Davey Evans RIP

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 22:14

Posted Image
Davey Evans working on the Carl Haas entered CanAm Lola.
Written by: Robin Miller 05/06/2008
"Davey Evans was the quintessential old school mechanic who lived, loved and breathed auto racing for much of his 63 years.
He could do just about anything that was needed on a race car and he was just such a pleasure to work with and to know,” said John Tzouanakis, team manager for Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing. “It’s just so tragic that he’s gone.”
Davey Evans died early Sunday morning following an altercation at a westside Indianapolis bar, the Kazablanka on Rockville Road. According to fellow team members, he was savagedly kicked in the head, collapsed and pronounced dead a short time later at Wishard Hospital.
Following an autopsy on Monday, the Marion County coroner’s office determined that stress from the fight induced the stroke and Indianapolis police have ruled Evans’ death as a homicide. Police said they are investigating a person who fought with Evans and that the county prosecutor’s office will decide whether to file charges.It was reported that the attacker had tried to provoke several people into fighting before exchanging words with Evans.
“One of the things we grieve about the most is not only losing him but that his final moments in this world were totally atypical of how he lived his life,” said Brian Lisles, general manager of Newman/Haas/Lanigan. “He was a quiet thoughtful person who just went out to have a meal and a beer and was walking back to the hotel when this happened. We would like to see the person who started this brought to justice.”
A native of London, Evans began working on race cars as a teenager before taking a job with Lola Cars. He came to America in 1970 and began working for Carl Haas, the longtime Lola distributor. After wrenching Haas’ Can-Am and F5000 cars, Evans became a fixture at the Indy car team started by Paul Newman and Haas in 1983. In 1971 in the CanAm series he was Jackie Stewart's mechanic.
photo Gil Munz - scanned for site Ike Smith

Advertisement

#2 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

• 977 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 22:30

Caught the news of this on another forum. Very sad.

RIP Davey

:cry:

#3 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 22:31

I hope they catch the sob who did this. I'm very sad to hear about this, another great racer gone.

RIP Davey!

#4 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 23:37

Posted Image
Davey Evans with Jim Hall 2.
Davey was a mentor to many in motor racing. He was a get it done kind of guy. Here he was helping the Brian Redman driven Haas/Hall F-5000 car at Elkhart Lake. The young blonde kid is Jim Hall 2. Davey is on his right. Also in picture Jim Hall and Carl Haas and of course Brian Redman.

Davey Evans was not married and had no children. A memorial service will take place on Wednesday, May 7 at 7:30 p.m. in the Pavilion at the Brickyard Crossing Resort, 4790 West 16th Street, Indianapolis, IN 46222. All who knew Davey are invited to attend and share their memories. Another service will be held at a later date in Chicago.

photo Mil Ovan Jr.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 10 May 2013 - 06:54.

#5 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,812 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 02:15

:(

#6 swede917

swede917

• 75 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 22:09

Gordon Kirby has wriitten a nice piece about Davey:

http://www.gordonkir...t_is_no126.html

#7 Scuderia SSS

Scuderia SSS

• 251 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:23

What an awful way to leave this planet.
Bahh, violence...never was there a worse disease

RIP Davey.

#8 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 21:27

Posted Image
This picture is from Laguna Seca '75 F-5000.
You can see Davey Evans with his hand up on the far left. That's Jonesy Morris behind Mario's car (he was the crew chief on Al Unser's car). Jim Hall in Cowboy hat is to Davey's right. John Saunders-Hyde, Mario's crew chief is on the far right in the photo. Next to John, by Mario's car, is Terry Stokes. Scott Dennison is behind Al's rear wing.

Jonesy Morris's thoughts on his friend Davey Evans: "All those years with Lothar, Hogan and Vel's, Davey was always the mechanic we had to beat. He was a great guy and a good friend. I had the pleasure of working with him at Galles Racing in 1983.
Davey left Haas for a short time and worked for Galles. I really enjoyed working with him.
I last saw Davey in 2002, he told me that he regretted not ever having a family, but he had a huge family of friends right there in the paddock. "
He was not the kind of guy that I would expect to be in a fight.
RIP Davey
Jonesy Morris

all identification Jonesy Morris- photo lent site Joney Morris collection.

#9 Flat Black

Flat Black

• 480 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 21:45

What a bloody shame.

Hope the murderer pays the ultimate price.

#10 JB Miltonian

JB Miltonian

• 548 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:47

A snippet in today's paper says:

"James P. Bracken of Indianapolis is being held without bond after being charged with murder in the death of Indy Car team mechanic David 'Davey' Evans during a fight May 4 outside an Indianapolis bar."

I might just add, that in Hollywood "entertainment" (which I LOATHE) people get beaten, and shot, and stabbed, and kicked in the head all the time, and they generally just pop back up, wipe off a little trickle of blood, and move on to the next scene. Hey, it's no big deal, right? And some people are stupid enough to believe that. Mr Bracken probably didn't intend to kill Mr Evans. I blame Hollywood. Terribly senseless.

#11 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:53

Originally posted by JB Miltonian
A snippet in today's paper says:

"James P. Bracken of Indianapolis is being held without bond after being charged with murder in the death of Indy Car team mechanic David 'Davey' Evans during a fight May 4 outside an Indianapolis bar."

Good.

#12 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 12:41

Posted Image
Davey Evans at Pocono in 1973.
This picture of Davey Evans was taken by a 15 year old Jim Knerr. Davey was helping Brian Redman and the Haas/Hall F-5000 Team on this weekend. They won the event.

photo Jim Knerr.
Here are more of Jim's great pictures: http://flickr.com/photos/27666849@N04/