this AM explaining that the Citation he had flown back in the late 1970s apparently did not have enough power to stay airborne on one engine when fully loaded.

One wonders what the safety margins/standards are for non-commercial craft in this 'private' category, I would have assumed that a small modern jet would have been more than capable of flying on one engine, fully laden or not, but then I know little about aircraft.

#42 kevthedrummer

kevthedrummer

• 479 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 12:07

Very sad news. I have great memories of watching David in the Ecurie Ecosse Cavalier at Knockhill during the nineties. Condolences to all of those affected by this tragedy.

#43 Kevan

Kevan

• 518 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 13:00

Richard Lloyd's Porsches were fabulous weren't they. For a time, 1984-87, they really took it to the works Porsches/Jags/Mercs in Group C

I heard the news in a phone call from my mother last night- truly awful news

The second race meeting I ever went to was the Silverstone Group C race in 1985- we'd won tickets in a competition in the local paper. Watching Jonathan Palmer in Richard Lloyd's Canon-sponsored Porsche 956, I was hooked on sportscars instantly.

http://www.racingspo...5-05-12-014.jpg

Over the next few years I went to a fair number of the Group C races at Silverstone, Brands and Donington, and the Lloyd team was one I always watched with particular interest.

Similarly, as a regular BTCC spectator in the 90's, I've watched David Leslie countless times in Cavaliers, Nissans, Hondas, Mazdas and Protons, as well as his many sportscar appearances.

My sincere condolences to all of the families affected by this tragedy

#44 nuala4

nuala4

• 1 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 14:18

Heartfelt condolences to both David and Richard's families. I first met Richard in 1989 when he ran a Porsche for Nick Mason at LeMans and always found him and his wife to be warm and friendly. He was one of the true gentlemen of motorsport - a rare breed - and will be sadly missed.

Paula W

#45 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 16:04

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image
Great competitors and ambassadors for motor sport. R.I.P.

#46 carrotcruncher

carrotcruncher

• 100 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 16:12

As some body has already said,Why is it always the good guys?Inever had the pleasure of meeting David or Richard,but admired their prowess from the spectator banks many times.My thoughts,as those of many fans, go out to their surviving families.I am so very,very sorry.........

R.I.P

#47 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 16:29

I'm stunned. David was a great supporter of youngsters as they came up through the ranks, much as he had to, and the hard way too. When I worked for Bernie we flew out of Biggin on a very regular basis, and it always struck me that the houses were getting really close, but we only had one close shave, landing into Biggin over the valley, whe we were caught by a gust of wind, but as soon as I heard on the TV a plane had gone down there, I just knew it was linked to motor racing, we saw so many "names" passing through.

Strangest of all? I'm at home in France, and was going to pop down to Nogaro today..................

I am seeing too many names appear in the obit's that mean something to me. :cry:

#48 richie

richie

• 444 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 17:16

Originally posted by RTH
This was the Gold Seal Racing Triumph Spitfire

http://www.canleycla...le=goldseal.xml

This was the English built and crewed Audi R8C that Lloyd was responible for that ran in the '99 Le mans alongside the German constructed spyder cars

http://www.ultimatec...num=1&carnum=34

A name missing from the Gold Seal Racing Triumph Spitfire Team is driver Peter Long, who lived within a mile of my home in Bromley. I accompanied him to several races.

#49 BRM MICK2

BRM MICK2

• 87 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 17:18

A very sad loss , especially having seen David and Colin Macrae at Goodwood such a short time ago

RIP to all

Posted Image

Posted Image

Mick

#50 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 18:20

The accident made one of top stories tonight here on national TV-news together with Mad Bob's "democratic" political elections up north in Zim. The former naturally came as a shock to me as a motorsport enthusiasts.